Monday, 14 September 2026

Family Secret

Joshua Wycombe lives with his mother, Vera. His father died two years earlier. He was always told never to go up into the attic. Now, as a young adult and his mother out of the house, he decides to explore it. He gets a ladder from the garage, places it in the hallway and climbs up to the hatch. He pushes the hatch to one side and enters through a small opening.

Joshua turns on the light and looks around. There isn't much there, except a few cardboard boxes, a large chest and layers of dust. 






















Having scoped the lay of the land, he lifts himself up and walks over to the boxes. He peeks inside and sees some clothing items, discarded ornaments and a few of his old toys.

He smiles as he recalls the fun he had with the toys and the memory of playing with them. Being an only child meant his toys were his sole entertainment. How he longed for a sibling but mum couldn't have any more.

Josh moves on to the chest, unlatches the locks and lifts the lid. The dust falls copiously behind the  chest in the process of the lid being raised. He sees more objects, which must have had sufficient sentimental value to keep. A small, metal tin stands out as different, so he lifts it up and flicks open the lid.

There are photographs of a baby girl. One set of her very young and the other of her slightly older. His mother is holding the baby, but the photos of the slightly older girl are with adults he doesn't recognise. Then he hears his mother calling out to him. She has come home sooner than expected. 

He quickly puts everything back and tries to get down the ladder, but by this time, his mum is standing at the bottom of the ladder, with a look of anger.
Mum: Joshua, what on earth are you doing up there? I told you a thousand times to stay out of the attic! It's dangerous and... it's private. Get down here right now.
Joshua: I appreciate the danger angle when I was younger, but not now! I'm a grown up! I'm sorry for going up without asking you, but I guessed you'd say no if I asked, so I sneaked up.
Mum: It's not about your curiosity, Josh. There are things in that attic that are mine and personal. Now, come down and help me with the groceries.

Joshua helps in the kitchen but is quiet, which is unlike him. His mum senses this and is concerned as to why. What did he see?
Mum challenges him: You're awfully quiet. Cat got your tongue?
Joshua hesitates: I saw some photos of a baby girl and then perhaps of the same girl, but a bit older.
Mum reacts angrily: Why were you looking through my things? That is absolutely unacceptable!
Joshua: Why are you so defensive?
Mum: Because you went somewhere I told you not to. Was that too much to ask?
Joshua: No, I'm sorry.

They say no more on the subject. A little later, Joshua tells his mum he's going to visit a friend. Then he ends up staying for dinner at the friend's place, so he rings his mum to tell her. 

When he gets home, his mother is waiting in the living room, with a pensive look on her face.
Joshua: I didn't expect you to wait up for me mum.
Mum: Sit here, son. I want to talk to you.
Joshua feels anxious as he knows something of importance is coming his way.
Mum: You saw those photos in the attic in the tin.
Joshua:  Yeah, I did. Who was that girl?
Mum sighs: Her name is Isabel. She's your half sister.
Joshua:  What? How is that possible? I've never heard about her.
Mum: She was adopted out. Before I met your father, I had a child. She was one year old when I met your father, and he didn't want the child. I felt pressured, but everyone around me was saying it was better for Isabel if I gave her up for adoption. I caved in but regretted it ever since.
Joshua:  I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you.
Mum: It was. I quickly fell pregnant with you, Joshua and that helped a bit. Your father didn't want you to know about your half sister. When he died two years ago, I thought I should tell you but you were very upset losing your dad, so I put it off and then I got cold feet.
Joshua:  So the people with Isabel?
Mum: Her new parents. I only got the one set of photos and a letter, but that was all. I guess they wanted me to see that Isabel was well cared for.
Joshua:  Where is she now? Does she know anything about us?
Mum: I can't answer either question.
Joshua: Can we find her? I always wanted a sibling and now I have one!
Mum: Due to your father's wishes, I never tried.
Joshua:  I can't believe he did that to me.
Mum: He thought it was best. Anyway, do you want to reach out to Isabel?
Joshua: Of course. I just don't know where to start, and even if I did, would she want to respond? I have to at least try, and then leave the rest up to her.

Joshua decides to investigate and eventually finds a phone number he believes is Isabel's. He decides to text and confirm her identity.
Joshua: Hello, I'm looking for an Isabel who was adopted at one year of age. If this is true in your case, I'm a biological family member reaching out to you. I would love to connect with you. Please send me a private message so we can safely share details.

There is no instant reply. It goes into days and still Joshua hears nothing. Joshua is anxious, as is his mum. He starts to wonder if there will even be a reply. Then a week later.















Isabel: Hello, yes those circumstances fit my situation. How do I know if you are legitimate?
Joshua replies promptly: We have a letter from your adoptive parents, Thelma and Rodney. They also sent to your biological mother a letter and photographs of you as a baby, which we still possess. We just want to connect with you. I am your half brother and our mum is now able to reach out to you, not something she could do until recently.
Isabel likewise responds quickly: Well, you both sound keen. I had to run it past my adoptive parents and they have come around to the idea. Perhaps we can meet at a neutral venue somewhere. I live in Summerville. Are you near? There is a cafe on the river, the Slip Inn. How about this Saturday at noon we meet outside and then go inside for lunch?
Joshua: We live nearby in Hopetown. We will be there.

Isabel and her adoptive parents, Thelma and Rodney, arrive first. Then Joshua and Vera, and there are tearful hugs all around. Then lunch and back to Isabel's apartment. She is single and works in a boutique. Joshua is an apprentice mechanic. Isabel had chosen not to seek out her biological parents but did wonder about any family she might have.

They thereafter keep in touch. Isabel has two younger non biological sisters and they all, in due course, meet up with Joshua. Joshua finally has a sibling and Isabel now has a brother. 

It doesn't always work out this way. Some people choose not to reconnect and that is to be respected. Joshua is so happy that Isabel and her adoptive parents were open to the idea. An additional benefit is that a painful secret mum, Vera, carried for so many years is no longer a secret she is burdened with.

No comments:

Post a Comment