Friday, 25 September 2026

A Pretty Pickle

Adam Lye has two young ladies at his employment who are interested in him. One is Pippa Stone, very confident and beautiful. The other is Dayna Wright, less pretty but sweet and genuine.

Dayna's supervisor has to drop some paperwork across to Adam. Dayna notices and volunteers to do it instead.

Dayna: I need a trip to the bathroom and I can drop them off on the way, as an excuse.
Adam is at his work station when Dayna drops off the paperwork.
Dayna: Hi Adam. Here's some paperwork from our department.
Adam barely looks up: Thanks Dayna.
Dayna pauses: How was your weekend Adam?

Adam stops what he's doing and swivels on his chair toward Dayna. He realises she seems to like him, although he's not particularly attracted to her. Adam decides to at least be polite.
Adam: Good thanks Dayna. And how about yours?
Dayna: Nothing much. We went for a drive as a family up to the hills and had a picnic at Bear Lake.
Adam:  It's nice up there.
Dayna: It is. She pauses. You haven't told me what you did yet.
Adam:  Oh, I went to a nightclub and had a nice time.
Dayna: That sounds cool. Did you take anyone?
Adam:  Pippa, from our sales team. 

















Pippa hears her name from a nearby workstation and comes over. She ignores Anna and talks directly to Adam.
Pippa: I couldn't help hearing my name. Still reflecting on our date night out? She then leans on his desk with a confident stare, as if to say 'What are you talking to her for'?

Adam is a little awkward by Pippa's forwardness. He glances at Dayna and her face tells a story. No doubt she's been rebuffed by many a young man simply because she isn't of cheerleader quality.
Adam:  I'll be with you in a minute Pippa. He turns to Dayna. Do you dance?
Pippa folds her arms with a superior look but is also a bit hurt at her perceived rebuff by Adam.
Dayna answers: Er..not really. I've not had much experience.
Pippa: No surprise there. Some are born to be the center of attention, others are just... the audience.

Adam feels a tad annoyed. He doesn't like Pippa's comment.
Adam: That's not a very nice thing to say Pippa.
Dayna: Oh it's fine Adam, don't worry about it. I'm sure Pippa is just being honest.
Pippa: I'm always honest, darling. That's why everyone loves me. She winks at Adam. Now Adam, about that dinner date tonight. Are we still on?
Adam: Yes, we are.
Dayna quietly: I'll just head back to my desk now.

Adam watches Dayna walk away, her shoulders slightly slumped. He feels sorry for someone judged simply by their looks and not what's inside.
Pippa notices Adam's facial expression: Now, let's talk about where we're eating. I've heard that new French place is simply divine.
Adam swivels in his chair to face her: Sounds good, Pippa.
Pippa beaming: I'll see you at six. She blows him a kiss and glides away.  

Adam is left wondering why he feels so sympathetic to Dayna. He barely knows her. Pippa, however, is already planning the evening, convinced that Adam is completely smitten with her. She checks her reflection in a small hand mirror, adjusting a stray strand of hair.

Adam returns to his paperwork. He remembers the way Dayna's eyes looked, genuine and kind, contrasted with Pippa's sharp, calculating beauty. Yet it's the external beauty of Pippa that attracts him, not the inner sweetness of Dayna.

















Adam and Pippa are eating at the restaurant. Pippa, for all her beauty and perceived confidence, is a bit insecure.
Pippa tests him out: You have an admirer in Dayna.
Adam acting naive: Do I?
Pippa: Oh please, you're not that blind. She looks at you like a puppy longing for a treat. It's almost pathetic.
Adam:  She's a nice person, Pippa.
Pippa goes in for the kill: Nice doesn't get you invited to the best parties or make people turn their heads when you walk into a room. She takes a sip of her wine, her gaze intense. You need someone with... panache. Is that what you want in a woman?
Adam:  I do. Someone with style, class and confidence.
Pippa smiles: Well, you've come to the right place. She leans closer. Me.
The rest of the evening goes pleasantly enough, and they depart to their respective homes.

Adam still lives at home with his mum Clare and one evening he is staring into nowhere.
Clare: What are you thinking about Adam?
Adam hesitates: When it comes to marriage, I fear ending up with someone I fall out of love with. How do you know when you meet the right person?
Clare: There is no perfect person out there for you. A successful marriage is about two people who put the other person first. Two people who endear themselves to each other with their kindness expressed.
Adam: When it comes to women, I find it hard to get past a pretty face.
Clare: You can soon get tired of a pretty face if the rest of the person isn't kind, thoughtful and loving.
Adam nods: That's helpful. Thank you.
Clare: Are you thinking about the Pippa that I have met a few times?
Adam:  Yes. She ticks the prettiness box, but not too many others.
Clare: Then I think you have your answer.
Adam: A pretty pickle I nearly got myself into.

Adam lets Pippa know that he wants to remain friends but nothing more. Pippa takes it rather badly and leaves work to join her father's business. 

Adam asks Dayna out and she is delighted. They get on so well. Clare gives her approval after getting to know her. 

They eventually marry and build a flat attached to Clare's house, a place for the young couple to live. Clare insists that she will live in the flat so that the newlyweds can expand the family. A grandchild hint, if ever there was one.

What do you think? Would you have made the same choice as Adam? Let us know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment