A small plane is taken off course. It's to kidnap Rhona but Cedric gets caught up in it. Later, it became apparent that Cedric was doing some cleaning on a small, ten seater private plane. He lost track of time and used the toilet before exiting the craft. He felt the plane move, checked his watch and panicked. He was caught with his pants down in more ways than one.
He quickly washed his hands and exited the little room. The plane was already moving toward the runway. The engines roared and it is started to take off the ground. As it gained altitude, Cedric nearly lost his balance. Looking down the aisle, he saw that there was one passenger, her blonde hair just visible over the headrest. He grabbed a seat at the rear of the plane and buckled his seatbelt.
Once the plane levels off, Cedric unbuckles himself and walks up to where the woman is sitting. She jumps as he comes into her view. He sits opposite her.
Rhona: Who the hell are you and why are you on this plane?
Cedric: I was cleaning and..er lost track of time. Can the pilot turn back, I wonder?Rhona: Turn back? I don't think so. How about making yourself useful and get me a drink?
Cedric pauses and then dutifully goes to the galley at the rear and finds some soft drinks. He brings a selection back to Rhona.
Rhona: You're kind of a dimwit, aren't you? But at least you know how to follow orders. I'm Rhona, by the way.
Cedric: I'm Cedric. I was hired to make sure the plane was spotless for your trip. I didn't mean to intrude, I just... lost track of the time.
Just then the door of the cockpit opens and a masked man with a gun appears. His eyes lose their smirk when he sees Cedric sitting in the seat opposite Rhona.
Gunman: What are you doing here?
Cedric: I'm the cleaner and missed my exit time.
Gunman: Idiot.
Rhona: What the hell is going on? Why do you have a gun?
Gunman: Quiet, princess. You're coming with us. And as for the cleaner... well, we can't have a witness. The gunman waves the gun barrel at Cedric to move to the back of the plane.
Cedric: I'm not going anywhere.
Gunman: Very well. He points the gun at Cedric's head.
Rhona's face pales, her spoiled confidence suddenly replaced by a raw, visceral fear. She had spent her life demanding things and getting them, but she now feels helpless: Wait! He's just a worker at the airport! What are you doing, threatening to kill someone? This is my private charter. You have no business being here.
Gunman: Shut up Rhona. He pauses. Very well. We will deal with the cleaner later. Understand that from now on you do as you're told, the both of you. Is that clear?
Rhona and Cedric nod. He returns to the cockpit but leaves the door open and keeps and eye on the hostages.
Cedric: You seem to be part of a kidnapping. Any reason why?
Rhona: I come from a very wealthy family, the Hollis'. It may involve a ransom demand.
Cedric: I've heard that name. Mining and manufacturing. But why don't you have personal security?
Rhona: I get security when I stay at our country estate that we have just left behind. They saw me off at the airport, but they never take the flight. It's deemed a no risk trip. Security will be waiting at the airport I'm supposed to be going to. I guess these people saw a window of opportunity and hijacked the plane. I should have known when I didn't recognise the pilot, but it's not always the same one anyway.
Cedric: It would have been too late to do anything by that time. The real pilot will be probably tied up in the airport toilet. Cedric reflects. I'm now in a hostage scenario too.
The plane starts to descend and the captives buckle up. The gunman comes out of the cockpit and blindfolds them both. The plane lands and taxis to a halt. The plane door opens, a woman enters and guides them to a waiting car. They both get in and they drive off. The trip seems like an eternity.
Rhona: I come from a very wealthy family, the Hollis'. It may involve a ransom demand.
Cedric: I've heard that name. Mining and manufacturing. But why don't you have personal security?
Rhona: I get security when I stay at our country estate that we have just left behind. They saw me off at the airport, but they never take the flight. It's deemed a no risk trip. Security will be waiting at the airport I'm supposed to be going to. I guess these people saw a window of opportunity and hijacked the plane. I should have known when I didn't recognise the pilot, but it's not always the same one anyway.
Cedric: It would have been too late to do anything by that time. The real pilot will be probably tied up in the airport toilet. Cedric reflects. I'm now in a hostage scenario too.
The plane starts to descend and the captives buckle up. The gunman comes out of the cockpit and blindfolds them both. The plane lands and taxis to a halt. The plane door opens, a woman enters and guides them to a waiting car. They both get in and they drive off. The trip seems like an eternity.
They arrive at a secret location. Once inside, the blindfolds are removed. The room has the curtains pulled and one dim light, so it is quite dark and their eyes adjust quickly. There are two flimsy dining room chairs and a cheap coffee table.
A woman with her face covered stands in front of them, a gunman to her side: You may have guessed why you're here. Rhona, your parents will be informed of your safety and what we require of them to secure your release. As for you, Mr Cleaner, we don't want murder to be part of our operation, so behave and you will also be released, subject to the cooperation of the Hollis family.
The woman continues: There is a kitchen with a jug, tea, coffee and some basic food items, but no cutlery. A toilet and shower are behind that door. The only bedroom is next to that, on the right. We weren't expecting two people. Your problem now. Try to escape and the consequences will be..shall we say... decisive and swift.
The woman and a gunman leave the cottage and Cedric notes that a car departs. The two captives look around without moving.
A woman with her face covered stands in front of them, a gunman to her side: You may have guessed why you're here. Rhona, your parents will be informed of your safety and what we require of them to secure your release. As for you, Mr Cleaner, we don't want murder to be part of our operation, so behave and you will also be released, subject to the cooperation of the Hollis family.
The woman continues: There is a kitchen with a jug, tea, coffee and some basic food items, but no cutlery. A toilet and shower are behind that door. The only bedroom is next to that, on the right. We weren't expecting two people. Your problem now. Try to escape and the consequences will be..shall we say... decisive and swift.
The woman and a gunman leave the cottage and Cedric notes that a car departs. The two captives look around without moving.
Rhona: Well Cedric, tardiness has caught up with you. Still, it gives me some company. I could do with a hot drink...
Chop, chop. Coffee, milk, no sugar, thanks.
Cedric makes a drink for each of them and brings it back: Well, a fine pickle you've got us into Rhona.
Rhona: Please! I'm the one being kidnapped. You're just the lucky guy who got to see it. Now, tell me, Cedric. Since you're so calm, do you have any ideas on how to get us out of here?
Rhona: Please! I'm the one being kidnapped. You're just the lucky guy who got to see it. Now, tell me, Cedric. Since you're so calm, do you have any ideas on how to get us out of here?
Cedric: Lucky? I should be more careful about the company I keep. As for our getting out of here, I'd say there is someone armed outside and that we are at a remote location miles from anywhere. Cedric looks at his watch: It's later than I thought. Lunch time! Shall we see what's on the menu?
They go into the pokey kitchen. There is a small fridge and a microwave oven. There are some packaged meals in the fridge. Cedric turns to Rhona: Lasagna or Shepherd's Pie?
Rhona: Lasagna thanks. Everything about this is just so... basic.
Rhona: Lasagna thanks. Everything about this is just so... basic.
Cedric puts the lasagna in the microwave.
Rhona: When will they come back to check on us?
Cedric: Soon, I imagine. They'll want to make sure we are behaving and coping well enough. They don't want the merchandise spoiled.
Rhona: I'm not merchandise! I'm a Hollis!
Cedric: I'm sure they're very impressed by your pedigree. Now, eat your lasagna. We need our strength if we're going to find a way out of here.
Rhona: You're remarkably relaxed for someone whose life is currently in the hands of people who see you as collateral of no real value.
Cedric: Soon, I imagine. They'll want to make sure we are behaving and coping well enough. They don't want the merchandise spoiled.
Rhona: I'm not merchandise! I'm a Hollis!
Cedric: I'm sure they're very impressed by your pedigree. Now, eat your lasagna. We need our strength if we're going to find a way out of here.
Rhona: You're remarkably relaxed for someone whose life is currently in the hands of people who see you as collateral of no real value.
They eat in silence for a while. Then they hear the door open.
Gunman: Time for the first update. Rhona, stand up and face the camera. He has a tablet in his hand. I'll film it, then we'll send it to your parents later. So say something.
Rhona: Hi Daddy! They're treating me like a common criminal! Help us and get me out of here!
The gunman ends the video recording. He turns to Cedric.
Gunman: I'm starting to think you're not as dim as you look.
Cedric: Well, if I were smarter, I wouldn't be here.
The gunman smiles and leaves.
Gunman: Time for the first update. Rhona, stand up and face the camera. He has a tablet in his hand. I'll film it, then we'll send it to your parents later. So say something.
Rhona: Hi Daddy! They're treating me like a common criminal! Help us and get me out of here!
The gunman ends the video recording. He turns to Cedric.
Gunman: I'm starting to think you're not as dim as you look.
Cedric: Well, if I were smarter, I wouldn't be here.
The gunman smiles and leaves.
Cedric: I think my parents would have appreciated a video call.
Rhona: They are after a ransom, not running a social service.
Cedric: Now listen up. We have only seen two people here so far. I heard a car depart when the woman in charge left. The gunman may be on his own or perhaps there is one more, outside. I don't think more than two. The next time the gunman comes in, pretend you are feeling sick and leave the rest to me.
Rhona: Leave it to you? You're a cleaner, Cedric! What's your plan, polish him into submission?
Cedric: Just trust me, Rhona. For once, try to follow someone else's lead.
Rhona: Fine. But if you get us killed, I'll be very cross.
Rhona: They are after a ransom, not running a social service.
Cedric: Now listen up. We have only seen two people here so far. I heard a car depart when the woman in charge left. The gunman may be on his own or perhaps there is one more, outside. I don't think more than two. The next time the gunman comes in, pretend you are feeling sick and leave the rest to me.
Rhona: Leave it to you? You're a cleaner, Cedric! What's your plan, polish him into submission?
Cedric: Just trust me, Rhona. For once, try to follow someone else's lead.
Rhona: Fine. But if you get us killed, I'll be very cross.
The gunman suddenly comes back in.
Gunman: Time for your evening check.
Rhona: Oh... my stomach. I feel quite faint.
She collapses to the floor. The gunman panics. He moves toward her and Cedric launches himself into the gunman. Cedric knocks him to the floor and with lightening speed, disarms him and with a swift hit to back of the head with the gun, puts the gunman to sleep.
Rhona: I can't believe we're actually doing this! And you Cedric, you're some cleaner.
Gunman: Time for your evening check.
Rhona: Oh... my stomach. I feel quite faint.
She collapses to the floor. The gunman panics. He moves toward her and Cedric launches himself into the gunman. Cedric knocks him to the floor and with lightening speed, disarms him and with a swift hit to back of the head with the gun, puts the gunman to sleep.
Rhona: I can't believe we're actually doing this! And you Cedric, you're some cleaner.
Cedric picks up the gun and motions Rhona to be quiet, his index finger pressed against his lips. He carefully opens the door. A man is nearby, leaning up against a fence and looking across a paddock. Cedric quickly gives him the same treatment.
The food arrives, their time together is warm and relaxed. Then Cedric excuses himself and leaves their mansion. He drives away, thinking, yes, it's time I asked my girlfriend for her hand. I've been too busy to realise what's really important in life. Sometimes we let life get in the way of living.
There is a shed nearby and Cedric kicks the door open. He finds some rope and duct tape. The two gunmen are soon hog tied and lying on the lounge floor.
Rhona: Now what?
Cedric: I got a cellphone from one of the gunmen, but I can't get a signal. Now, we wait for the boss lady to return. The boys will need feeding.
They take a vantage point that is hidden, and they wait. Sure enough, within a few minutes, a car can be heard approaching. The car stops outside the cottage, the boss woman gets out of the car with pizza boxes and a soft drink bottle. She stops, wondering where the guards are. Cedric produces a gun he's commandeered from a gunman.
Cedric: Don't move. She freezes. He ties her up as well, and they take the car. He turns to Rhona. Keep checking the phone for coverage while we drive. After some miles, they come to an intersection. I don't know which way to go.
Rhona: Oh, I just noticed. We have cell phone coverage.
Cedric: Duh. He takes the phone and makes an emergency call. He notifies the authorities and then all they can do is wait.
Rhona looks hurt: Don't duh me. After a pause. You're some cleaner! I thought you were more like James Bond.
Cedric: I am actually part of the Hollis security team. I was watching to see if everything was kosher at the airport you were departing from. Your family had a tip off that you might be in danger but they didn't know when or where you might be abducted.
Rhona: What? They didn't tell me.
Cedric: I thought they should have taken the tip off more seriously, but they usually come to nothing. This one did come to something, unfortunately. Anyway, I came up on the chartered flight and was observing the airport dressed as a cleaner to avoid suspicion. I sensed something was wrong. I was supposed to warn the Hollis' security men at the airport, as they were armed and I wasn't. However, I only had time to get on the plane and hide in the toilet.
Rhona: So you had to think quickly.
Cedric: Yes. I had to act like a cleaner who was slow and inoffensive. It fooled everyone, although I got worried when one of the gunmen said, "I'm starting to think you're not as dim as you look." I decided to act before they clocked me.
Rhona: Now what?
Cedric: I got a cellphone from one of the gunmen, but I can't get a signal. Now, we wait for the boss lady to return. The boys will need feeding.
They take a vantage point that is hidden, and they wait. Sure enough, within a few minutes, a car can be heard approaching. The car stops outside the cottage, the boss woman gets out of the car with pizza boxes and a soft drink bottle. She stops, wondering where the guards are. Cedric produces a gun he's commandeered from a gunman.
Cedric: Don't move. She freezes. He ties her up as well, and they take the car. He turns to Rhona. Keep checking the phone for coverage while we drive. After some miles, they come to an intersection. I don't know which way to go.
Rhona: Oh, I just noticed. We have cell phone coverage.
Cedric: Duh. He takes the phone and makes an emergency call. He notifies the authorities and then all they can do is wait.
Rhona looks hurt: Don't duh me. After a pause. You're some cleaner! I thought you were more like James Bond.
Cedric: I am actually part of the Hollis security team. I was watching to see if everything was kosher at the airport you were departing from. Your family had a tip off that you might be in danger but they didn't know when or where you might be abducted.
Rhona: What? They didn't tell me.
Cedric: I thought they should have taken the tip off more seriously, but they usually come to nothing. This one did come to something, unfortunately. Anyway, I came up on the chartered flight and was observing the airport dressed as a cleaner to avoid suspicion. I sensed something was wrong. I was supposed to warn the Hollis' security men at the airport, as they were armed and I wasn't. However, I only had time to get on the plane and hide in the toilet.
Rhona: So you had to think quickly.
Cedric: Yes. I had to act like a cleaner who was slow and inoffensive. It fooled everyone, although I got worried when one of the gunmen said, "I'm starting to think you're not as dim as you look." I decided to act before they clocked me.
Rhona's expression shifts from relief to disbelief. She crosses her arms over her chest, her eyes narrowing as she processes the fact that through her entire ordeal, she was with a highly trained security man, one she had spent the last few hours treating like a footman: You pretended to be some bumbling idiot while my life was at stake? Why didn't you tell me? said with a flicker of genuine admiration for Cedric's acting skills and cool head.
Cedric: I thought you'd be more natural if you didn't know.
The police arrive and are directed to the hideaway. Then it's back to civilisation, and Rhona is reunited with her parents. Cedric isn't there for the reunion, but later meets up with the family at their mansion. There are hugs all round.
Mr Hollis takes Cedric aside: Rhona has filled us in about your heroics.
Cedric: That's my job, Mr Hollis.
Mr Hollis: Well, you possibly saved my daughter's life and brought this horrible affair to a speedy end. Be assured a sizable bonus is coming your way. Cedric nods but also feels embarrassed at the praise.
Cedric: I thought you'd be more natural if you didn't know.
The police arrive and are directed to the hideaway. Then it's back to civilisation, and Rhona is reunited with her parents. Cedric isn't there for the reunion, but later meets up with the family at their mansion. There are hugs all round.
Mr Hollis takes Cedric aside: Rhona has filled us in about your heroics.
Cedric: That's my job, Mr Hollis.
Mr Hollis: Well, you possibly saved my daughter's life and brought this horrible affair to a speedy end. Be assured a sizable bonus is coming your way. Cedric nods but also feels embarrassed at the praise.
They go back to Mrs Hollis and Rhona. The champagne bottle pops and the fluted glasses make a welcome appearance. While the Hollis seniors get some nibbles, Cedric and Rhona are alone.
Rhona: Thanks again Cedric. If you were a bit younger, more my age..she smiles with a hint of natural blusher on her cheeks.
Cedric: A you noted, I'm a bit old for you. And besides, I do have a girlfriend, one who thinks it's time we tied the knot. The food arrives, their time together is warm and relaxed. Then Cedric excuses himself and leaves their mansion. He drives away, thinking, yes, it's time I asked my girlfriend for her hand. I've been too busy to realise what's really important in life. Sometimes we let life get in the way of living.



No comments:
Post a Comment