Edward Hawthorne runs out of their country home to meet his cousin Eleanor Barron. They hug.
Edward: Please, allow me to take your bags.
Eleanor: Don't you have someone to do that for you?
Edward sighs: No, we have to do some things ourselves.
Eleanor: Oh, how quaint. The car that brought Eleanor to the estate disappears down the drive.
Eleanor: Don't you have someone to do that for you?
Edward sighs: No, we have to do some things ourselves.
Eleanor: Oh, how quaint. The car that brought Eleanor to the estate disappears down the drive.
Edward: Mother had to go out unexpectedly. She will be home later. Please, come this way.
Edward leads Eleanor through the front door into the entrance hall. He points out the drawing room and they go upstairs to Eleanor's guest room.
Edward: Here it is. Our visitors' room, with a view over our private lake and gardens.
Eleanor looks around the room: It's small, but a cozy little space, isn't it?
Edward: It's not that small by our standards! I guess it's all relative to what you're used to.
Eleanor goes to the window: You call that a lake? My word. She then looks back around the room. Anyway, this will be fine for a few days.
Edward: Your en suite is through here and the walk in wardrobe to the right of it.
Eleanor smiles but decides to hold her tongue: Thank you, Edward.
Edward: Here it is. Our visitors' room, with a view over our private lake and gardens.
Eleanor looks around the room: It's small, but a cozy little space, isn't it?
Edward: It's not that small by our standards! I guess it's all relative to what you're used to.
Eleanor goes to the window: You call that a lake? My word. She then looks back around the room. Anyway, this will be fine for a few days.
Edward: Your en suite is through here and the walk in wardrobe to the right of it.
Eleanor smiles but decides to hold her tongue: Thank you, Edward.
Edward: Tea will be served in the conservatory when you come down. It's off the drawing room.
Eleanor comes down later and they have tea together.
Eleanor: I want you to come and stay with us Edward. You would love San Jorge.
Edward: Well, I do have some spare time over the next few weeks, but then things will get busy.
Eleanor: Settled then. You will return with me. I'll make sure you have a seat on the plane. First class, of course!
Edward: That would be lovely as I need a break. So how was London?
Eleanor: I had to do some work at daddy's London office. Boring. But the shopping yesterday made up for it. Then I got a lift up here in a company car.
Edward: Some company car.
Edward's mum Cybil comes home and they have a nice dinner together. In the evening, Edward takes Eleanor for a walk around the grounds.
Eleanor: So what do you do for a living, Edward?
Edward: I'm an accountant at dad's firm.
Eleanor: Oh, how... stable. I imagine it's quite predictable.
Edward: It is. It's not exactly thrilling, but it pays the bills.
Eleanor: I suppose that's what one wants from a job, isn't it? To pay the bills.
Edward: Exactly. And you?
Eleanor: I'm currently exploring some business opportunities. Daddy is always looking for new ventures.
Eleanor comes down later and they have tea together.
Eleanor: I want you to come and stay with us Edward. You would love San Jorge.
Edward: Well, I do have some spare time over the next few weeks, but then things will get busy.
Eleanor: Settled then. You will return with me. I'll make sure you have a seat on the plane. First class, of course!
Edward: That would be lovely as I need a break. So how was London?
Eleanor: I had to do some work at daddy's London office. Boring. But the shopping yesterday made up for it. Then I got a lift up here in a company car.
Edward: Some company car.
Edward's mum Cybil comes home and they have a nice dinner together. In the evening, Edward takes Eleanor for a walk around the grounds.
Eleanor: So what do you do for a living, Edward?
Edward: I'm an accountant at dad's firm.
Eleanor: Oh, how... stable. I imagine it's quite predictable.
Edward: It is. It's not exactly thrilling, but it pays the bills.
Eleanor: I suppose that's what one wants from a job, isn't it? To pay the bills.
Edward: Exactly. And you?
Eleanor: I'm currently exploring some business opportunities. Daddy is always looking for new ventures.
Over the next couple of days, Edward takes Eleanor around the countryside near his home. Then the Barron company car returns and they both head to San Jorge, via Heathrow. On arrival, the weather is warm and the skies are blue, a contrast to the cooler and, at times, cloudy days they experienced in England.
When they arrive at the mansion, Edward is amazed. Photographs did not prepare him for the splendour. Eleanor slips out of the limo as she gestures toward the mansion with a manicured hand.
Eleanor: Do try not to look so bewildered, Edward; it's simply home for us. Come along, I'll show you to your wing before the heat overcomes you.
The room is palatial, both in size and quality. Edward is speechless.
Eleanor smirks at his reaction but restrains herself: Do make yourself at home. Dinner is at seven.
Edward comes down the stairs and is warmly greeted by his aunt Catherine.
Catherine: My husband is away on business and he sends his apologies.
Edward: No problem.
Eleanor: Now, Edward, let me show you around some of the house. I'll keep it to the main rooms as showing you everything would make your head spin.
Eleanor smirks at his reaction but restrains herself: Do make yourself at home. Dinner is at seven.
Edward comes down the stairs and is warmly greeted by his aunt Catherine.
Catherine: My husband is away on business and he sends his apologies.
Edward: No problem.
Eleanor: Now, Edward, let me show you around some of the house. I'll keep it to the main rooms as showing you everything would make your head spin.
Then the three of them have a delightful meal, prepared by a chef and served by an attentive maid. After retiring to a drawing room for drinks, they chatter well into the night. Eleanor loses some of her superior attitude and along with aunt Catherine, they get to know Edward so much better.
The following day, Edward and Eleanor head down to the marina where a small crew is waiting on the family yacht. The yacht takes them along the coast, with delightful bays and small villas to be found along the coastline. Some swimming is included and they return home in the evening. They decide to have dinner in a top class restaurant.
Eleanor: Now, Edward, please tell me what you thought of the day.
Edward: It was so different to home and it was fabulous. Thank you.
Eleanor: Well, it's certainly a step up from the countryside, isn't it?
Edward: It really is.
Eleanor: Now, Edward, please tell me what you thought of the day.
Edward: It was so different to home and it was fabulous. Thank you.
Eleanor: Well, it's certainly a step up from the countryside, isn't it?
Edward: It really is.
The next morning they all enjoy breakfast together. Eleanor decides she wants to take Edward to some of the boutiques in town.
Eleanor: Get dressed, Edward. We're going shopping. Your wardrobe needs a spruce up. And don't worry, we have an account there and mum says she wants to treat you.
Edward: I can pay for my own things, Eleanor.
Eleanor laughs softly: Oh, Edward. Just accept our hospitality graciously.
Eleanor: Get dressed, Edward. We're going shopping. Your wardrobe needs a spruce up. And don't worry, we have an account there and mum says she wants to treat you.
Edward: I can pay for my own things, Eleanor.
Eleanor laughs softly: Oh, Edward. Just accept our hospitality graciously.
Edward is finding his cousin's condescending manner hard to take but decides it's only for a few days. The next day is a quiet one, Edward enjoying the pool behind the house while the ladies do some necessary business.
That night, it's just the two at home, with Aunt Catherine out with the housewives of San Jorge. They sit after dinner and Edward reflects that he will fly home tomorrow.
Eleanor: I was talking to daddy on the phone and he said you could come and work for him. He would have you trained up for corporate accountancy, a step up for you and a more lucrative position. So what do you say?
Edward is taken back, and thinks for a moment.
Edward is taken back, and thinks for a moment.
Edward: That's a generous offer, but for now, I'm happy at my dad's firm Hawthorne Enterprises, and living at home.
Eleanor: Really? You're not tempted by a better salary and a more prestigious office?
Edward: Not at the moment.
Eleanor: Suit yourself. I just thought you'd want more from life than... whatever it is you're doing now.
Edward: And what do you think my life currently is?
Eleanor: Well, you're a very nice boy, Edward, just a bit... provincial.
Edward: I love you cousin, but sometimes your manner is patronising.
Eleanor: Me? Patronising? I'm merely being honest. Really, you're so sensitive.
Edward: Perhaps. But honesty doesn't always need to be wrapped in a sneer.
Eleanor is a little defensive: I don't sneer! I simply have standards. The two of them then share a laugh and they both realise they've’ grown closer over the past few days.
Edward: Not at the moment.
Eleanor: Suit yourself. I just thought you'd want more from life than... whatever it is you're doing now.
Edward: And what do you think my life currently is?
Eleanor: Well, you're a very nice boy, Edward, just a bit... provincial.
Edward: I love you cousin, but sometimes your manner is patronising.
Eleanor: Me? Patronising? I'm merely being honest. Really, you're so sensitive.
Edward: Perhaps. But honesty doesn't always need to be wrapped in a sneer.
Eleanor is a little defensive: I don't sneer! I simply have standards. The two of them then share a laugh and they both realise they've’ grown closer over the past few days.
The limo is ready the next morning and Edward gives aunt Catherine and cousin Eleanor a big hug.
Edward: Thank you for everything. He looks sharp in his new outfit they kindly bought for him.
Edward gets home and is soon immersed in his work. However, political developments move quickly for Mr Barron. He falls out of favour in his home country. He is arrested and his assets are seized. Catherine and Eleanor leave quickly and arrive at Heathrow. Edward meets them and brings them back to the family home.
Cybil comforts her distraught sister, who is inconsolable. Edward spends time with shell shocked Eleanor.
Edward: I'm so sorry. This sudden turn of events must be devastating for you.
Eleanor: It's barbaric, Edward. Simply barbaric. To think that one day you are the pillar of society and the next, the state treats you like a common criminal. My father...he's a broken man.
Edward: Have you lost everything?
Eleanor: We do have some money safely stashed in a bank in London, but nothing like we need to live as we did.
Edward: We will do everything we can to help you both get settled here.
Eleanor: Settled? In this... this quaint little village? I can't even imagine how we'll survive without the staff.
Edward: We'll make it work. My mother is already organizing a guest wing, some rooms we had shut off but we will now open them up for you.
Eleanor sighs heavily: I suppose we have no choice. Thank you, Edward, for being... understanding.
Edward: Of course. That's what family is for. You've lost out materially but we are here for you both and nothing will take that away.
Edward gets home and is soon immersed in his work. However, political developments move quickly for Mr Barron. He falls out of favour in his home country. He is arrested and his assets are seized. Catherine and Eleanor leave quickly and arrive at Heathrow. Edward meets them and brings them back to the family home.
Cybil comforts her distraught sister, who is inconsolable. Edward spends time with shell shocked Eleanor.
Edward: I'm so sorry. This sudden turn of events must be devastating for you.
Eleanor: It's barbaric, Edward. Simply barbaric. To think that one day you are the pillar of society and the next, the state treats you like a common criminal. My father...he's a broken man.
Edward: Have you lost everything?
Eleanor: We do have some money safely stashed in a bank in London, but nothing like we need to live as we did.
Edward: We will do everything we can to help you both get settled here.
Eleanor: Settled? In this... this quaint little village? I can't even imagine how we'll survive without the staff.
Edward: We'll make it work. My mother is already organizing a guest wing, some rooms we had shut off but we will now open them up for you.
Eleanor sighs heavily: I suppose we have no choice. Thank you, Edward, for being... understanding.
Edward: Of course. That's what family is for. You've lost out materially but we are here for you both and nothing will take that away.
Aunt Catherine and cousin Eleanor live in the guest wing. Catherine is able to live modestly off the money she has and Eleanor takes a job at Hawthorne Enterprises, her uncle's business. She gradually gets off her high horse and her privileged attitude dissipates.
Edward reflects that affluence affects people but not always for the better. His superior cousin becomes more down to earth, more selfless. They both get involved in some charity work in their spare time. They come to realise there is more happiness in giving and sharing than accumulating and hoarding more than is needed.
Edward reflects that affluence affects people but not always for the better. His superior cousin becomes more down to earth, more selfless. They both get involved in some charity work in their spare time. They come to realise there is more happiness in giving and sharing than accumulating and hoarding more than is needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment