The boys are coming off the field after a 1-1 drawn match. A reasonable result against a similar ranked team.
Sam: Well done boys. You didn't let falling behind get the better of you.
Linda comes across to Sam: Coach, I noticed Stephen was playing on the wing today instead of the striker. Why was that? He's the best finisher in the team.
Sam: With plenty of season to go, I wanted to try out Oliver Wagner to see how he went up front and he scored the equaliser. I need to keep my options open in case of injuries. Stephen will be be the striker next week against the top side in the league.
Linda calms down: Well, if it's only for one week.
Sam: I assure you it is.
Megan: Hi Linda. My son Oliver is playing well. I think it's great that the coach is experimenting. Oliver was sensational as the main striker. I hope he gets more chances to prove how good he is.
Linda is annoyed: Stephen is the best striker in the team.
Megan: He may be, but Oliver is also great.
Linda: He is not quite at Stephen's level.
Megan: Oh, well, I've noticed you're always the one volunteering for the carpool and the snacks. It's so kind of you to do that. I'm just so busy with my work. I hope that doesn't mean the coach feels pressured to keep the kids in certain spots just because some parents are more available.
Linda: What are you insinuating?
Megan: Oh, nothing. You look nice in those shorts, by the way.
Linda: I don't use charm or help out just to promote Stephen! I just want the best for Stephen and that he gets where he is on merit!
Megan smiles: Of course. I'll see you at the next game.
Linda watches Megan walk away, feeling a mix of anger and frustration.
Linda is annoyed: Stephen is the best striker in the team.
Megan: He may be, but Oliver is also great.
Linda: He is not quite at Stephen's level.
Megan: Oh, well, I've noticed you're always the one volunteering for the carpool and the snacks. It's so kind of you to do that. I'm just so busy with my work. I hope that doesn't mean the coach feels pressured to keep the kids in certain spots just because some parents are more available.
Linda: What are you insinuating?
Megan: Oh, nothing. You look nice in those shorts, by the way.
Linda: I don't use charm or help out just to promote Stephen! I just want the best for Stephen and that he gets where he is on merit!
Megan smiles: Of course. I'll see you at the next game.
Linda watches Megan walk away, feeling a mix of anger and frustration.
Sam overhears the conversation and walks over.
Sam: Ignore her. Soccer moms can be a handful. It's more stressful for me managing them than the coaching role. Stephen gets his opportunities on merit, nothing else.
Linda: I know that, Sam. It's just... I want him to get a scholarship even though he is still young. It's the only way out of the trailer park. By the way, someone stole his practice ball there. He let some boys borrow it and the ball disappeared. They all said it wasn't them. He's so disappointed.
Sam: Ignore her. Soccer moms can be a handful. It's more stressful for me managing them than the coaching role. Stephen gets his opportunities on merit, nothing else.
Linda: I know that, Sam. It's just... I want him to get a scholarship even though he is still young. It's the only way out of the trailer park. By the way, someone stole his practice ball there. He let some boys borrow it and the ball disappeared. They all said it wasn't them. He's so disappointed.
Sam looks at her, really seeing the desperation behind the ambition. He feels a sudden protective instinct toward the boy and the woman.
Sam: He's got the talent. We just need to refine the temperament. Come on, let's get these kids to their parents before the rain starts.
Linda softens: Thank you, Sam. For everything.
Sam: He's got the talent. We just need to refine the temperament. Come on, let's get these kids to their parents before the rain starts.
Linda softens: Thank you, Sam. For everything.
Later, Sam gets a nice quality ball and takes it the Lucas' trailer home. He drives up and Linda comes out .
Linda: Everything okay?
Sam: I've got something for Stephen. He produces a gift wrapped ball but it's pretty obvious what it is.
Linda: Stephen, can you come outside, please. Stephen runs out and sees the gift. Mr Roddick has got something for you.
Stephen's eyes light up: Wow, thank you.
Sam: Don't loan it out. It's a quality ball. Make sure you're playing when it's in use.
Linda: Everything okay?
Sam: I've got something for Stephen. He produces a gift wrapped ball but it's pretty obvious what it is.
Linda: Stephen, can you come outside, please. Stephen runs out and sees the gift. Mr Roddick has got something for you.
Stephen's eyes light up: Wow, thank you.
Sam: Don't loan it out. It's a quality ball. Make sure you're playing when it's in use.
Stephen runs off kicking the ball and is soon joined by other boys.
Linda: You didn't have to do that, Sam but it's appreciated. Now, let's go inside and have some tea.
They sit at a small dining table.
Linda: Stephen doesn't have a male role model. You and one of his school teachers are all he's got in that regard.
Sam: His father's out of the picture?
Linda: His father is well gone and not missed.
Sam: I try to be a role model for all the boys, especially those without a dad.
Linda: You are a stable influence, there coaching week after week. You are firm but fair.
Sam: Even if Stephen plays on the wing?
Linda smiles: Not fair, Sam. Anyway, I've always found you respectful and handle frustrations as a coach with calmness.
Sam: It's easy for a coach to get frustrated, but it doesn't help. Coaching requires discipline as much as playing does, maybe more. I want the boys to see that and be the same when they play. Respecting the authority of the official is essential. Respect for opponents, too.
Linda: You also set clear boundaries and standards. Miss training and you don't play.
Sam: I have to make sure they give themselves the best chance of succeeding. When a player tries their best, there is nothing to be critical about. If I sense a lack of commitment, I have a talk with them, no matter who they are. No improvement in the attitude and they are off the team. Parents are told why too, which isn't easy.
Linda: Thanks for the help with the team and for the ball you bought. You really didn't need to. I can afford one.
Sam: I wanted to. Anyway, I must be off.
Linda: You didn't have to do that, Sam but it's appreciated. Now, let's go inside and have some tea.
They sit at a small dining table.
Linda: Stephen doesn't have a male role model. You and one of his school teachers are all he's got in that regard.
Sam: His father's out of the picture?
Linda: His father is well gone and not missed.
Sam: I try to be a role model for all the boys, especially those without a dad.
Linda: You are a stable influence, there coaching week after week. You are firm but fair.
Sam: Even if Stephen plays on the wing?
Linda smiles: Not fair, Sam. Anyway, I've always found you respectful and handle frustrations as a coach with calmness.
Sam: It's easy for a coach to get frustrated, but it doesn't help. Coaching requires discipline as much as playing does, maybe more. I want the boys to see that and be the same when they play. Respecting the authority of the official is essential. Respect for opponents, too.
Linda: You also set clear boundaries and standards. Miss training and you don't play.
Sam: I have to make sure they give themselves the best chance of succeeding. When a player tries their best, there is nothing to be critical about. If I sense a lack of commitment, I have a talk with them, no matter who they are. No improvement in the attitude and they are off the team. Parents are told why too, which isn't easy.
Linda: Thanks for the help with the team and for the ball you bought. You really didn't need to. I can afford one.
Sam: I wanted to. Anyway, I must be off.
Then Stephen bursts into the trailer with his ball firmly tucked under his arm.
Stephen: Can Mr Roddick stay for dinner?
Linda looks across at Sam: He's most welcome, but he may have a prior appointment.
Sam: I do. My girlfriend Amy has invited me over for dinner, but thank you for asking.
Stephen looks dejected and Linda looks disappointed.
Linda: I never see Amy at any games.
Sam: She isn't really into sports.
Stephen: Can Mr Roddick stay for dinner?
Linda looks across at Sam: He's most welcome, but he may have a prior appointment.
Sam: I do. My girlfriend Amy has invited me over for dinner, but thank you for asking.
Stephen looks dejected and Linda looks disappointed.
Linda: I never see Amy at any games.
Sam: She isn't really into sports.
Sam leaves and Linda looks out the window as Sam drives away. Her disappointment has told her something she hadn't really thought about. She does like him, and now that Sam seems out of reach, his desirability has now gone up a notch or two. Stephen sits down and looks sad.
Stephen: I was hoping you and Mr Roddick would fall in love and get married.
Linda sits next to Stephen and reaches for his hand.
Linda: Don't be silly, Stephen. He's the coach.
Stephen: But he's nice.
Linda: He is nice. Now, I'll get dinner on.
Linda sits next to Stephen and reaches for his hand.
Linda: Don't be silly, Stephen. He's the coach.
Stephen: But he's nice.
Linda: He is nice. Now, I'll get dinner on.
The season continues and Linda now feels a bit awkward in Sam's company and keeps a little more distance between them. In the meantime, Sam and his girlfriend part ways, but Sam says nothing. The season finishes and Sam comes around to the trailer park and asks if he can take Linda and Stephen out for a meal to thank them for the support they gave him through the season.
Linda's eyes widen: I'm a bit surprised you'd want to.
Sam: You were great support for me, Linda. And Stephen gave his all for the team. Played wherever I wanted him to without complaint.
Linda smiles: Unlike me.
Linda's eyes widen: I'm a bit surprised you'd want to.
Sam: You were great support for me, Linda. And Stephen gave his all for the team. Played wherever I wanted him to without complaint.
Linda smiles: Unlike me.
Sam takes Linda and Stephen to a restaurant and they have a nice time. They go back to the trailer park and Stephen runs into the trailer while Linda lingers in the car with Sam.
Linda: Thank you for the meal, Sam. It was wonderful.
Sam: It's my pleasure, Linda.
Linda: Sam, I have to tell you something. I really like you. And not just as a coach.
Sam smiles: I like you too, Linda.
Linda: I know you have a girlfriend and I'm hardly someone a man like you would be interested in. I'm just a trailer park mom.
Sam: Linda, please don't talk about yorself like that. I'm a simple man. I like your ambition, I like how much you care for Stephen and I like the way you look.
Linda blushes: Really?
Sam: And I'm not currently seeing anyone. Amy and I went our separate ways a few months back.
Linda: I had no idea. Now I feel all flustered.
Sam: Can I come in? The car's a bit cramped.
Linda: Please do. Stephen will be so happy.
They go into to the trailer and spend the evening talking and getting to know each other more. It's a beautiful start to something special.
Sam: It's my pleasure, Linda.
Linda: Sam, I have to tell you something. I really like you. And not just as a coach.
Sam smiles: I like you too, Linda.
Linda: I know you have a girlfriend and I'm hardly someone a man like you would be interested in. I'm just a trailer park mom.
Sam: Linda, please don't talk about yorself like that. I'm a simple man. I like your ambition, I like how much you care for Stephen and I like the way you look.
Linda blushes: Really?
Sam: And I'm not currently seeing anyone. Amy and I went our separate ways a few months back.
Linda: I had no idea. Now I feel all flustered.
Sam: Can I come in? The car's a bit cramped.
Linda: Please do. Stephen will be so happy.
They go into to the trailer and spend the evening talking and getting to know each other more. It's a beautiful start to something special.
No comments:
Post a Comment