Sunday, 6 September 2026

The Quay To Happiness

Hannah Meyer comes from a very wealthy family. She has two older brothers, Matt and Luke. Their partners are Lois and Mary. Hannah's mother passed away a few years ago and her father has become very protective of her. 

Chad Mercer is a young man who works in a factory and he takes a few days off work to travel down to the coast, to enjoy the sun and beaches. Little does he know what awaits him

Chad is having a drink at a bar on the waterfront of San Jorge. He's alone because a mate he was catching up with had just texted to say he coudn't join him as planned. Sitting near him is Hannah Meyer, who popped in for a drink before heading back to the family yacht. Their eyes keep meeting until Chad decides to act.

Chad: Hi, do you mind if I join you?
Hannah: I guess. I'm not staying long.
Chad: So what do you have planned?
Hannah: My two brothers, their partners and I are about to head out on our family yacht along the coast. It's a one night away trip.
Chad: Sounds nice. Need any crew? He says it with a cheeky smile.
Hannah pauses: Actually, my dad had lined up a mystery young man to join us. Someone from a family dad does business with but he couldn't make it. So just the five of us now.
Chad: Well, I'm on vacation for a few days. Just saying.
Hannah: Are you serious? You're actually offering?
Chad: I can fish, I can sail, and I'm a great conversationalist. Plus, I've got nothing but time and a very small suitcase at my accommodation.
Hannah looks at him closely and smiles for the first time.
Hannah: My brothers are insufferable but if you can handle that, come with me . I can't believe I'm doing this.

















Chad runs back to his budget accommodation and collects his bag. He meets back with Hannah and they soon arrive at the yacht. Chad stands back, impressed by the pleasure craft. Luke is getting things ready on the yacht and he stops. He looks and wonders who Hannah is bringing on board.
Hannah: Luke, this is Chad. He's joining us.
Luke: Who's Chad?
Chad: Hi, I'm a late recruit. He extends his hand to Luke, who after a hesitation, shakes Chad's hand.
Luke: Eh, okay. Hannah will show you your quarters.
As they walk through the yacht, Chad whispers to Hannah: Luke didn't seem too impressed.
Hannah: He's always like that. Welcome to the family.

Chad is shown a modest room and he puts his small case on a small cabinet next to the bed. As they walk out, Luke's girlfriend Mary bumps into them and they exchange pleasantries.

As Chad and Hannah go back on deck, the second brother Matt and his companion Lois arrive.
Luke: Late again bro? We nearly left without you.
Hannah: Respect your elders, Luke. He sees Chad. So who do we have here, Hannah? Your new beau?
Hannah: No, just a friend. I need someone to dance with tonight. Glares at Matt.
Matt: No need to be defensive, little sis. Welcome Chad. Let's vamos!
The hired captain starts things up, a crew member unties the boat and the engines soon have the luxury barge heading out of the harbour.  There isn't much to do so Chat and Hannah sit at the stern and chat.


Hannah:
 So what do you do for a living Chad?
Chad: I work for a kitchen and wardrobe manufacturer. I do some work at the factory, installations and design work occasionally, when the boss is on vacation.
Hannah: Sounds interesting.
Chad: Very satisfying when the customer is over the moon with your work. And what about you?
Hannah: I do accounting at one of my father's offices. She looks away with a sad look.
Chad: Is that a problem?
Hannah: He wanted me to be a doctor but I dropped out after six months. It just wasn't me, she says ruefully. Dad gave me this job but is...well, it's not what he expected from me.
Chad: Accountant sounds a fine occupation to me.
Hannah: Thanks Chad. I'm glad you're here.

The boat soon reaches the coast and they anchor near a beautiful cove.
Matt: Right, who's for a swim?
They all get into their swimwear but Chad doesn't have any. Hannah rummages around and finds an old pair of Luke's. They plunge in and swim around. Then they head to a rocky part of the bay and confirming the depth of the water, start diving into the sea. Each dive is from a higher point until they can't go higher. Then they swim back to the boat. 

A lunch is produced by the chef and they then sit around, sunbathing.
Chad: Do you all come here often?
Matt: Not as much as we'd like. Getting everyone available at the same time is problematic. Usually we do this all together once a summer. Otherwise, separately and with a few invitees.
Lois to Matt: A couple of the doors and drawers in the galley need attention.
Chad: Maybe I could help?
Luke: We're all into academic work. Practical, we're not.

Chad goes, has a look, and on his finding a few basic tools which he improvises with, manages to get things shipshape. The brothers are best pleased and Chad now feels more accepted and not so much an outsider.

In the evening, the music is wound up a notch, the drinks cabinet becomes a focal point as does the barbecue. Fine food and drink, along with dancing is enjoyed by all well into the night. Then it's bedtime and they all retire. 

The next morning, one by one, bleary eyed people emerge and the coffee machine earns its keep. After a dip and light breakfast served by the chef, they cruise around the area and then head back to San Jorge.
Chad and Hannah disembark, then walk along the waterfront promenade, hand in hand. 


They then return to the yacht, where they all say goodbye and its time for Chad to head back to his accommodation.
Chad: Can we meet again soon?
Hannah: I'd like that. Give me your number.
They exchange numbers and then Chad goes home, back to the factory and Hannah to her office. They text several times a day and talk about meeting up, although they live a few hundred kilometers apart. 

Hannah starts becoming a little less enthusiastic as she contemplates her father's reaction.
Hannah texts: I'd love to see you again, but my dad has got these big plans for my life and I'm worried he'd not approve of us.
Chad: Why not? I'm a hard worker and an honest bloke.
Hannah: Because 'hard worker' needs to be coupled with 'high flier'.
Chad: So I'm not good enough?
Hannah: To me you are. Look. I'll get back to you.
The next day: I told dad about you. He's agreed to meet you at the city where you live tomorrow at the Stanton Hotel complex. Lunch time in the restaurant.

Chad dresses up and anxiously walks into the hotel. He is ushered to a table where Mr Meyer is sitting. Mr Meyer shakes hands in a brusque way and they sit uneasily.
Mr Meyer: So, you're the man who inveigled his way onto my yacht? I don't appreciate your interest in Hannah. She is used to a way of life you could never offer her.
Chad is crestfallen: I understand Mr Meyer that I live a life well below yours materially...
Mr Meyer interjects: Then we both agree!
Chad: Is that all that matters? What about two people who may make a good couple together and live a life that's comfortable and content?
Mr Meyer scoffs: I want more for Hannah than that. Now, let's order.

They order and they eat quietly.
Chad: May I ask, why you've come to meet me?
Mr Meyer: I wanted to see for myself what kind of man would be bold enough to intrude on a family vacation. Anyway, the point is I've come to ask you to leave my daughter alone. That includes texting.

Chad stands and although happy to shake hands, Mr Meyer's demeanor discourages him from trying. He goes home and changes back to work clothes and is about to head to the factory when he gets a text.
Hannah: How did it go?
Chad phones and explains what occurred. Hannah is upset and after some details are shared, they end the call.


That night, a call to Chad's phone.
Hannah:
Chad, I want to come over and move in with you. I don't know what sort of accommodation you have, but it will be fine with me.
Chad: Hannah, I want you to come over so badly but let's not be rash. Let's talk to your father and at least show that we want his acceptance, if not his blessing.

They agree, and Chad travels to Hannah's home city and they go into Mr Hilton's office together.
Mr Hilton: I thought this infatuation would have run its course by now, but no. So are you both determined to keep in contact with each other?
Hannah: Father, I love him and he makes me happy.
Mr Hilton: Love? He scoffs. Puppy love more like it.
Chad: Sir, I love her too, and we've thought about this.
Mr Hilton: Fine. You want to be together? Then prove it. Chad, I've decided to expand into building houses and run my own kitchen and closet factory. It will also include office cabinetry and furniture manufacturing. I need a manager and I want you to run it. You can live in the staff accommodation I'm including in the factory. 
Chad: Wow, I'll hand my notice in where I am now and be over in two weeks.
Mr Hilton: If you can run my business and keep my daughter happy, I'll give my consent.

Chad agrees and is given a contract. He moves into the staff quarters. Hannah continues to live at home with her father. After six months, Chad is summoned to Mr Hilton's office.
Mr Hilton: I must admit, Chad. I underestimated you. You've proven that you've got the drive and the skill to succeed on your own terms.
Chad: Thank you, sir.
Mr Hilton then calls his secretary and Hannah joins them from accounts.
Mr Hilton: I am prepared to accept you into the family Chad. Hannah and Chad look at each other with disbelief. The rest is up to you now.

















They soon set a date and get married. By now Chad has his own home he's paying off, situated in one of the Hilton housing developments. Hannah joins Chad at his work as a receptionist and does the accounts. They have worked for everything they've got and they are content with their lot in life. 
Affluence? It doesn't always make one happy. There is something to be said for contentment, the key to a happy and satisfying life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment