Nigel rings his wife Marcie: Hi honey, I''ll be a day late returning home. A mix up with my flight.
Marcie: Thanks for telling me darling. She you tomorrow. Just text your arrival time.
Nigel goes down to the hotel restaurant and is ushered to a seat. He is sipping some water when a woman walks past and accidentally bumps into Nigel's shoulder, causing him to spill the water over his lap.
Maddison: Oh! I'm so sorry! Let me help you with that, she says, quickly grabbing a napkin and leaning over to help him dry off, dabbing his lap repeatedly.
Nigel looks up and sees a woman with bright, lustrous eyes and a warm smile. Her slinky red dress is cut well down at the front and as she leans over, Nigel is confronted with a pleasing cleavage. Her long, flowing hair falling forward as she mops up the water.
Nigel: No problem ma'am. Obviously an accident.
Maddison: I'm Maddison by the way and I was too busy looking for someone who appears to have stood me up.
Nigel: I'm Nigel, by the way. Sorry to hear that.
Maddison: Would it be an imposition if I joined you? I hate eating alone.
Nigel: Please do. I'm the same.
Maddison puts her arms on Nigel's shoulders and hugs him from behind for a few seconds in appreciation, giving him a peck on the cheek. Nigel is embarrassed but also likes the attention of a pretty woman.
Maddison insists on buying Nigel a drink to make up for her clumsiness. They chat lightly, the only sign of Maddison's friendly side thereafter is the occasional putting her hand on his. Nigel starts referring to his wife and how devoted they are to give her a hint.
She seemingly ignores the comments but then gets a text and says she has to go, her boyfriend is waiting at another hotel and is upset with her. She stands, says she got mixed up with the hotel names, thanks Nigel and leaves.
Nigel hopes her boyfriend isn’t too hard on her. He is relieved but also glad to have had her delightful company. He feels tired and heads to his room. He just manages to get undressed and falls asleep quickly.
Sometime during the night, Nigel awakes to noise. He lifts his head to see two men near the bed. Then suddenly a woman's arm goes across his chest. It's Maddison's and she is not clothed from at least the waist up. Camera’s snap and it's over very quickly. Maddison jumps up, throws clothes on herself and leaves with the two men.
Nigel is shaken, realising something bad has just happened but wonders who is behind it. He gets up and goes to reception, despite the early hour. He explains there were intruders in his room but they have no idea what he is talking about. Nigel is only one with a key card, besides the one in reception which is still there. Security are called and they accompany Nigel to his room. There is no sign of a forced entry and there is scepticism in their attitude after that.
Nigel gets home and tells his wife Marcie everything. She is disbelieving.
Marcie: You're telling me you were drugged and photographed in bed with a woman you barely knew?
Nigel: That's exactly what happened! This lady Maddison must have done something to the drink she insisted on buying me. It can't have been too strong as it didn't knock me out, I just became drowsy. She came in while I was asleep with two men!
Marcie: Nigel, this smells like a setup. Who would want to frame you?
Nigel: That's what I'm trying to figure out. But I've been digging into Mayor Clay's contracts, and the timing is too convenient.
Across town, Mayor Winton Clay sits in his office as he looks over the compromising photos with a stern face. He then sends a message to the police station that he needs to see Chief Inspector Robbins.
Nigel arrives at work and gets the message, His heart sinks but he expected it. He had already worked out the only possible reason for the set up. He goes to the mayor's office and is shown in.
Winton: Morning, Nigel. Take a seat. Good trip? Nigel says nothing. Winton slides photographs across the desk. Nigel's face goes pale. The photos are clear, Maddison draped over his shoulder, hugging him from behind in the restaurant. Poses of them chatting over dinner with her hand on his, and the pièce de résistance, the bed scene. There are a few shots, one of the two of them with shocked faces, then of them looking at each other in horror and then of their hands going up to cover their faces. Maddison's acting is worthy of an Oscar.
Nigel walks out of the office, but as soon as he is out of sight, his expression changes. He goes home and in his bedroom, he reaches into his pocket and feels the small, hidden recording device he had taped to his inner thigh. He had recorded every word Winton said in both conversations, including the confession of the setup and the admission of the corrupt contracts.
Nigel goes into Marcie: The game is just beginning. It's going to be a long haul but I must be patient and gather as much evidence as I can. I need to get more on those with a hold over Winton if I can. I will record all payments I receive but not use the money. It's not a certain outcome but I at least I am gathering some insurance, if nothing else.
Marcie: I believe in you and I will be discreet, saying nothing to anyone.
They hug and pour a drink. They relax in the lounge, happy they have each other and a clean conscience. That’s a rare comodity in this world but it's something money can’t buy.
Sometime during the night, Nigel awakes to noise. He lifts his head to see two men near the bed. Then suddenly a woman's arm goes across his chest. It's Maddison's and she is not clothed from at least the waist up. Camera’s snap and it's over very quickly. Maddison jumps up, throws clothes on herself and leaves with the two men.
Nigel is shaken, realising something bad has just happened but wonders who is behind it. He gets up and goes to reception, despite the early hour. He explains there were intruders in his room but they have no idea what he is talking about. Nigel is only one with a key card, besides the one in reception which is still there. Security are called and they accompany Nigel to his room. There is no sign of a forced entry and there is scepticism in their attitude after that.
Nigel gets home and tells his wife Marcie everything. She is disbelieving.
Marcie: You're telling me you were drugged and photographed in bed with a woman you barely knew?
Nigel: That's exactly what happened! This lady Maddison must have done something to the drink she insisted on buying me. It can't have been too strong as it didn't knock me out, I just became drowsy. She came in while I was asleep with two men!
Marcie: Nigel, this smells like a setup. Who would want to frame you?
Nigel: That's what I'm trying to figure out. But I've been digging into Mayor Clay's contracts, and the timing is too convenient.
Across town, Mayor Winton Clay sits in his office as he looks over the compromising photos with a stern face. He then sends a message to the police station that he needs to see Chief Inspector Robbins.
Nigel arrives at work and gets the message, His heart sinks but he expected it. He had already worked out the only possible reason for the set up. He goes to the mayor's office and is shown in.
Winton: Morning, Nigel. Take a seat. Good trip? Nigel says nothing. Winton slides photographs across the desk. Nigel's face goes pale. The photos are clear, Maddison draped over his shoulder, hugging him from behind in the restaurant. Poses of them chatting over dinner with her hand on his, and the pièce de résistance, the bed scene. There are a few shots, one of the two of them with shocked faces, then of them looking at each other in horror and then of their hands going up to cover their faces. Maddison's acting is worthy of an Oscar.
Winton: Now, the public has such a holier than thou view of morality. It would end your career and the shame, oh the shame. You may need to leave town.
Nigel stares at the photos, then looks the Mayor in the eye: I know what this is about.
Winton swivels his chair around and looks out the window behind him, then swivels back: You've been mounting a witch hunt on contracts given to firms in the town. You have made some people edgy and they leaned on me Nigel to do something about it. I wanted to talk you out of it but I knew you wouldn't listen. They organised the delayed flight, the girl and the photos. I didn't want to do this, you are a great Chief of Police Nigel. The thing is, they have a hold on me and now on you too.
Nigel: So they win?
Winton: These aren't just firms that do construction work. They are into casinos, night clubs and have a wide reach. They even had people miles away, organised to set you up. The thing is, if you play ball, they are willing to sweeten the deal for you. Fight it, you go down and nothing changes. All you have to do is stop investigating. That's not a crime if you could fine no evidence. You also get a retainer for your trouble.
Nigel: Aren't you worried for yourself if it does get exposed?
Winton smiles: I'm safe, as I'm in their pocket and more use where I am. They will even help me get reelected. They will do everything in their power to stop this contract investigation coming out. As for those who try to take them down...coercion, veiled threats and more. Witnesses won't testify. You'll be struggling to mount a successful investigation anyway. But they'd rather not have the publicity, so the photos.
Nigel looks down: So if I stop the investigation, things go on as they have, except I get a salary enhancement? Winton nods.
Nigel goes home and tells his wife Marcie everything and tells her not to breathe a word to anyone.
Marcie: You can't do this Nigel. You're an honest man. You can't let these people win. We'll find a way to fight back. We'll go to the press.
Nigel: And with what? A handful of photos that I can't explain? I'm a Chief of Police, if I go to the press and say I'm being blackmailed, I can’t prove it. The photo leak will be anonymous and I don’t have the evidence to even defend myself, to prove who is behind it.
Marcie: Then you are over a barrel and have to do as they tell you?
Nigel: For now, I have to play their game. I have to make them think they've won.
Nigel returns to the office of Mayor Winton Clay the next morning. He looks defeated, his shoulders slumped, and he puts his head in his hands. Winton now senses the outcome.
Nigel stares at the photos, then looks the Mayor in the eye: I know what this is about.
Winton swivels his chair around and looks out the window behind him, then swivels back: You've been mounting a witch hunt on contracts given to firms in the town. You have made some people edgy and they leaned on me Nigel to do something about it. I wanted to talk you out of it but I knew you wouldn't listen. They organised the delayed flight, the girl and the photos. I didn't want to do this, you are a great Chief of Police Nigel. The thing is, they have a hold on me and now on you too.
Nigel: So they win?
Winton: These aren't just firms that do construction work. They are into casinos, night clubs and have a wide reach. They even had people miles away, organised to set you up. The thing is, if you play ball, they are willing to sweeten the deal for you. Fight it, you go down and nothing changes. All you have to do is stop investigating. That's not a crime if you could fine no evidence. You also get a retainer for your trouble.
Nigel: Aren't you worried for yourself if it does get exposed?
Winton smiles: I'm safe, as I'm in their pocket and more use where I am. They will even help me get reelected. They will do everything in their power to stop this contract investigation coming out. As for those who try to take them down...coercion, veiled threats and more. Witnesses won't testify. You'll be struggling to mount a successful investigation anyway. But they'd rather not have the publicity, so the photos.
Nigel looks down: So if I stop the investigation, things go on as they have, except I get a salary enhancement? Winton nods.
Nigel goes home and tells his wife Marcie everything and tells her not to breathe a word to anyone.
Marcie: You can't do this Nigel. You're an honest man. You can't let these people win. We'll find a way to fight back. We'll go to the press.
Nigel: And with what? A handful of photos that I can't explain? I'm a Chief of Police, if I go to the press and say I'm being blackmailed, I can’t prove it. The photo leak will be anonymous and I don’t have the evidence to even defend myself, to prove who is behind it.
Marcie: Then you are over a barrel and have to do as they tell you?
Nigel: For now, I have to play their game. I have to make them think they've won.
Nigel returns to the office of Mayor Winton Clay the next morning. He looks defeated, his shoulders slumped, and he puts his head in his hands. Winton now senses the outcome.
Winton: I'm glad you've come to your senses, Nigel. It's a small price to pay for a peaceful life. Just sign this document stating you've completed your review and found no irregularity in the contracts. Nigel picks up the pen, hesitates as he looks at Winton and then signs the paper. Winton is relieved, knowing the bad guys will be happy.
Winton: Wise choice, Nigel. Now, go home and enjoy your weekend. Take Marcie out for a meal or something.
Nigel walks out of the office, but as soon as he is out of sight, his expression changes. He goes home and in his bedroom, he reaches into his pocket and feels the small, hidden recording device he had taped to his inner thigh. He had recorded every word Winton said in both conversations, including the confession of the setup and the admission of the corrupt contracts.
Nigel goes into Marcie: The game is just beginning. It's going to be a long haul but I must be patient and gather as much evidence as I can. I need to get more on those with a hold over Winton if I can. I will record all payments I receive but not use the money. It's not a certain outcome but I at least I am gathering some insurance, if nothing else.
Marcie: I believe in you and I will be discreet, saying nothing to anyone.
They hug and pour a drink. They relax in the lounge, happy they have each other and a clean conscience. That’s a rare comodity in this world but it's something money can’t buy.


No comments:
Post a Comment