Wednesday, 22 July 2026

The Gifts

Aaron adores Rosie. Rosie doesn't have the same intense love in return but pretends she does for her benefit. Eventually, he finds out the truth.

Aaron texts Rosie: Hi Rosie. Want to come over?
Rosie was hoping Steve, her other love interest, would ask her.
Rosie: Sure, Aaron. Be there in five.
Rosie arrives and they both hug. They sit in the lounge, conversation stilted.
Aaron: I bought you something. He hands Rosie a small parcel.
Rosie: Oh, you shouldn't have. Rosie removes the wrapping paper to reveal a small, flock covered box. She opens the box and is greeted by two very expensive earrings. Oh, they are exquisite? They must have cost a fortune.
Aaron: Well, not a fortune maybe, but they are quality. You're worth it so the price wasn't a concern.

Rosie hugs Aaron:
Thank you so much. Rosie goes to a mirror and puts them on. She moves her head from side to side to get a better idea of how they look on her.

Aaron: They look fabulous on you.
Rosie: They do, don’t they. Thank you so much, you're so thoughtful. Rosie glances at her phone and she notices Steve has texted her. Look, I have to go. But thank you so much. She throws her arms around Aaron's neck.

Aaron: Can't you stay a little longer, maybe a hot drink before you go?
Rosie: Well, sure. That would be nice. As Aaron makes the drink, Rosie texts Steve she will come over as soon as she can. Aaron brings the drink and Rosie has soon finished hers.
Rosie: Well, I really must go. Thank you again for your lovely gift. She hugs Aaron and leaves smiling.
Aaron feels happy to have seen Rosie, but realises she must have had a good reason for going.

Aaron and Rosie go out to the pub later in the week and Aaron insists on buying the drinks.
Rosie: Thank you Aaron, you're such a gentleman.
Aaron: The least I can do. He hesitates. Where do you see us in five years time?
Rosie: Oh, um, that's something I've not thought about but I do need to think about that. Rosie puts her hand on Aarons. Still, what we have now is special, don't you think?
Aaron: Of course. Aaron feels a little despondent with the reply. So think about it. I feel it's important to have goals in life, otherwise things just meander along.
Rosie: Well, I'm happy with meandering along for now. I want to enjoy the journey too.
Aaron: Sure, that's important.

A week later, Rosie suggests they go shopping together and they end up in a woman's fashion store. Rosie picks out a lovely dress and goes to the counter to pay. Aaron is already there, paying for it.
Rosie: Oh, I didn't expect you to do that. But thank you. You are so generous. Rosie kisses Aaron lightly on the lips and he feels happy to have treated her.
Aaron: I want to do things for you. Let you know how I feel.

They go for a coffee and Rosie goes out to the toilet. She accidentally leaves her phone behind and it vibrates. Aaron decides to quickly check the message.
Steve: Where are you Rosie, Still with that loser Aaron? Aaron puts the phone down as he found it. Rosie checks her messages, a slight smile crosses her lips and then she puts the phone down.
Rosie: Thanks again for the dress, you're so kind.
Aaron cannot contain himself any longer: Who's Steve.
Rosie looks aghast: Did you check my phone?
Aaron: Yes, it buzzed while you were away. I shouldn't have done it, I know but I couldn't resist. You don't let me know your friends. We hang out together but otherwise, the rest of you life is a mystery.
Rosie is indignant: How dare you spy on me. That's not right.
Aaron: I know and I'm sorry. But I do think you owe me an explanation about this Steve.
Rosie in an embarrassed but justifying tone: He's a friend.
Aaron: He called me a loser and you didn't bat an eyelid. I think you though it amusing even.
Rosie: I have another life. Yes that comment by Steve was uncalled for but you and I are not an item, are we? You're not the centre of my universe.
Aaron: I thought we were special.
Rosie now decides to show her real feelings: Well, we're not. You're a nice guy Aaron, but I'm not ready to settle down and I want to play the field.
Aaron feeling hurt: So all the times I've bought nice things for you, that was nothing special to you?
Rosie: Well, I didn't ask you to. That was your choice.
Aaron now feeling angry: So I've been played for a fool all this time.
Rosie defensively: No, I just wanted to enjoy myself, have fun. You saw more in it than there ever was.
Aaron: I could understand that but for your accepting expensive gifts. How could you do that and now say we were just friends?
Rosie, tired of the pretense: Look, you should have seen I wasn't that into you but you chose not to see it. That's not my problem.
Aaron realising their relationship could be about to end: So what now?
Rosie: I have plenty of friends, including Steve. You assumed too much.
 
Aaron:
Well, I'll pay for the coffees and be off.

Aaron stands to walk away and Rosie looks down and makes no eye contact. He stops at the door and turns back. He sees Rosie busy texting, probably telling Steve she will be over soon. 

He walks out, realising he learned a hard lesson. He should have seen through her but he just didn't want to believe it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment