Bella looks around the hotel suite: Rick, tell me you saw my blue suitcase when we unloaded the taxi, the one with all my clothes? I swear I had it at the airport!
Rick: I didn't see it. Did you not take it off the carousel at the airport?
Bella: Oh no, I was so busy texting my mom about our flight that I, wait no, I definitely had it in the taxi! She jumps up. The driver helped load it with your stuff!
Rick: Then did we leave it at the hotel reception?
Bella picks up the hotel phone with urgency: Hello. This is Room 221. Have you seen a blue suitcase, medium size, left at reception by accident?
Maître d': No madam.
Bella lets out a frustrated moan: Rick, we need to retrace our steps.
Rick: Apart from personal effects, was there anything else in it?
Bella cheeks flush: Just... clothes - avoiding eye contact - nothing important.
Rick: Well, let's start with the taxi company.
Bella: It was ABC Cabs. Here's the number on my phone....Hello, one of your drivers dropped us off at the Royal Hotel about an hour ago from LAX. We seem to be missing a blue suitcase.. We are in Room 221.
Rick: Apart from personal effects, was there anything else in it?
Bella cheeks flush: Just... clothes - avoiding eye contact - nothing important.
Rick: Well, let's start with the taxi company.
Bella: It was ABC Cabs. Here's the number on my phone....Hello, one of your drivers dropped us off at the Royal Hotel about an hour ago from LAX. We seem to be missing a blue suitcase.. We are in Room 221.
Bella: The lady said she would try to find out, but it may take a little time. Darn.
Rick: Well, at least nothing too valuable was in it. Thankfully, I put my vicuña wool sweater and your quality Inca jewelry in my bag.
Bella: We need to get that suitcase!
Rick: Calm down. The taxi company will get back to us soon. You seem rather stressed. We've been going out for a month now and this was our first time away together. Let's not spoil it over a missing suitcase.
Bella looks worried and as Rick doesn't know her well. He decides she's a bit more excitable over things than he thought she would be: Let's go to the restaurant downstairs. You have your phone and I will pop out to reception when the suitcase is returned.
Bella agrees but seems to have a worried look that exceeds the problem. They use the buffet facility and sit with their meals. Bella keeps looking anxiously at her phone, willing it to ring. Rick puts his hand on hers.
Rick: Bella, this is a side I've never seen of you before. Relax. You're making me nervous just looking at you.
Bella forces a smile: You're right, I'm being silly. It's just...her phone buzzes violently on the table. Hello? He doesn't have it? Thank you.
Rick: Perhaps we should check with the airport.
Bella: I'm sure it was in the taxi.
Rick rings the airport but no luck. I guess we'll have to write it off.
Bella: Why didn't you take more care? You could see I was busy texting my mom!
Rick: You're right, I should have been more careful but did you really need to be texting at taxi when we were getting in?
Bella pauses: No. I'm sorry Rick, I shouldn't have snapped at you.
Rick: Apology accepted. He looks at her with curiosity. I'm still wondering why you're reacting so badly to a lost suitcase of clothes.
Bella looks uncomfortable: I guess I'm more tired than I thought.
They get home and unpack. Bella simply isn't herself with the weight of the world on her shoulders. Rick avoids saying anything and at night in bed, all he sees is her back so he doesn't suggest anything. Rick appreciates how he has met a well off woman with her own home with no mortgage. Her inheritance from a well loved uncle apparently covered that.
The next night they are quietly watching a movie in the lounge when there is a knock on the door. Bella flinches.
Rick: It's alright, I'll get it. Bella goes to the window and looks out tentatively while Rick opens it. Two mean looking characters with sunglasses and tattoos are standing there menacingly: Can I help you.
Man 1 pauses, looks Rick up and down, evaluating him: We're looking for a Bella. Rick realises it isn't a case of the wrong address as he assumed, as he knows Bella's name.
Rick: Why?
Man 2: She has something of ours.
Rick: There must be a misunderstanding.
Man 1: There's no misunderstanding.
Rick: Honey, these men say you have something of theirs.
Bella comes to the door, looking terrified.
Rick: Can you clear this misunderstanding up? Bella looks down.
Man 2: You said you lost it. That's not the right answer, Bella.
Rick: Bella? The suitcase?
Bella nods slowly.
Man 1: The suitcase has some important contents, contents that belong to us. We want them.
Rick: Bella, what the hell is going on?
Bella to Rick quietly: I was carrying something. Then turns to the men. I don't know where it is, I swear!
Man 2: We don't care. You get it back or else...Understood?
Rick: Alright, that's enough of that.
Man 1 ignores Rick: You've got 24 hours Bella.
Bella: But I don't know where it is! I lost it! I told you!
Man 2: Then you had better find it. They walk off into the night.
Rick closes the door slowly, turning to Bella with a mixture of concern and confusion: Okay...you're going to tell me everything. Now.
Bella collapses onto the couch, hands trembling: It's...not what you think. Well, maybe it is. She buries her face in her hands.
Rick sits beside her, keeping his voice steady despite the adrenaline coursing through his veins. He extends his hand, putting it on Bella's shoulder gentley and reassuringly: Start from the beginning.
Rick: Well, at least nothing too valuable was in it. Thankfully, I put my vicuña wool sweater and your quality Inca jewelry in my bag.
Bella: We need to get that suitcase!
Rick: Calm down. The taxi company will get back to us soon. You seem rather stressed. We've been going out for a month now and this was our first time away together. Let's not spoil it over a missing suitcase.
Bella looks worried and as Rick doesn't know her well. He decides she's a bit more excitable over things than he thought she would be: Let's go to the restaurant downstairs. You have your phone and I will pop out to reception when the suitcase is returned.
Bella agrees but seems to have a worried look that exceeds the problem. They use the buffet facility and sit with their meals. Bella keeps looking anxiously at her phone, willing it to ring. Rick puts his hand on hers.
Rick: Bella, this is a side I've never seen of you before. Relax. You're making me nervous just looking at you.
Bella forces a smile: You're right, I'm being silly. It's just...her phone buzzes violently on the table. Hello? He doesn't have it? Thank you.
Rick: Perhaps we should check with the airport.
Bella: I'm sure it was in the taxi.
Rick rings the airport but no luck. I guess we'll have to write it off.
Bella: Why didn't you take more care? You could see I was busy texting my mom!
Rick: You're right, I should have been more careful but did you really need to be texting at taxi when we were getting in?
Bella pauses: No. I'm sorry Rick, I shouldn't have snapped at you.
Rick: Apology accepted. He looks at her with curiosity. I'm still wondering why you're reacting so badly to a lost suitcase of clothes.
Bella looks uncomfortable: I guess I'm more tired than I thought.
They get home and unpack. Bella simply isn't herself with the weight of the world on her shoulders. Rick avoids saying anything and at night in bed, all he sees is her back so he doesn't suggest anything. Rick appreciates how he has met a well off woman with her own home with no mortgage. Her inheritance from a well loved uncle apparently covered that.
The next night they are quietly watching a movie in the lounge when there is a knock on the door. Bella flinches.
Rick: It's alright, I'll get it. Bella goes to the window and looks out tentatively while Rick opens it. Two mean looking characters with sunglasses and tattoos are standing there menacingly: Can I help you.
Man 1 pauses, looks Rick up and down, evaluating him: We're looking for a Bella. Rick realises it isn't a case of the wrong address as he assumed, as he knows Bella's name.
Rick: Why?
Man 2: She has something of ours.
Rick: There must be a misunderstanding.
Man 1: There's no misunderstanding.
Rick: Honey, these men say you have something of theirs.
Bella comes to the door, looking terrified.
Rick: Can you clear this misunderstanding up? Bella looks down.
Man 2: You said you lost it. That's not the right answer, Bella.
Rick: Bella? The suitcase?
Bella nods slowly.
Man 1: The suitcase has some important contents, contents that belong to us. We want them.
Rick: Bella, what the hell is going on?
Bella to Rick quietly: I was carrying something. Then turns to the men. I don't know where it is, I swear!
Man 2: We don't care. You get it back or else...Understood?
Rick: Alright, that's enough of that.
Man 1 ignores Rick: You've got 24 hours Bella.
Bella: But I don't know where it is! I lost it! I told you!
Man 2: Then you had better find it. They walk off into the night.
Rick closes the door slowly, turning to Bella with a mixture of concern and confusion: Okay...you're going to tell me everything. Now.
Bella collapses onto the couch, hands trembling: It's...not what you think. Well, maybe it is. She buries her face in her hands.
Rick sits beside her, keeping his voice steady despite the adrenaline coursing through his veins. He extends his hand, putting it on Bella's shoulder gentley and reassuringly: Start from the beginning.
Bella: Don't be angry Rick. The house, it wasn't paid for from a relative's will. I go to visit a relative in Peru and I get a consignment. My trips have bought all of this.
Risk looks stunned: A drug mule! How did you get involved in this?
Bella: It's not that bad Rick. She looks at him pleadingly. I just carry things in my suitcase, prescription drugs at a much lower price than in the US. I never touch anything! It's hard to detect, the way they are packaged, so no real risk of getting caught.
Rick runs a hand through his hair: Bella...do you have any idea what you've got yourself into? These aren't pharmacists knocking on our door!
Bella: I know, okay? I needed the money after college. My relative in Peru justified frequent trips. It was only supposed to be until I was debt free, but the temptation was too great and I continued. I was going to give it up, I swear.
Rick: I don't know that giving it up is that easy. Illicit drug rings rarely let couriers simply walk away. It could be viewed as a security risk, leading to threats. By actively participating, you are trafficking restricted medications, meaning the syndicate can use threats of turning you over to law enforcement as leverage to keep you in their grip.
Bella: You think they'll kill me?
Rick: I don't know, but I doubt that. More likely to tip off the police. But we need to get that suitcase back, and then we need to get you out of this mess.
Bella bursting into tears: I'm so sorry Rick.
Rick: It's okay. I'm here for you. Hugs her. We'll figure this out together.
Bella: I don't deserve you.
Rick: Enough of that. First things first. Where could that suitcase be?
Risk looks stunned: A drug mule! How did you get involved in this?
Bella: It's not that bad Rick. She looks at him pleadingly. I just carry things in my suitcase, prescription drugs at a much lower price than in the US. I never touch anything! It's hard to detect, the way they are packaged, so no real risk of getting caught.
Rick runs a hand through his hair: Bella...do you have any idea what you've got yourself into? These aren't pharmacists knocking on our door!
Bella: I know, okay? I needed the money after college. My relative in Peru justified frequent trips. It was only supposed to be until I was debt free, but the temptation was too great and I continued. I was going to give it up, I swear.
Rick: I don't know that giving it up is that easy. Illicit drug rings rarely let couriers simply walk away. It could be viewed as a security risk, leading to threats. By actively participating, you are trafficking restricted medications, meaning the syndicate can use threats of turning you over to law enforcement as leverage to keep you in their grip.
Bella: You think they'll kill me?
Rick: I don't know, but I doubt that. More likely to tip off the police. But we need to get that suitcase back, and then we need to get you out of this mess.
Bella bursting into tears: I'm so sorry Rick.
Rick: It's okay. I'm here for you. Hugs her. We'll figure this out together.
Bella: I don't deserve you.
Rick: Enough of that. First things first. Where could that suitcase be?
Bella's phone rings: Hello...really? We are in Santa Barbara. I'll come down tomorrow to pick it up from your office. She hangs up. The suitcase has been located. It was in a different cab than they thought.
Rick: So what will you do with the drugs?
Bella: Drop them off to the location they specified.
Rick: What if they want you to do this in future? I can see this becoming an ongoing saga. Rick pauses, desperately thinking what to do.
Rick: So what will you do with the drugs?
Bella: Drop them off to the location they specified.
Rick: What if they want you to do this in future? I can see this becoming an ongoing saga. Rick pauses, desperately thinking what to do.
Rick: If the gang you have been working for feels in anyway threatened by you, they will act against you and by extension me, as I am now involved. The only way out is going to the authorities. Full cooperation in putting these criminals away and your voluntarily handing yourself in will count in your favour. The type of drugs you carried, how long you were doing it, the reasons for doing it will all be considered. Have you ever been threatened if you said you'd quit?
Bella: No, I never have.
Rick: That could have worked in your favour. Still, are you prepared to be incarcerated and possibly heavily fined for what you've been doing?
Bella looks horrified: I...I don't know Rick.
Rick: I'll stand by you no matter what. But Bella, this isn't something we can fix ourselves. We need help. We need to take your consignment to the police or tell them everything before we pick it up so as not to be carrying these drugs around the state. We could get pulled over and would the police believe we were about to turn them in?
Bella nods slowly: Okay. Let's do it and go to the police. I can't live like this anymore. She grips his hand tightly. Promise you won't leave me?
Rick squeezing her hand back: I promise.
Rick: That could have worked in your favour. Still, are you prepared to be incarcerated and possibly heavily fined for what you've been doing?
Bella looks horrified: I...I don't know Rick.
Rick: I'll stand by you no matter what. But Bella, this isn't something we can fix ourselves. We need help. We need to take your consignment to the police or tell them everything before we pick it up so as not to be carrying these drugs around the state. We could get pulled over and would the police believe we were about to turn them in?
Bella nods slowly: Okay. Let's do it and go to the police. I can't live like this anymore. She grips his hand tightly. Promise you won't leave me?
Rick squeezing her hand back: I promise.


No comments:
Post a Comment