Students are leaving the college at the end of a day and Andy and Cindy happen to meet. The conversation starts well...but then.
Andy: Hi Cindy, We never seem to meet up these days.
Cindy: Oh Andy, I’ve been busy. I don’t have time for so many things.
Andy: Like me?
Cindy: Well, yes. Sorry Andy, but we don’t mix in the same circles anymore.
Andy: Is Brad more your type or is he your parents type, and you don’t have much say in the matter?
Cindy: Andy! That’s not fair and none of your business anyway.
Andy: A very defensive reaction.
Cindy: Well, what do you expect? You don’t know what I have to deal with.
Andy: I know we were close at high school. We even went to dances together. But now I’m nobody. What did I do wrong?
Cindy: You just don’t have what I need, someone who will go places in the business world and be successful in life.
Andy: You seem to be so materialistic now, so different from what you were.
Cindy: People change Andy. Pauses. Look, I'm sorry. Maybe we could go for coffee and at least talk things over in a more civil way?
Andy sighs: I’d like that. I miss you.
Cindy: Don’t get all mushy on me. Tomorrow at 11.
Cindy thinks about what Andy said, how close they were. What happened? She thinks Andy is more her type, a genuinely nice guy. Somehow she got swept up in what her parents thinks she needs. It gets her in a quandary so she wonders how she can get away from her parents expectations and have what she wants.
They arrive at a cafe and sit at a table. Andy wonders if it will go well. At first there is awkward silence.
Andy: I thought we had something to talk about but already we seem stuck for words.
Cindy: I do want to talk. It’s just…I want you to take me somewhere. Anywhere. Just away from all this.
Andy: Away from what?
Cindy: I just need to get away from all the expectations. My parents' values have turned me into a...snob. I feel embarrassed admitting it, that I'm becoming someone I don't want to be.
Andy: I didn’t realise you felt like that. Do you feel your parents' expectations for you are weighing you down?
Cindy: Yes, they have this life planned out, and I'm starting to realise it’s not what I want.
Andy: I really feel for you but I don’t have the money to run away somewhere. Besides, I want to finish college. My parents would be upset if I just took off. He thinks about what to say. Is it too difficult to talk to your parents and tell them how you feel?
Cindy: It would really upset them, and we’d end up rowing.
Andy: I want to help, but running away isn’t the solution. One thing I can promise is that I care deeply about you.
Cindy reaches out with her hand: Thank you for saying that. I shouldn’t have treated you so badly.
Andy: It’s okay. Pauses thoughtfully. Anyway, leave it with me.
Andy goes home and confides in his parents about Cindy's situation and her desire to get away from it all.
Mum: Oh Andy, I knew you liked her. But running away?
Andy: At first all I could think about was being with Cindy. But then reality hit and I realised I can’t afford it anyway. I want to finish my schooling and I don’t want to leave you. Cindy says she can’t talk to her parents about how she feels, which is sad. What shall I do?
Mum: Could you talk to her parents?
Andy: They don’t want Cindy to have anything to do with me. I’m not suitable for Cindy.
Dad: Andy, you have been sensible.
Andy: I’ve already decided I’m not going anywhere. I’ll have to make sure Cindy understands that.
Andy texts and they meet at the coffee shop. He tells Cindy it’s not the right thing to do, to run away.
Cindy: You’re right, I just feel overwhelmed.
Andy: What do your parents think of me?
Cindy: They don’t approve. I think they want someone who will be a big earner, like Brad. He’s so shallow but that doesn't seem to matter to them.
Andy: Well, tell them how I handled this issue and they might see me in a different light.
Cindy: Hmmm, I guess you could be right. Pauses in thought. Okay, I’ll talk to them.
Cindy texts Andy the next day. She says her parents want to meet him and that she told them everything and they were impressed how he talked her out of running away.
Cindy: Oh Andy, I’ve been busy. I don’t have time for so many things.
Andy: Like me?
Cindy: Well, yes. Sorry Andy, but we don’t mix in the same circles anymore.
Andy: Is Brad more your type or is he your parents type, and you don’t have much say in the matter?
Cindy: Andy! That’s not fair and none of your business anyway.
Andy: A very defensive reaction.
Cindy: Well, what do you expect? You don’t know what I have to deal with.
Andy: I know we were close at high school. We even went to dances together. But now I’m nobody. What did I do wrong?
Cindy: You just don’t have what I need, someone who will go places in the business world and be successful in life.
Andy: You seem to be so materialistic now, so different from what you were.
Cindy: People change Andy. Pauses. Look, I'm sorry. Maybe we could go for coffee and at least talk things over in a more civil way?
Andy sighs: I’d like that. I miss you.
Cindy: Don’t get all mushy on me. Tomorrow at 11.
Cindy thinks about what Andy said, how close they were. What happened? She thinks Andy is more her type, a genuinely nice guy. Somehow she got swept up in what her parents thinks she needs. It gets her in a quandary so she wonders how she can get away from her parents expectations and have what she wants.
They arrive at a cafe and sit at a table. Andy wonders if it will go well. At first there is awkward silence.
Andy: I thought we had something to talk about but already we seem stuck for words.
Cindy: I do want to talk. It’s just…I want you to take me somewhere. Anywhere. Just away from all this.
Andy: Away from what?
Cindy: I just need to get away from all the expectations. My parents' values have turned me into a...snob. I feel embarrassed admitting it, that I'm becoming someone I don't want to be.
Andy: I didn’t realise you felt like that. Do you feel your parents' expectations for you are weighing you down?
Cindy: Yes, they have this life planned out, and I'm starting to realise it’s not what I want.
Andy: I really feel for you but I don’t have the money to run away somewhere. Besides, I want to finish college. My parents would be upset if I just took off. He thinks about what to say. Is it too difficult to talk to your parents and tell them how you feel?
Cindy: It would really upset them, and we’d end up rowing.
Andy: I want to help, but running away isn’t the solution. One thing I can promise is that I care deeply about you.
Cindy reaches out with her hand: Thank you for saying that. I shouldn’t have treated you so badly.
Andy: It’s okay. Pauses thoughtfully. Anyway, leave it with me.
Andy goes home and confides in his parents about Cindy's situation and her desire to get away from it all.
Mum: Oh Andy, I knew you liked her. But running away?
Andy: At first all I could think about was being with Cindy. But then reality hit and I realised I can’t afford it anyway. I want to finish my schooling and I don’t want to leave you. Cindy says she can’t talk to her parents about how she feels, which is sad. What shall I do?
Mum: Could you talk to her parents?
Andy: They don’t want Cindy to have anything to do with me. I’m not suitable for Cindy.
Dad: Andy, you have been sensible.
Andy: I’ve already decided I’m not going anywhere. I’ll have to make sure Cindy understands that.
Andy texts and they meet at the coffee shop. He tells Cindy it’s not the right thing to do, to run away.
Cindy: You’re right, I just feel overwhelmed.
Andy: What do your parents think of me?
Cindy: They don’t approve. I think they want someone who will be a big earner, like Brad. He’s so shallow but that doesn't seem to matter to them.
Andy: Well, tell them how I handled this issue and they might see me in a different light.
Cindy: Hmmm, I guess you could be right. Pauses in thought. Okay, I’ll talk to them.
Cindy texts Andy the next day. She says her parents want to meet him and that she told them everything and they were impressed how he talked her out of running away.
Andy arrives nervously at Cindy’s parents home.
Andy: Hi Mr and Mrs Roberts.
Mrs Roberts: Come in Andy. They all get seated in the lounge, including Cindy. There is an awkward silence for what seems like an eternity before it opens up.
Andy: Hi Mr and Mrs Roberts.
Mrs Roberts: Come in Andy. They all get seated in the lounge, including Cindy. There is an awkward silence for what seems like an eternity before it opens up.
Mr Roberts: Andy, Cindy has told us everything. We owe you an apology for the way we viewed you. Cindy told us how you talked her out of running away and how much you care for her.
Mrs Roberts: We just thought you were not the right person for Cindy. But it seems we were wrong. Cindy’s happiness is everything and we thought we were helping her, not pressuring her into a life she doesn’t want.
Mr Roberts: We didn’t take the time to know Cindy's feelings. We assumed things rather than find out what Cindy was thinking. Pauses. We would like to meet your parents Andy. Can they come over for dinner this Saturday?
Andy: That would be lovely. I’m sure they are free.
Mrs Roberts: We just thought you were not the right person for Cindy. But it seems we were wrong. Cindy’s happiness is everything and we thought we were helping her, not pressuring her into a life she doesn’t want.
Mr Roberts: We didn’t take the time to know Cindy's feelings. We assumed things rather than find out what Cindy was thinking. Pauses. We would like to meet your parents Andy. Can they come over for dinner this Saturday?
Andy: That would be lovely. I’m sure they are free.
Mr Roberts: It's time we got to know your family.
Cindy takes Andy by the hand: Come Andy, I’ll walk you home.
As they walk she tells him she loves him. They stop and kiss.
Cindy: Andy, I’ve always been fond of you but for a brief period, I became frustrated with you for not being what my parents expected from you.
Andy: Now it’s in the open and your parents know what you want. More importantly, now you know what you want, we can grow in our relationship together.
Cindy: Yes, we can.
Cindy takes Andy by the hand: Come Andy, I’ll walk you home.
As they walk she tells him she loves him. They stop and kiss.
Cindy: Andy, I’ve always been fond of you but for a brief period, I became frustrated with you for not being what my parents expected from you.
Andy: Now it’s in the open and your parents know what you want. More importantly, now you know what you want, we can grow in our relationship together.
Cindy: Yes, we can.


No comments:
Post a Comment