Josh comes to an informal, pre season meeting at the club house with the owner Brian.
Brian: So how's the squad looking for the season Josh?
Josh: Considering the budget we operate with, I think Pete has done a good job finding some potential players that seem to be flying under the radar.
Brian: Yeah, yeah but tell me straight. Any of them got what it takes to get us promoted?
Josh: There's this 18-year-old striker from the local academy, Jamie. Raw but with explosive pace. If Mike can work on his stamina and Monica keeps him fit, he could be special. First, we need to develop him properly and see how he handles competitive matches.
Brian: Always with the slow and steady approach.
Josh: Last year, the club finished in the lower half of the table. On top of that, we have now lost striker Mark Shaw to a bigger club. That has the potential to hurt us, but at least you got a good transfer fee. Wry smile.
Brian: In fairness, he wanted to go.
Josh: Fair point. I've got a few training ideas to get the most from the players. As for squad balance, we have youth with some experienced players that we managed to retain to mentor them. Any chance of using some of that transfer money for a proper scout network? Pete can't be everywhere at once.
Brian: You'll get me broke with all these ideas! Let's see how these kids pan out first.
Josh: Just think Brian, developing these youngsters properly means bigger transfer fees later.
Brian: Now that's music to my ears! Alright, I'll find some spare change somewhere. But I want to see results.
Preseason training goes well and hopefully it transfers on to the field. The first two games are against above average sides and Rovers lose both of them, but there was fight in the side. After the second match, Josh goes into the changing room after the game.
Josh: I know you're downhearted but I'm not. I'm liking what I'm seeing. I'm new to the club but looking at last season's results, the defence is proving more resilient. That's something we can build on. So keep it up.
Josh turns to Monica and asks about a couple of knocks two players took.
Monica: They should be fine. Just knocks. The squad is holding up well, considering how much we are asking them to do with high pressing.
Owner, Brian comes in: So what's the plan for the next game Josh?
Josh: We are playing a team battling relegation from last season. Hopefully our first three points, although I have heard they recruited strongly. Still, they've not played well in their first two games, so I'm optimistic.
Brian: Well, let's hope so. I've got investors coming to the game.
Josh smiles: Pressure noted. But we'll be ready.
Brian: Good. Because we need this win.
Josh: Understood. I'll work out a game plan to exploit their weaknesses.
Josh talks to Mike about how our conditioning programme is going and what they need to work on. Monica gets the squad back to full strength with her physio skills.
The third game starts poorly with a soft goal conceded and Rovers struggle to take control. They nick a goal just before half time and the players come in feeling relieved. Monica works on a few sore players while Josh and Pete go around the room, encouraging and tweaking tactics. Josh gives a final motivational speech and out they go. The team quickly takes control and they get their first win 3-1. The players are ecstatic in the sheds and all the staff smile at each other. Brian walks in.
Brian: That's more like it! The investors are happy and so am I. Keep this up and maybe we can talk about upgrading the youth facilities after all.
Josh: That would be brilliant Brian! Nothing gets fans excited like seeing local lads come through. Plus it's great for the finances.
Brian: Yeah yeah, let's not get carried away. One win doesn't make a season. But...good job today.
The season continues and the team starts picking up more wins. They take a hammering against the leading club Roseheath Albion 1-4 but lessons are learned. At the halfway point of the season, Overton Rovers are sixth on the table out of eighteen teams. Playoff matches for promotion is for the top four teams. Rovers have been lucky with injuries but then the in form striker, Jamie gets injured as they go into the second half of the season. After the game, Josh catches up with Monica to see how bad it is.
Monica: Not great Josh. Grade two hamstring tear. Out for maybe six weeks. Could me slightly more or less.
Brian hears the news: Six weeks! That's half the season left! What are we going to do now?
Josh: We got a solid back up in the transfer window, Graham Marsh. Free transfer thanks to Pete's negotiating skills. He isn't young but very experienced. His form will be vital if we are to get into the top four.
Brian: Alright, alright. Let's hope he stays fit. Because Jamie was our top scorer.
Josh: Agreed. But this is what we have Graham for. It's his chance to shine.
Brian: Well, let's see if he does.
Josh: Considering the budget we operate with, I think Pete has done a good job finding some potential players that seem to be flying under the radar.
Brian: Yeah, yeah but tell me straight. Any of them got what it takes to get us promoted?
Josh: There's this 18-year-old striker from the local academy, Jamie. Raw but with explosive pace. If Mike can work on his stamina and Monica keeps him fit, he could be special. First, we need to develop him properly and see how he handles competitive matches.
Brian: Always with the slow and steady approach.
Josh: Last year, the club finished in the lower half of the table. On top of that, we have now lost striker Mark Shaw to a bigger club. That has the potential to hurt us, but at least you got a good transfer fee. Wry smile.
Brian: In fairness, he wanted to go.
Josh: Fair point. I've got a few training ideas to get the most from the players. As for squad balance, we have youth with some experienced players that we managed to retain to mentor them. Any chance of using some of that transfer money for a proper scout network? Pete can't be everywhere at once.
Brian: You'll get me broke with all these ideas! Let's see how these kids pan out first.
Josh: Just think Brian, developing these youngsters properly means bigger transfer fees later.
Brian: Now that's music to my ears! Alright, I'll find some spare change somewhere. But I want to see results.
Preseason training goes well and hopefully it transfers on to the field. The first two games are against above average sides and Rovers lose both of them, but there was fight in the side. After the second match, Josh goes into the changing room after the game.
Josh: I know you're downhearted but I'm not. I'm liking what I'm seeing. I'm new to the club but looking at last season's results, the defence is proving more resilient. That's something we can build on. So keep it up.
Josh turns to Monica and asks about a couple of knocks two players took.
Monica: They should be fine. Just knocks. The squad is holding up well, considering how much we are asking them to do with high pressing.
Owner, Brian comes in: So what's the plan for the next game Josh?
Josh: We are playing a team battling relegation from last season. Hopefully our first three points, although I have heard they recruited strongly. Still, they've not played well in their first two games, so I'm optimistic.
Brian: Well, let's hope so. I've got investors coming to the game.
Josh smiles: Pressure noted. But we'll be ready.
Brian: Good. Because we need this win.
Josh: Understood. I'll work out a game plan to exploit their weaknesses.
Josh talks to Mike about how our conditioning programme is going and what they need to work on. Monica gets the squad back to full strength with her physio skills.
The third game starts poorly with a soft goal conceded and Rovers struggle to take control. They nick a goal just before half time and the players come in feeling relieved. Monica works on a few sore players while Josh and Pete go around the room, encouraging and tweaking tactics. Josh gives a final motivational speech and out they go. The team quickly takes control and they get their first win 3-1. The players are ecstatic in the sheds and all the staff smile at each other. Brian walks in.
Brian: That's more like it! The investors are happy and so am I. Keep this up and maybe we can talk about upgrading the youth facilities after all.
Josh: That would be brilliant Brian! Nothing gets fans excited like seeing local lads come through. Plus it's great for the finances.
Brian: Yeah yeah, let's not get carried away. One win doesn't make a season. But...good job today.
The season continues and the team starts picking up more wins. They take a hammering against the leading club Roseheath Albion 1-4 but lessons are learned. At the halfway point of the season, Overton Rovers are sixth on the table out of eighteen teams. Playoff matches for promotion is for the top four teams. Rovers have been lucky with injuries but then the in form striker, Jamie gets injured as they go into the second half of the season. After the game, Josh catches up with Monica to see how bad it is.
Monica: Not great Josh. Grade two hamstring tear. Out for maybe six weeks. Could me slightly more or less.
Brian hears the news: Six weeks! That's half the season left! What are we going to do now?
Josh: We got a solid back up in the transfer window, Graham Marsh. Free transfer thanks to Pete's negotiating skills. He isn't young but very experienced. His form will be vital if we are to get into the top four.
Brian: Alright, alright. Let's hope he stays fit. Because Jamie was our top scorer.
Josh: Agreed. But this is what we have Graham for. It's his chance to shine.
Brian: Well, let's see if he does.
The first game without Jamie starts poorly and Marsh gets booked early. Rovers struggle to create chances and go in 0-0 at half time. Monica works on the tired legs while Josh adjusts tactics and encourages the team. The second half starts better and Marsh scores the winner with a header from a corner. The players are thrilled to get the three points. Brian walks in.
Brian: Not pretty but three points. Good job Josh.
Josh: Thanks Brian. Marsh did well considering his lack of match fitness. Hopefully, he builds on this. What got us home was our defence. It's improving as the season progresses. The game was close, but I didn't feel they were going to score.
The season continues and they get into in the top four, finishing third. With Jamie back and Graham now a regular in the squad supporting him, Rovers get to third on the table, despite losing 1-2 to the top club again. Josh gets the support team together to talk about the final games.
Josh: I'd like to say thanks Pete for your excellent scouting. Marsh was an inspired signing and you talked his club into letting him go for nothing to lower their wage bill. Was the club in a bit of a financial trouble?
Pete: Yeah, they were looking to offload players to cut the wage bill.
Josh: And Mike, our conditioning programme has worked wonders. Few injuries and we've managed to play a high pressing game without fatiguing.
Mike: Credit to Monica. She's worked wonders with injuries and recovery.
Monica: Team effort Mike.
Josh: How are we looking for squad availability for the playoffs. There are a few who have been out the past two weeks.
Monica: Should all be available except one defender, who hasn't recovered from his knee injury.
Josh: That's great news. Enjoy the evening. Let's get this club promoted.
Brian: Not pretty but three points. Good job Josh.
Josh: Thanks Brian. Marsh did well considering his lack of match fitness. Hopefully, he builds on this. What got us home was our defence. It's improving as the season progresses. The game was close, but I didn't feel they were going to score.
The season continues and they get into in the top four, finishing third. With Jamie back and Graham now a regular in the squad supporting him, Rovers get to third on the table, despite losing 1-2 to the top club again. Josh gets the support team together to talk about the final games.
Josh: I'd like to say thanks Pete for your excellent scouting. Marsh was an inspired signing and you talked his club into letting him go for nothing to lower their wage bill. Was the club in a bit of a financial trouble?
Pete: Yeah, they were looking to offload players to cut the wage bill.
Josh: And Mike, our conditioning programme has worked wonders. Few injuries and we've managed to play a high pressing game without fatiguing.
Mike: Credit to Monica. She's worked wonders with injuries and recovery.
Monica: Team effort Mike.
Josh: How are we looking for squad availability for the playoffs. There are a few who have been out the past two weeks.
Monica: Should all be available except one defender, who hasn't recovered from his knee injury.
Josh: That's great news. Enjoy the evening. Let's get this club promoted.
Monica asks to see Josh privately.
Monica: I've been to a job interview a few weeks back and I have just been offered a position at a club two divisions higher for next season. I have accepted. I'll actually get a full time position and decent pay.
Josh: Oh, I'm happy for you, but you are going to be missed.
Monica: The thing is that during my interview, we got talking about how they are looking for an assistant manager. I mentioned you and since then the club owner and his assistant have been monitoring your work here. I heard they are impressed. If you get an offer, would you consider it?
Josh: Wow, that's come out of the blue. I'd be an idiot not to at least look at what's on offer.
Monica: I also mentioned our talent scout Pete and maybe he'll be on their radar too.
Josh: You have been busy Monica. If this all comes off, Brian is going to love you, not.
Monica: LOL. He'll lose most of his backroom staff.
Josh: Well, let's see what happens. First things first, get us promoted. That will strengthen all our hands.
The playoffs start and Rovers play the second placed side, Wilmslow FC, who have been struggling for form lately. Rovers beat them 2-0 with two first half goals. The top side Roseneath Albion wins its playoff fixture 3-0 against Plimmerton Utd. and goes through the season with just one loss early on to the side Rovers just beat, Wilmslow. All of the Rovers’ better players are available for the final promotion game against Albion.
Rovers defend stoutly and it's 0-0 at the break. Then Roseheath Albion go ahead early in the second half but Rovers pile on the pressure and get an equaliser in injury time.
Monica: I've been to a job interview a few weeks back and I have just been offered a position at a club two divisions higher for next season. I have accepted. I'll actually get a full time position and decent pay.
Josh: Oh, I'm happy for you, but you are going to be missed.
Monica: The thing is that during my interview, we got talking about how they are looking for an assistant manager. I mentioned you and since then the club owner and his assistant have been monitoring your work here. I heard they are impressed. If you get an offer, would you consider it?
Josh: Wow, that's come out of the blue. I'd be an idiot not to at least look at what's on offer.
Monica: I also mentioned our talent scout Pete and maybe he'll be on their radar too.
Josh: You have been busy Monica. If this all comes off, Brian is going to love you, not.
Monica: LOL. He'll lose most of his backroom staff.
Josh: Well, let's see what happens. First things first, get us promoted. That will strengthen all our hands.
The playoffs start and Rovers play the second placed side, Wilmslow FC, who have been struggling for form lately. Rovers beat them 2-0 with two first half goals. The top side Roseneath Albion wins its playoff fixture 3-0 against Plimmerton Utd. and goes through the season with just one loss early on to the side Rovers just beat, Wilmslow. All of the Rovers’ better players are available for the final promotion game against Albion.
Rovers defend stoutly and it's 0-0 at the break. Then Roseheath Albion go ahead early in the second half but Rovers pile on the pressure and get an equaliser in injury time.
After a scoreless extra time, they go into a penalty shoot out and Albion's fifth effort misses. Rovers win promotion!
The players party loud and hard. Brian comes into the sheds to talk to the players.
Brian: Congratulations lads! You've done the club proud!
Later, Brian pulls Josh aside.
Brian: Josh, we need to talk. I just heard that Monica is leaving and I'm getting whispers that you might have been tapped as well.
Josh: I've heard nothing official. Monica did tell me about a club being interested.
Brian: So, what are your plans?
Josh: Nothing has been decided yet. There hasn't been an offer.
Brian: Well, let me know if there is. I'm prepared to improve your package.
Josh: Appreciated Brian. The club has been great to me and I've enjoyed my time here.
Brian: Glad to hear it.
The next morning, Josh gets a call from the chairman of the club two divisions higher.
Chairman: We've been very impressed with your work Josh. We'd like to meet you personally and present an offer.
Later, Brian pulls Josh aside.
Brian: Josh, we need to talk. I just heard that Monica is leaving and I'm getting whispers that you might have been tapped as well.
Josh: I've heard nothing official. Monica did tell me about a club being interested.
Brian: So, what are your plans?
Josh: Nothing has been decided yet. There hasn't been an offer.
Brian: Well, let me know if there is. I'm prepared to improve your package.
Josh: Appreciated Brian. The club has been great to me and I've enjoyed my time here.
Brian: Glad to hear it.
The next morning, Josh gets a call from the chairman of the club two divisions higher.
Chairman: We've been very impressed with your work Josh. We'd like to meet you personally and present an offer.
Josh goes over for a meeting and the offer is impressive. Josh asks for 48 hours to consider. He then goes to Brian in his office to inform him that a formal offer has been made.
Brian: So, what's the offer?
Josh: Substantial Brian. Almost double my salary.
Brian: Double! Josh, be reasonable. You've been here one season. I can't afford that!
Josh: Brian, I'm just informing you that an offer has been made, and it's substantial.
Brian: Fine. Enjoy your new job. He turns away, disappointed.
Josh: Brian, I haven't accepted.
Brian turns back: What do you want Josh?
Josh: Well, the new club have offered to let me bring Pete with me.
Brian: Pete? He's the best scout in the lower divisions and I've got to keep him!
Josh: I think he's tempted by the idea of full time employment.
Brian: Josh, I need to think. Can I get back to you tomorrow?
Josh: Sure Brian.
Later that evening, Brian calls Josh.
Brian: Josh, I can up your salary by half again. I'll make a similar offer to Pete.
Josh: Thanks. I'll think about it overnight.
Brian: So, what's the offer?
Josh: Substantial Brian. Almost double my salary.
Brian: Double! Josh, be reasonable. You've been here one season. I can't afford that!
Josh: Brian, I'm just informing you that an offer has been made, and it's substantial.
Brian: Fine. Enjoy your new job. He turns away, disappointed.
Josh: Brian, I haven't accepted.
Brian turns back: What do you want Josh?
Josh: Well, the new club have offered to let me bring Pete with me.
Brian: Pete? He's the best scout in the lower divisions and I've got to keep him!
Josh: I think he's tempted by the idea of full time employment.
Brian: Josh, I need to think. Can I get back to you tomorrow?
Josh: Sure Brian.
Later that evening, Brian calls Josh.
Brian: Josh, I can up your salary by half again. I'll make a similar offer to Pete.
Josh: Thanks. I'll think about it overnight.
Josh calls Monica and tells her how things are progressing. She asks to meet up. She comes to Josh’s apartment that night.
Monica: I know this is unusual but I want to put my cards on the table. I have feelings for you Josh. I'd like to think that maybe we could pursue something in that regard.
Josh: Wow, I didn't know that Monica. I've been so consumed with this season, I didn't really think about it. But yes, when I heard you were going, my heart sank. The problem is the new club almost certainly won't sanction a potential relationship within its backroom staff.
Monica: I've been thinking about that too. If you didn't take the job, you could stay here, and we would be free to go out. That said, I don't want to jeopardise your career.
Josh: I'm almost certainly going to turn the move down. I want to build on what our team has achieved this season.
Monica: That's great news Josh! So do you are happy to start a long distance relationship?
Josh: Yes, I accept. It will present challenges but will give us a chance to get to know each other better.
They embrace and while tempted to do more, they agree to take things slowly and Monica leaves.
Monica: I know this is unusual but I want to put my cards on the table. I have feelings for you Josh. I'd like to think that maybe we could pursue something in that regard.
Josh: Wow, I didn't know that Monica. I've been so consumed with this season, I didn't really think about it. But yes, when I heard you were going, my heart sank. The problem is the new club almost certainly won't sanction a potential relationship within its backroom staff.
Monica: I've been thinking about that too. If you didn't take the job, you could stay here, and we would be free to go out. That said, I don't want to jeopardise your career.
Josh: I'm almost certainly going to turn the move down. I want to build on what our team has achieved this season.
Monica: That's great news Josh! So do you are happy to start a long distance relationship?
Josh: Yes, I accept. It will present challenges but will give us a chance to get to know each other better.
They embrace and while tempted to do more, they agree to take things slowly and Monica leaves.
The next morning, Josh goes to Brian's office.
Josh: Brian, I've decided to stay.
Brian: Good news Josh! Hopefully, we can keep Pete too. I've made an offer to him.
Josh: He rang me to see what I was doing. I think he will stay too as he doesn't want to uproot his family and also wants to continue what we have started here.
Brian: Great news all round! Now, let's talk about next season.
Josh: Brian, before we do, I have something else I need to tell you, of a personal nature. Monica and I are going to start dating.
Brian: Monica? But she's leaving!
Josh: I know. It's going to be long distance.
Brian: Well, good luck Josh, he says a tad dismissively. Now, let's talk about next season...
Josh: Brian, I've decided to stay.
Brian: Good news Josh! Hopefully, we can keep Pete too. I've made an offer to him.
Josh: He rang me to see what I was doing. I think he will stay too as he doesn't want to uproot his family and also wants to continue what we have started here.
Brian: Great news all round! Now, let's talk about next season.
Josh: Brian, before we do, I have something else I need to tell you, of a personal nature. Monica and I are going to start dating.
Brian: Monica? But she's leaving!
Josh: I know. It's going to be long distance.
Brian: Well, good luck Josh, he says a tad dismissively. Now, let's talk about next season...
No comments:
Post a Comment