Friday, 4 September 2026

The Promised Land?

Andy Capewell is a reporter at the Yorkshire Tribune. He is called into the boss's office and offered a dangerous assignment.

Boss: In the mountainous region to the north of the Himalayas, there is rumoured to be a strange people that live in isolation from the rest of the world. One rumour is that it was populated by people from Yorkshire, led by a woman, Hilda Ackroyd. Crazy, I know. The few explorers who have been brave enough to have ventured inside the area have never returned. Even a reporter from this august publication, Roger Hunter, disappeared five years ago.
Andy: I recall Roger, but I was just starting here as a junior when he went on his ill-fated journey. I recall being jealous of him, then sad at his seeming demise. Pauses thoughtfully. Are you wanting me to go sir?
Boss: I would never ask normally, but circulation is down and we need a fantastic story to ignite public passion again for the Tribune. You are young, single and always wanting to go on the most difficult assignments.You can refuse but we are counting on you.
Andy: I'm not superstitious or fearful of the unknown so yes, I'll go. I hope to find Roger, too.
Boss: Excellent. I knew you'd say that, so I took the liberty of arranging a fight to the nearest country, Faristan. 

The boss fossicks through a drawer and produces a travel pouch. Here is your ticket. You go tomorrow. You'll have to make your own way from Faristan as there is no public transport entering the area. Good luck.

Andy leaves Yorkshire and heads to Faristan. He takes a night's accommodation at a hotel there. He buys some local type clothing to blend in, then goes out and finds a local guide.
Andy: Will you take me to the mountains to the south?
Guide: I wouldn't do that if you paid me a king's ransom. Men go and don't return.
Andy gets the same response from all others he speaks to. He gets someone to agree to take him half way, although he is reluctant to do so.

The following day, Andy sets off with his driver. As they get near the area, he is dropped off.
Driver: Good luck, with fear etched on his face.
Andy then starts his long walk into the hills. He camps as he goes, and it takes a week before he is in the mountains proper.

One day he has shaved at a stream and is about to have a simple breakfast. As he crouches by a small fire and heats a billy, he feels he is not alone. He looks up and two women are standing near, with spears. He also stands. 


Andy:
 Good morning. Care for some breakfast? He wonders if they understand.
Woman 1 (in a Yorkshire accent): Who's this then?
Woman 2: An explorer. His presence is a danger to our folk.
Andy: I come in peace. Will you take me to your leader?
Woman 1: We'll take you to the Queen, but if you try anything, you'll find a spear in your back.

Andy quickly packed up his few things and travels where he is directed. He suddenly enters a flat area surrounded by solid walls. There are cave entrances placed along the walls. People, mainly women, stop and stare.

He arrives at a particular cave and is ordered to stop. A sentry enters and returns, beckoning all to enter. Andy walks down a long passage with smooth stone sides and suddenly enters a large chamber. There on a throne sits a woman, obviously the leader. He goes on one knee and bows his head, as instructed.


Queen Xenia: I am Queen Xenia. Who are you and why have you come to our land?
Andy: I'm Andy Capewell, a reporter from the Yorkshire Tribune. I have been sent here to learn about your land and its people.
Queen Xenia's expression gives away nothing. A reporter? You have come from the very place my ancestors fled centuries ago. It is a bold journey for a man who seeks only a story. Tell me, Mr. Capewell, does the world outside still believe we are a myth, or have they simply forgotten where we are?
Andy: It is viewed as a myth by most.
Queen Xenia smiles, glad to know the cat isn't out of the bag. 
Queen Xenia: Then you are one of the few to bridge the gap between legend and reality. We have maintained our peace through silence and shadow. By stepping through our gates, you have disrupted that silence. I must decide whether you are a guest to be honored or a liability to be removed. She gestures with a hand toward the guards as a veiled reminder to Andy of their warrior status. What makes you think you are worth the risk of keeping you alive?
Andy: I have come to learn, nothing more.
Queen Xenia: You will have to earn our trust Mr Capewell. You mustn't try to leave unless by mutual consent. Do we have an agreement?
Andy: We do.
Queen Xenia: Good. We are rich in gold and precious stones. If people on the outside learn of this, then we will be attacked. The myths and the fear are our protection. 
Andy: Your safety is paramount. When I return home, I will say nothing if I feel it would jeopardise what you have here in any way.
Queen Xenia smiles: It will take a lot of trust on our part to let you go. Now we will eat. She claps her hands and men come out of corridors. Tables and chairs are set up and food is brought in. Andy sits where instructed and he, Queen Xenia and several other women join them.

Afterward Andy is led into a lounge. Queen Xenia, two women with spears and Andy.
Queen Xenia: I will give you the history of our people. A Yorkshire lady, Hilda Ackroyd was tired of her male dominated society. She decided to create a female led one and collecting some of like mind, travelled here with some goods and set this society up. We have a succession of queens, with no men ever to take the throne. Hilda, my great grandmother, felt it would be a more peaceful rule that way.
Andy: Has time proved this to be true?
Queen Xenia: There are still differences that cause friction, so not really. However, we retain the tradition anyway. She moves on. Our land hasn't a name as we don't have to differentiate it from other lands that we have no contact with anyway. Society is divided into groups, each one living in a cave system, with many rooms. Each cave system has a woman in charge.

One curious aspect is we give birth to more women than men. Is it the water we drink? We also have concern about the gene pool and intermarrying too much. Our marriage mates are chosen from other cave groups to mix the genes as much as possible. Still, there is always room for new blood.
Andy: A colleague of mine, Roger Hunter was lost trying to find this land.
Queen Xenia's expression softens slightly, a flicker of genuine curiosity crossing her face as she looks at him
Queen Xenia: Roger Hunter...he is well and is now living among us. He has two wives and many children.
Andy: A Poligamist?
Queen Xenia lets out a light, melodic laugh, shaking her head at the concept of his shock. 
Queen Xenia: In our society, a man's value is in his ability to provide children, but he has no authority over women. Polygamy is not a crime here, it is a necessity for the survival of our population. With more women than men...it makes sure all women have a partner and can produce children. Roger found that he quite liked the arrangement. Our family structure is a leader wife, a lesser wife and then the husband.
Andy: So who decides who is the 'leader' wife?
Queen Xenia: The local head of a cave complex evaluates the two women and decides. The marriage ceremony then takes place, which always involves all three. It's an arrangement from day one of the marriage.
Andy: I'd like to meet Roger if I may.
Queen Xenia claps her hands and a male servant comes in. She whispers to him and he departs hurriedly. He will be here shortly.

He soon arrives and the men embrace. They are seated and Andy asks what life is like for him here.
Roger: I'm very happy. I have meaningful work. With a team of men, I'm currently quarrying out another cave system to accommodate our growing population. We are putting the finishing touches to it, such as lighting alcoves, for example.















Andy: And two wives, Roger?
Roger: Yes. It is fine. I let them make the decisions and I take care of the children, six at present.
Andy: Wow. How do you keep up with all those children?
Roger: Each cave system acts as a collective, so while I work, there are always people assigned to keep an eye on everyone's children...So are you going to join us?
Queen Xenia interrupts: Thank you Roger. Back to work. We need that cave ready.
Andy turns to the queen: So what are you going to do with me? You are looking for men to make up the shortfall. You don't really want me going back home and the risk of me exposing your beautiful paradise.
Queen Xenia considers Andy, her voice dropping to a more intimate, thoughtful tone. It is true, we have a deficit of men who can adapt to our ways. The thought of you returning to that 'Tribune' and drawing a map for the world to see is... unsettling. 

She stands up, walking slowly around him. If you were to stay, you would not be a prisoner, but a citizen. You would be provided for, and in return, you would help us ensure our future. But tell me, could a man of the modern world ever truly be content with how we live? You can't try it and then decide later to head home.
Andy: I like what I see. It has a simplicity compared to modern society. The female leadership thing may be hard to accept. I'm all for a more equal distribution of decision making in a marriage.
Queen Xenia: Oh, don't worry Andy. While we talk of women being in charge, sometimes the men have plenty of authority but keep it private. The reverse of your society. The man is the head and woman is the neck? It happens here too, but in reverse.
Andy: So if I decide I want to stay, what is the process?
Queen Xenia: I've already been evaluating you. All those who are accepted to stay here do so with my blessing. If you decide to stay, we already have two young ladies ready for you. You don't get to choose and neither do they. Queen Xenia claps her hands and in walk two, very pretty young ladies. These are my daughters and they need to be married. Any daughters you have will be in line to the throne. So, what do you think Andy? You can sleep on it
Andy hesitates: I don't need to. I'm in. The two young ladies giggle with excitement as they will finally have a husband.


Andy is moved into the new cave system and a wedding service is held. All the people come and join the celebration. Andy is soon the father of a growing family and he does have a lot of say in the family, discreetly of course.

Meanwhile back in Yorkshire, the boss of a newspaper is now resigned to losing another reporter and vows never to send any more. The superstitious Faristan guides note Andy's non return and are even more fearful, if that is possible.

Andy is happy to have married into the royal family and now lives in a world without crime, money or possessions beyond the basics needed. He's happy and is going nowhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment