Thursday, 24 September 2026

Planning Is Everything

A group of four employees is staying at a rural accommodation as a thank you for a successful deal that was completed at their company. They are Rudy, Glenn, Leah and Yvette.

















The shuttle bus arrives outside the accommodation. It's a log cabin building but also has that feeling of cosiness. Leah steps off the shuttle bus, inhaling the crisp, pine-scented air and stretching her arms wide. 
Leah: Now this is what I call a reward. I can actually hear my own thoughts for the first time in three months.
Yvette carries a small designer suitcase as she looks around the perimeter of the property with a curious expression. 
Yvette: It's almost too quiet, isn't it?
Rudy: Sounds perfect to me.
Glenn smiles but says nothing. Coming from a wealthy family, it's a little low rent, but he is accepting that the company budget won't allow for more. It's ideal for the intended purpose. 

They go in but no one is there to greet them. Leah walks into the foyer and notices a small, handwritten note taped to a side table. 
Leah: Wait, guys, look. It says 'Welcome, please make yourselves at home.'
Yvette frowns: Why would they leave a note instead of being here to check us in?
Rudy: Maybe that's the arrangement, just giving us privacy. Come on, let's find the bedrooms and then check out the rest of the place.
Glenn follows Rudy down the hallway: It does feel a bit... vacant.

There are two bedrooms, each with large single beds. The men and women choose a room for each gender and they leave their bags on the beds as they explore further. The kitchen is well appointed but basic, as is the dining and living rooms. Leah wanders onto the deck at the rear and sees a spa pool.
Leah: Wow, I know where I'll be later.

Yvette joins her, though she doesn't look at the spa; her eyes are fixed on the dense treeline surrounding the property. 
Yvette: Does anyone else feel like we're being watched?
Rudy comes out and leans against the railing, completely relaxed.
Rudy: You've been in the city too long, Yvette. The only things watching us are the squirrels.
Glenn: It's late in the day. Shall we arrange some food, as it appears it is not staffed? So much for rewarding us. Our department closed a lucrative deal, and this is what we get.
Leah feels chilled out: Oh come on, Glenn. It's an adventure. Let's just see what's in the pantry. 

The pantry has a reasonable stock of food but just basics such as bread, cereals, pasta, crisps and tinned food. The fridge has some fresh vegetables, cheese and dips. More importantly, white wine and beer along with lemonade, tonic and coke. Fruit juices too.

Glenn opens a bottle of wine with a sigh of resignation: Well, at least the wine is chilled. Who wants a glass while we figure out what to actually eat? The food isn't à la carte standard. 
Yvette sips her drink, then suddenly freezes, hearing a faint, metallic clinking sound coming from the basement.
Yvette: Did you hear that?
Rudy walking over to the basement door, he tries the handle, but it's locked.
Rudy: Probably just the pipes. This place is old. Stop stressing, Yvette, and let's get dinner on.

They all chip in and eat heartily, then sit in the lounge to let their dinners settle. There are some board games, jigsaw puzzles, playing cards and a book shelf with a variety of subjects. Glenn opens a cabinet in the lounge to find some spirit drinks.
Glenn: They've got some decent Scotch here. Anyone for a nightcap?
Yvette spies over his shoulder: I'd love a whisky and ginger ale myself to take to the spa.
Leah: I'm good, thanks. 
Rudy: Let's grab a beer. Glenn.




















They change into swimwear and take their drinks with a few nibbles to the spa. The talk is convivial and more so as the drinks flow.
Rudy: I think I'm ready for bed. They all agree and go to sleep.

The next morning, Leah is first up and starts getting some beans on toast organised. One by one, they arrive.
Yvette: I don't get this. The place is okay, but a reward? It seems more like a bonding session to me.
Rudy laughs: A bonding session? 
Glenn sips his coffee, looking thoughtfully through the window: I think something went wrong with the planning.
Leah smiling: Maybe the test is just seeing if we can survive a weekend without our phones having any signal. She holds up her phone as proof that she's tried. 
They all check and sure enough, realize they each have no signal.
Rudy stretches his arms, oblivious to the concern: Who cares? We're on vacation. Let's go for a walk before the weather turns.
Leah looks at the horizon: A walk sounds great, but there is low cloud. Rain may be coming in.

Then a phone rings. They look at each other and then follow the sound. Leah finds a landline phone.
Leah: Hello? It's Leah here.
Peter Holmes at head office: Hello Leah. It's Peter from Human Resources. It's come to our attention that the catering firm has provided basic food but not service along with it. They were supposed to do breakfast and dinner, with you guys doing lunch. Sorry about that. We messed up on the planning. Do you want us to get the service side up and running?
Leah: I'll ask them. Leah puts it to them. Glenn and Yvette want service. Leah and Rudy aren't particularly wanting it. It's a 50/50 split decision. We're divided Peter.
Peter: Can I have an answer?
They decide not to bother and thank Peter for the call. They then plan the day.

Rudy: Let's pack a lunch and head up to the lookout point. It's 2 1/2 hours to get there and we can have a packed lunch and then back for a meal and spa.

They all get ready with tramping boots and rain jackets just in case and off they go. The walk is pleasantly cool and the view from the lookout is spectacular. They drop their backpacks and use a zipline (flying fox) that is nearby. They come back to lunch but realise that the sandwiches are missing.
Yvette: Who was looking after the sandwiches? There is bread, but nothing on it.
Glenn: I did. I packed them. He looks in the bag. Did I put the sandwiches back in the pantry and pack the bread?
Leah: Without your maid to look after you..
Glenn: Don't go there Leah. I'm not pampered.
Rudy: Easy mistake. I bought some chippies so we won't starve.

Later, they head back and cook up a pasta meal. The sandwiches are found in the pantry and put in the fridge to preserve them. Then drinks and off to the spa but the spa is cold. They check the plug and a timer has turned it off.
Yvette: I was looking forward to a nice hot spa. You boys should be taking care of that sort of thing, seeing as Leah and I have been cooking dinner and breakfast for you.
Glenn: Why would we expect a timer not set for each evening?
An argument ensues with frustrations surfacing.
Rudy: Calm down everyone. I'm sure I checked the timer but must have read it wrong. Anyway, it's not the end of the world.
Yvette: Of course not. It just feels like it.

They decide on an early night, but just then the phone rings again.
Peter: Hi guys. To make up for the lack of service at the lodge, we have arranged a cruise boat ride for you all on the lake. The boat owner will be there at 9am, but he has to be elsewhere after that. He will give you instructions before he heads off. Up for it?
Glenn: I'm familiar with boats. 
They all agree, and off to sleep they go in a slightly better mood.

















The next day, they head off with their provisions and it goes as planned. Glenn's family has a launch at their country estate, so he is given the job of steering the boat. He starts the engine and they enjoy the scene from the lake to the shore. 

Glenn then tests its speed and roars around the lake with gay abandon. They all love it. He then pulls into a small bay with a jetty and they all get off and stretch their legs. There are picnic tables and the sandwiches make a belated appearance, even if a little soggy.
Yvette: Thanks for bringing the right lunch this time. Glenn bows. Then it's back on the launch. Glenn looks at the fuel gauge and says nothing.
Yvette: Missing your chauffeur, Glenn?
He ignores the barb while tapping the fuel gauge.
Glenn: We're very low on fuel, too little left to get us anywhere near where we started. We don't want to run out while on the lake. This is a popular picnic spot, so the road will take us back to the lodge.
Yvette: Too much showing off Glenn? You burned up the fuel being the fool. Glenn stares over to Yvette, scowling as he does so. Rudy cools things.
Rudy: Enough. It was foolish but unintentional. Let's get walking, as it is some way back to the lodge.

They trudge along the road and it is dark before they arrive back.
Leah: I'm tired. How about we stop somewhere and rest?
Yvette: What? Under a tree? I say we press on.
Rudy: Let's rest a bit and then decide. Then it starts raining and the mood among the group matches the evening rain clouds above.
Leah: I've been reluctant to have a go at you Glenn, but you have landed us in it now.
Glenn: I've messed up.
Rudy: I say we walk on. We have rain coats and the road is broad enough not to get lost, even in the dark. They arrive back at the lodge and they all have showers, a bite to eat but it's too late for a spa.

The next morning the shuttle bus is due at 10am, so they have a self help breakfast of cereals.
Yvette: Some reward this was. I'm aching after yesterday.
Leah: I have to agree. Not your finest hour, Glenn.
Glenn is past apologising and Rudy simply tells Glenn not to worry about it. The shuttle arrives and they take the trip back to head office and then go their separate ways home.

The next day, they arrive at work. The four are ushered into the boardroom. The CEO Cyril Masters is at the head of the table with Peter Holmes from Human Resources next to him.
Cyril: I have been advised of your weekend away. I have brought you here today to say that your reward was anything but. I apologise for that and will arrange another get away at a proper location with full service and activities.
He pauses: Actually, the trip was planned as it eventuated. You see, Glenn was there to sabotage things and by all accounts did a fine job. Simple things like no lunch and a cold spa, followed by a long walk back to the lodge.
Leah: Was this a character building exercise?
Cyril: More of an assessment. Peter will hand out your assessment result as judged by Glenn. We want someone with a cool head and a calm demeanour to run our new office on the West Coast. All three of you volunteered for that position, and the written applications you submitted had you all neck and neck in terms of who would get the nod. I'm pleased to let you know that the practical test was won by Rudy and he has secured the post.
Rudy: I'm stunned...and excited.
Leah and Yvette look at each other in disbelief.
Yvette mutters to Leah: Jobs for the boys.
Leah whispers back: He deserved it. 
Cyril: Your assessment result is in the folder and I suggest you each read it in private and learn from it. Thank you for putting yourselves forward for the position. And I heard that Yvette, no favouritism was shown. 

















They walk out and Rudy turns to Glenn, Leah and Yvette.
Rudy: Can I buy you all lunch?
Yvette: Better make it a posh one Rudy. I'm gutted.
Leah: Me too. Actually, can you make it dinner so I can have a few drinks too?
Rudy smiles: I guess so. Just go easy on the booze.
Yvette: Yeah, right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment