Thursday, 3 September 2026

A Fitness Holiday

Richard Lucas (Rick) is visiting his wealthy uncle, Archibald Lucas (Archie). Archie says he wants Rick to go to a health spa resort to enjoy life and get fit. All expenses paid.

Archie:
I'd like to introduce you to Rose Underwood, a fitness trainer who will accompany you Rick, and help you get into shape.
Rick stands up: Pleased to meet you Rose. He is immediately smitten by Rose's smile. Rick then turns to his uncle. This is very generous, uncle.
Archie: Well, I'm not without a penny or two and I can't take it with me. I've have a private plane and my chauffeur will take you to it. I see you've both got the memo and have your travel bags with you. Enjoy yourself Rick.
Rick: I will uncle, and thanks again.

They drive to the private airstrip and the car departs. Suddenly, a man comes from behind with a gun and orders them into another plane that is parked nearby. They enter and sit.
Gunman: I believe you have a wealthy relative, Richard. He is fond of you and would do anything for you. We will take you somewhere safe and then proceed with the negotiations. I'm sorry lady, you have to come too. We don't want you raising the alarm. Both do as you're told and everything will be fine. Oh, and your father's faithful pilot? He's joined the dark side and will be financially rewarded accordingly. The gunman goes forward and sits by the pilot.

They sit in silence. Rick looks at Rose and she is stern faced. She surveys the plane and notices that it's actually used for skydiving. It has a roll up canvas door. She also notices a couple of parachutes and a tandem harness.
Rose in a soft tone: I have experience in skydiving. I see some parachutes on the floor. If we can overpower the gunman, that's our escape.
Rick in a soft tone back: Why not just overpower him. Why the need to jump?
Rose whispers: Think, Rick. There will be people at the other end waiting for us. If the gunman comes past, we jump him and disarm him. You point the gun at the pilot and I will get us ready for the jump. The only problem is I hate using a parachute I didn't pack.
Rick quietly: Thanks for that last bit of information, not. I'd rather take my chances with my uncle paying the ransom.
Rose: Not all abductions end well, even if the ransom is paid. Be ready and when I give the thumbs up, we go into action.
The wait is nerve racking. Then the gunman walks back toward the rear of the plane. Rose gives the signal and is out of her seat in a flash. Rick is a quick mover when he has to be and they pile on the gunman and get his gun. The surprise attack floors him.
Rose: Hold the gun while I tie him up. Rose finds some rope on the messy floor. Now point it at the pilot while I get us ready.
Rick's heart is pounding. The pilot looks shocked but stays put, flying the plane. The exit door is rolled back and they are descending at a rate of knots. At first Rick is in shock, then he starts to relax and even starts smiling as they fall.

They reach an open field and land safely. They then remove their parachute gear.
Rick: There must be a farm nearby. 
They get onto a road and start walking. After a while, they reach a river. 
Rose: There could be a boat along the river bank. Let's look. They spend some time walking along when by chance, sitting on the bank is a raft. They look closer to find two oars and two life jackets lying inside. Wow! Let's borrow it and head downstream. There will be a habitation along the river somewhere. 
Rick: The boat owners are probably near. 
Rose: The boat is dry, so it hasn't been used today. They could be anywhere. In view of the circumstances, it's necessary, don't you think? We need to let your uncle know we're safe.


Rick reluctantly nods and they push it off from the bank. The jump in and the ride is smooth. Rick's stress starts to melt off him. Then a chortling noise and they look at each other. They round a bend and straight into white water rapids. With no time to talk, they desperately try to avoid being swamped as they spin and bounce down the choppy water.

After a few minutes of terror, the river returns to more settled conditions.
Rick: Well done, Rose. You're supposed to be looking after me, not have me killed.
Rose: How was I to know? She looks defensive. Well, we had life jackets.
Rick sarcastically: Oh, I forgot about that. So, are there any other ways on how to die you can conjure up?
Rose ignores his jibe and focuses on paddling.

They reach a dam and get out of the boat. They look down the valley that the water follows once released from its holding pen.
Rick: We are in the middle of nowhere. The dam seems unmanned. What now?
Rose: This place looks familiar. There is an alpine coaster ride nearby that I enjoyed about a year ago. It will take us to a town down the valley. Let's see if we can find the operator.

They are soon at the top of a rail track that winds down through trees. The operator seems to be away somewhere. As it's not the tourist season, it is not open and the locked depot is full of toboggans. One. however is sitting outside, perhaps no room inside for it. Rose examines the cart.
Rose: This looks fine. Let's take this one. All it has is a break, so not hard to operate. 

They get in and push off. The ride is fast and exhilarating, Rick grinning from ear to ear. They reach the bottom and see a town.

Rick: Nice to have an excursion that didn't involve facing death. Still an adrenaline rush all the same. 

They walk into town and there are plenty of shops and cafes. They enter a small, quaint hotel called The Adventurer's Rest. They take a room for the night and from there ring uncle Archie. He had no idea there were any problems. They get a room and spend the evening talking about their lives.
Rick: I've spent ten years in the same job, doing the same things, every single day. I think I've forgotten how to actually live.
Rose: Maybe this disaster of a trip was exactly what you needed to wake up.
They sleep in a bed each and the next day, Archie's driver arrives.

When they get back to Archie's mansion, he is so happy to see them.
Archie: I must say, Rick, I didn't expect you to turn a health retreat into an adventure movie.
Rick: Not my idea, Uncle. Rose was the one who wanted to jump out of a plane, shoot the rapids and ride a toboggan.
Rose: Hey, we survived, didn't we?
Rick: Just. He gives Rose a wink.
Archie: I have a confession, Rick. What happened was no accident. It was staged. The timing had to be spot on, down to when the gunman walked past you. Rose knew where to land and maneuvered you there. The boat was arranged as was the toboggan ride. I want you to enjoy life, Rick. You spend too much time living a routine life. Did you enjoy it?
Rick: I'm speechless. Pauses. Yes, I did. It was amazing, as was Rose.
Archie: I still want you to make that holiday resort. The luggage you left on the plane is now in your suite waiting for both of you. My jet is ready and waiting.


Rick and Rose smile at each other and sit together on the edge of the desk: We need a holiday, Rose.
Rose: I'm a fitness trainer. What you just did was nothing compared to what I have planned for you. Scuba diving, ziplining, flyboarding, paragliding....
Rick: Can I have a rain check, uncle?
Rose takes his hand: This way, Rick. You'll love it, all of it. I promise.
She leads Rick out with Rick looking back at his uncle pleadingly.
Uncle Archie smiles: Off you go, you too. 
Once they have left, he reflects out loud: They would make a fine couple. Rick needs a Rose in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment