Joel arrives by shuttle bus to an airport and he is whisked off in a private jet. He looks around the interior of the plane, admiring its appointments. They are soon flying over the ocean with fluffy clouds far below.
The seat is comfortable and a hostess of Arabic ethnicity who initially greeted him presents herself again. She smiles.
Hostess: Good morning, Mr. Tanner. I hope you enjoy your flight. May I get you a drink?
Joel: Thank you. May I have a tonic?
Hostess: I'll be back in a moment with that.
After the drink and a light meal, Joel watches a movie, then does some media stuff and soon enough the plane starts to descend.
Hostess: We'll be arriving shortly. Please make sure your seatbelt is fastened.
Joel: Thank you. May I have a tonic?
Hostess: I'll be back in a moment with that.
After the drink and a light meal, Joel watches a movie, then does some media stuff and soon enough the plane starts to descend.
Hostess: We'll be arriving shortly. Please make sure your seatbelt is fastened.
After the plane lands, the door opens and a blast of hot air hits Joel's face. A stark contrast to the cool, airconditioned cabin. He sees a man waiting for him. He is wearing a white robe and a head covering. He is smiling warmly.
Omar: Welcome. Please, a car is waiting for you.
Joel sees a black limousine on the tarmac. He walks to the car and the chauffeur opens a rear door. Joel gets in and then Omar enters via the other door.
Neither talk as they drive off, and Joel looks out the window of the car and observes the desolate landscape.
Omar: Welcome. Please, a car is waiting for you.
Joel sees a black limousine on the tarmac. He walks to the car and the chauffeur opens a rear door. Joel gets in and then Omar enters via the other door.
Neither talk as they drive off, and Joel looks out the window of the car and observes the desolate landscape.
Eventually they arrive at a city, an oasis in stark contrast to what is around it. Pulling up at a five star hotel, the car door swings open and Joel alights. Again, the air hits like an oven door opening and releasing its captive heat.
He walks into the hotel lobby with Omar now at his side. Opulence is everywhere, from marble to leather.
He walks into the hotel lobby with Omar now at his side. Opulence is everywhere, from marble to leather.
Joel is escorted to a suite. It is spacious, yet almost austere. Still, the quality of what he sees is undeniable. Joel puts his suitcase down.
Omar: Take a shower to refresh yourself. I will be waiting here, but don't delay. The Sheikh is waiting for you in the garden. He is very eager to meet you, Mr. Tanner. Joel obeys and he comes out,wearing fresh clothing. Please, follow me.
Omar: Take a shower to refresh yourself. I will be waiting here, but don't delay. The Sheikh is waiting for you in the garden. He is very eager to meet you, Mr. Tanner. Joel obeys and he comes out,wearing fresh clothing. Please, follow me.
They walk into the garden, the warm air tempered by the water features that adorn the enclosed space. A man is waiting and escorts Joel to Sheikh Ahmed. He smiles radiant and genuine. They shake hands and Joel is ushered to a seat.
Sheikh Ahmed: Welcome to our country. It is so nice to have you here.
Joel is almost speechless but finds his voice: I'm not unappreciative or being defensive but what am I doing here? I don't even know where here is, apart from the Middle East?
Sheikh Ahmed: Relax Mr. Tanner, all will be revealed in due course. I trust your flight was pleasant?
Joel: Yes, thank you. The hostess was very attentive. You surely understand my confusion and my wishing to know what this is all about.
Sheikh Ahmed: We will have a banquet tonight in your honour Mr. Tanner. Just a small, intimate dinner. Then all will be revealed.
Joel: I'd prefer you use my name Joel, if that's not too informal.
Sheikh Ahmed nods, then snaps his fingers and drinks arrive: I believe you are partial to tonic water Joel? Refreshing and an excellent hydrator. Very useful in a warmer climate, not to mention travelling in an aeroplane with its dry atmosphere.
Joel: Yes, thank you. The hostess was very attentive. You surely understand my confusion and my wishing to know what this is all about.
Sheikh Ahmed: We will have a banquet tonight in your honour Mr. Tanner. Just a small, intimate dinner. Then all will be revealed.
Joel: I'd prefer you use my name Joel, if that's not too informal.
Sheikh Ahmed nods, then snaps his fingers and drinks arrive: I believe you are partial to tonic water Joel? Refreshing and an excellent hydrator. Very useful in a warmer climate, not to mention travelling in an aeroplane with its dry atmosphere.
Joel politely thanks Sheikh Ahmed and after a few pleasantries are exchanged, returns to his suite. A man is stationed at his door to assure unaccompanied wandering doesn't take place.
Joel's inquisitive nature has him investigate all the features at his disposal. He is taken by the smart-glass technology that turns the opaque wall of the bathroom partition into clear glass at the touch of a button. Small things and all that.
Joel's inquisitive nature has him investigate all the features at his disposal. He is taken by the smart-glass technology that turns the opaque wall of the bathroom partition into clear glass at the touch of a button. Small things and all that.
A knock at the door and he is summoned to the banquet. He walks in and is greeted by a nicely laid out table. Joel is ushered by Omar to a seat and offered tea. He graciously accepts. Then some men and women in traditional garb arrive and sit.
Food is served on large platters and placed on the table. All eat, with chatter and friendliness. Omar offers suggestions and explanations as required. He also translates some of the conversation.
Then Joel moves into a private lounge where Sheikh Ahmed is sitting. After a silence that seems to last eternally, the Sheikh speaks: You deserve an explanation Joel. Pauses almost nervously. Three months ago, in your home city, you encountered a young female tourist who was distressed. She had been robbed and you came to her aid.
You got her to a police station and after particulars were taken, drove her to the airport to catch her scheduled flight. You even sat with her in the departure area to calm her until she went through the gates to her plane. That young woman is my daughter, Maryam. She was at the banquet table, but I don't think you noticed her. Her appearance was somewhat different to what you would have seen in your country.
Joel: I do remember that unfortunate incident. I saw her distress and felt moved to help.
Sheikh Ahmed smiles: Here she is now.
Joel stands as Maryan enters the room. She offers a polite handshake and sits down. Her lustrous eyes are enchanting.
Sheikh Ahmed: Maryam was deeply moved by your kindness and the time you gave her to settle her after the ordeal. He pauses and continues: We took the liberty of learning something about you and it was favourable. Maryam is single and wishes for a kind man to share her life with.
Food is served on large platters and placed on the table. All eat, with chatter and friendliness. Omar offers suggestions and explanations as required. He also translates some of the conversation.
Then Joel moves into a private lounge where Sheikh Ahmed is sitting. After a silence that seems to last eternally, the Sheikh speaks: You deserve an explanation Joel. Pauses almost nervously. Three months ago, in your home city, you encountered a young female tourist who was distressed. She had been robbed and you came to her aid.
You got her to a police station and after particulars were taken, drove her to the airport to catch her scheduled flight. You even sat with her in the departure area to calm her until she went through the gates to her plane. That young woman is my daughter, Maryam. She was at the banquet table, but I don't think you noticed her. Her appearance was somewhat different to what you would have seen in your country.
Joel: I do remember that unfortunate incident. I saw her distress and felt moved to help.
Sheikh Ahmed smiles: Here she is now.
Joel stands as Maryan enters the room. She offers a polite handshake and sits down. Her lustrous eyes are enchanting.
Sheikh Ahmed: Maryam was deeply moved by your kindness and the time you gave her to settle her after the ordeal. He pauses and continues: We took the liberty of learning something about you and it was favourable. Maryam is single and wishes for a kind man to share her life with.
In our country, we are of the Muslim faith and her future husband must be of that faith. If you would consider learning about our religion and embracing it, then we would happily welcome you into our family.
Joel is stunned. He had no idea that an act of kindness would lead to this. He looks at Maryam, her head is bowed slightly, nervousness etched on her face. He feels attracted to her.
Joel: I appreciate your hospitality and your making me feel welcome. However, I know that it would be too much for me to transition to the Islamic faith. I belong elsewhere and I suspect Maryam belongs here. If she would consider moving, then I would consider her to be a potential wife, with the necessary courtship to confirm compatability.
Sheikh Ahmed nods but looks disappointed.
Maryam looks up: You are correct, This is my place. Thank you for the kindness you showed me. I am disappointed, but appreciate your frankness.
Joel: I appreciate your hospitality and your making me feel welcome. However, I know that it would be too much for me to transition to the Islamic faith. I belong elsewhere and I suspect Maryam belongs here. If she would consider moving, then I would consider her to be a potential wife, with the necessary courtship to confirm compatability.
Sheikh Ahmed nods but looks disappointed.
Maryam looks up: You are correct, This is my place. Thank you for the kindness you showed me. I am disappointed, but appreciate your frankness.
Joel stays a few more days, being shown around by Omar and Maryam. Maryam's demeanour is now relaxed and friendly, no longer burdened with uncertainty. Joel says good bye to Sheikh Ahmed and is then taken by limousine to the airport, where the small, private plane awaits. He shakes hands with Omar and turns to Maryam.
Joel: It was so nice to meet you and get to know you better. I wish you well.
Joel: It was so nice to meet you and get to know you better. I wish you well.
Hostess: Tonic Mr. Tanner?
Joel: But of course.
Joel: But of course.
She soon returns with his drink. He smiles as the plane lifts off. What an adventure, albeit of short duration. Maryam is delightful but it was not to be. He smiles at the pretty hostess and then looks out the window. He will soon be home.



No comments:
Post a Comment