The music pounds and the dancing is vibrant. Steph stands near a wall, drinking a rum and coke and feeling shy. She knows no one and desides she should leave. Just then, Reuben approaches with a beer in his hand. They smile but can't converse, so he invites Steph to dance with a hand gesture.
They both shimmy together and then Steph indicates they go somewhere quieter. The hallway to the toilets is where they end up, with people moving past at regular intervals.
Steph: I can't even hear myself think in there. My head is actually throbbing.
Reuben: Me too. You dance well. I'm Reuben, by the way.
Steph: Stephanie. But you can call me Steph. She smiles at him, feeling a kinship with this stranger despite the obvious difference in their clothes.
Reuben: I've not seen you here before.
Steph: I usually go to the more exclusive..I mean other places, but I just wanted... something different.
Reuben: Your dress standard is a bit higher end than what most girls wear here.
Steph: Is that a compliment, or are you just noticing that I'm out of place? She lets out a soft laugh, feeling a genuine spark of interest as she looks at Ruben's simple but neat attire.
Reuben: Both. You look like you belong elsewhere.
Steph: Maybe I do. I probably shouldn't have come here. She sighs, the mask of the spoiled socialite slipping for a moment, revealing a flicker of the loneliness that haunts her luxury home.
Reuben: Well, I'm glad you're here. It's a bit loud tonight, isn't it? He leans in slightly, creating a strange, grounding magnetism between them.
Steph: Can we go somewhere else?
Reuben: Sure. They go outside and the quiet is a welcome relief. They see a diner across the road and agree to try it. They sit and they get a milkshake.
Reuben: Me too. You dance well. I'm Reuben, by the way.
Steph: Stephanie. But you can call me Steph. She smiles at him, feeling a kinship with this stranger despite the obvious difference in their clothes.
Reuben: I've not seen you here before.
Steph: I usually go to the more exclusive..I mean other places, but I just wanted... something different.
Reuben: Your dress standard is a bit higher end than what most girls wear here.
Steph: Is that a compliment, or are you just noticing that I'm out of place? She lets out a soft laugh, feeling a genuine spark of interest as she looks at Ruben's simple but neat attire.
Reuben: Both. You look like you belong elsewhere.
Steph: Maybe I do. I probably shouldn't have come here. She sighs, the mask of the spoiled socialite slipping for a moment, revealing a flicker of the loneliness that haunts her luxury home.
Reuben: Well, I'm glad you're here. It's a bit loud tonight, isn't it? He leans in slightly, creating a strange, grounding magnetism between them.
Steph: Can we go somewhere else?
Reuben: Sure. They go outside and the quiet is a welcome relief. They see a diner across the road and agree to try it. They sit and they get a milkshake.
Reuben: So, you clearly come from the west side of town.
Steph: Is it that obvious? I just... I wanted to see what it was like. It feels more real. Less like a staged play where everyone is pretending to be happy. She stirs her milkshake with a straw, her eyes searching his for a sign that he understands the void her wealth can't fill.
Reuben: I get that. For me, it's the opposite. I spend most of my time wishing I was somewhere not so rough. Eastside is real but not always in a nice way.
Steph: I think we're both just looking for something else, but nothing's perfect. As my mom says, it's rarely a win, win.
Reuben: True. So are you working or studying something?
Steph: Studying art history, but my father wants me to do business. He doesn't really care what I want, just that I'm successful and he sees the business course as a safe and sure road to take.
Reuben: My dad never cared about my grades, he just cares that I'm not in the way. He gives a small, cynical smile. I'm an apprentice mechanic.
Steph: It's good you're getting a trade. She pauses thoughtfully. I think we're both similar, but in different circumstances
Reuben: Maybe we could go out again sometime?
Steph hesitates: Er..I have a boyfriend already, Ryan's his name.
Reuben: So where is he tonight?
Steph: He's... away. And I'd thought I'd try the other side of town as Ryan won't bring me. He likes his mates and more sophisticated venues. He's also not that confident out of his comfort zone.
Reuben: Well, you were brave coming here on your own. I wouldn't have recommended it. There are some bad dudes around here.
Steph: I felt like I needed a bit of an adventure. I'm tired of the same old things.
Reuben: Now we've had the adventure. Are you heading home now, or do you want something more?
Steph hesitates: I guess I will head home, now starting to lose her confidence and wondering where this might be leading. It's been really nice meeting you Reuben. I guess we may not cross paths again, but I wish you well.
Reuben looks dispondent: I'd be lying if I said that's fine. Here's my cellphone number. Text if you ever feel inclined.
Steph looks at the number on the napkin, then back at Reuben: I'll think about it. She smiles a genuine, warm smile but realises that's not an option she will explore. She has Ryan anyway.
Reuben: I get that. For me, it's the opposite. I spend most of my time wishing I was somewhere not so rough. Eastside is real but not always in a nice way.
Steph: I think we're both just looking for something else, but nothing's perfect. As my mom says, it's rarely a win, win.
Reuben: True. So are you working or studying something?
Steph: Studying art history, but my father wants me to do business. He doesn't really care what I want, just that I'm successful and he sees the business course as a safe and sure road to take.
Reuben: My dad never cared about my grades, he just cares that I'm not in the way. He gives a small, cynical smile. I'm an apprentice mechanic.
Steph: It's good you're getting a trade. She pauses thoughtfully. I think we're both similar, but in different circumstances
Reuben: Maybe we could go out again sometime?
Steph hesitates: Er..I have a boyfriend already, Ryan's his name.
Reuben: So where is he tonight?
Steph: He's... away. And I'd thought I'd try the other side of town as Ryan won't bring me. He likes his mates and more sophisticated venues. He's also not that confident out of his comfort zone.
Reuben: Well, you were brave coming here on your own. I wouldn't have recommended it. There are some bad dudes around here.
Steph: I felt like I needed a bit of an adventure. I'm tired of the same old things.
Reuben: Now we've had the adventure. Are you heading home now, or do you want something more?
Steph hesitates: I guess I will head home, now starting to lose her confidence and wondering where this might be leading. It's been really nice meeting you Reuben. I guess we may not cross paths again, but I wish you well.
Reuben looks dispondent: I'd be lying if I said that's fine. Here's my cellphone number. Text if you ever feel inclined.
Steph looks at the number on the napkin, then back at Reuben: I'll think about it. She smiles a genuine, warm smile but realises that's not an option she will explore. She has Ryan anyway.
They walk outside and exchange a polite hug. Steph steps to the curb and hails a taxi. Reuben walks home alone, back to a home with his solo dad who is probably entertaining a woman he picked up during the evening. How he hates that and the 'What are you doing home so early' look. If only he could get away and make a better life for himself. He hopes Steph texts sometime...but feels that's a wish that is never to be fulfilled.

No comments:
Post a Comment