John is 24 and lives at home. His Girlfriend Holly is 23, pretty and determined to be a fashion model. Her parents, Phil and Gale, are supportive but they are busy making money. They leave Holly to make decisions for herself. John and Holly have chosen to be virgins until married.
John visits Holly at her opulent family home as she has exciting news to tell him, but insists she does it in person.
John: What's all the fuss about, and what's that in your hand?
Holly: Oh, Its a job offer modelling. It's for one shoot, but if it goes well, it'll lead to a full time contract. She hands John the contract.
John: So let's see. They like the photos you sent them. The shoot is in LA and included is a one way plane ticket. You'll be staying at the Grange Hotel for five days. During that time you'll be at a studio where you will be doing a photo shoot for a top fashion brand. They can't reveal which as it's sensitive information. The rate is $5,000, half paid when you arrive in LA and the balance on completion.
Holly: Isn't it exciting! But I'll miss you though.
John: Me too, but it's in less than a week. What do your folks think?
Holly: They're happy for me.
John: They pretty much let you make decisions for yourself anyway.
Holly: Yeah, they're always busy making money. But at least they're supportive.
John: The only issue I have is that these people are accepting you on some photos. You have no experience, so they are taking a punt on you. They could hire a proven model for that money.
Holly is annoyed at John’s perceived negativity: You don't think I can do it, do you? Why can't you just be happy for me?
John: I am happy Holly. It's just my cautious nature and it just seems odd.
Holly: This could be the start of something big for me. I really want to do this.
John now decides to hide his reservations: It sounds like a wonderful opportunity.
Holly: Thanks John.
The next day John goes to the airport and sees two well dressed men holding up a sign with 'Holly' on it. He decides to stay back and observe. Holly comes through the gate and they warmly greet her, then escort her to a car outside.
John leaves Holly and as he drives home, he takes a detour and pops into Holly's father's business. Phil and Gale both work there and John asks to speak to them. He explains his concern as to why they would employ someone with no experience and pay so well.
Phil: They must see something special in her.
Gale: She's determined to be a fashion model, and she is pretty. We trust Holly's judgement.
John: I am concerned. What if I fly over a day before Holly? I could stay at the Grange Hotel and surprise her at the airport. She said she will miss me. In this way, I can keep an eye on her and save myself any worry.
Phil: That's a good idea.
Gale: That's a fine gesture. We can book it all through the company accounts, so the cost will be covered.
John: Well, thank you. Taking a week off work will be an expense, so your covering the travel and accommodation is most appreciated.
Gale: We'll send you the confirmation details.
John arrives at LA and goes to the hotel and checks himself in. After putting his bag in his suite, he decides to allay any fears. He goes down to reception and enquires if a Holly Maxwell is staying there. They look at the bookings and say no.
Phil: They must see something special in her.
Gale: She's determined to be a fashion model, and she is pretty. We trust Holly's judgement.
John: I am concerned. What if I fly over a day before Holly? I could stay at the Grange Hotel and surprise her at the airport. She said she will miss me. In this way, I can keep an eye on her and save myself any worry.
Phil: That's a good idea.
Gale: That's a fine gesture. We can book it all through the company accounts, so the cost will be covered.
John: Well, thank you. Taking a week off work will be an expense, so your covering the travel and accommodation is most appreciated.
Gale: We'll send you the confirmation details.
John arrives at LA and goes to the hotel and checks himself in. After putting his bag in his suite, he decides to allay any fears. He goes down to reception and enquires if a Holly Maxwell is staying there. They look at the bookings and say no.
He then uses the name of the company that is going to employ her, and again, there is no reservation recorded. Maybe he got the name wrong, he wondered. He decides there is something amiss but realises worrying won't help.
The next day John goes to the airport and sees two well dressed men holding up a sign with 'Holly' on it. He decides to stay back and observe. Holly comes through the gate and they warmly greet her, then escort her to a car outside.
John runs to a taxi: Please follow that car, but discreetly.
Holly sees John waiting outside and bursts into tears: I'm so glad you were here for me. I thought the job was real. They hug tightly.
John: It was real, but not the real you thought. What were they planning, do you know?
Holly: The police told me they were trafficking young women.
John: Disgusting, but you're safe now. Let's get to the hotel room and shower, then eat if you're up to it.
Holly: I just want a shower and bed.
They arrange flights back home and finally get into Holly's parents' home. Her parents hug her with relief. They all sit in the lounge, John next to Holly and holding her hand.
The trip should be a short one to the hotel but rather it takes Holly on a long trip in the other direction to a warehouse area. The car Holly is in pulls up by a poorly maintained warehouse and John asks the taxi driver to park a good distance back. Holly comes out of the car she’s travelled in with the two men. She seems scared and reluctant to comply with them, but they grab her arms and force her through a small door.
John to the taxi driver: Can you call the police?
John to the taxi driver: Can you call the police?
He does so and the police soon arrive. John tells them what he saw and his concerns. The police decide to call for back up while they look for a way in. John goes to follow the officers, but is told to stay back.
John pays the taxi driver but the driver insists on staying, realising there is something serious unfolding. Back up arrives and the police find a way in. John hears shouting, then quiet. Eventually, four young ladies come out, including Holly. She doesn’t notice John as they are put into waiting police cars and are whisked away. Then three men come out, handcuffed. Two of them John recognises from the airport. They also are taken away.
Taxi driver: I'll take you to your accommodation. I thought you'd need me.
John: Thanks driver.
John: Thanks driver.
John rings Holly's parents as he returns to the hotel. They in turn ring the police to check that Holly is okay and leave a message that John is waiting for her at the hotel. She eventually gets dropped back there.
Holly sees John waiting outside and bursts into tears: I'm so glad you were here for me. I thought the job was real. They hug tightly.
John: It was real, but not the real you thought. What were they planning, do you know?
Holly: The police told me they were trafficking young women.
John: Disgusting, but you're safe now. Let's get to the hotel room and shower, then eat if you're up to it.
Holly: I just want a shower and bed.
Gale: We were totally fooled.
Phil shakes his head in disbelief at what had happened: You saved our daughter.
John pauses thoughtfully: Yes, I guess I did. I'm just glad to see Holly home and safe.
Holly: I was so naive.
Phil: I was too busy with the business to think much about it. He turns to John. How can we repay you?
John: Seeing Holly safe and back with her parents is my reward.
Gale: You're a fine young man.
John: Holly's a fine young woman but she was too invested in a career to see warning signs. If we want something badly, we can lose our objectivity. We believe what we want to believe and ignore danger signals.
Holly: I was foolish. I should have listened to you John. But you were still there for me.
John: Maybe modelling is on the back burner for now?
Holly: I think so.
Phil: I think we'll be taking more interest in Holly's choices from now on.
Holly's parents get something ready for dinner, leaving John and Holly alone in the lounge.
John: I realise how much I love you Holly. Getting on one knee, John looks into Holly's eyes. Maybe the timing isn't great but would you consider accepting my proposal for marriage?
Holly: Oh John. Yes I will. I love you too. A big hug. Let’s tell my parents.
They walk hand in hand toward the kitchen.
John: Do you think they will approve?
Holly: I think they'll be delighted.
Phil shakes his head in disbelief at what had happened: You saved our daughter.
John pauses thoughtfully: Yes, I guess I did. I'm just glad to see Holly home and safe.
Holly: I was so naive.
Phil: I was too busy with the business to think much about it. He turns to John. How can we repay you?
John: Seeing Holly safe and back with her parents is my reward.
Gale: You're a fine young man.
John: Holly's a fine young woman but she was too invested in a career to see warning signs. If we want something badly, we can lose our objectivity. We believe what we want to believe and ignore danger signals.
Holly: I was foolish. I should have listened to you John. But you were still there for me.
John: Maybe modelling is on the back burner for now?
Holly: I think so.
Phil: I think we'll be taking more interest in Holly's choices from now on.
Holly's parents get something ready for dinner, leaving John and Holly alone in the lounge.
John: I realise how much I love you Holly. Getting on one knee, John looks into Holly's eyes. Maybe the timing isn't great but would you consider accepting my proposal for marriage?
Holly: Oh John. Yes I will. I love you too. A big hug. Let’s tell my parents.
They walk hand in hand toward the kitchen.
John: Do you think they will approve?
Holly: I think they'll be delighted.
No comments:
Post a Comment