Thursday, 23 July 2026

Ex Girlfriend

James and his ex Mel were together for some years before splitting up six months ago. Mel asks James if he wants to meet up for old times sake. They arrange to meet at a cafe and select a private table.

James:
So how have you been Mel?
Mel shrugs slightly: Same old same old. Just working mostly. You?
James: The same job and same apartment.
Mel: That’s good…I guess. Things are staying stable for you.
James: Yeah, stable is good. So what made you want to meet up?
Mel: I don’t know…just wanted to catch up. See how you’re doing. It’s been what, six months?
James: That would be right.
Mel: So…are you seeing anyone? Immediately regrets asking.
James lets out a short laugh. No, not really. Too busy with work. You?
Mel: Nah. Same boat as you. Funny, I heard through the grapevine that you had a girlfriend. Ginger hair and personality to match...you know a bit fiery.
James: Ah, that would be Caitlin. No, we have gone out occasionally, but more as a partner for dancing or other times just some company. We both like dancing.
Mel: Oh, it's good you have a social life then.
James: Absolutely. Do you get out much socially?
Mel: Not much. I'm doing a lot of overtime. Work has been busy, but I have rent to pay and a car to run, so the extra pay from the overtime comes in handy.
James: You used to have a penchant for buying nice things. Is that still something you do?
Mel: James, don't bring that up! That was always a bone of contention with you.
James: I'm not trying to open old wounds. It's your life now and your business, so I'm sorry I mentioned it. He puts his hands up and palms facing Mel in a defensive pose. It was just that we were saving up a deposit for a house.
Mel: Yes, we were. I guess I just wanted to indulge myself a bit. I grew up with very little in a poor family and had nothing. You never understood that.
James: Well, maybe you had a point, Mel. I was on a mission. I should have chilled out more, but I do have an excitable side and with it a sharp tongue.
Mel: What? You think I was right?
James: Probably, I don't know. More a case of I could have handled it better. It's all water under the bridge now.
Mel: It's a shame you didn't think more that way when we were together. A bit more understanding and we might still be an item. James chooses not to answer but a slightcocking of the head showing that he silently agrees.

There is a pause in the conversation as both reflect on what's been discussed and acknowledged.
James: So here we are, both paying rent, alone and with no romantic interest. I'm 25 and you're about the same..24? Mel nods. I feel I've got nowhere compared to where I wanted to be by now.
Mel: Me too.
James: Well at least we have that in common. An awkward silence. Can we at least be friends?
Mel: Yeah, friends. I guess. Sips her coffee awkwardly wondering where to go from here.
James: Another coffee?
Mel: Yeah, thanks. 

James returns and sits down.

James: I've had a religious caller who has been having chats with me. I was thinking a faith may give me some inner peace.
Mel looks at James in horror. What? You? Religious?
James: Not really. I feel empty inside and I'm trying to understand why we are here and what the purpose of our life is.
Mel leans forward and speaks in a lower tone. Maybe you need to find a good woman.
James laughs and asks inquisitively: Like you?
Mel blushes: That's not what I said.
James: Implied, maybe? You asked to get together for a drink, so I presume you were seeing if a flame could be rekindled.
Mel: Well…a little bit. I miss what we had, but I'm unsure if we can get it back or even if we want to. So what are you thinking?
James: You have got me reflecting on it, what we had. I still care about you. He looks at his watch. Darn. I'm sorry but the time has slipped by and I have to go, I have a meeting at work.
Mel: Oh..I see. But would you like to do this again?
James: I really would Mel. More than perhaps I showed. They both stand and hug.
Mel: Same time next week?
James: Yeah. Same time, same place. Bye Mel. He winks as a friendly departing gesture.
Mel: Bye James. 

Mel watches James walk away, a thoughtful smile ensues. She feels that James will come around eventually and her intended reluctance to push things too quickly was the right way to achieve that.

Sure enough, they do get back again to where they were. This time, both more mature and appreciative of what they have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment