Rodney: You missed school yesterday. Were you sick?
Nick: Nah. My dad just forgot to wake me up, and by the time I realized it was noon, the day was basically over. He just asked if I wanted pancakes.
Rodney: Why did you sleep in on a Monday morning? You had all weekend to rest.
Nick: I was out with some new mates who moved into our street. We went into the city on Sunday night and had a great time.
Rodney asks curiously: Doing what exactly?
Nick replies nonchalantly: We hung out for a bit, got some food and went to a games arena. Then hung out some more and came back sometime in the morning.
Rodney's eyes widen: Hey, that all costs money.
Nick: Oh, these guys have money, and my dad also gives me plenty if I ask nicely. He's cool like that.
Rodney: We don't have much money. Where does your dad get his money?
Nick: He doesn't say. He's home a lot and doesn't have any regular work. Some of his acquaintances look suspicious but I don't ask who they are. Anyway, why don't you join us? We don't get into trouble and it's better than hanging around home. Dad always has a girlfriend visiting and I think they prefer me elsewhere.
Rodney: My parents would never let me go out like that. They would worry.
Nick: Your parents are just too protective. It's fun. What do you say?
Rodney: I don't know, Nick. This sounds too good to be true. Who are these guys?
Nick: Just some cool dudes. Anyway, Friday night we're going out again. Coming? 10pm down on the corner of Roscoe St.
Rodney hesitates: I could ask my folks, but I know the answer.
Nick gently elbows him: Just go to bed and slip out the window.
Rodney: They would kill me if they found out. Besides, I don't get much pocket money. Not enough to do what you do.
Nick: My treat. I'll cover you.
Rodney looks surprised: Really. Thanks. I'll see if I can make it.
Nick: Be there!
Rodney: Why did you sleep in on a Monday morning? You had all weekend to rest.
Nick: I was out with some new mates who moved into our street. We went into the city on Sunday night and had a great time.
Rodney asks curiously: Doing what exactly?
Nick replies nonchalantly: We hung out for a bit, got some food and went to a games arena. Then hung out some more and came back sometime in the morning.
Rodney's eyes widen: Hey, that all costs money.
Nick: Oh, these guys have money, and my dad also gives me plenty if I ask nicely. He's cool like that.
Rodney: We don't have much money. Where does your dad get his money?
Nick: He doesn't say. He's home a lot and doesn't have any regular work. Some of his acquaintances look suspicious but I don't ask who they are. Anyway, why don't you join us? We don't get into trouble and it's better than hanging around home. Dad always has a girlfriend visiting and I think they prefer me elsewhere.
Rodney: My parents would never let me go out like that. They would worry.
Nick: Your parents are just too protective. It's fun. What do you say?
Rodney: I don't know, Nick. This sounds too good to be true. Who are these guys?
Nick: Just some cool dudes. Anyway, Friday night we're going out again. Coming? 10pm down on the corner of Roscoe St.
Rodney hesitates: I could ask my folks, but I know the answer.
Nick gently elbows him: Just go to bed and slip out the window.
Rodney: They would kill me if they found out. Besides, I don't get much pocket money. Not enough to do what you do.
Nick: My treat. I'll cover you.
Rodney looks surprised: Really. Thanks. I'll see if I can make it.
Nick: Be there!
Friday evening comes and Rodney is quieter than usual as he worries about what to do.
Candace (mum): You alright, Nick? You don't seem yourself.
Rodney perks up: I'm good.
Howard (dad): Something seems on your mind. Any problems at school?
Rodney reacts frustratedly: You're always checking on me. I'm not a kid anymore!
Candace: That's not fair, Nick. We love you and are concerned if you seem unhappy.
Rodney: I'm going to my room.
Howard: Not just yet, my boy. Sit down. Rodney slumps on a kitchen chair, scowling. Sit up straight. Rodney obeys but his eyes remain fixed downward, his head propped up with an arm. Howard sits next to him: What's up? Something is bothering you.
Rodney: It's nothing.
Candace sits the other side: You can tell us anything, Rodney. She puts her hand on him reassuringly.
Candace (mum): You alright, Nick? You don't seem yourself.
Rodney perks up: I'm good.
Howard (dad): Something seems on your mind. Any problems at school?
Rodney reacts frustratedly: You're always checking on me. I'm not a kid anymore!
Candace: That's not fair, Nick. We love you and are concerned if you seem unhappy.
Rodney: I'm going to my room.
Howard: Not just yet, my boy. Sit down. Rodney slumps on a kitchen chair, scowling. Sit up straight. Rodney obeys but his eyes remain fixed downward, his head propped up with an arm. Howard sits next to him: What's up? Something is bothering you.
Rodney: It's nothing.
Candace sits the other side: You can tell us anything, Rodney. She puts her hand on him reassuringly.
Rodney takes a deep breath: My mate Nick is going out tonight to the city and he invited me. Rodney pauses. In a way I don't want to go as it's too late and I don't know the other guys who are coming. It just...sounds so much fun. He looks up. They don't get into trouble.
Candace: Oh Rodney! It may sound fun, but it could so easily lead to trouble.
Howard: All it takes is for someone to do something foolish and things can quickly get out of hand. If the police get involved, you will be guilty by association.
Rodney sighs: I know.
Howard: Besides, where would you get the money to pay for this 'fun'?
Rodney: Nick gets money from his dad and he promised to take care of that.
Candace: Maybe for now he will, but you can't expect him to keep doing that.
Rodney: I get that. Looks up pleadingly. I just wanted to do it once and if I wasn't happy about what went down, then I wouldn't go again.
Howard: I think you know we aren't going to agree to this. It sounds like a very late night. What time do they get home?
Rodney: Erm. Quite late.
Howard: Past midnight?
Rodney: Maybe.
Candace: We love you son, and we have a responsibility to care for you. When you are older, you can choose for yourself, but for now it's our responsibility. It's too risky and quite frankly irresponsible if we were to allow you to do this. For Nick's dad to let him do this...it's not right.
Rodney gets excited: You won't report Nick's dad, will you? Nick would never forgive me.
Howard: We probably should but we do understand the predicament it would put you in. Why don't you tell Nick you won't be going and that he shouldn't either?
Rodney: He sees no problem with this, but I will try.
Rodney doesn't see Nick over the weekend and Nick misses school again on Monday. Tuesday, Rodney sees Nick on the bus, but he's with other boys, so Nick sits elsewhere. Later in the locker area, Rodney goes up to Nick.
Rodney: What's up?
Nick is annoyed: We waited twenty minutes for you on the corner of Roscoe St. You didn't show and the other boys weren't impressed. Chicken out, did you?
Rodney: My parents wouldn't let me.
Nick: You didn't have to tell them! You are so under their control. It's time you showed some guts.
Rodney: It's alright for you. Your dad wants you out of the house to entertain his lady friends, but my parents want me home, safe.
Nick: Whatever. We had a blast anyway. We went to this new arcade and it was wild. Your loss. I think it's time we went separate ways. I've got new friends now, friends that have fun and aren't under their parents' thumb. He turns and walks away, leaving Rodney speechless.
Howard: All it takes is for someone to do something foolish and things can quickly get out of hand. If the police get involved, you will be guilty by association.
Rodney sighs: I know.
Howard: Besides, where would you get the money to pay for this 'fun'?
Rodney: Nick gets money from his dad and he promised to take care of that.
Candace: Maybe for now he will, but you can't expect him to keep doing that.
Rodney: I get that. Looks up pleadingly. I just wanted to do it once and if I wasn't happy about what went down, then I wouldn't go again.
Howard: I think you know we aren't going to agree to this. It sounds like a very late night. What time do they get home?
Rodney: Erm. Quite late.
Howard: Past midnight?
Rodney: Maybe.
Candace: We love you son, and we have a responsibility to care for you. When you are older, you can choose for yourself, but for now it's our responsibility. It's too risky and quite frankly irresponsible if we were to allow you to do this. For Nick's dad to let him do this...it's not right.
Rodney gets excited: You won't report Nick's dad, will you? Nick would never forgive me.
Howard: We probably should but we do understand the predicament it would put you in. Why don't you tell Nick you won't be going and that he shouldn't either?
Rodney: He sees no problem with this, but I will try.
Rodney doesn't see Nick over the weekend and Nick misses school again on Monday. Tuesday, Rodney sees Nick on the bus, but he's with other boys, so Nick sits elsewhere. Later in the locker area, Rodney goes up to Nick.
Rodney: What's up?
Nick is annoyed: We waited twenty minutes for you on the corner of Roscoe St. You didn't show and the other boys weren't impressed. Chicken out, did you?
Rodney: My parents wouldn't let me.
Nick: You didn't have to tell them! You are so under their control. It's time you showed some guts.
Rodney: It's alright for you. Your dad wants you out of the house to entertain his lady friends, but my parents want me home, safe.
Nick: Whatever. We had a blast anyway. We went to this new arcade and it was wild. Your loss. I think it's time we went separate ways. I've got new friends now, friends that have fun and aren't under their parents' thumb. He turns and walks away, leaving Rodney speechless.
That night, Rodney decides to tell his folks what happened.
Candace: That will hurt, but one day you will thank us for caring enough to set boundaries.
Rodney is undecided: Maybe.
Time passes and Nick drops out of school. He spends more time sleeping during the day than at night. He starts getting into bad ways, his mates are connected to gangs who use them as runners. They get arrested and the juvenile justice system intervenes. Repeat offending ensues and they end up in prison.
Candace: That will hurt, but one day you will thank us for caring enough to set boundaries.
Rodney is undecided: Maybe.
Time passes and Nick drops out of school. He spends more time sleeping during the day than at night. He starts getting into bad ways, his mates are connected to gangs who use them as runners. They get arrested and the juvenile justice system intervenes. Repeat offending ensues and they end up in prison.
Meanwhile, Rodney goes through the school system and gets a steady job as an accountant. He meets a nice young lady (Jill) and is doing well. In contrast, Nick now has a criminal record, no qualifications and little in the way of job prospects.
Rodney settles down with Jill and one evening they both visit Rodney's parents and they sit in the living room. The young couple smile at each other.
Rodney turns to his parents: I just want to say thank you for caring enough about me to set boundaries. I hear Nick's life is a mess. His father didn't care about the route he was taking, just his itinerant love life. I resented your restrictions, but I now realise they were because you loved me.
Howard: Thank you son. Sometimes parents have to be cruel to be kind. We are so proud of you Rodney.
Jill: I'd like to thank you for raising your son to be the young man he is today.
Howard: We never had much money, but we had what we needed. A close, loving family.
Howard: Thank you son. Sometimes parents have to be cruel to be kind. We are so proud of you Rodney.
Jill: I'd like to thank you for raising your son to be the young man he is today.
Howard: We never had much money, but we had what we needed. A close, loving family.
Candace jumps up: I'll put the kettle on before you all have me a blubbering mess. Cake everyone? I baked one this afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment