Megan and Dave are newlyweds and are passing through London. They have one free day and decide to take in some of the sights. They get their skates on and see as much as the can.
They start out with the famous Houses of Parliament. A passerby agrees to snap them.Megan: The official name is the Palace of Westminster.
Dave: A useful bit of pub quiz night trivia to remember. It houses the House of Commons and the House of Lords, so I did some research too Meg.
Megan: So what's the name of the tower next door?
Dave: Big Ben.
Megan: No, that's the name of the bell, and by extension, the clock too. The tower is the Elizabeth Tower.
Dave: Clever clogs.
Dave: It is a cantilevered observation wheel. Do you know what that means?
Megan: Explain, s'il vous plaƮt.
Dave: It means it is supported by an A-frame on one side only rather than balanced in the middle.
Megan: Wow, that is clever. What I do know it's about 130 metres tall.
Dave: There are 32 pods, representing the 32 boroughs of London.
Megan: But no number 13 for good luck, so the numbering starts at 1 and ends at 33.
A kind fellow traveller takes their picture while letting them know that it was built to celebrate the year 2000 and was only meant to remain for five years, but its popularity means it is now a permanent landmark.
Dave: Thanks for the info, and taking our picture.Megan: Onward and downward.
Megan: Wow, that is clever. What I do know it's about 130 metres tall.
Dave: There are 32 pods, representing the 32 boroughs of London.
Megan: But no number 13 for good luck, so the numbering starts at 1 and ends at 33.
A kind fellow traveller takes their picture while letting them know that it was built to celebrate the year 2000 and was only meant to remain for five years, but its popularity means it is now a permanent landmark.
Dave: Thanks for the info, and taking our picture.Megan: Onward and downward.
They move swiftly to Westminster Abbey.
Megan: About 40 monarchs have been crowned here, which started some time back with William the Conqueror.
Dave: Before our time. Added to that, 16 royal weddings, including Prince William and Catherine Middleton in around 2011.
Megan: Ironically, its not a Cathedral, but a Royal Peculiar.
Dave smiles: What does that mean, oh wise one?
Megan: I'll ignore that sarcastic remark. It means it answers directly to the ruling Sovereign, not to a bishop or archbishop.
Megan: About 40 monarchs have been crowned here, which started some time back with William the Conqueror.
Dave: Before our time. Added to that, 16 royal weddings, including Prince William and Catherine Middleton in around 2011.
Megan: Ironically, its not a Cathedral, but a Royal Peculiar.
Dave smiles: What does that mean, oh wise one?
Megan: I'll ignore that sarcastic remark. It means it answers directly to the ruling Sovereign, not to a bishop or archbishop.
Dave: I do know that many poets and writers, such as Charles Dickens, Geoffrey Chaucer and Rudyard Kipling are buried here. Isaac Newton is buried inside the church.
Megan: Most fitting.
Dave: I did read that a soldier from World War I rests here in soil brought from France, and his grave is the only one in the abbey that visitors are never allowed to walk on.
Megan: I feel a sadness for all those who died fighting wars, all of which could have been avoided. I do believe that one day they will walk this earth again, starting during the Mellennial reign.
Dave: They deserve no less.
Buckingham Palace is the next stop.
Dave: Apparently built around 1700 for the Duke of Buckingham and Normanby as a large townhouse.
Megan: Queen Victoria was the first monarch to officially live here.
Dave: My memories of it are the royal balcony appearances.
Dave: It honors Admiral Horatio Nelson’s victory against the French and Spanish fleets.
Megan: Nelson's column is some monument.
Dave: I wonder what the four large bronze lions by it represent?
Megan: I read they are guardians of the monument and represent noble qualities.
Dave: Norway sends a giant Christmas tree to the square every year as thanks for World War II help.
Megan: A nice touch. She looks around. I expected more pigeons.
Dave: A ban on feeding them is the reason. I'm sure Admiral Nelson appreciates that.
Megan: Do you think readers of our travelogue will realise that we just got all this information through AI searches?
Dave: No, they will just think we're incredibly knowledgeable.
Megan: Really? Go on then, surprise me!
They go to a pub and have a pint of ale.
Dave: I think we've earned it.
Megan: For sure. That was quite a day. It's a pity we didn't have more time to see some of the museums and other famous tourist sites, like the Tower of London.
Dave: Absolutely. Perhaps we can return one day and spend some more time here. In the meantime, bottoms up.
Megan: How about some fish and chips? A real English dish.
Dave: True. While battered fish and fries were created elsewhere, they were combined and popularized as a unified meal in 19th century England.
Dave: Absolutely. Perhaps we can return one day and spend some more time here. In the meantime, bottoms up.
Megan: How about some fish and chips? A real English dish.
Dave: True. While battered fish and fries were created elsewhere, they were combined and popularized as a unified meal in 19th century England.
Megan: Never mind the history lesson, I'm starved. I know mushy peas are from the North of England, but maybe they do them here too.
Dave: Fish and chips coming up, Meg. And mushy peas, if possible. Two more pints of ale as well, of course.



No comments:
Post a Comment