Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Photo Studio

Giles Chisholm runs a photographic studio in a mid sized town. He has a photographer (Millie Small) but does everything else to keep costs down. He wants to have a successful business but is not ambitious beyond that. One day, Millie comes in with Cicilia Hawkins and suggests Giles give her a trial as a model.

Millie: Giles, this is Cicilia, We met in a bar last night. She's got that 'je ne sais quoi' look about her don't you think?
Giles looks up from his accounts and glances at Cicilia. Giles thinks‘Yes, she is nice but we already have too many girls on our books’ but holds back the words. Pleased to meet you. Take a seat Cicilia. Can I have a word Millie?

Giles steps into the studio from reception and closes the door: Millie, haven't I told you before to stop bringing in all these young ladies? I find it hard to say no and now we have so many on our books, we can't give work to all of them. They keep ringing me up, asking if I have anything for them.
Millie: But Giles, look at her. She is just right for that catalogue we're doing for the lingerie company. It's our biggest opportunity yet and we need to nail it. She's got a look. Come on, just give her a trial.
Giles opens the door slightly and peeks at Cicilia, who is sitting in the waiting area. She has a classic look, and yes, she does have something about her. Alright, just a trial.
Millie: Thank you, Giles! You're the best.

Giles walks back into the reception:
 Alright, Cicilia. We'll give you a trial. Just to see if you can fit the look we're going for. Come on into the studio.
Cecilia: Thank you, Mr. Chisholm. I won't let you down.
Giles: Let's just see how the photos come out first. Come on, this way.
Giles leads Cicilia into the studio and points towards the backdrop: Right, let's get started. Now, can you just stand over there and look at the camera? Millie will tell you what to do.

Millie does some routine shots, they're downloaded quickly and they look at them. It's promising. Millie gets Cicilia a different outfit, one more stylish and revealing and the same result.
Millie: We need you to do some lingerie poses. Are you comfortable with that Cicilia? We understand if that's too much at this stage.
Cecilia: I'm comfortable. As long as they’re tastefully done, I'm fine with it.
Giles: Alright, let's see what we can do. Millie, set up the lights. Cicilia, just relax and be yourself.
The photos are outstanding. Giles looks at Millie and she has that 'I told you so look'. Millie goes over the photos with Cicilia and gives a few suggestions.
Giles: Sit down Cicilia. I'd like to offer you a trial contract. We have a client who’s sent us a lingerie range but subject to their liking what we do, we could secure their services for this range and hopefully further ones. I can offer you $200 for the shoot. I understand if you want to get advice before accepting, but time is of the essence.
Cecilia: That's very fair. I accept.
Giles: Wonderful. Let's get a contract signed and then we can get started on the shoot.
Giles hands Cicilia the contract and shesigns it without a second thought. Giles takes the contract and puts it in his folder.
Giles: Now, let's get started. Millie, please prepare the outfit and a few suggestions on poses. Cicilia, just relax and be yourself.

The shoot is a success. The photos are stunning and Cicilia is just what they were looking for.
Giles: Great. We're done for today.
Cecilia: Thank you, Mr. Chisholm. I enjoyed it.
Giles, Mille and Cicilia sit down in the office.
Giles: I'd like to put you on our books permanently. When we require your services, I can offer you $400 per shoot. We have other clients that we would like to use you for. Your earnings will vary by client and I can give you a heads up on how much a shoot would earn you. The contract is for 3 years. Do you want to have it checked out before signing? I’d expect you would earn $800 per week if we get this lingerie company on board.
Cecilia: No, that's fine. I'm happy with that.
Giles hands the contract over and Cicilia signs it.
Giles: Welcome to the agency, Cicilia. I'm sure we'll do great things together.

It all goes well for about six months when a large agency expresses interest in Cicilia. She comes to see Giles and Millie sits in.
Cecilia: I've been approached by an agency in a big city. They want me to sign up with them, but I told them I have a contract with you. They are interested in making some arrangement with you.
Giles: So this sounds like a big break for you Cicilia. We will have to negotiate with the other studio if this is what you want.
Cecilia: I'd really like to take the offer, Giles. It could put me in some very big magazines.
Giles: Well, we'll see. Let's see what they offer.

A few days later the other agency makes an offer. They want to buy out her contract for $3,000.
That's not full compensation considering what they are going to lose and the length of the contract still to run. The other agency comes in and tries to negotiate. They offer $4,000. $6,000 is agreed they release her.

Cecilia: Thank you for everything, Giles.
Giles: You're welcome, Cicilia. Good luck in the big city.

Giles' agency misses Cicilia and some work is lost as a result. Still, it was good that she got her big break. Giles encourages Millie to find someone else with that special look. However, Mille leaves shortly after and is replaced by Arlene Miles.

Three years after she left, Cecilia returns and walks into Glies's studio. 

There is no work today and Arlene is doing the accounts. Meanwhile, Giles is contacting potential business customers. As for Cecilia, is well dressed and much more mature.

Giles looks up: Well, look who's here? Giles gets up and gives Cecilia a hug. Please sit down. This is my photographer, Arlene.
Cecilia: Nice to meet you Arlene. So how are things Giles?
Giles: Not as busy as I’d like.
Cecilia: I have a proposal for you, Giles. Let's talk business.
Giles: Business? You're back in town for good? I thought you were in Milan.
Cecilia: I was. But I've made my money, and I've seen how the world works. It’s tough at the top and the pressures to be thin and doing shoots you don’t feel comfortable doing is constant. I've been back only a few days but have already heard how this studio is struggling. What happened?
Giles: Well, we gradually lost customers and finding new ones is proving tough.
Cecilia: That's because you're too kind...and perhaps lost some of your drive? I can change that. I’ll make an offer for the business.
Giles: Buy the studio? But this is my life's work. I can't just sell it.
Cecilia: And just watch it wither on the vine? It deserves better than that, and you know it. Think about it, Giles. Do you need the stress? Arlene looks on, hoping Cecilia does buy the studio and give it a new lease of life.
Giles: Wow, you have changed Cecilia. The world of modelling has matured you, that's for sure.
Cecilia: The world of modelling teaches you that you're only as good as your last shoot. I won't let this place be a failure. Let me see the books if you would allow me to?
Giles hesitiates but then hands over the laptop.
Cecilia looks over them: Exactly as I thought. I'll buy the place for a fair price, and I'll keep you on as a consultant for six months so the transition is smooth.
Giles: A consultant? You mean I wouldn't be the boss?
Cecilia: You'd be the heart of the place, but I'll be the head. Now, let's go over the numbers in more detail.
Giles: Umm, okay. I guess you're right Cecilia. So what is the business worth?
Cecilia: Depending on how much you value your memories, not a lot. But I value the legacy and the physical assets. Let's call it 50k.
Giles: Fifty thousand? That's... not a lot.
Cecilia: I'm a businesswoman, Giles. It's not really worth that to be honest. Now, do we have a deal?
Giles: Umm..He thinks it over then a resigned look crosses his face. Yes, we have a deal.
Cecilia: Good. Now let's get to work. Arlene, clear the desk. We're starting over.

Cecilia gets to work, using her contacts and soon work starts flowing in. She clears out most of the models on the books and brings in a new model that is good but didn't quite make the big time. Now the jobs are really coming in. Cecilia gives Arlene some tips to improve her work. And Giles is doing the accounts.
Giles to Cecilia: I realise I lost my drive and ambition. You’re bringing it back.
Cecilia softens her expression, leaning over the desk and placing a hand on Glies's shoulder: You're the soul of this place, Glies. You provided the foundation that I'm building upon. The transition is always the hardest part, but look, we're actually making money for the first time in a while.

Giles ends his six month transition period: I guess it's time I leave now Cecilia.
Cecilia: I've been thinking. I can't run the creative side alone. I want you to stay as my creative director.
Giles: Creative director? You mean I'd have a say in the shoots?
Cecilia: Exactly. You have an eye for lighting and mood that I can't buy with money. I'll pay you a fair salary.
Giles: I would love to. Thank you Cecilia.

Cecilia was so busy in her career that she had little time for romance. She sees Giles as a kind man that has a good heart. How can she express that, she wonders? She asks him to join her for dinner at a restaurant to celebrate their new arrangement.






















Cecilia: I'm so glad you decided to stay, Giles. This place feels like a team now.
Giles: I'm glad you came back, Cecilia. You saved more than just the business.

Giles looks across at the beauty Cecilia has never lost, despite a tough career at the top of modelling. If only, he had the courage to ask her about starting a relationship. Who will speak up first?
Cecilia decides to put her cards on the table: Do you plan to settle down, Giles?
Giles: I was too busy with the studio, and of late, the finances to think about such things. I must admit, since your return and the less pressure I'm under, I'm realising I have a part of me that is unfulfilled. Do you ever feel that way?
Cecilia: Every single day. The lights of Milan are bright, but they're cold. I want something real. Something that doesn't disappear when the flashes stop. How about we do a date again and see where it leads us? 
Giles: I’d like that Cecilia. I’d like that very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment