Saturday, 19 September 2026

The Incriminating Text

Toby and Ivy Matthews have been married for thirty years. Their children have flown the nest and the marriage is solid, if a tad perfunctory.

Toby is having a shower before going to work. He's running late and in his haste, he leaves his phone on the kitchen table. He normally keeps the phone close to him. It makes a text received noise and Ivy walks over to it out of curiosity and sees the name Patricia on the screen. See quickly looks at the message.

Patricia: Are you free to meet for lunch at the Bayside Cafe? Usual time noon? Let me know.
Ivy quickly puts the phone down and goes into the kitchen, just as Toby scampers down the stairs.
Toby: Have you seen my cell phone? Oh, there it is on the table. No time for breakfast Ivy as I'm late already. He gives Ivy a peck on the cheek and is off.
Ivy realises he hasn't taken his sandwiches and quickly follows him but his car is disappearing down the road as she steps through the front door.

Ivy: I don't suppose he'll be needing them anyway, she mutters under her breath.

Ivy sits down at the dining table. She knew their marriage was a bit stale, but this? No wonder he has recently been saying he's too tired when she suggests it, she reflects. Ivy then wonders what to do. She decides that she will go to the Bayside Cafe at 11.45am and find a seat that is tucked away in a corner and observe them.

Ivy duly arrives and requests a secluded spot. She sips her cup of tea but can't bring herself to eat the muffin she also ordered, her nerves upsetting her stomach.

She observes a woman coming in, wondering if she is Patricia but not in this instance, as she sits with someone else. Then Toby walks in with his usual bustling manner, quickly sees who he is looking for and takes a seat. Unfortunately, a large plant obscures the lady. Toby orders and he chats in a friendly manner with the visually hidden Patricia. Ivy decides to get up cautiously to get a look. Patricia is a younger woman and nothing too flashy. The sort Toby would go for, Ivy mutters to herself.






















Ivy sits back down. Should she go over to their table and embarrass them? Maybe she should instead wait until this evening and confront Toby alone. He will wonder how she found out and be furious that she read a text on his precious cell phone. Ivy decides to slip out a door near her table and takes the bus home, her heart heavy with the realisation of what Toby is doing.

Toby gets home that evening and is more upbeat than usual. Ivy is standing by the oven, her back to him as she stirs a pot of stew. She can hear him humming a little tune as he hangs up his coat, and it hits her hard. 
Ivy: How was your day, Toby? You didn't take the sandwiches I made for your lunch.
Toby: Oh, no, I didn't, did I? Sorry about that. I grabbed something out.
Ivy is dying to say something but loses the courage to speak up. Instead, she decides to see if she can learn more about this liaison.

A few days later, her break comes when she hears Toby in the study talking to someone. She hides in the passageway and listens intently.
Toby on the phone: Yes, the usual place for lunch. Then we can get it out in the open. No more secretive behaviour. Pause as he listens. I can't wait either. See you then.

Ivy quickly goes into the spare room and hides behind the door as Toby goes into the bedroom to get his cardigan. Ivy quickly goes down the stairs and is innocently working in the kitchen when Toby comes down the stairs. He grabs a piece of toast, says he'll have some lunch out, gives Ivy a peck on the cheek and is gone.

Ivy decides to go back to the Bayside Cafe and repeat everything, except this time she will confront them. It isn't her style to make a scene yet she wants to take the initiative and expose them rather than wait until Toby breaks the news.

It all goes as expected and Ivy steels herself. This is so not in her wheelhouse. Still, when Toby is seated and chatting away, she walks over.
Ivy: Hello, Toby. Fancy me meeting you here. Oh, and who's your friend?
Toby almost chokes on his food, his eyes wide and his face turning a deep shade of crimson: Ivy! What on earth are you doing here?
Ivy looks at Patricia with a faint smile and an inquisitive look: I'm just treating myself to lunch and I saw you walk in.
Toby tries to regain his composure: I... I can explain everything. Ivy, please sit down, let's talk about this.

Ivy's heart is hammering in her chest. She looks at Patricia, then back at Toby. She feels a strange mix of anger and sadness. 
Ivy: I'll pass on the seat, Toby. I just want to know who this lady is to you?
Toby: Please sit. There's a spare seat and I will explain. Ivy reluctantly sits, now avoiding looking at Patricia. Toby looks around to make sure that Ivy's arrival hasn't drawn undue attention. This is Patricia and she runs our ethics department. Toby takes a deep breath before continuing. To avoid suspicion while we build a case, we meet face to face in a neutral location. It's to do with a workplace issue. We are about to execute a whistleblowing charge against a high ranked member of the company. I'm gathering information secretly and I pass it on to Patricia. It's been a strain trying to get incriminating evidence without being noticed, and that's why I've been so tired lately.

Ivy feels a wave of relief wash over her, but also a bit of embarrassment: Oh, I thought... well, I just saw a message on your phone and I got the wrong idea.
Toby looks at his wife indignantly: A message? You've been spying on me? Ivy, I'm shocked. I thought our marriage was built on trust.
Ivy blushes, feeling a bit foolish: I'm sorry Toby, I just... I thought something was up.
Toby takes her hand and smiles: Trust me, there's nothing going on between myself and Patricia. We're just colleagues fighting a common enemy.
Patricia smiles warmly at Ivy: It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Ivy. 
Ivy is now thoroughly embarrassed: I'll leave you to it and hope the case you're building is successful.

Ivy catches the bus home and thinks about how she allowed her imagination to run wild. Still, it was suspicious behaviour on Toby's part, so understandable. 

She wonders about Toby arriving home later and what he will say. Maybe he will feel less pressured and won't have the 'Sorry but I'm too tired' response. 

No comments:

Post a Comment