Simon Tomkins sits at his new desk at the Daviston Chronicle. He asks receptionist Lucy Baker for a cup of tea.
Lucy: Sure, I'll get that. No problem. She fetches a tea and returns.
Simon: Can you please join me for morning tea so we can talk?
Lucy: Sure Mr Tomkins but if the phone rings...
Simon: I understand. No problem. They get settled. So, I'm new here. What sort of culture does this town have, Lucy?
Lucy: The locals are friendly...and um..my kids are enjoying school. Oh, and there are some nice eateries and....
Simon: Thanks Lucy, but I was thinking more about negative stuff, the sort that builds readership.
Lucy: Oh, um..
Simon: Is it that bad?
Lucy: It's just my husband runs the local hardware store and..it doesn't go down well to say negative things around here.
Simon doesn't want to put Lucy in an awkward position: Well, thank you Lucy. I'll let you get back to your work.
Lucy: Sure Mr Tomkins but if the phone rings...
Simon: I understand. No problem. They get settled. So, I'm new here. What sort of culture does this town have, Lucy?
Lucy: The locals are friendly...and um..my kids are enjoying school. Oh, and there are some nice eateries and....
Simon: Thanks Lucy, but I was thinking more about negative stuff, the sort that builds readership.
Lucy: Oh, um..
Simon: Is it that bad?
Lucy: It's just my husband runs the local hardware store and..it doesn't go down well to say negative things around here.
Simon doesn't want to put Lucy in an awkward position: Well, thank you Lucy. I'll let you get back to your work.
He heads out early and starts visiting businesses, introducing himself to all the store owners and leaving his card. Their advertising keeps the local paper afloat.
Later, around 2pm, he passes the barber's shop and owner Robert Findlay has put a closed sign on the door as he steps out.
Simon: Hello. You must be Robert, the barber. I'm the new Chronicle editor. Can we grab a bite to eat and chat?
Rob: Sure, but not in town. Come out in ten minutes to my home. I'm going there for lunch. I live just out of town on Marler Rd. First right. Drive right up and park behind the house. By the way, call me Rob.
Simon turns up with his lunch and is invited into the dining room, where he meets Sally, Rob's wife.
Simon and Rob exchange small talk until Simon cuts to the chase.
Simon: So can you tell me what are some of the issues the town faces? Off the record, of course.
Sally speaks from the kitchen: Careful what you say Rob. She gives Simon a stare as she then walks past and down the hallway.
Simon: That bad, huh?
Rob: There are people here who can ruin you if you step on their toes.
Simon: I'm discreet about my sources but not in my methods. So tell me, what's it all about. You won't be implicated. I will only publish if it doesn't point a finger at my source.
Rob: Sure, but not in town. Come out in ten minutes to my home. I'm going there for lunch. I live just out of town on Marler Rd. First right. Drive right up and park behind the house. By the way, call me Rob.
Simon turns up with his lunch and is invited into the dining room, where he meets Sally, Rob's wife.
Simon and Rob exchange small talk until Simon cuts to the chase.
Simon: So can you tell me what are some of the issues the town faces? Off the record, of course.
Sally speaks from the kitchen: Careful what you say Rob. She gives Simon a stare as she then walks past and down the hallway.
Simon: That bad, huh?
Rob: There are people here who can ruin you if you step on their toes.
Simon: I'm discreet about my sources but not in my methods. So tell me, what's it all about. You won't be implicated. I will only publish if it doesn't point a finger at my source.
Rob sighs: The police chief was appointed by the local government and answers to Mayor Patterson. The major then uses the police to control things how he wants. Depending on whether you play ball or not, you can be charged with things you didn't do or get away with what you did do. Speeding tickets can be issued to you when you aren't speeding or speeding drivers let off with a warning, depending on which side of the fence you sit. That's an obvious one, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Simon: What impacts on you the most, apart from speeding fines?
Rob: The sheriff visits once a month for a fee to cover the safety of our business. The major takes most of it and passes on a cut to the judge. They are the unholy trinity.
Simon: What impacts on you the most, apart from speeding fines?
Rob: The sheriff visits once a month for a fee to cover the safety of our business. The major takes most of it and passes on a cut to the judge. They are the unholy trinity.
Sally returns to the kitchen: Now Rob, don't go telling the new man too much.
Rob: It's alright Sal. He's the editor. He's meant to be fearless.
Simon: I intend to be. So who's the sheriff?
Rob: James Harrington. He's the one who makes sure everything runs smoothly. You'll probably meet him soon. He likes to know who's in town.
Simon: Thanks Rob. I'll be in touch. Sally glares at Simon as he leaves. He senses an unlying fear of speaking out.
Rob: It's alright Sal. He's the editor. He's meant to be fearless.
Simon: I intend to be. So who's the sheriff?
Rob: James Harrington. He's the one who makes sure everything runs smoothly. You'll probably meet him soon. He likes to know who's in town.
Simon: Thanks Rob. I'll be in touch. Sally glares at Simon as he leaves. He senses an unlying fear of speaking out.
When Simon gets back to his office, Sheriff James Harrington is waiting.
James: Hello Simon. They shake hands. I've heard how you have been making yourself known in town with friendly visits. I thought I'd give you one.
Simon: Come into my office Sheriff. Lucy can you bring the sheriff a coffee? Thanks.
James: So a new editor. The last one left in a hurry. No idea why. Still, I'm sure you'll settle in nicely. The town looks after those who look after it. By the way, call me James.
Simon: I intend to stay for a while James.
James: Your boss Walt Graves may be expecting you to stir things up a bit. He likes a bit of scandal, but here we don't tolerate trouble makers.
Simon: Is that a shot across the bow, James?
James: Just some friendly advice. If you catch up with Robert Graves, he's a good man and like all good barbers, listens to the town gossip. Gossip is like spinach, once it's boiled down, there's not a lot to it.
Simon: I'm a journalist James, I listen to everyone.
James: I'm sure you do. Just remember, if you're looking for a story, come to me first. I'll tell you what's going on.
Simon: I'll keep that in mind. I think we'll get along just fine.
James: Hello Simon. They shake hands. I've heard how you have been making yourself known in town with friendly visits. I thought I'd give you one.
Simon: Come into my office Sheriff. Lucy can you bring the sheriff a coffee? Thanks.
James: So a new editor. The last one left in a hurry. No idea why. Still, I'm sure you'll settle in nicely. The town looks after those who look after it. By the way, call me James.
Simon: I intend to stay for a while James.
James: Your boss Walt Graves may be expecting you to stir things up a bit. He likes a bit of scandal, but here we don't tolerate trouble makers.
Simon: Is that a shot across the bow, James?
James: Just some friendly advice. If you catch up with Robert Graves, he's a good man and like all good barbers, listens to the town gossip. Gossip is like spinach, once it's boiled down, there's not a lot to it.
Simon: I'm a journalist James, I listen to everyone.
James: I'm sure you do. Just remember, if you're looking for a story, come to me first. I'll tell you what's going on.
Simon: I'll keep that in mind. I think we'll get along just fine.
James smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes. He stands up and heads for the door.
James: I'll be seeing you around Simon. Keep it friendly and we'll have no problems.
Lucy then comes in afterward: Be careful Mr Tomkins. He doesn't like people stirring things up.
Simon: He's a man who likes to control things Lucy. I'm sure he'll find the Chronicle's new direction very interesting.
Lucy then comes in afterward: Be careful Mr Tomkins. He doesn't like people stirring things up.
Simon: He's a man who likes to control things Lucy. I'm sure he'll find the Chronicle's new direction very interesting.
Simon plots his first story, not about the county fair but something to rattle cages. He writes an article about local businesses paying money to stay safe. He decides to pay the sheriff a visit before printing it to see if that will change his tactics. He goes into the sheriff's office and is seated.
Simon: Here is a dummy copy of an article I propose to run tomorrow. I don't want to run it but will if this continues sheriff.
James looks over it and then puts it down, his face going red: You are either the bravest man I've met or the most stupid. Publish that and you will regret it. That's not a thread, just a consequence.
Simon: It's not a consequence if sanity prevails. America has freedom of expression. It's not libelous as it's true.
James sneers: Get anyone to stand up in court and back you up, Simon. He leans forward. Publish that and you're done. You'll follow the last editor out of town.
Simon: I thought you said you didn't know why he left. Cut the stand over tactics or it goes to print. Deal?
James: Get out and don't say I didn't warn you.
Simon: Here is a dummy copy of an article I propose to run tomorrow. I don't want to run it but will if this continues sheriff.
James looks over it and then puts it down, his face going red: You are either the bravest man I've met or the most stupid. Publish that and you will regret it. That's not a thread, just a consequence.
Simon: It's not a consequence if sanity prevails. America has freedom of expression. It's not libelous as it's true.
James sneers: Get anyone to stand up in court and back you up, Simon. He leans forward. Publish that and you're done. You'll follow the last editor out of town.
Simon: I thought you said you didn't know why he left. Cut the stand over tactics or it goes to print. Deal?
James: Get out and don't say I didn't warn you.
Simon gets back to the office and invites Lucy to join him for a drink. After some small talk, he explains what he is planning.
Lucy: The last editor had his car tires slashed after his first bust up with the sheriff.
Simon: I was warned about that. My wife Hillary dropped me off at work today and will continue to do so. If I need the car, I just give her a call.
Simon: I was warned about that. My wife Hillary dropped me off at work today and will continue to do so. If I need the car, I just give her a call.
The article is published and the paper sells out. Then one by one, advertisers ring up and pull their adverts. When Simon goes out, people are decidedly cooler. They like what he's doing but fear reprisals.
At the end of the day, Simon decides not to call Hillary for a lift but walk home. The main street is quiet. just the odd parked car. He walks past an alleyway and two men grab him and drag him into it.
At the end of the day, Simon decides not to call Hillary for a lift but walk home. The main street is quiet. just the odd parked car. He walks past an alleyway and two men grab him and drag him into it.
Simon has a boxing background and gives them a run for their money, but he can't overcome two burly thugs. As he falls to the ground, his lip bleeding, they are about to give him a kicking when three men run into the alley and start beating Simon's assailants. The thugs break free and escape via the back way of the ally.
The calvalry help Simon up and take him to their car. Simon recognises the car, it was the same one that was parked up the road as he came out of the Chronicle's front door. Simon is taken to a night club a few hours before opening.
The calvalry help Simon up and take him to their car. Simon recognises the car, it was the same one that was parked up the road as he came out of the Chronicle's front door. Simon is taken to a night club a few hours before opening.
Al: I'm Al, you know what I do, although we haven't met. You are stirring up a hornet's nest Simon. Do you think you can take on the town and win? You need help.
Simon: Thanks for rescuing me. No, I realise I can't do it alone but my boss of the media group I work for said he had a plan once I got the ball rolling.
Al: You mean Walt Graves. Yes, and we are the cavalry he alluded to. As a business, we are not happy having to pay for protection for our nightclub. The fee is much higher for us, as we can afford it. We want to stop this too.
Simon: How do you propose to do that, Al?
Simon: Thanks for rescuing me. No, I realise I can't do it alone but my boss of the media group I work for said he had a plan once I got the ball rolling.
Al: You mean Walt Graves. Yes, and we are the cavalry he alluded to. As a business, we are not happy having to pay for protection for our nightclub. The fee is much higher for us, as we can afford it. We want to stop this too.
Simon: How do you propose to do that, Al?
Al smiles: Leave it with me, Simon. All I ask is that you never come snooping around my nightclub looking for stories. I think that's the least you could do.
Simon nods: I'm not running a cheap publication, digging up dirt for the sake of it.
Al: You won't need to continue your crusade. The Daviston Chronicle can stick to the best baker in town articles from now on.
Al: You won't need to continue your crusade. The Daviston Chronicle can stick to the best baker in town articles from now on.
He is then taken home, wondering why he should stop any future exposé type artilces. He also wonders about the connection between Walt and Al.
Soon after, the major resigns and the house of cards collapses. Businesses in town are free from paying the sheriff protection and Simon doesn't have to buy a drink at the bar anymore, not that as a family man, he goes often.
He later finds out that the night club owner Al had been working on Mayor Patterson and the mayor had become a regular patron of the club. Al got some secret photographs, the sort Patterson would rather didn't become public. Not legal, but effective.
Shortly after, the Chronicles's owner Walt Greaves comes by and calls into the Chronicle's Daviston office to see Simon. Lucy brings the coffee in.
Walt: The last editor got scared and left. I knew you wouldn't, Simon. I promised the cavalry and they delivered. He pauses. The problem is you're an idealist. I have a working relationship with Al. He wanted the corrupt mayor out and he will now start taking over the protection scheme the sheriff ran. I'm a shareholder in his nightclub business so your efforts were good for my business interest.
Simon: You used me! I wondered why Al went to all that trouble just to stop being harassed for protection payments and nothing more.
Walt: Well, you can stay on and honour your agreement with Al to leave his operation alone and stay out of controversies. Or... move on. If you move on, you will get a generous relocation allowance. I'd suggest the latter as you are too straight to turn a blind eye to all this.
Simon: You're right. I have to leave. I would lose all credibility, saving local businesses only for them to be back in the same boat.
Walt: Wise move. Your replacement will start next week. Get packing. Luckily, you rented your house and didn't buy.
Walt: Well, you can stay on and honour your agreement with Al to leave his operation alone and stay out of controversies. Or... move on. If you move on, you will get a generous relocation allowance. I'd suggest the latter as you are too straight to turn a blind eye to all this.
Simon: You're right. I have to leave. I would lose all credibility, saving local businesses only for them to be back in the same boat.
Walt: Wise move. Your replacement will start next week. Get packing. Luckily, you rented your house and didn't buy.
Simon goes home and tells Hillary everything.
Hillary: We'll move back to the city. You tried your best, Simon. It's not like you can win.
Hillary: We'll move back to the city. You tried your best, Simon. It's not like you can win.
Simon: I feel a bit of an idiot being so naive as to think I could clean up the corruption.
Hillary: You're an idealist and I love you for that. She leans over and gives him a hug.
They organise a place to move to and Walt arranges a truck to take their things. The Tomkins pack up some small items and put them in their car.
Simon fought a battle but was outmaneuvered by an unseen enemy, his boss.
As they drive away, Simon realises that this world is corrupt in high places. One can't expect to expect to take it on and win.
No comments:
Post a Comment