Friday, 18 September 2026

The Honey Trap

Luca Radić works for his country's Foreign Affairs department, assisting policy makers with sensitive treaties and political decisions for Valeria. He is a widower and currently lives alone without a love interest. Mila Novak is a honey trap working for a hostile neighbouring country, Glacovia.

Luca is sitting at a table in a bar, having a drink. He notices a pretty young lady and keeps glancing her way. She's far too young to notice him, he regretfully accepts. But then he notices she is glancing his way, with a smile. She then ignores him, only to repeat a few minutes later. It's as if she is teasing him. She then gets up and walks over to Luca.
Mila: Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice you've been staring. Is there something on my face, or are you just remarkably bad at hiding your curiosity? She leans in slightly, her smile remains soft and inviting.
Luca: Er..sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.
Mila: Oh, don't apologise. Curiosity is a virtue, provided it's directed at the right things. 

She slides into the seat opposite him. I'm Mila. And you look like someone who is craving some company. Having a drink alone is no fun. She orders another drink and refills her glass.
Luca: I'm Luca. And you are right. Drinking alone isn't as much fun as sharing it with someone.
Mila: So, what sort of work do you do, Luca?
Luca: My job is quite dull. I just work in administration. He offers a shy, slightly clumsy smile. He lets his eyes linger on her for a second too long before looking down at his drink.
Mila: Administration. The silent engine of the world. She lets out a soft laugh, her eyes scanning him for any sign of weakness or ego. Tell me, Luca, does your administration involve anything exciting, or do you just spend your days filing papers into folders that no one will ever read? Her voice dropping to a more intimate, conspiratorial tone.
Luca: Mostly the latter, unfortunately. It's a lot of stamping and waiting for people more important than me to tell me what to do. He chuckles, a self-deprecating sound that makes him seem harmless, almost invisible. 
Luca continues: Though occasionally, the folders are actually quite interesting, even if they're meant to be forgotten.
Mila: A man of hidden depths. How refreshing. She reaches out, her fingers touching the sleeve of his jacket, a touch that is light but calculated. I've always found that the most interesting people are the ones who pretend to be the most boring. They're the only ones worth knowing. She sips her drink, her gaze locking onto his with a predatory intensity masked as genuine interest.
Luca: I think you might be overestimating me, Mila. I'm just a man who enjoys a quiet drink after a long day of... nothing much. He laughs softly. What about you? You seem far too vibrant for this particular corner of the city.
Mila: I'm just passing through. A traveler of sorts, looking for something a bit more stimulating than the usual tourist traps. She leans closer. I think I've found something stimulating right here. Perhaps you could show me around the city? Someone who knows the 'boring' parts usually knows where the real secrets are hidden.
Luca: I'm not sure I'm the best tour guide. But... I suppose I could tell you about a few places that aren't in the brochures, if you're really into that sort of thing. He gives a modest shrug, his heart beating a bit faster, curious to see why she is fastening on to an older man of no real appeal.
Mila: Perfect. I'll hold you to that. She stands up, the movement fluid and confident, her dress clinging to her frame just enough to be suggestive. I'm staying at the Grand Regency. Why don't we finish our drinks and you can tell me more about these secret, boring places over a proper dinner tomorrow? They have a lovely menu. 7pm? She goes to pass him but pauses, letting her fingers rest on his shoulder.
Luca: Er, sure, I'd love to.

She disappears through the door of the bar and onto the street. His heart is still beating at an elevated rate, scarcely believing someone so beautiful would even notice him. Is she attracted to older...no, mature men? He intends to find out. He has not had a moment of romance in his life since his beloved Marija passed away two years ago and Mila's attentiveness has sparked his feelings in that regard.

Luca wonders if he will get stood up, but going to the hotel she stays at makes him hopeful. In the hotel lobby, Mila approaches from behind and 
brushes some fluff off his shoulder. He turns and is happy to see her. She looks beautiful.

Mila is wearing the same dress as the night before, no doubt part of the hotel valet service. The dress itself is not quite suitable for a formal setting, though she carries it with such grace that it doesn't seem out of place. It worked a treat before and will again.

Mila: You actually showed up, she says, her voice a playful purr as she stands in front of him. I must admit, Luca, I expected you to be too timid to actually follow through. I've booked a table. She spins around and leads the way, her fine figure on full display as he tries to keep up. They are seated and Mila studies Luca's face for a moment to gauge the level of commitment.

Mila: So, tell me, Luca. Who do you work for, if it's not being too nosy? I'm interested in you.
Luca: I'm not supposed to say but you are a visitor, a tourist, so I think it's okay. Confidentially, I work for our Foreign Affairs department. I don't want to sound dramatic but some of the information that crosses my desk is..shall we say, sensitive. Luca has an air of importance, not something he normally ever feels.

Mila's eyes widen slightly, though she quickly masks it with a look of impressed amusement: Foreign Affairs? Well, that's certainly more exciting than 'administration'. She leans in, her voice dropping an octave. I imagine that comes with a lot of responsibility. And perhaps a bit of loneliness? It must be hard to find someone who understands the pressure of such a world.
Luca: I live alone, so yes, there is no one to confide in, not that I can say anything anyway. But as you understand, it's not easy keeping one's lips in check.
Mila reaches across the table, her hand covering his, her skin warm and soft. You're not alone now, Luca. I'm very good at keeping secrets. In fact, I find they're much more valuable when they're shared between two people who trust each other. She looks into his eyes, her expression one of deep, calculated empathy. Why don't we forget about the government for a while and talk about what you actually want in life? And perhaps some of the hidden secrets that a tourist would love to discover in your city. 

They talk at length and before long, the meal is concluded. Luca says he will deal with the financial side of the meal. He does so and they both stand in the lobby.
Mila: I had a wonderful time. Truly. She leans in and kisses his cheek, the scent of her perfume, floral and expensive, lingering in the air. I'd love to see you again. Perhaps you could come by my room for a drink tomorrow evening? It's much more private than a restaurant. First floor, room 107. This is my cell phone number if you can't make it. She hands him a card and gives him a lingering look, a silent invitation that is impossible to ignore.
Luca: If that's not putting you out? he asks in an unconvincing way.
Mila laughs: It would be my pleasure, Luca. I'll be waiting for you. She turns and heads toward the lift, casting one last, friendly glance back at him over her shoulder. 

Luca returns home, feeling something he recalls from his early courting days with Marija. He knows this meeting of Mila is in reality all too good to be true. But he is happy to ride the brief wave. He wonders if he hasn't lost his attractiveness to a discerning woman after all.

He goes to work the next day and when the evening comes, he goes home, showers and dresses suavely. He is anxious as he arrives at Mila's room. Will it go well? He knocks and the door swings open.
Mila: You're right on time. She is wearing an emerald silk dress, her eyes dancing with a mixture of mischief and intent. Come in, Luca. She steps back, gesturing for him to enter the lowly lit room. I appreciated your generosity yesterday and I intend repaying it with interest. For a start, I'll get some quality wine for us.
Luca: To be in the company of someone like you, who understands my situation, is a pleasure.

Mila guides him to the sofa and she sits him down. She joins him and is very close
. 

Mila: You're such a gentleman. It's so rare these days. She pours him a glass of wine, her movements slow and deliberate. Tell me, Luca... in those sensitive folders you handle, do you ever find things that make you question the way the world works? Or do you just follow the orders and trust the system? She sips her wine, her gaze piercing, searching for a crack in his facade.

Luca: I don't always agree with our government policies, but my job is not to question decisions made by those higher up.
Mila lets out a soft sigh, her hand resting on his chest, feeling the rhythm of his heart: What a waste of such a sharp mind. She leans closer: That would frustrate me.
Luca: We always seem to be on the same page.
Mila smiles, a look of genuine satisfaction crossing her face as she realizes how easily he is falling into her orbit.
Mila: We really are, aren't we? It's almost as if we were meant to meet. She shifts even closer, her voice taking on a low, seductive resonance. I think we could be very good for one another, Luca. I've always felt that a man with such an important job, and a woman who appreciates that, make a dangerous but wonderful pair.

Luca feels important: Yes. I shouldn't say this but I trust you. My country, Valeria, has a cunning plan to get back at our northern neighbour, Glacovia. I have documents on my desk, once actioned will have a major impact in the area, a shift in power toward Valeria.
Mila wants to get her hands on this information. Her heart leaps, though her face remains a mask of tenderness: A shift in power... that sounds incredibly significant. She looks deep into his eyes. Of course, you can't tell me the details here. But imagine how much more exciting it would be if you could show me. Just a glance, just for me. I promise, your secret would be safe in my heart.
Luca: I would gladly show you so you can understand the importance of my job, but that would be impossible. Security is tight.
Mila pouts slightly, a choreographed expression of disappointment: Of course. She leans in to kiss him, her touch lingers. But you'll find a way, won't you? For me? I'd love to see you be the hero of your own story for once, rather than just the man filing the papers.

Luca looks into her eyes, her kiss the first he has felt for years with that sort of passion. In fact, after the honeymoon. Marija never kissed like Mila.
Luca: If it means that much to you, I will do what I can. Just a glance mind you, to prove my important role to you. I can tell you are attracted to men of influence, hence your interest.
A flash of triumph flickers in her eyes, quickly replaced by a soft, affectionate gaze: I'm attracted to you, Luca. Your influence is just a delightful bonus. She pulls him to her, her voice a whisper against his ear. Now, let's stop talking about folders and treaties for a while. I think we've spent enough time on business for one evening, don't you?

Luca then gets a little too friendly and Mila tells Luka that she suddenly remembers she has an early morning appointment. Mila stands up, her expression shifting to professional.
Luca: It's okay, I understand. You are a woman of substance, you have things to do.
She senses his disappointment, so decides her reaction was too strong and moves to soften it: You're so understanding. That's why I like you. 






















She gives him a final, promising kiss. Go home and get some sleep, Luca. And think about how we might manage that... little tour of your office paperwork. I'll call you tomorrow. 
She opens the door, her smile remaining, but her eyes already calculating the fastest way to transmit these documents to her handlers.

Luca goes to work and obtains some photos and when Mila rings, he tells her what he has done and will show them to her when they meet up.
Mila has a plan in place: Oh, you're such a wonderful surprise, Luca! I can't wait to see them. Why don't we meet at the botanical gardens tomorrow afternoon at 3pm? They are just behind my hotel. It's quiet, peaceful, and we can be as discreet as you need. Then back to my suite...? She hangs up, her expression turning cold as she immediately begins typing a report to her superiors in Glacovia.

Luca downloads the photos onto a laptop and goes to the agreed meeting place. There is Mila as she promised. He opens his laptop and the files appear.
Luca: Now, just a perusal.
A man discreetly hidden in the greenery takes photos of the transaction for Mila. 

Mila sits on a bench and takes a look at the documents, her eyes scanning them with a practiced, hungry intensity. This is incredible, Luca. You've given me a window into a world most people never see. She quickly pulls out a USB stick and downloads the documents, then puts the stick in her bag. Her heart racing with the thrill of the catch. 
Luca: You can't load that onto the USB stick, he protests with an air of resignation.

Mila freezes, her smile faltering for a split second before returning with double the intensity. Oh darling. The way you trust me and your responsibility is what attracts me to you. Are you saying you think I'm a spy or something? She reaches out to touch his arm, her tone soothing. I only wanted to see them in a little more detail. I love this sort of thing. I was born curious.
Luca: Well, once you have looked over the information, please delete it.
Mila: Of course. You've been so generous, Luca. I feel like I owe you something truly special in return. She leads him back toward the hotel.

Luca has a look of happiness, of a man who believes he has found a partner who appreciates him. She can sense he has fallen deeply in love with her charms.
As they walk, she reassures him: You're a very special man, Luca. I've never met anyone quite like you.  She thinks to herself: And you're far more needy and gullible than I thought. Maybe one leads to the other, she decides.
Mila: Shall we go back to my room and celebrate your trusting me?

Back at the room, the secret photographer is waiting and Mila's tone is different.
Mila: Now, Luca. we have evidence of your handing over sensitive information. The man standing there nods with a smile. We expect your cooperation in future.
Luca: You played me!
Mila laughs: Played you? No, I just gave you what you wanted. A bit of attention, a bit of passion. And in return, you gave my country exactly what it needed. She walks around him, her eyes devoid of the warmth they had earlier. But don't look so sad. You're quite useful. We'll keep you happy, provided you keep the folders coming. We both know you're too lonely to say no to me.
Luca: I am not that lonely.
Mila: Your heart says otherwise, Luca. I can tell. She leans in, her voice cold but still intimate. Now, shall we discuss how often you'll be visiting my room to bring me new souvenirs? Don't forget we have photos. 
Luca's head drops: You have a hold on me now. I don't have a choice, his tone tinged with bitterness.
Mila smiles, knowing she now owns him.

Luca goes to work the next day and he is told his boss wants to see him.
Boss: Everything okay, Luca?
Luca: Yes, no problem.
Boss: Excellent work. When you realised you were a target of a honey trap, coming to me was very professional. How did you work out she was a spy?
Luca: The first night I met her, I was pretty sure. She expressed too much interest in my work. I then came to you. The next day confirmed it as we suspected. I knew that if I didn't come to you promptly, I could get reeled in. She is very attractive and charming. 
Boss: You did the right thing. The bogus information we have decided to feed her and Glacovia will work a treat. As long as they think it's genuine, then we will keep feeding them. He smiles satisfyingly. That will be all, Luca. Expect another call soon from your darling Mila. The boss's smile widens.

Luca walks out and later that evening, sits in his lounge with a whisky and solitude as his companions. He knows that Mila was putting on a show, but for a brief time, it made him feel special, alive. It became a set up to trick her, but a hard one to play with someone as delightful as Mila.
Maybe it was time to move on from Marija and find someone special to share his life with. He knows it won't be with Mila, especially when she finds out she was the one being played. Or maybe on an emotional level, she still owns him.

No comments:

Post a Comment