Introduction: Brent Holloway wakes up in a tropical resort and has no idea how he got there. Personal trainer Alice Campbell tries to help him find out the truth.
Brent wakes up and sits bolt upright. He feels disorientated, like he's dreaming. He rubs his eyes and looks around again, expecting to see his bedroom at home, but no, it's the same view.
He gets up and looks out the window. The bright sunlight makes him squint but as his eyes adjust, he sees a road outside the resort that draws a line between the hotel facility and pristine white sandy beach. It's early, so apart from two joggers making their way along the water's edge, there is no one to be seen. Brent sits back on the bed, trying to make sense of the situation.
Then there is a knock at the door. Brent opens it. There stands a fit young woman.
Alice: Hi, I'm Alice Campbell, your personal trainer. You signed up for our fitness sessions, starting at 6am. It's six fifteen, Brent. With a tone of disapproval. Bedwear isn't acceptable attire. I'll wait outside while you change....Don't just stand there Brent. Chop, chop.
Brent shuts the door and looks around for his clothes. He opens a suitcase on a bench and there are his clothes. He dresses for activity and opens the door.
Brent: Can you step in for a moment..sorry I forgot your name.
Alice, with hands on her hips: Sleepy head. She steps in. I hope you're not trying to get out of doing exercise? I'm Alice, seeing as you forgot already.
Brent: Er..no. I need a coffee. Do you want one?
Alice: No. Coffee makes you jittery. Let's go.
Alice: What do you mean? You're at the Azure Palms. The finest resort in the Caribbean.
Brent: I don't remember coming here.
Alice laughs: I'm sure you're just jetlagged. Come on.
Brent: No, really, I don't know how I got here.
Alice: You look disorientated. Shall I get a nurse to check you over?
Brent: I don't know. Can we sit for a minute while I come to grips with what's happened?
Alice sighs: Fine. Five minutes. But only five.
Brent: So how do you know my name and room number?
Alice: I'm your personal trainer for the week. Your travel agent booked me when arranging your stay.
Brent: I don't recall dealing with a travel agent.
Alice: Well, you certainly don't remember much this morning.
Brent: This is weird. I just woke up and didn't know where I was.
Alice: Okay, that is really weird. Let's go to the lobby and find some answers.
They go downstairs and reach the front desk. They have confirmation that a Brent Holloway was booked in last night, but the staff at the desk at the time are not here now.
Brent: Can you find out who checked me in?
The receptionist calls the duty manager, who says he will look into it. By now, Alice seems to believe that Brent is genuinely lost.
Alice: You need to get some medical tests done. The resort is isolated, just two boats a week come here with holiday makers and supplies.
Brent: Well, it's not life threatening, so apart from feeling confused, I'm fine.
Alice: Still, physical activity is ruled out. Do you feel drowsy?
Brent: Not too bad. I noticed the swimming pool and I might go and get on a lounger and rest there.
Brent strips off the tracksuit and lies on a lounger and they wait for the manager. After ten minutes, the manager comes over.
Manager: Mr. Holloway. I've investigated and you checked in as per normal.
Alice: I have another client in a few minutes. Why don't you rest here Brent, and if you need help, there is a pool attendant over there.
After dosing for a while, Brent wakes and feels better. He wanders into the reception and ascertains that lunch is included in his stay. He goes to the dining room and sits to eat. Alice looks for Brent and on seeing him, comes and sits next to him.
Alice: How are you feeling?
Brent: Better, thanks.
Alice: Is your memory returning?
Brent: Not yet.
Alice: I have no more bookings today. Do you fancy a swim after lunch. I'll swim with you in case...as a precaution.
They swim for a while and chat. Alice tells of her happy childhood and how she got into being a fitness trainer. Brent says he can't recall his.
They get out of the pool and Brent orders a room service meal. Afterward he goes for an early night.
He wakes up in the morning. feeling much better. He now recalls booking the vacation and flying to a Caribbean island. When arriving at the resort, he went to the bar for some drinks. Then blank. He doesn't know what caused the temporary memory loss but feels so much better getting his memory back.
Brent then recalls that he recently broke up with his girlfriend and that stress had been compounded by a problem he was dealing with at work. A drinking binge coupled with stress can cause this temporary memory loss to happen. Turning to drink wasn't the solution, in fact made things worse. He would in future ensure that wasn't a road he would take if dealing with issues.
The rest of the week goes well, doing recreation and getting into fitness with Alice. He also has some swims in the pool and in the sea with Alice, as her schedule allows.The end of his holiday comes all too quickly, and he knows he will miss the peaceful location and Alice's company even more.
He packs and goes down to reception and then waits for his ride back to the boat to take him to the mainland. Alice comes to say cheerio.
Alice leans against the marble pillar of the lobby: Well, look at you—actually looking like you've had a vacation and not just a very confusing nap, she teases, her voice warm as she reaches out to give his shoulder a playful nudge. I have to admit, you were the most stressful client I've ever had for the first twenty-four hours, but you've got a level of determination in those workouts that most people lack. It's been a pleasure, Brent.
Brent says good bye and gets in the shuttle bus. As he journeys to the boat, he thinks that things don't always have exciting endings. His amnesia wasn't something mysterious, just a case of maybe over drinking.
Then he thinks of the gorgeous Alice. Surely romance was to blossom from that but no, she was friendly but professional, nothing otherwise. Still, he muses, he had a nice break and a lot of fun.
PS. Just kidding. Brent swapped contact details with Alice and they are enjoying an online courtship. Alice's work is seasonal and soon she plans to travel to see Brent and further their friendship.


No comments:
Post a Comment