The family are sitting at the dining table for breakfast. No devices are allowed.
Mary: Dad, I'm playing a major part in the school play tonight. You will be there?
Oliver: Sure darling. I wouldn't miss it for anything.
Bridget: Let's hope your boss Clive doesn't have other ideas Oliver.
Oliver: We aren't busy at work and nothing is planned, so I’ll be there.
James: You always say that dad but but you missed me playing in the soccer final last year, remember?
Oliver has a pained look come over his face: We had a major business deal to close, but I won't let that happen again.
Then the phone rings and Oliver knows who it is
Oliver: Hello Clive.
Clive: Oliver, get to the office now. There is an emergency. Hangs up.
Oliver: Something has come up at work. I have all day to fix it so I will be there Mary. He hugs Bridget and waves at the kids. Bridget is concerned Oliver will miss another special event of his children.
Oliver arrives at work.
Clive looks concerned: The Fairweather contract is at risk of collapsing. They say that our programme isn't doing all that they expected. They are talking about using their get out clause and taking the contract to a competitor.
Oliver: The programme did everything they wanted from it when we put our sales pitch to them.
Clive: I know. I wonder if they want to renegotiate the price or switch to another company and have found a loophole. A competitor may have come in with a lower offer.
Oliver: We have a long standing relationship with them. I think they would rather deal with us.
Clive: You're probably right. Anyway I'll book you a flight today with your colleague Amanda. You two will have to rescue the deal. It's a massive contract, we can't afford to let it slip through our fingers.
Oliver: Can Reece go with Amanda?
Clive: No, you are the only one who can handle the Fairweather group.
Oliver: Well, I can go tomorrow.
Clive: No. Now.
Oliver: But Clive, my daughter has her school play tonight.
Clive: Oliver. You're a great salesman. You're the best I've got. You know how much this deal is worth. The board is breathing down my neck. I need you there. Now.
Oliver: So if I had a medical emergency right now and was rushed to hospital, what would you do Clive?
Clive: I would wish you a speedy recovery, and then I would send whoever was next in line. But you are not in hospital, are you? You're just wanting to go to a school play. I'm not saying family isn't important, but this is business. You know the score. Get your suitcase and go.
Oliver sighs: I've done this time and again. My family roll their eyes when I say I will come to something they want me to attend. It's time the company compromised.
Clive: Compromise? Oliver, this is Computer Solutions. We don't compromise, we conquer. Now get going.
Oliver: You will have to get Reece to do it Clive.
Clive: I'll be honest with you Oliver. Your performance in the last quarter has been a bit... lacking. Now, you can go to the play, or you can ensure your position here remains secure. It's your choice.
Oliver: If my performance isn't up to scratch, may I suggest Reece? Unless his performance is even worse than mine.
Clive: Don't be smart, Oliver. Go. Now.
Oliver: For once, family first. You need to get someone else.
Clive: Fine. But don't expect a bonus this year. In fact, don't expect anything from me for a while. Now get out of my office.
Oliver walks back to his desk. He has finally put family first and if that means no bonus or even having to find another job, so be it. He knows his performances are up to scratch. That's why he is so much in demand. But life is about give and take. It's time Computer Solutions did some giving.
Oliver gets home and Mary is at school, preparing for her play. Bridget comes over to him and throws her arms around his neck.
Bridget: You stayed! I was convinced you would be detained and miss the play.
Oliver: I can't miss this. It didn't go down well. I had a blow up with Clive but stood my ground.
Bridget: We have a mortgage! We can't afford to have you out of work.
Oliver: If I did have to find another job, my pay would be lower, but if we economised, then we could manage or even downsize the house. We can't have it all ways. The kids want me to be there for them, then they will have to accept that comes with a price.
Bridget: You're a great father Oliver. Budgeting isn't my strength but with some coaching I might learn.
Oliver: I haven't lost my job yet, but if push comes to shove, then it's family first whenever possible.
They go to the play and it is a success. Mary is brilliant and Oliver is so proud. Mary comes out of the costume room and runs over to her dad Oliver, hugging him.
When they get home, Oliver calls a family conference and explains the problem he had getting to the play
Oliver: So are you prepared to have fewer things if I put the family first? They slowly all agree but not convincingly. They clearly want more detail.
Oliver: This is a life lesson. Sometimes, to get what you want involves compromise. Either I miss your special moments, or we miss out on some material things. Today I chose family.
Clive: Oliver, get to the office now. There is an emergency. Hangs up.
Oliver: Something has come up at work. I have all day to fix it so I will be there Mary. He hugs Bridget and waves at the kids. Bridget is concerned Oliver will miss another special event of his children.
Oliver arrives at work.
Clive looks concerned: The Fairweather contract is at risk of collapsing. They say that our programme isn't doing all that they expected. They are talking about using their get out clause and taking the contract to a competitor.
Oliver: The programme did everything they wanted from it when we put our sales pitch to them.
Clive: I know. I wonder if they want to renegotiate the price or switch to another company and have found a loophole. A competitor may have come in with a lower offer.
Oliver: We have a long standing relationship with them. I think they would rather deal with us.
Clive: You're probably right. Anyway I'll book you a flight today with your colleague Amanda. You two will have to rescue the deal. It's a massive contract, we can't afford to let it slip through our fingers.
Oliver: Can Reece go with Amanda?
Clive: No, you are the only one who can handle the Fairweather group.
Oliver: Well, I can go tomorrow.
Clive: No. Now.
Oliver: But Clive, my daughter has her school play tonight.
Clive: Oliver. You're a great salesman. You're the best I've got. You know how much this deal is worth. The board is breathing down my neck. I need you there. Now.
Oliver: So if I had a medical emergency right now and was rushed to hospital, what would you do Clive?
Clive: I would wish you a speedy recovery, and then I would send whoever was next in line. But you are not in hospital, are you? You're just wanting to go to a school play. I'm not saying family isn't important, but this is business. You know the score. Get your suitcase and go.
Oliver sighs: I've done this time and again. My family roll their eyes when I say I will come to something they want me to attend. It's time the company compromised.
Clive: Compromise? Oliver, this is Computer Solutions. We don't compromise, we conquer. Now get going.
Oliver: You will have to get Reece to do it Clive.
Clive: I'll be honest with you Oliver. Your performance in the last quarter has been a bit... lacking. Now, you can go to the play, or you can ensure your position here remains secure. It's your choice.
Oliver: If my performance isn't up to scratch, may I suggest Reece? Unless his performance is even worse than mine.
Clive: Don't be smart, Oliver. Go. Now.
Oliver: For once, family first. You need to get someone else.
Clive: Fine. But don't expect a bonus this year. In fact, don't expect anything from me for a while. Now get out of my office.
Oliver walks back to his desk. He has finally put family first and if that means no bonus or even having to find another job, so be it. He knows his performances are up to scratch. That's why he is so much in demand. But life is about give and take. It's time Computer Solutions did some giving.
Oliver gets home and Mary is at school, preparing for her play. Bridget comes over to him and throws her arms around his neck.
Bridget: You stayed! I was convinced you would be detained and miss the play.
Oliver: I can't miss this. It didn't go down well. I had a blow up with Clive but stood my ground.
Bridget: We have a mortgage! We can't afford to have you out of work.
Oliver: If I did have to find another job, my pay would be lower, but if we economised, then we could manage or even downsize the house. We can't have it all ways. The kids want me to be there for them, then they will have to accept that comes with a price.
Bridget: You're a great father Oliver. Budgeting isn't my strength but with some coaching I might learn.
Oliver: I haven't lost my job yet, but if push comes to shove, then it's family first whenever possible.
They go to the play and it is a success. Mary is brilliant and Oliver is so proud. Mary comes out of the costume room and runs over to her dad Oliver, hugging him.
When they get home, Oliver calls a family conference and explains the problem he had getting to the play
Oliver: So are you prepared to have fewer things if I put the family first? They slowly all agree but not convincingly. They clearly want more detail.
Oliver: This is a life lesson. Sometimes, to get what you want involves compromise. Either I miss your special moments, or we miss out on some material things. Today I chose family.
Bridget: Dad potentially risked losing bonus payments or even his job to be at the play tonight. You loved him being there Mary but we may have to lower our expectations materially. The kids nod silently.
The next day at work, Oliver expects a cold shoulder from Clive. When he arrives, Clive is all smiles. He's behind his desk, with Amanda seated across the desk from him.
The next day at work, Oliver expects a cold shoulder from Clive. When he arrives, Clive is all smiles. He's behind his desk, with Amanda seated across the desk from him.
Clive: Good morning Oliver. Take a seat. How was the play?
Oliver responds cautiously: It was great, thank you for asking.
Clive: I'm glad you enjoyed it. Now, let's get to work. The Fairweather contract has been sorted. Amanda went alone and she managed to salvage the deal.
Oliver: Well done Amanda.
Clive: Yes she did. She's quite a natural. In fact, I called a short notice board meeting and it was decided she's going to be promoted.
Clive pauses for dramatic effect: She will be taking your job Oliver and Reece will become her assistant. You will be transferred to managing customer service, dealing with assistance and troubleshooting. It won't involve you travelling but will come with no bonuses or company car. It's effective immediately so can I have the car keys on my desk by 5pm tonight?
Oliver: Congratulations Amanda. She nods but seems uncomfortable. Oliver continues: I have a few personal effects to clean out of the car. I'll also clear out my office.
Clive: In your new position, you won't have an office but a desk.
Oliver: I am aware of that.
Clive: Good. Don’t let me detain you.
Oliver walks away, now just a customer service manager with no bonuses and no car. He has practically been demoted from a senior salesman. He starts clearing out his old office and transfers what is needed to the new desk. It’s a challenge to find places for everything.
As he is doing so, Amanda comes over to him.
Amanda: Oliver. I'm sorry. I tried to talk Clive out of it but he's determined.
Oliver: I'm not sorry Amanda. I'm looking forward to less stress and more time with the family.
Amanda: I just want to thank you. You taught me everything I know.
Oliver smiles: It was a pleasure. You were so keen to learn. Now you have to tweak Reece and pass on what you know.
Amanda: You're too good to be a customer service manager. It seems a waste.
Oliver: Well, the company knows my knowledge will be put to good use there. It shows I'm still of use to the company, otherwise, I would have been shown the door.
At the end of the day, Bridget picks up Oliver from work and when they get home, Oliver calls another family conference and explalns what happened.
James: I hope we don't have to cut back too much dad.
Mary: I'm more than happy to cut. It was so nice having you at my play dad.
Bridget: We will all have to lower our expectations.
Oliver: James, I can come to all your soccer games now. I will have free weekends to spend time with you all. I'm looking forward to it. Time flies and it won't be that long before you will be moving away with education opportunities and then on to your own lives. I want to be here for the rest of the years you are at home.
Oliver: I am aware of that.
Clive: Good. Don’t let me detain you.
Oliver walks away, now just a customer service manager with no bonuses and no car. He has practically been demoted from a senior salesman. He starts clearing out his old office and transfers what is needed to the new desk. It’s a challenge to find places for everything.
As he is doing so, Amanda comes over to him.
Amanda: Oliver. I'm sorry. I tried to talk Clive out of it but he's determined.
Oliver: I'm not sorry Amanda. I'm looking forward to less stress and more time with the family.
Amanda: I just want to thank you. You taught me everything I know.
Oliver smiles: It was a pleasure. You were so keen to learn. Now you have to tweak Reece and pass on what you know.
Amanda: You're too good to be a customer service manager. It seems a waste.
Oliver: Well, the company knows my knowledge will be put to good use there. It shows I'm still of use to the company, otherwise, I would have been shown the door.
At the end of the day, Bridget picks up Oliver from work and when they get home, Oliver calls another family conference and explalns what happened.
James: I hope we don't have to cut back too much dad.
Mary: I'm more than happy to cut. It was so nice having you at my play dad.
Bridget: We will all have to lower our expectations.
Oliver: James, I can come to all your soccer games now. I will have free weekends to spend time with you all. I'm looking forward to it. Time flies and it won't be that long before you will be moving away with education opportunities and then on to your own lives. I want to be here for the rest of the years you are at home.
Mary: It will be a while dad. James nods in agreement.
Oliver: It will pass soon enough. Just you see.
Oliver puts his knowledge to good use at customer service and grows to love the job and his team. He has a knack for solving problems and making people feel heard. He is the most popular of managers.
Clive sees his success and feels the chastening he delivered to Oliver hasn't had the desired effect. He wanted Oliver back in his office, wanting his job back at any costs. That would be working under Amanda as the dream team so Clive calls Oliver to his office.
Clive: You seem to have taken to this new position like a duck to water. Even reduced earnings hasn't been an issue it seems.
Oliver: It was the best move you made Clive. Thank you. I'm closer to my family and after a few moans about spending cutbacks, as a family we have never been happier.
Clive is taken aback by the response: I see. Well. There's a new project coming up. The Fairweather Group want us to create a new interface for their clients and they want the best of the best to oversee it. I've talked to Amanda and she insists that you are the only one with the technical insight and client history to manage it.
Oliver: That's kind of her. But I'm not a computer salesman anymore Clive. I'm a manager of people.
Clive: Exactly. This isn't a sales role. It's an oversight role. A special commission. It would come with a generous stipend. Not a bonus, but a flat fee for the duration of the project.
Oliver: I'll think about it.
Clive: I need an answer by tomorrow.
Oliver goes home in the old car he bought to commute. He then speaks with Bridget about the proposal.
Bridget: Do you want to do it Oliver? You're clearly brilliant at what you do, and the money would help.
Oliver: It sure would be a useful financial windfall. But the truth is, we are managing fine as we are. Clive is using this to tempt me back to his team. Once I get a taste for more money, he will try to reel me in.
Bridget: I guess you're right. I know I'd be enjoying the extra money and not budgeting. They hug.
Oliver goes back to Clive the next morning. Clive looks hopeful.
Oliver: I've decided not to take it Clive, but thank you for the opportunity.
Clive is stunned: You're turning it down? Why?
Oliver: Because I'm happy where I am.
Clive: Where is your ambition Oliver?
Oliver: I have ambition. To be the best husband and dad I can be while doing my job to the best of my ability.
Clive: I guess we have different values, Oliver.
Oliver: I guess we do now.
Oliver puts his knowledge to good use at customer service and grows to love the job and his team. He has a knack for solving problems and making people feel heard. He is the most popular of managers.
Clive sees his success and feels the chastening he delivered to Oliver hasn't had the desired effect. He wanted Oliver back in his office, wanting his job back at any costs. That would be working under Amanda as the dream team so Clive calls Oliver to his office.
Clive: You seem to have taken to this new position like a duck to water. Even reduced earnings hasn't been an issue it seems.
Oliver: It was the best move you made Clive. Thank you. I'm closer to my family and after a few moans about spending cutbacks, as a family we have never been happier.
Clive is taken aback by the response: I see. Well. There's a new project coming up. The Fairweather Group want us to create a new interface for their clients and they want the best of the best to oversee it. I've talked to Amanda and she insists that you are the only one with the technical insight and client history to manage it.
Oliver: That's kind of her. But I'm not a computer salesman anymore Clive. I'm a manager of people.
Clive: Exactly. This isn't a sales role. It's an oversight role. A special commission. It would come with a generous stipend. Not a bonus, but a flat fee for the duration of the project.
Oliver: I'll think about it.
Clive: I need an answer by tomorrow.
Oliver goes home in the old car he bought to commute. He then speaks with Bridget about the proposal.
Bridget: Do you want to do it Oliver? You're clearly brilliant at what you do, and the money would help.
Oliver: It sure would be a useful financial windfall. But the truth is, we are managing fine as we are. Clive is using this to tempt me back to his team. Once I get a taste for more money, he will try to reel me in.
Bridget: I guess you're right. I know I'd be enjoying the extra money and not budgeting. They hug.
Oliver goes back to Clive the next morning. Clive looks hopeful.
Oliver: I've decided not to take it Clive, but thank you for the opportunity.
Clive is stunned: You're turning it down? Why?
Oliver: Because I'm happy where I am.
Clive: Where is your ambition Oliver?
Oliver: I have ambition. To be the best husband and dad I can be while doing my job to the best of my ability.
Clive: I guess we have different values, Oliver.
Oliver: I guess we do now.
No comments:
Post a Comment