Greg arrives at the Rossi grand home and knocks on the front door. Isabel answers it.
Isabel: Greg! Olivia told me you'd be stopping by today. Come in, come in! Tony's been going on about that deck extension for weeks now. She ushers him inside.
Greg: Hi Olivia, pleased to meet you. If you could show me what is needed, I'll measure up and provide a quote.
Isabel: Sure, come this way. She shows Greg to the rear of the house, overlooking a large garden, tennis court and swimming pool. We want to expand the existing decking. It's so small at the moment that it's not much use. Previous owners! Look, don't worry about the quote, just do it. We trust you'll be fair. Isabel pats Greg on the arm with a carefree smile.
Greg: I'll draw up plans and send them to you, so if you want to change anything before I start..
Isabel: Greg, listen, we trust you. Honestly, just surprise us! I'm sure whatever you come up with will be fabulous. Tony loves creative solutions and we are not creative when it comes to this sort of thing.
Greg: That's very kind of you. I'll ensure you're happy. Shall we say a week, start on Monday?
Isabel: Perfect! Though...she lowers her voice conspiratorially...could you maybe start on Saturday instead? Tony's away on business and I'd love to surprise him when he gets back. Cash payment, no paperwork, keeps everything nice and simple, right?
Greg: I... suppose I could rearrange some things. Though I normally prefer invoices for tax purposes.
Isabel: Olivia says you could use the extra cash.
Greg ignores the comment: Well, I'll bring my tools and get started early.
Isabel: Wonderful! You're an absolute darling. Now, would you like some lemonade?
Greg: No, thank you, I best be getting back. I'll see you Saturday.
Greg gets home: Olivia, did you say we were struggling a bit financially?
Olivia looks up from her magazine with practiced innocence: Oh darling, I might have mentioned we're watching our pennies. Why? You know how women are, it's just small talk between friends.
Greg: It's just... she offered to pay cash, no invoice and that you said we could use the extra cash.
Olivia: Oh Greg, you're always so suspicious! Isabel's just being generous. Honestly, with the hours you've been putting in lately just to pay the bills, I thought you'd be thrilled for the cash job.
Greg: I just... never mind. I'll start Saturday like we agreed.
Olivia: That's my practical man. Now tell me, did you see their pool? Isn't it to die for? Maybe one day...
Greg: It was... certainly something, but out of our league. Our garden is too small anyway.
Olivia pouts playfully: Oh, don't be such a bore! Dream a little, darling. Who knows what opportunities might come our way? Especially with you now working for people like the Rossis.
Greg: What exactly does Tony do for a living, anyway? That house wasn’t cheap.
Olivia: Import-export, darling. Something terribly dull about shipping containers. But enough about them, I was thinking we could go out to dinner Friday night.
Greg: That sounds nice. Though I thought we were watching our pennies?
Olivia laughs: No need for sarcasm.
Greg enlists a labourer and builds the deck in quick time before Tony gets home. When completed, he stands back and Olivia is gushing in her praise. Greg insists on an invoice and she says she will pay immediately. The price is higher due to the rush and employing someone to help him. When Olivia sees the invoice, she complains it's too low.
Isabel: Greg, sweetheart, you're underselling yourself again! Now let me just pay for that. While the labourer is putting our gear in the truck, Isabel produces a wad of cash in an envelope. You'll find it's all there. Enough for the invoice and some cash as a gift to say thank you for getting it done so quickly. No tax on the extra. Tony also wants you to do some work on a warehouse we have across town. I'll leave that to him to tell you.
Greg gets home and as it's Friday night, they go out for dinner as planned. They sit at the table and Olivia is very curious about how things went. She desides to press for info.
Isabel: Greg! Olivia told me you'd be stopping by today. Come in, come in! Tony's been going on about that deck extension for weeks now. She ushers him inside.
Greg: Hi Olivia, pleased to meet you. If you could show me what is needed, I'll measure up and provide a quote.
Isabel: Sure, come this way. She shows Greg to the rear of the house, overlooking a large garden, tennis court and swimming pool. We want to expand the existing decking. It's so small at the moment that it's not much use. Previous owners! Look, don't worry about the quote, just do it. We trust you'll be fair. Isabel pats Greg on the arm with a carefree smile.
Greg: I'll draw up plans and send them to you, so if you want to change anything before I start..
Isabel: Greg, listen, we trust you. Honestly, just surprise us! I'm sure whatever you come up with will be fabulous. Tony loves creative solutions and we are not creative when it comes to this sort of thing.
Greg: That's very kind of you. I'll ensure you're happy. Shall we say a week, start on Monday?
Isabel: Perfect! Though...she lowers her voice conspiratorially...could you maybe start on Saturday instead? Tony's away on business and I'd love to surprise him when he gets back. Cash payment, no paperwork, keeps everything nice and simple, right?
Greg: I... suppose I could rearrange some things. Though I normally prefer invoices for tax purposes.
Isabel: Olivia says you could use the extra cash.
Greg ignores the comment: Well, I'll bring my tools and get started early.
Isabel: Wonderful! You're an absolute darling. Now, would you like some lemonade?
Greg: No, thank you, I best be getting back. I'll see you Saturday.
Greg gets home: Olivia, did you say we were struggling a bit financially?
Olivia looks up from her magazine with practiced innocence: Oh darling, I might have mentioned we're watching our pennies. Why? You know how women are, it's just small talk between friends.
Greg: It's just... she offered to pay cash, no invoice and that you said we could use the extra cash.
Olivia: Oh Greg, you're always so suspicious! Isabel's just being generous. Honestly, with the hours you've been putting in lately just to pay the bills, I thought you'd be thrilled for the cash job.
Greg: I just... never mind. I'll start Saturday like we agreed.
Olivia: That's my practical man. Now tell me, did you see their pool? Isn't it to die for? Maybe one day...
Greg: It was... certainly something, but out of our league. Our garden is too small anyway.
Olivia pouts playfully: Oh, don't be such a bore! Dream a little, darling. Who knows what opportunities might come our way? Especially with you now working for people like the Rossis.
Greg: What exactly does Tony do for a living, anyway? That house wasn’t cheap.
Olivia: Import-export, darling. Something terribly dull about shipping containers. But enough about them, I was thinking we could go out to dinner Friday night.
Greg: That sounds nice. Though I thought we were watching our pennies?
Olivia laughs: No need for sarcasm.
Greg enlists a labourer and builds the deck in quick time before Tony gets home. When completed, he stands back and Olivia is gushing in her praise. Greg insists on an invoice and she says she will pay immediately. The price is higher due to the rush and employing someone to help him. When Olivia sees the invoice, she complains it's too low.
Isabel: Greg, sweetheart, you're underselling yourself again! Now let me just pay for that. While the labourer is putting our gear in the truck, Isabel produces a wad of cash in an envelope. You'll find it's all there. Enough for the invoice and some cash as a gift to say thank you for getting it done so quickly. No tax on the extra. Tony also wants you to do some work on a warehouse we have across town. I'll leave that to him to tell you.
Greg gets home and as it's Friday night, they go out for dinner as planned. They sit at the table and Olivia is very curious about how things went. She desides to press for info.
Olivia: So, how did the job go, darling?
Greg: Good. The labourer I hired worked well and I was paid on the spot...in cash. And more than I invoiced them for. As a thank you, not earnings, apparently. Very generous but also... a hint of suspicion in his comment.
Olivia leans forward eagerly: And?
Greg: Good. The labourer I hired worked well and I was paid on the spot...in cash. And more than I invoiced them for. As a thank you, not earnings, apparently. Very generous but also... a hint of suspicion in his comment.
Olivia leans forward eagerly: And?
Greg: She said Tony wants me to do some work on a warehouse across town.
Olivia: Greg, that's wonderful! You know what this means? The Rossi account could change everything!
Greg: Olivia, his import-export business must be very lucrative. But paying in cash is a red flag to me, especially as a bonus.
Olivia: I've befriended them and I told them your workmanship is outstanding. It's much better than your business sense. Always charging too little. Anyway, they demand discretion, so no need to tell others about this lucrative arrangement.
Greg: Discretion? Why? I'm a builder and carpenter, so my work isn't something to be clandestine about.
Olivia: What the client wants, the client gets.
Later, Greg asks a friend who is a super sleuth (Tom) to discreetly investigate the Rossis. Tom owed Greg for some work he did for him without charging. Tom soon gets back to Greg.
Tom: He's more than an importer/exporter, Greg. That business seems legit, but I may be wrong on that. He is also linked to nightclubs and casinos. I say linked as the trail is tenuous at best.
Greg goes to Rossi's factory and receives a warm welcome from Tony. He wants Greg to build several tiny rooms, stacked high and clad them in a way it seems they don't exist. Like a false wall in front of them. The plans are well drawn. Tony says he wants the plans back once the work is completed and that Greg must work alone, despite the size of the job.
Tony: I need your utmost discretion, Greg. I keep my business private, and I expect those I employ to do the same. I also want you to extend our offices too. Those plans are separate. Can you estimate roughly on the spot how much for the office work, and also how much for the other rooms?
Greg: Hmmm, 25k each. Total 50k.
Tony: Just bill me for the office, but charge the full 50k. Any questions, Greg?
Greg: No.
Tony: Good man. Here's a deposit in cash, 15k. Another 15k as a progress payment and the 20k balance when you finish. Also, don't forget that discretion is key. Any questions Greg?
Greg: No Tony, I appreciate the work.
Greg goes home and realises that anything he says to Olivia will be dismissed, the money blinding here heart to a questionable operation. Still, he tries.
Greg: I'd like to talk, and please don't reply until I'm finished. He pauses. The building operation at the warehouse is dodgy...
Olivia: Greg, that's wonderful! You know what this means? The Rossi account could change everything!
Greg: Olivia, his import-export business must be very lucrative. But paying in cash is a red flag to me, especially as a bonus.
Olivia: I've befriended them and I told them your workmanship is outstanding. It's much better than your business sense. Always charging too little. Anyway, they demand discretion, so no need to tell others about this lucrative arrangement.
Greg: Discretion? Why? I'm a builder and carpenter, so my work isn't something to be clandestine about.
Olivia: What the client wants, the client gets.
Later, Greg asks a friend who is a super sleuth (Tom) to discreetly investigate the Rossis. Tom owed Greg for some work he did for him without charging. Tom soon gets back to Greg.
Tom: He's more than an importer/exporter, Greg. That business seems legit, but I may be wrong on that. He is also linked to nightclubs and casinos. I say linked as the trail is tenuous at best.
Greg goes to Rossi's factory and receives a warm welcome from Tony. He wants Greg to build several tiny rooms, stacked high and clad them in a way it seems they don't exist. Like a false wall in front of them. The plans are well drawn. Tony says he wants the plans back once the work is completed and that Greg must work alone, despite the size of the job.
Tony: I need your utmost discretion, Greg. I keep my business private, and I expect those I employ to do the same. I also want you to extend our offices too. Those plans are separate. Can you estimate roughly on the spot how much for the office work, and also how much for the other rooms?
Greg: Hmmm, 25k each. Total 50k.
Tony: Just bill me for the office, but charge the full 50k. Any questions, Greg?
Greg: No.
Tony: Good man. Here's a deposit in cash, 15k. Another 15k as a progress payment and the 20k balance when you finish. Also, don't forget that discretion is key. Any questions Greg?
Greg: No Tony, I appreciate the work.
Greg goes home and realises that anything he says to Olivia will be dismissed, the money blinding here heart to a questionable operation. Still, he tries.
Greg: I'd like to talk, and please don't reply until I'm finished. He pauses. The building operation at the warehouse is dodgy...
Olivia stares at him, then speaks: Oh for goodness sake, Greg! Stop being such a prude! This is our golden opportunity and you're getting paranoid! Do you have any idea what this money could do for us?
Greg: Let me finish. There is something odd with his warehouse. It's not just goods going through there. I think people are. Perhaps illegal immigrants coming in. Possibly people going out too who want to leave discreetly...or even leaving against their will. I know the money is good, too good. If this blows up, I will have a hard time explaining I was ignorant.
Olivia: Oh Greg, you're adorable when you're being dramatic! People smuggling? Really? Tony's a businessman, darling. A very successful one. And if he wants to pay us handsomely for some discreet construction work, that's his prerogative! Besides... don't you think we deserve this?
Greg: Olivia, I love you, but I'm not sure about this. I'll finish what I've started and then...I don't know if Tony would like me finishing up with him. I know too much already.
Olivia: Fine. But don't come crying to me when you've thrown away the best opportunity we've ever had.
Greg reluctantly decides to go to the police. He tells the sergeant everything, who thanks him and says he will investigate. Greg goes on to do some other work and then goes home. Olivia is strangely quiet but assures Greg she has a headache.
Olivia says nothing in reply.
During Greg's incarceration, he has a female counsellor, Melanie Berger. They hit it off, but they kept things professional. Greg is now free to pursue a romantic relationship with Melanie. Things work out between them, so in due course, they decide to marry and set up a home together.
Greg: Let me finish. There is something odd with his warehouse. It's not just goods going through there. I think people are. Perhaps illegal immigrants coming in. Possibly people going out too who want to leave discreetly...or even leaving against their will. I know the money is good, too good. If this blows up, I will have a hard time explaining I was ignorant.
Olivia: Oh Greg, you're adorable when you're being dramatic! People smuggling? Really? Tony's a businessman, darling. A very successful one. And if he wants to pay us handsomely for some discreet construction work, that's his prerogative! Besides... don't you think we deserve this?
Greg: Olivia, I love you, but I'm not sure about this. I'll finish what I've started and then...I don't know if Tony would like me finishing up with him. I know too much already.
Olivia: Fine. But don't come crying to me when you've thrown away the best opportunity we've ever had.
Greg reluctantly decides to go to the police. He tells the sergeant everything, who thanks him and says he will investigate. Greg goes on to do some other work and then goes home. Olivia is strangely quiet but assures Greg she has a headache.
Later, there is a knock at the door. The sergeant and two officers are at the door. They have a search warrant.
Greg: What's up?
Sergeant: We have reason to believe you are involved in drug dealing. They push Greg aside and start searching the house. One of the officers calls out. In the wardrobe, there is a locked briefcase. Is this yours?
Greg: What's up?
Sergeant: We have reason to believe you are involved in drug dealing. They push Greg aside and start searching the house. One of the officers calls out. In the wardrobe, there is a locked briefcase. Is this yours?
Greg: Yes. Here is the key. I can explain.
The policeman opens it and there is money and a sachet carrying white powder: Explain then.
Greg: The money is surplus earnings from building a deck for the Rossis. The powder on the other hand has nothing to do with me. I don’t know how it got there.
Sergeant: So you say the Rossis paid you extra cash for building a deck? You gave them an invoice and they give you all that extra? Why?
Greg: It didn't make sense to me either, but I do tend to undercharge and they insisted. We've been a bit hard up, so I took it.
Sergeant: So you admit to taking illicit payments?
Greg: No, I admit to taking payment for work done and said the extra was a tip.
Sergeant: And the powder?
Greg: I've never seen that before.
Sergeant: The money is yours and you put it in a locked case, but the powder got there somehow. Do others know where the key is?
Greg: Only my wife, Olivia.
The policeman opens it and there is money and a sachet carrying white powder: Explain then.
Greg: The money is surplus earnings from building a deck for the Rossis. The powder on the other hand has nothing to do with me. I don’t know how it got there.
Sergeant: So you say the Rossis paid you extra cash for building a deck? You gave them an invoice and they give you all that extra? Why?
Greg: It didn't make sense to me either, but I do tend to undercharge and they insisted. We've been a bit hard up, so I took it.
Sergeant: So you admit to taking illicit payments?
Greg: No, I admit to taking payment for work done and said the extra was a tip.
Sergeant: And the powder?
Greg: I've never seen that before.
Sergeant: The money is yours and you put it in a locked case, but the powder got there somehow. Do others know where the key is?
Greg: Only my wife, Olivia.
Sergeant: So you’re accusing her?
Greg: No, just answering your question.
Sergeant: You said there were special rooms you were building for Mr Rossi. In our search in your office, we only found plans for an office extension.
Greg: The second plans were with them in my office.
Sergeant: We only found one set of plans.
Greg: So what would be my motive for going to the police if I have no evidence of these hidden rooms? Someone must have taken the second plans, the person who planted the drugs.
The Sergeant ignores Greg's pleas: Our enquiry is ongoing. In the meantime, you will come to the station to assist us.
Greg: No, just answering your question.
Sergeant: You said there were special rooms you were building for Mr Rossi. In our search in your office, we only found plans for an office extension.
Greg: The second plans were with them in my office.
Sergeant: We only found one set of plans.
Greg: So what would be my motive for going to the police if I have no evidence of these hidden rooms? Someone must have taken the second plans, the person who planted the drugs.
The Sergeant ignores Greg's pleas: Our enquiry is ongoing. In the meantime, you will come to the station to assist us.
Greg goes down the stairs handcuffed and there is Olivia. She insists: I have nothing to do with this, officers.
Greg: Olivia, what's going on?Olivia says nothing in reply.
Sergeant: Mrs Holmes, your husband is accused of drug dealing.
Olivia: Exactly what you deserve, Greg. Drug dealing because you couldn't earn enough honestly?
Greg: Olivia, you know me better than that.
Olivia: Exactly what you deserve, Greg. Drug dealing because you couldn't earn enough honestly?
Greg: Olivia, you know me better than that.
Greg is led off and put in a squad car.
Later, Greg is being interviewed by the sergeant: Mr Rossi tipped us off that you have been working with a Mr. Conti, a nightclub owner. Have you recently done some work for him?
Greg: Yes, but it was nothing out of the ordinary.
Sergeant: Well, Mr Conti said you offered some drugs to him. You were short of money and desperate. He refused naturally, but was upset that you tried to get him into illegal activity.
Greg: Like Mr. Conti never does anything like that.
Sergeant: That's what you assumed, but you assumed wrong. He is an honest nightclub owner.
Greg: I heard Mr. Rossi had nightclub connections. Now I know where. I didn't offer drugs, and there is no proof I did.
Greg’s lawyer tells him to say no more. Greg asks to see his wife, but she refuses to see him. He is found guilty and goes to prison. Eventually, Olivia visits Greg. She tells him Mr Rossi employed another builder and got all the necessary work done. Olivia is now working for Mr. Rossi, doing administrative work and she has paid off all debts, with the house now freehold.
Olivia: I'm divorcing you Greg. You were never ambitious enough.
Greg: Olivia, you know that stuff wasn't mine.
Olivia smiles coldly: What I do know is Tony has friends in high places, so there was nothing to worry about. You could have done the work he wanted and we would have been in clover. You went to the police without telling me. I'm here to serve divorce papers. I’ll arrange for a land agent to value our home and buy you out. Your share will be put in an account so you have something when you get out of here. Isabel Rossi's brother has moved in with me, and we have ambitious plans. Good bye, Greg.
Greg: Yes, but it was nothing out of the ordinary.
Sergeant: Well, Mr Conti said you offered some drugs to him. You were short of money and desperate. He refused naturally, but was upset that you tried to get him into illegal activity.
Greg: Like Mr. Conti never does anything like that.
Sergeant: That's what you assumed, but you assumed wrong. He is an honest nightclub owner.
Greg: I heard Mr. Rossi had nightclub connections. Now I know where. I didn't offer drugs, and there is no proof I did.
Greg’s lawyer tells him to say no more. Greg asks to see his wife, but she refuses to see him. He is found guilty and goes to prison. Eventually, Olivia visits Greg. She tells him Mr Rossi employed another builder and got all the necessary work done. Olivia is now working for Mr. Rossi, doing administrative work and she has paid off all debts, with the house now freehold.
Olivia: I'm divorcing you Greg. You were never ambitious enough.
Greg: Olivia, you know that stuff wasn't mine.
Olivia smiles coldly: What I do know is Tony has friends in high places, so there was nothing to worry about. You could have done the work he wanted and we would have been in clover. You went to the police without telling me. I'm here to serve divorce papers. I’ll arrange for a land agent to value our home and buy you out. Your share will be put in an account so you have something when you get out of here. Isabel Rossi's brother has moved in with me, and we have ambitious plans. Good bye, Greg.
Greg gets his divorce. He realises Olivia was involved in the planting of evidence that led to his imprisonment. How could she? The love of money does terrible things to people. She was no longer the person he married.
Then, a little later, the police root out some corruption in the force and the new, untainted team does a bust on a drug ring in town. Through the investigation, someone finally talks, and from what is disclosed, the whole corrupt scenario is blown wide open.
Greg is now proved to have been set up and is cleared of wrongdoing. He is released as a consequence of this new investigation. Olivia and her new associates are rounded up for a variety of illegalities, including people smuggling. They all receive prison sentences of varying lengths, depending on their charges and their willingness to cooperate.
Greg, the innocent man, was cleared and the corrupt ring was caught. He realises that it doesn't always work out that way. What goes around sometimes comes around. If only it happened more often. He knows he was one of the lucky ones.

No comments:
Post a Comment