Sunday, 26 July 2026

A Secret Admirer

Rod and Marcie have office cubicles next to each other. Rod has never married and doesn't have a girlfriend. Marcie has been married two years to Trevor. Macie teases Rod about his single life, which Rod has mixed feelings about.

They are both busy working away. Marcie grabs a hot drink and comes over to Rod's work station.

Marcie: Hey Rod, how's life treating you today? Still haven't found anyone to share that life with you, huh? She leans against his cubicle wall with a playful smirk. She notices the way his fingers pause just slightly on the keyboard before continuing to type.
Rod not looking up: I appreciate that you care Marcie, but when the right one comes along, you'll be the first to know. I promise.
Marcie raises an eyebrow and sets her coffee down on his desk: Oh come on, Roddy, you say that every time! You've got to put yourself out there more...when was the last time you went on a date? She nudges his shoulder lightly.
Rod finally looks up: Honestly? Probably that blind date you set me up on last year with your ex-college friend. The one who spent the whole dinner talking about her pet hamster and her obsession with Love Island.
Marcie: Okay, fair, that was a bad call, laughing. But seriously, there's a new café around the corner - perfect first date spot. Let me... She pulls out her phone excitedly.
Rod puts a hand over her screen gently: Marcie. I'm good. Really.
Marcie studies his face for a moment before nodding slowly: Alright, alright. But if you change your mind...We still on for lunch at noon?
Rod: Sure. 

As Rod walks to his car after work that day, he sees a card under the window wiper: Hi handsome. He examines the handwriting but it doesn't look familiar. He looks around that would be the guilty party watching. Marcie and two other office girls, Mandy and Sue see what happens and they come across to him.
Mandy: What's that about.
Rod: Oh, nothing.
Sue: Well your face indicates that it wasn't nothing. Rod shows them the card.
Marcie: Ooooo. Someone like you Rod. Although I can't recognise the hand writting.
Rod: Me neither. It's probably a prank.
Mandy: Oh, I don't know about that Rod. She winks.

Rod arrives home and gets dinner on. He sits down after having washed up the dishes and picks the card up for another scrutiny. He hates not knowing what it’s about but then puts it on the dresser and moves on.

A few days later, he arrives home to find a red rose on his front door mat. A small note attached says Not forgotten you. He looks around in a vain hope there is someone near to provide an answer, but of course there is no one.

The next day, Marcie wanders over: Any idea about the card, Rod?
Rod: No, it was probably a prank or the wrong car. He doesn't mention the rose.
Marcie: Nothing happened since then? How strange. It could be as you said.Rod starts thinking about it and it becomes annoying. He later wanders over to Marcie's work station, feeling he needs to get it off his chest.

Rod: Actually, I found a red rose on my doorstep last evening with a similar note attached.
Marcie: Oh wow Rod. That's exciting. So someone has their eye on you. She leans forward with a big grin. Who do you think it is?
Rod: I have no idea and it's bugging me. Would Sue or Mandy have done it. They’re both single and cheeky.
Marcie: I did wonder so I asked them in the cafeteria and they both said they weren’t saying. They are nice though. Do you have a preference?
Rod: No, they’re nice enough but I...maybe I need to get to know them better to have an opinion. 
Marcie: Well, whoever it is, they may show themselves eventually. Not much point otherwise. How would you react if one of them did come clean? Flattered? Annoyed?
Rod: I don't know, actually. I’d admire their style in a way but I'm an open person and I think they should be too. I don't mind if they or another officer worker is a secret admirer but if this goes on, it will get very frustrating. I don’t know girls outside of the office, so someone here is the most likely source.
Marcie: Fair enough. Maybe they will make themselves known soon. Let me know what happens.
Rod: Will do.

Rod gets home and is sitting at home, reading. The cell phone alerts him to a text.
Text: Did you like the rose? Rod stares at the text for a few seconds before responding.
Rod: Yes. Who is this?
Text: Someone who thinks you're handsome.
Rod: Well thanks but I'd like to know who you are.
Text: Soon.

Rod sighs. There is no identity shown and he has most of the the office girl’s numbers and they know that. It seems to have come via a phone with a prepaid SIM card. Rod replies once more asking who they are but no response. 

He says no more texts for two days but then another arrives.
Text: Meet me at The Secret Garden restaurant 6pm tomorrow.
Rod stares at the text, unsure whether to answer. He eventually replies: Only if you tell me who you are.
Text: The Secret Garden, tomorrow.
Rod sighs and knows further communication will be futile.

He gets to work and sits down, looking deep in thought and pensive. Marcie comes over.
Marcie: You look thoughtful Rod. Everything okay?
Rod: Yeah, all good.
Marcie: You're a terrible liar. Anything you want to talk about?
Rod: Not sure. He hesitates before continuing. I've been getting texts from a mystery person.
Marcie: Oh wow. Really? What do they say?
Rod: Just leading me along but....I will find out tonight. It has to be someone I know. I've looked around the office at all the single women but if I'm honest, none of them are setting my heart racing. If it's one of them, I won't know how to rebuff them without offending.
Marcie: Oh, I hope it's someone you've not thought of then.
Rod: Anyway, I'm best to forget it until tonight otherwise I'll be too nervous to go.

The day ends and Rod go to the rendezvous. He arrives on time and the maître d' is expecting him. He is shown to a seat but the mystery person is missing. Nerves are at an all time high. He keeps checking his watch anxiously. Then in walks Marcie. She smiles and walks over to him.

Marcie: Hi Rod. I see you got my messages.
Rod: You?! Shocked look.
Marcie: Yes, me. Marcie sits down.
Rod: I couldn’t detect the hand writing!
Marcie looks guilty:
I got a neighbour to write them for me. 
Rod: But you're married.
Marcie: Yes. I know. I'll explain. What I've never confided with anyone is that Trevor and I are finalising a divorce. You may have noticed I make excuses why Trevor doesn't make our bring-your-mate parties at work? We never got on since we tied the knot. I was hoping to wait until the ink was dry on the divorce papers to reveal myself but I could see the anxiety I was causing you. 
Marcie looks down embarrassed. I understand if you don't share the same feeling as I do for you.

Rod: I didn't think to have romantic feelings for you because you're a married woman. Of course, I like you and now I know, I'll...have to take all this in.
Marcie: I understand. Her voice has a hint of needing reassurance. Let's have a meal together now that we're here.
Rod sensing her need for reassurance, smiles and puts his hand on Marcie's: Yes, let's but can we play it cool until the divorce is complete? Call me old fashioned but I'd feel better that way.
Marcie: I understand. It won't be long now, a few weeks at the most.
Rod: I look forward to getting to know you better, in a different way than just friends.
Marcie smiles and nods. She appreciates Rod's principals and respectful nature. She feels confident they will contribute to a successful future together.

No comments:

Post a Comment