Thomas outside William's estate: Beggin' yer pardon, m'lord, but...we've got no choice. He pushes shy Emma forward slightly, her dress hanging loose on her lean frame. She's strong, she is. Works harder'n any boy twice her size. Her name be Emma.
William looks at Emma's bedraggled appearance, her head lowered. He wonders if she could indeed be useful but also feels pity without showing it. Thomas prods Emma and tells her to speak up.
Emma: I-I can tend gardens, m’lord. Or...or stitch, if you've need. Her voice barely above a whisper as she stares at the ground, fingers twisting in her frayed apron. Don't eat much neither.
William: Very well. I could do with someone to help with domestic chores. Not really true but he feels for the family's plight.
Thomas: Thank ye, m'lord! God bless ye. He bows repeatedly, already backing away. She won't disappoint, I swear it! He hurries off before William has time to change his mind.
They arrive unannounced at a small house and farmlet just out of town. Thomas comes out of the house with a walking stick: M’lord! What a surprise! Emma! How nice to see you.
Emma: Father! She runs up and hugs him.
William: I just heard about your accident. No doubt your sons are growing and helping financially. Still, I wanted to give you a few provisions to help out.
David carries a bag of flour in and then returns for some meat and treats for the children.
Thomas: M’lord, this is so kind. Thank you.
Thomas's wife Matilda: Come in m’lord. Would you like tea?
William: Thank you but I'm going out tonight so cannot stay long. I just wanted to help you through this trying time.
William and Emma head back to the manor. William dresses in his finest and gets ready to visit the Elmwood Estate. Emma is tidying up the lounge when William happens to walk in. Emma looks at him and cannot hide her favourable impression.
William: Do I look suitably dressed to impress Beatrice?
Emma: Oh yes m’lord. You look very handsome.
William: Thank you. Not as handsome as you looked when you dressed up today.
Emma blushing: M’lord is too kind.
The evening goes uneventfully. Beatrice simply doesn't ignite a spark in William. He feels frustrated that he finds Emma so much more to his liking but the difference in status will keep them apart. Instead he feels obliged to marry into a wealthy family with breeding, as they call it.
Emma: I-I can tend gardens, m’lord. Or...or stitch, if you've need. Her voice barely above a whisper as she stares at the ground, fingers twisting in her frayed apron. Don't eat much neither.
William: Very well. I could do with someone to help with domestic chores. Not really true but he feels for the family's plight.
Thomas: Thank ye, m'lord! God bless ye. He bows repeatedly, already backing away. She won't disappoint, I swear it! He hurries off before William has time to change his mind.
Emma stands frozen, looking back and watching her father retreat down the lane. The reality of being left behind settles over her like a sudden chill. She wraps her arms around herself.
William: Come on then Emma. Let's be getting you settled and useful.
Emma nods silently, following a few paces behind William as they approach the grand house and then enter.
William: Here is a room for you to sleep. There is a mattress of sorts on the floor and small cupboard to put your things. Spend a few minutes getting sorted then come down the hall and through that door. I'll introduce you to your mistress who will take you under her wing.
Emma enters the small room, looks around it, a little overwhelmed. She has never slept in a room of her own before. She has nothing to put in the cupboard except the clothes on her back and her hairbrush. Emma soon comes into the kitchen where Agnes Miller has been informed of her new help. Agnes is pleased to have an extra pair of hands.
William: Emma, this is Agnes your mistress. You will obey her implicitly. She is hard but fair.
Agnes nods approvingly at Emma. Good strong arms on this one. You'll do nicely.
Emma bobs a quick curtsey: Thank you. I'll work hard ma'am.
Time passes and Emma settles in nicely. Agnes is a bit hard on her at times William feels but as it's not excessive, he doesn't interfere. One day he comes into the kitchen and sits on a chair by the wall. Emma is scrubbing bench tops and Agnes is cooking something on the stove. Agnes looks across and sees a sad and lonely man, never fully recovered from the loss of his beloved young wife Alice.
Agnes mutters to Emma: Poor man. Still grieves for his Alice. What he needs is a new wife.
Emma glances quickly at William. He seems so sad sometimes, she thinks with empathy
William: What are you two muttering about?
Agnes laughs: Oh, just women's talk. If I may be impertinent, you need a wife m'lord.
William: Really? Well Lord Brayshaw who owns the Elmwood Estate has invited me to dinner tomorrow night. I know what he's up to. He has a daughter, Beatrice who's not yet found a suitor and he wants me to take her off his hands. I'm not silly. She is pretty but with a meddlesome character and is spoiled rotten.
Agnes: Well...Beatrice is a lovely woman and she would be able to provide you with an heir.
William: Yes, yes, I'm well aware of that. Anyway, I won't be requiring dinner that night. You two, along with Alfred (the gardener) and David (in the stables), can eat when you want. I hope Alfred and David are keeping their hands to themselves Emma.
Emma: Oh yes m’lord. They are very respectful.
Agnes: Yes, they are good men. In my case more the pity. She laughs.
William: It's time you found someone, Agnes. No fine men in the village caught your eye? You're not getting any younger.
Agnes: Oh, there are a couple of nice widowers, but they're too slow to ask me out.
William: You probably scare them off. He winks and heads back to the living room. He calls for tea and Emma brings some in.
Emma: Here you are m’lord. She places the tray down on the table.
William: Thank you Emma. You've been here two years now. How is your family?
Emma: They are well m’lord. They often ask after you.
William: It's good you keep in touch. Are they coping financially?
Emma: Not really m’lord. Father broke his leg and can't work as hard as he used to.
William: I didn't know about this. Was this recently?
Emma: About three months ago m’lord.
William: You should have told me. I'll visit them and I'd like you to accompany me Emma. I'll tell Agnes.
Emma: Oh thank you m’lord!
David gets the horse and carriage ready and will drive William and Emma to Emma's family home. William gets Agnes to get together some basic provisions to help the family out. Emma has never ridden in a carriage before and is a little overwhelmed. She dresses up nicely in something she bought from her modest income William pays her. She walks out to the carriage, excited, nervous and self conscious.
William: You look lovely Emma
Emma blushing: Thank you m’lord.
William: Come on then Emma. Let's be getting you settled and useful.
Emma nods silently, following a few paces behind William as they approach the grand house and then enter.
William: Here is a room for you to sleep. There is a mattress of sorts on the floor and small cupboard to put your things. Spend a few minutes getting sorted then come down the hall and through that door. I'll introduce you to your mistress who will take you under her wing.
Emma enters the small room, looks around it, a little overwhelmed. She has never slept in a room of her own before. She has nothing to put in the cupboard except the clothes on her back and her hairbrush. Emma soon comes into the kitchen where Agnes Miller has been informed of her new help. Agnes is pleased to have an extra pair of hands.
William: Emma, this is Agnes your mistress. You will obey her implicitly. She is hard but fair.
Agnes nods approvingly at Emma. Good strong arms on this one. You'll do nicely.
Emma bobs a quick curtsey: Thank you. I'll work hard ma'am.
Time passes and Emma settles in nicely. Agnes is a bit hard on her at times William feels but as it's not excessive, he doesn't interfere. One day he comes into the kitchen and sits on a chair by the wall. Emma is scrubbing bench tops and Agnes is cooking something on the stove. Agnes looks across and sees a sad and lonely man, never fully recovered from the loss of his beloved young wife Alice.
Agnes mutters to Emma: Poor man. Still grieves for his Alice. What he needs is a new wife.
Emma glances quickly at William. He seems so sad sometimes, she thinks with empathy
William: What are you two muttering about?
Agnes laughs: Oh, just women's talk. If I may be impertinent, you need a wife m'lord.
William: Really? Well Lord Brayshaw who owns the Elmwood Estate has invited me to dinner tomorrow night. I know what he's up to. He has a daughter, Beatrice who's not yet found a suitor and he wants me to take her off his hands. I'm not silly. She is pretty but with a meddlesome character and is spoiled rotten.
Agnes: Well...Beatrice is a lovely woman and she would be able to provide you with an heir.
William: Yes, yes, I'm well aware of that. Anyway, I won't be requiring dinner that night. You two, along with Alfred (the gardener) and David (in the stables), can eat when you want. I hope Alfred and David are keeping their hands to themselves Emma.
Emma: Oh yes m’lord. They are very respectful.
Agnes: Yes, they are good men. In my case more the pity. She laughs.
William: It's time you found someone, Agnes. No fine men in the village caught your eye? You're not getting any younger.
Agnes: Oh, there are a couple of nice widowers, but they're too slow to ask me out.
William: You probably scare them off. He winks and heads back to the living room. He calls for tea and Emma brings some in.
Emma: Here you are m’lord. She places the tray down on the table.
William: Thank you Emma. You've been here two years now. How is your family?
Emma: They are well m’lord. They often ask after you.
William: It's good you keep in touch. Are they coping financially?
Emma: Not really m’lord. Father broke his leg and can't work as hard as he used to.
William: I didn't know about this. Was this recently?
Emma: About three months ago m’lord.
William: You should have told me. I'll visit them and I'd like you to accompany me Emma. I'll tell Agnes.
Emma: Oh thank you m’lord!
David gets the horse and carriage ready and will drive William and Emma to Emma's family home. William gets Agnes to get together some basic provisions to help the family out. Emma has never ridden in a carriage before and is a little overwhelmed. She dresses up nicely in something she bought from her modest income William pays her. She walks out to the carriage, excited, nervous and self conscious.
William: You look lovely Emma
Emma blushing: Thank you m’lord.
They arrive unannounced at a small house and farmlet just out of town. Thomas comes out of the house with a walking stick: M’lord! What a surprise! Emma! How nice to see you.
Emma: Father! She runs up and hugs him.
William: I just heard about your accident. No doubt your sons are growing and helping financially. Still, I wanted to give you a few provisions to help out.
David carries a bag of flour in and then returns for some meat and treats for the children.
Thomas: M’lord, this is so kind. Thank you.
Thomas's wife Matilda: Come in m’lord. Would you like tea?
William: Thank you but I'm going out tonight so cannot stay long. I just wanted to help you through this trying time.
William and Emma head back to the manor. William dresses in his finest and gets ready to visit the Elmwood Estate. Emma is tidying up the lounge when William happens to walk in. Emma looks at him and cannot hide her favourable impression.
William: Do I look suitably dressed to impress Beatrice?
Emma: Oh yes m’lord. You look very handsome.
William: Thank you. Not as handsome as you looked when you dressed up today.
Emma blushing: M’lord is too kind.
He gets back to the manor, takes off his refiner and sits in the lounge alone, nursing a strong drink and staring at the flickering flames in the fireplace.
Emma, unaware that he’s home slips into the lounge to stoke the fire before it dies out.
Emma gasps: Oh m’lord! You're home! How was your evening?
William: It went as expected. Full of politeness and tactful hints.
Emma nods understandingly: And...did you get on with Lady Beatrice?
William: There are good reasons for us to marry.
Emma: Oh I...I suppose that's true. She stokes the fire with unnecessary vigor.
William: Emma, I have a dilemma. There is someone else I'm falling for but she isn't of the right social status.
Emma freezes, cheeks flushing: Oh? Who...who is this woman?
William: Do you need to ask? William walks over to Emma and gently touches her chin, lifting her face to meet his gaze. You've grown into such a remarkable woman.
Emma eyes wide: Me? But...but I'm just..
William: Ideal. I know. The problem is I could never marry you.
Emma looks down at her hands: Only...only that I wish things were different.
William: I hate this system that denies people what they want and instead they have to take what is socially acceptable. I want us to be together as husband and wife but.. .I would be shunned by other lords and nobles. It could end up being the ruin of me.
Emma: I understand, her voice barely a whisper. I won't ask for what can't be.
William: Please stay a little longer Emma. Have a seat, I need to think.
Emma: Of course m’lord. She stands quietly, watching him with worried eyes.
After a few minutes he speaks: Lord Brayshaw has often said that if I ever sold this property, he would want first refusal. I could sell it to him and then we could move away. We could buy a nice home in London or go to one of the colonies and start life elsewhere. Would you consider being my wife in those circumstances?
Emma eyes widening: You...you would give up all this..for me?
William: For us, yes.
Emma tears welling up: Then yes. A thousand times, yes. They hug spontaneously and excitedly.
William: I will go to Lord Brayshaw and see what he will offer for the property. Either way, some one will buy it. It's a profiatable estate. Once that is settled, then we can make arrangements. If we did travel overseas, you won't see your family again. You do realise that Emma. Otherwise we can stay in England.
Emma: I...I would miss them terribly. But...but to be with you...
William: We'll do some research and decide carefully. I have connections in London, so I could find employment there. I would be earning far less but enough to be comfortable. Travelling abroad would have more challenges, but we will see. I won't do anything that will make you unhappy Emma.
Emma: You are too good to me m'lord.
William: In front of the staff, still call me m'lord but in private William from now on.
Emma: Yes...William, testing the unfamiliar name with a shy smile.
William: It went as expected. Full of politeness and tactful hints.
Emma nods understandingly: And...did you get on with Lady Beatrice?
William: There are good reasons for us to marry.
Emma: Oh I...I suppose that's true. She stokes the fire with unnecessary vigor.
William: Emma, I have a dilemma. There is someone else I'm falling for but she isn't of the right social status.
Emma freezes, cheeks flushing: Oh? Who...who is this woman?
William: Do you need to ask? William walks over to Emma and gently touches her chin, lifting her face to meet his gaze. You've grown into such a remarkable woman.
Emma eyes wide: Me? But...but I'm just..
William: Ideal. I know. The problem is I could never marry you.
Emma looks down at her hands: Only...only that I wish things were different.
William: I hate this system that denies people what they want and instead they have to take what is socially acceptable. I want us to be together as husband and wife but.. .I would be shunned by other lords and nobles. It could end up being the ruin of me.
Emma: I understand, her voice barely a whisper. I won't ask for what can't be.
William: Please stay a little longer Emma. Have a seat, I need to think.
Emma: Of course m’lord. She stands quietly, watching him with worried eyes.
After a few minutes he speaks: Lord Brayshaw has often said that if I ever sold this property, he would want first refusal. I could sell it to him and then we could move away. We could buy a nice home in London or go to one of the colonies and start life elsewhere. Would you consider being my wife in those circumstances?
Emma eyes widening: You...you would give up all this..for me?
William: For us, yes.
Emma tears welling up: Then yes. A thousand times, yes. They hug spontaneously and excitedly.
William: I will go to Lord Brayshaw and see what he will offer for the property. Either way, some one will buy it. It's a profiatable estate. Once that is settled, then we can make arrangements. If we did travel overseas, you won't see your family again. You do realise that Emma. Otherwise we can stay in England.
Emma: I...I would miss them terribly. But...but to be with you...
William: We'll do some research and decide carefully. I have connections in London, so I could find employment there. I would be earning far less but enough to be comfortable. Travelling abroad would have more challenges, but we will see. I won't do anything that will make you unhappy Emma.
Emma: You are too good to me m'lord.
William: In front of the staff, still call me m'lord but in private William from now on.
Emma: Yes...William, testing the unfamiliar name with a shy smile.

Great read ,no adds,unquie refreshing story ,we slowly get through the selection.
ReplyDeleteThank you anon.
ReplyDelete