Steve finishes replacing a dilapidated deck with a larger, new one: Well, it's done Shirley.
Shirley eyes scan the deck: Uh, that's great Steve.
Steve: You don't sound too happy.
Shirley: Oh I am, it's just...
Steve: Is something wrong?
Shirley: Now that I see it finished, I think it needs a railing around it.
Steve: Oh, I see. Well, I can add some railings.
Shirley: That would be perfect.
As Steve is later doing his accounts, he reflects on how he never has to chase payments from Shirley. Money doesn't seem to be a problem. He then wonders what Shirley's work actually is.
Shirley then texts: I'm ready for the wardrobes to be renovated according to the plans you left. Let me know when you can start.
Steve replies: I'll start cutting the MDF sheets later in the week and be able to start next Monday.
Steve arrives and gets stuck in. At morning tea time, Shirley brings him a drink and some food.
Steve: Thanks Shirley. I'll get fat if I work here too often. Not that I'm complaining. I don't do home baking.
Shirley: Well, I like baking. And you're doing a great job. I appreciate a tradesman who is conscientious and respectful.
Steve: Thank you. I've often wondered about your work. It is wonderful that you can operate from home and still meet your needs, hoping Shirley is more open this time.
Shirley hesitates: I'm an accountant. I work from home so I can be here for my son.
Steve: Is it corporate work or local stuff? He asks without trying to sounding intrusive.
Shirley: Mostly corporate. She changes the subject, Steve noticing the deflection. So... do you have any plans for the weekend?
Steve: Not really. Might catch up with some friends. How about you?
Shirley: Just the usual. Taking Tim to soccer. She looks thoughtful. Actually... would you like to come? He's been asking about you.
Steve is surprised but pleased: I'd love to. What time should I be there?
Shirley: Saturday at 10. It's at the Elm Street park. He'll be thrilled. I think he misses not having a male role model.
Steve decides not to ask why there is no man around.
Steve replies: I'll start cutting the MDF sheets later in the week and be able to start next Monday.
Steve arrives and gets stuck in. At morning tea time, Shirley brings him a drink and some food.
Steve: Thanks Shirley. I'll get fat if I work here too often. Not that I'm complaining. I don't do home baking.
Shirley: Well, I like baking. And you're doing a great job. I appreciate a tradesman who is conscientious and respectful.
Steve: Thank you. I've often wondered about your work. It is wonderful that you can operate from home and still meet your needs, hoping Shirley is more open this time.
Shirley hesitates: I'm an accountant. I work from home so I can be here for my son.
Steve: Is it corporate work or local stuff? He asks without trying to sounding intrusive.
Shirley: Mostly corporate. She changes the subject, Steve noticing the deflection. So... do you have any plans for the weekend?
Steve: Not really. Might catch up with some friends. How about you?
Shirley: Just the usual. Taking Tim to soccer. She looks thoughtful. Actually... would you like to come? He's been asking about you.
Steve is surprised but pleased: I'd love to. What time should I be there?
Shirley: Saturday at 10. It's at the Elm Street park. He'll be thrilled. I think he misses not having a male role model.
Steve decides not to ask why there is no man around.
He goes to the game and Tim is a keen if not an outstanding player. After the game, Steve asks them to come around to where he lives. Shirley declines but Tim is so keen, she relents.
Steve shows Tim around the factory, explaining the machines and their functions. Steve puts some of the machines on and points out their potential dangers. Tim is ecstatic. Then they come up to Steve’s apartment above the factory and he puts on a drink and some nibbles.
Shirley: You have a lovely place here, Steve.
Steve: Thanks. It's just a bachelor pad, but it suits me.
Tim is wide eyed: This is awesome! Can I come again?
Steve: Sure thing, champ. Any time.
Shirley: Thank you Steve. That was very kind of you.
Steve: My pleasure. Maybe next time you could stay for dinner?
Shirley hesitates: We'll see.
Steve doesn't push it. He thinks Shirley's thawing but she still has her barriers up.
Shirley, as they're leaving: Thank you again Steve. Tim really enjoyed that.
As Shirley and Tim drive away, Steve can't help but wonder what makes Shirley so guarded.
That night he gets a call from Shirley and she sounds scared.
Shirley: I think there is someone outside Steve.
Steve: Call the police, now.
Shirley: Can you come out and see if it's okay?
Steve: What can I do if it isn't?
Shirley: Don't worry, it's probably my imagination.
Steve: Okay, I'll come, but if I see anything untoward, I will call the police.
Steve drives the ten minutes to their house. He looks around but sees nothing. He gets out of the car and goes to the door. Shirley peeks out the window and then opens the door to him. She looks shaken.
Steve: What's up? Steve enters and Shirley closes the door behind him.
Shirley whispers: I heard someone trying the door handle.
Steve: Okay. I'll stay for a while and keep watch.
Shirley is relieved: Thank you Steve. Tim's asleep and I don't want to disturb him.
Steve sits on the couch with Shirley. Her hands are shaking as she drinks a glass of water.
Steve: Do you think this was just a random stranger or is there an explanation?
Shirley hesitates: I don't know.
Steve: But your reply suggests it could be something you know about.
Shirley: It's complicated.
Steve: If I knew more, I may be of some help brainstorming a solution.
Shirley: Promise not to judge me? Steve nods assuringly.
Shirley: I was adopted and my adoptive parents were emotionally absent. I was desperate for affection and at a young age I started sneaking out of the house at night through my bedroom window. I went to parties and in my quest for affection my morals were non existent.
Steve: I'm sorry to hear that.
Shirley: Anyway, I was approached by a man who offered me work in his night club. I was surprised that he made that offer and said my parents wouldn't approve.
Shirley: You have a lovely place here, Steve.
Steve: Thanks. It's just a bachelor pad, but it suits me.
Tim is wide eyed: This is awesome! Can I come again?
Steve: Sure thing, champ. Any time.
Shirley: Thank you Steve. That was very kind of you.
Steve: My pleasure. Maybe next time you could stay for dinner?
Shirley hesitates: We'll see.
Steve doesn't push it. He thinks Shirley's thawing but she still has her barriers up.
Shirley, as they're leaving: Thank you again Steve. Tim really enjoyed that.
As Shirley and Tim drive away, Steve can't help but wonder what makes Shirley so guarded.
That night he gets a call from Shirley and she sounds scared.
Shirley: I think there is someone outside Steve.
Steve: Call the police, now.
Shirley: Can you come out and see if it's okay?
Steve: What can I do if it isn't?
Shirley: Don't worry, it's probably my imagination.
Steve: Okay, I'll come, but if I see anything untoward, I will call the police.
Steve drives the ten minutes to their house. He looks around but sees nothing. He gets out of the car and goes to the door. Shirley peeks out the window and then opens the door to him. She looks shaken.
Steve: What's up? Steve enters and Shirley closes the door behind him.
Shirley whispers: I heard someone trying the door handle.
Steve: Okay. I'll stay for a while and keep watch.
Shirley is relieved: Thank you Steve. Tim's asleep and I don't want to disturb him.
Steve sits on the couch with Shirley. Her hands are shaking as she drinks a glass of water.
Steve: Do you think this was just a random stranger or is there an explanation?
Shirley hesitates: I don't know.
Steve: But your reply suggests it could be something you know about.
Shirley: It's complicated.
Steve: If I knew more, I may be of some help brainstorming a solution.
Shirley: Promise not to judge me? Steve nods assuringly.
Shirley: I was adopted and my adoptive parents were emotionally absent. I was desperate for affection and at a young age I started sneaking out of the house at night through my bedroom window. I went to parties and in my quest for affection my morals were non existent.
Steve: I'm sorry to hear that.
Shirley: Anyway, I was approached by a man who offered me work in his night club. I was surprised that he made that offer and said my parents wouldn't approve.
Shirley continues: He said he had squared it with them, telling them it would only involve general duties. I was surprised that my parents didn't object. Anyway, I was soon told I needed to do more..if you know what I mean. Shirley's head drops momentarily. I did and it paid well enough but nothing compared to what the club was taking.
Steve: Didn't your parents know about this development?
Shirley: I found out that they had got into debt gambling and they were threatened to make good on what they owed. I was paying it off. I don't know what they knew. Perhaps they chose not to find out, being in a difficult position.
Steve: So how did it get to this, here now?
Shirley: I got pregnant and then had a baby, so I was entrusted with doing some accounting as I couldn't work nights anymore. They trained me well in accounting and I was good at it. They became so trusting, thinking that while I was paying off the debt and a solo mum, I'd be going nowhere.
Shirley: I found out that they had got into debt gambling and they were threatened to make good on what they owed. I was paying it off. I don't know what they knew. Perhaps they chose not to find out, being in a difficult position.
Steve: So how did it get to this, here now?
Shirley: I got pregnant and then had a baby, so I was entrusted with doing some accounting as I couldn't work nights anymore. They trained me well in accounting and I was good at it. They became so trusting, thinking that while I was paying off the debt and a solo mum, I'd be going nowhere.
When Tim was two, they said I needed to work nights again and all that entailed. So one day, before I went back to nights, I stole a sizable amount of money from their account and disappeared with Tim. I changed my name and bought this house, which was rough to start with. It was less noticeable in this location and condition. I decided to slowly renovate to get it how I want it.
Steve: So that's why you have ample money to do the place up. It's certainly looking nice now. Then you wondered if they had caught up with you tonight and why you didn't want the police involved.
Shirley nods: Yes. Technically, I stole the money, but to me, it was unpaid wages. I don't feel like a criminal.
Steve: Well, if it was your former employer calling tonight, I think things would have escalated by now. Regardless, why not install some security lights? You are on the edge of town and have no neighbours immediately by you.
Shirley: That's a good idea Steve. Could you do that?
Steve: Sure, Shirley. I'll look into it tomorrow.
Shirley: Thank you. Shirley looks at the time. It's late and I don't want you driving back home when you're tired.
Steve: I'm fine but worried about leaving you here alone, just in case there is an undesirable in the area. It may be advisable I stay here.
Shirley: All I can offer is the couch.
Steve: That is just fine with me.
Steve: So that's why you have ample money to do the place up. It's certainly looking nice now. Then you wondered if they had caught up with you tonight and why you didn't want the police involved.
Shirley nods: Yes. Technically, I stole the money, but to me, it was unpaid wages. I don't feel like a criminal.
Steve: Well, if it was your former employer calling tonight, I think things would have escalated by now. Regardless, why not install some security lights? You are on the edge of town and have no neighbours immediately by you.
Shirley: That's a good idea Steve. Could you do that?
Steve: Sure, Shirley. I'll look into it tomorrow.
Shirley: Thank you. Shirley looks at the time. It's late and I don't want you driving back home when you're tired.
Steve: I'm fine but worried about leaving you here alone, just in case there is an undesirable in the area. It may be advisable I stay here.
Shirley: All I can offer is the couch.
Steve: That is just fine with me.
Steve steels himself to open up: Shirley, I really bonded with your son Tim, and now hearing your story... he looks pained...your past saddens me, but in no way defines you. Your childhood and subsequent life have been put on you by others. I can tell you are a good person. Shirley tears up, and he holds her hand. So I was wondering if we could make a life together, the three of us.
Shirley smiles: I'd like that. She leans in for a kiss and Steve meets her half way. So maybe not the couch tonight?
Steve: Every cautious bone in my body says let's not rush this. I'd be happy with the couch..for now.
Steve got the security sorted and then offered a marriage proposal, which was accepted. They all now live on the edge of town as a family, with a child on the way. It seems that the door handle incident was random, but it did bring them together. Hopefully, the angry night club owner never finds them.
Shirley smiles: I'd like that. She leans in for a kiss and Steve meets her half way. So maybe not the couch tonight?
Steve: Every cautious bone in my body says let's not rush this. I'd be happy with the couch..for now.
Steve got the security sorted and then offered a marriage proposal, which was accepted. They all now live on the edge of town as a family, with a child on the way. It seems that the door handle incident was random, but it did bring them together. Hopefully, the angry night club owner never finds them.

No comments:
Post a Comment