Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Optics

Phil Carter has an important job for an optics firm, specialising in camera/laser optics. He works in sales, with blueprints for customers when deals are finalised. He recently met a beautiful, charming woman called Robin who speaks the Queen's English and is very affectionate. A physical relationship ensues.

Phil and Robin are having breakfast.

Phil: Don't forget I'll be away in London for a few days on a business trip. I'll be home on Friday night.
Robin puts her fork down and leans forward. But that's three whole days without you...how will I survive? Pouts playfully.
Phil: I ask the same thing myself. He leans forward and kisses Robin. How about we go for dinner Saturday night at that new restaurant?
Robin smiles: Only if you promise to tell me all about your trip...every detail. Strokes his arm.
Phil: You know it's confidential but you always want to know, don't you? I know it's because you care.
Robin grins mischievously: Just say the hotel and I will feel more at peace. She kisses Phil seductively.
Phil: I shouldn't but it can't harm. The Buckingham.
Robin: I love the way you trust me Phil. That's important to me.
Phil: I know Robin. He looks at his watch. Is that the time? I'll miss my flight. Phil grabs his car keys and after a passionate kiss, is gone.
Robin's expression goes serious. She picks up the phone.: Yes, he told me. It's going to plan.

The business trip negotiations are going well and the contract is close to being signed. Phil returns to his suite and goes over the details on his laptop when there is a knock at the door. He looks through peep hole and sees Robin.

Phil opens the door:
What are you doing here Robin, this is against company policy. Still, you're here now and won't do any harm. Come in.

Robin steps inside and closes the door behind her with a soft click as she presses against Phil. I couldn't wait until Saturday. I miss you too much. Her fingers trace his jawline. And I wanted to...surprise you. She turns and moves Phil's hands over her perfect figure.

Robin then pulls out a bottle of champagne from a bag she brought and pours it into two hotel glasses. They interlock arms and drink. Phil leans back and goes to close his laptop but Robin grabs him and kisses him passionately. They fall onto the bed and they start undressing each other. They go to make love but then nothing.

Phil wakes up, still in a state of partial undress and totally disorientated. He looks around the room. Where is Robin? He gets up and sees his laptop still there but not quite as he left it. He gets a sharp headache and sits back dizzily. He gives it some time and then gets in the shower to wake himself up. He calls Robin by phone but she doesn't answer. 

He then goes to reception and gives a description of Robin but no one has seen her. Then he notices a young man behind the counter looking sheepish. Pressured, he admits a woman matching her description got him to give her Phil’s room number. He was no match for her cunning.

The sales visit ends successfully and Phil returns home, his frequent calls to Robin unanswered. When he gets into the house, he looks around but she isn't there. Some of her personal effects and clothing are also missing. He makes a drink and sits in confusion. Then the doorbell rings. He rushes to open it, hoping for Robin. Instead it is two plain clothed fraud squad personnel, Sally Head and Ben Jones. He invites them in.
Sally: Where were you this week Mr. Carter?
Phil: At a business meeting in London.
Sally: And your girlfriend, Robin Hall?
Phil: She was going to stay back here...but visited me in London.
Ben: Is that standard procedure Mr. Carter?
Phil: No.
Sally: Well, why was she there?
Phil: She wanted to know where I was staying. I told her and she paid a surprise visit as she was missing me. I fell asleep.....after a drink she gave me and then she disappeared.
Sally: We have reason to believe she has stolen blueprints from your company, Mr. Carter. Copies on your laptop were downloaded to a device she had in her possession.
Phil: No! That can't be. The laptop is password protected.
Ben: Did Robin know your password?
Phil: No, but it was turned on when she arrived. I went to turn it off but Robin distracted me...she didn't...?
Sally: We know she did. Do you have any idea where she might be now?
Phil: No.
Sally: Well Mr. Carter, she would be in Moscow by now but for the fact we were tailing her. By the way, her name isn't Robin Hall. It's Irina Popov. She works for a company specialising in obtaining sensitive technology. You were played Mr. Carter.
Phil: Her English was perfect, her background was so plausible.
Ben: Of course.

Phil’s company and he part ways due to his breaking confidentiality rules. He finds a new job delivering pizzas. Irina is found guilty of espionage and imprisoned. 

Phil goes to visit her on a day off. They sit and look at each other and then Phil asks her how she is doing?
Irina replies in an accent with a Russian tone: Better than you Phil. You lost your career and your girlfriend.
Phil: Did you ever care for me?
Irina: Not really. It was just a job. Though you were very trusting.
Phil: You'll be in prison for years. Was it worth it? 
Irina: I regret getting caught, of course.
Phil: You played me so well. I still love you and would have you back in a heartbeat if you were free. What was the hardest part in playing your role?
Irina: Pretending to like you.
Phil looks down, thinking the woman I adored was so good at pretending: What happened to give you a heart of stone?
Irina: You'd never understand, you soft fool.
Phil: Try me.
Irina: I didn't know my parents. My foster parents had no time for kindness. I had to harden up to survive.
Phil: I'm sorry. The picture you gave me of an idyllic childhood in Surrey was so different to reality.
Irina: That's the job. You were easy. Stupid easy.
Phil: I still don't regret meeting you. Even if it was all fake.
Irina: That's why you're weak. Just go.

Phil senses her harsh talk is bravado. What Irina had with me was paradise compared to her upbringing and her life in espionage. Was she pretending to hate him?
Phil: I think you do have feelings for me, but they are pointless because you will be here for a very long time...unless you have political value and become part of a trade.
Irina: I have no value to anyone. Just leave me alone.
Phil: If that's what you want. Phil stands up to leave but pauses as he notices Irina wiping her eyes. Can I visit again?
Irina: Why?
Phil: I believe you are a good person who didn't get a fair chance. I want to give you something you have perhaps never felt, genuine love.
Irina gets up, a tear in her eye: If you must, you can visit again.

Phil leaves, knowing she is hurting. He decides to move closer to where she is being held so he could visit her more often. He believes Irina deserves to know what love and devotion really are. He keeps visiting and Irina softens. They eventually get married, even while she is incarcerated. Irina is released after five years and Phil meets her at the gate. They hug. 

Phil: Finally you are out. My flat isn't flash but it's all mine, and it's home.
Irina takes Phil’s hand, her fingers trembling slightly: Thank you for seeing something in me. For not giving up on me.
Phil: I never could. You're worth every minute. He kisses her forehead. Let's go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment