Thursday, 23 July 2026

On A Wet Evening

Cindy knocks on Mike’s door in the evening. She is wet, cold and desperate. She is running from her controlling and abusive boyfriend.

Mike wonders who could be knocking at the door at this time in terrible weather. He’s shocked to see a young lady, shivering and occasionally looking over her shoulder.


Mike: Can I help you?
Cindy gasping: Please...can I come in? He's after me...I don't know where else to go... Her eyes dart back toward the street.
Mike beckons her in. You're like a drowned rat. What do you want me to do for you?
Cindy is shivering violently. Just...just let me stay for a little while. Until he stops looking. I promise I won't be any trouble.
Mike: Who is he?
Cindy with desperation in her voice: My boyfriend. He's got possessive and when I said I was leaving him, he got aggressive. I eventually slipped away and I fear he will find me.
Mike: You're safe her. I'm Mike by the way. Look, you are soaked. My sister Rhonda is your size and she left some clothes here from her last visit. Why don't you have a shower and put her clothes on while I wash your clothes. I'll make you a hot drink and cook some food. Anything you can't eat?
Cindy looks surprised. Oh, and I'm Cindy. Eh, no I can eat anything. I do like coffee if that's not being cheeky to ask.
Mike laughs. It's not a problem. I'll get the clothes and put them in the bathroom for you. Put your wet clothes on the floor outside the bathroom. I promise I won't peek when you do.
Cindy with a hint of a smile: Thank you.

He throws Cindy's clothes in the washing machine and gets a simple meal for her. She appears in the kitchen looking much better, Mike’s sister's clothes a tad loose but okay. Cindy looks awkward.
Mike: Sit at the table Cindy. Here's your drink and the food is nearly ready.
Cindy sits holding the coffee cup with both hands and slightly hunched. She looks around, more relaxed and comforted. When Cindy's finished Mike takes her plates and wash them. Then he invites her into the lounge.

Mike: So how can I help you? Shall I call your parents, the police, a friend?
Cindy: My parents and I don't have contact. I moved in with my new boyfriend Rob, and have been with him for several years now. It got rocky of late. The last time the police were called, my partner Rob convinced them it was okay and I foolishly backed down and pretended it was okay too. Rob has cut me off from any friends I have so I can’t call them.
Mike: So would you like me to contact a refuge centre? While I'm not going to take any advantage of you, I don't think it's a good idea to trust me just on my say so. 
Cindy: I don't want to go a refuge centre. I understand your warning about trusting a stranger but somehow I can sense you are genuine. Is it possible I sleep on the couch tonight? I won't be any trouble, I swear.
Mike: I have a spare bed my sister uses when she visits. You can sleep there tonight.
Cindy: I don't know how I can repay you Mike.
Mike: Hey, I'm happy to help. I'll take tomorrow off work and we can sort out where you go from here.

They both stand and he shows her the spare bedroom. He gives her his sister's pyjamas and as he’s about to leave she hugs him spontaneously, then pulls back embarrassed.
Cindy: I shouldn't have done that.
Mike: No, you shouldn't but you're just relieved so just a sponaneous act.

The next morning Mike gets up and finds Cindy in the kitchen. A coffee pot is on the stove and she is frying some eggs and bacon. Toast is already on the plates. Cindy smiles at Mike as he enters.
Mike: Wow, service with a smile.
Cindy: I hope you don't mind.
Mike: Not at all. They sit and eat together. He wonders what happens next. Cindy seemingly has nowhere to go. After they wash everything up, he decides to sit her down and get to know something about her. What got her to this point. So you mentioned you don't have close ties with your parents.
Cindy looks down. I was adopted and my adoptive parents didn't really bond with me. When I was sixteen I left but had nowhere to go. I met Rob almost immediately and he took me in.
Mike: Was he nice at first?
Cindy: Yeah, but he later got possessive and intimidating. I stayed because he did give me a measure of security. Even his possessiveness became a sort of reassurance that someone wanted me.
Mike: Then what got you to leave?
Cindy: Rob lost his job and got moody. I had a part time job as a baby sitter but it didn't pay much. He told me I had to earn my keep. He wanted me to....you know. I refused and then he got violent with me and said I didn't have a choice. I owed him. He was taking me to meet a man who would get me into 'the business' and I jumped out of the car at traffic lights. In the dark and rain I somehow lost him and knocked at your door.
Mike: Wow. You must have been desperate. I'm glad you got away.
Cindy: So am I. What do you think I should do Mike?
Mike: Well I think we should go to the police and tell them what has happened. If Rob is trying to traffic you, then you need protection.
Cindy: I'm frightened he will find me. He knows people.
Mike: I understand. But if he has friends in the police, then we'll get help elsewhere. There are refuges, social workers and charities that can help.
Cindy: Can I just stay here for a few more days? I won't be any trouble and I'll keep out of sight.
Mike: I don't want to sound untrusting, but leaving a virtual stranger in my house isn't something I've done before.
Cindy: I get that but I have nowhere to go. I feel so secure here. I swear I'll be no trouble and I can be trusted. I'll clean and cook for you if that helps. I did plenty of that for Rob.
Mike pauses, then sighs: Okay, but you realise you can't stay here indefinitely. Think about what you want to do next.

Mike goes to work and when he gets home, his sister Rhonda has made an unexpected visit. She is sitting with Cindy on the sofa. Cindy has been crying.


Rhonda: Hi Mike. Sorry about not notifying you about my coming to stay.
Mike smiles: Well, that's how you always do it Rhon. 
Rhonda: Cindy has told me everything. You even kindly loaned her my clothes. 

Rhonda pretends to look angry. Cindy has her own clothes back now and I'm washing what she borrowed. What's going to happen Mike?
Mike: I was hoping Cindy would have worked out what she wanted by now
Rhonda: She's too upset to do that. I think reality has hit home and she's a bit of a mess. Maybe having a woman to open up to has been part of that. I've cooked a stew and it's ready.
Mike: Thanks sis.

They eat and then retire to the lounge.
Rhonda: I've been thinking. I live 100 miles away at Clarksville. I have a spare bedroom too. It gets Cindy away from this Rob fellow and I get some company.
Cindy eyes widen. Would you really have me?
Rhonda: Sure. I work from home so have flexible hours to work in with you. I know people in town with small businesses. I can get you a job as a cleaner or something.
Cindy’s eyes fill with tears. Thank you Rhonda.
Mike: Sounds like a good idea.

They get Cindy into Rhonda's car and off they go. Mike feels that he’s going to miss his unexpected guest and cooked brakfasts but Cindy is getting away to safety, something in this town that was never going to be possible. 

He keeps in touch and Cindy becomes a permanent border at Rhonda's place. He loves a happy ending although reality isn’t always like that. Some never break away from an unhealthy relationship. Cindy took a risk with him and it paid off but feels that getting professional carers involved is the only option. A mistake on his part but something to learn from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment