Andy: Hi Holly. Come in. You look anxious.
Holly: Thank you for always being so welcoming.
She walks in and looks around the small, basic but clean and tidy living area. It is always so orderly. You keep the place so nice.
Andy: Thanks. I can't stand being untidy. The less clutter, the easier to keep clean too. Dusting is a breeze without ornaments.
Holly: Mr Practical, as always. How's your job at the office?
Andy: I'm soon to be the head accountant of the firm. I'm getting trained up to take over when Mr Stimson retires.
Holly: Thank you for always being so welcoming.
She walks in and looks around the small, basic but clean and tidy living area. It is always so orderly. You keep the place so nice.
Andy: Thanks. I can't stand being untidy. The less clutter, the easier to keep clean too. Dusting is a breeze without ornaments.
Holly: Mr Practical, as always. How's your job at the office?
Andy: I'm soon to be the head accountant of the firm. I'm getting trained up to take over when Mr Stimson retires.
Holly spins around and gives Andy a hug. Well done. Will that require more hours?
Andy: Not really but at times it may require I stay back longer. The real issue is more responsibility and managing a team, modest as it is. How is your work at the store?
Holly: Not too busy at the moment. My manager Ivy is struggling a bit with overheads, so I'm unsure how much longer I'll be working there. That's why I may seem anxious.
Andy: I know you are often cash strapped, so maybe you need to start looking around for something else.
Holly: I have, but I can't seem to find anything that pays a decent wage. That's one thing I will say for Ivy is she pays above market rates.
Andy: Well, my sister's company is looking for an administrator. It's a small company, but the pay is decent and the hours are not too demanding. Why don't you send her your resume?
Holly: I'm only a shop assistant. I'm not sure that I could do the job.
Andy: My sister Miranda is more about potential than experience. She'd rather train someone her way than have a person who has previous experience but possibly bad habits and an attitude that they already know everything.
Holly: Well, I could do with some upskilling, and the pay would be better. She thinks for a moment about the opportunity. I'll do that. Thank you, Andy. You're always so helpful.
Andy: No problem. Now, let's go out for dinner. I'm treating you to celebrate my promotion.
They sit at a table and Andy talks about his humble background and how he has had to work hard to achieve anything. His father was disinterested, and seemingly resented his son's effort to succeed. It's as if it showed him up.
Holly: You've got a lot of drive. That's what gets you far in life.
Andy: I've always had that. I got it from my mum. Now, let's order. I'm starving.
Andy: Not really but at times it may require I stay back longer. The real issue is more responsibility and managing a team, modest as it is. How is your work at the store?
Holly: Not too busy at the moment. My manager Ivy is struggling a bit with overheads, so I'm unsure how much longer I'll be working there. That's why I may seem anxious.
Andy: I know you are often cash strapped, so maybe you need to start looking around for something else.
Holly: I have, but I can't seem to find anything that pays a decent wage. That's one thing I will say for Ivy is she pays above market rates.
Andy: Well, my sister's company is looking for an administrator. It's a small company, but the pay is decent and the hours are not too demanding. Why don't you send her your resume?
Holly: I'm only a shop assistant. I'm not sure that I could do the job.
Andy: My sister Miranda is more about potential than experience. She'd rather train someone her way than have a person who has previous experience but possibly bad habits and an attitude that they already know everything.
Holly: Well, I could do with some upskilling, and the pay would be better. She thinks for a moment about the opportunity. I'll do that. Thank you, Andy. You're always so helpful.
Andy: No problem. Now, let's go out for dinner. I'm treating you to celebrate my promotion.
They sit at a table and Andy talks about his humble background and how he has had to work hard to achieve anything. His father was disinterested, and seemingly resented his son's effort to succeed. It's as if it showed him up.
Holly: You've got a lot of drive. That's what gets you far in life.
Andy: I've always had that. I got it from my mum. Now, let's order. I'm starving.
They both order their food. While waiting, Holly looks out the window. She sees a luxury car pull up and a man get out. He is wearing a sharp suit and looks very affluent. She is suddenly flushed faced and wanting the floor to swallow her up. Andy looks out the window to see what caused Holly's awkwardness. The man picks up a take out meal and returns the way he came.
Holly: Yes. Everything's fine.
She starts to compose herself and the redness of cheeks starts to disipate.
Andy: You looked a bit shaken. Do you know that man?
Holly: He reminded me of someone, that's all. Nothing to worry about.
Andy feels that he just met the stranger in Holly. A part of her she doesn't share with him. He continues eating but as an open person, he finds that attitude frustrating. You can trust me Holly. You know that.
Holly: I do. I just have a hard time trusting people in general. I've been let down a few times in the past.
Andy: Well, we've been friends for a while. I've never let you down.
Holly: No, you haven't. Thank you.
Andy: I know nothing about your upbringing.
Holly: Not much to know, really. I grew up in a small town far from here. Uneventful. So now we have finished eating, shall we leave? If you could drop me off at my apartment, I've got work tomorrow and I am feeling tired.
Holly: He reminded me of someone, that's all. Nothing to worry about.
Andy feels that he just met the stranger in Holly. A part of her she doesn't share with him. He continues eating but as an open person, he finds that attitude frustrating. You can trust me Holly. You know that.
Holly: I do. I just have a hard time trusting people in general. I've been let down a few times in the past.
Andy: Well, we've been friends for a while. I've never let you down.
Holly: No, you haven't. Thank you.
Andy: I know nothing about your upbringing.
Holly: Not much to know, really. I grew up in a small town far from here. Uneventful. So now we have finished eating, shall we leave? If you could drop me off at my apartment, I've got work tomorrow and I am feeling tired.
Andy obliges and drops her off. He heads home, feeling that his pressing on her past seems to have cut the evening short. He wonders what Holly's past was like but doesn't have much detail. Is her family an embarrassment? Did she do things she wants to put behind her?
Holly doesn't answer his texts over the next few days, so Andy decides to make a surprise visit, the sort Holly normally does to him. He knocks at her apartment door and keeps out of sight of the peep hole.
Holly calls out nervously: Who is it?
Andy: It's me, Andy.
Holly: What are you doing here, unannounced?
Andy: Let me in so we can talk.
Holly doesn't answer his texts over the next few days, so Andy decides to make a surprise visit, the sort Holly normally does to him. He knocks at her apartment door and keeps out of sight of the peep hole.
Holly calls out nervously: Who is it?
Andy: It's me, Andy.
Holly: What are you doing here, unannounced?
Andy: Let me in so we can talk.
The door opens and Holly steps back to let Andy in. She seems a little down. They walk into the tiny living area and sit on the sofa.
Andy: What's going on Holly? Since our meal out, you have ignored my texts. What did I do wrong?
Holly: Nothing. You've done nothing wrong. I've just been having a bad few days.
Andy: Tell me. I'm your friend.
Holly: It's..well..I haven't been straight with you.
Andy: Friendships are based on trust. Trust me! Please!
Holly: Okay. Can you take me on a drive and all will be revealed.
Andy: Very well.
Andy: What's going on Holly? Since our meal out, you have ignored my texts. What did I do wrong?
Holly: Nothing. You've done nothing wrong. I've just been having a bad few days.
Andy: Tell me. I'm your friend.
Holly: It's..well..I haven't been straight with you.
Andy: Friendships are based on trust. Trust me! Please!
Holly: Okay. Can you take me on a drive and all will be revealed.
Andy: Very well.
They drive out into the hills overlooking the city. The houses get increasingly posh and Andy wonders what's it about as Holly is quiet and is deep in thought. They reach impressive gates and with a remote control, they open and they drive up to the front door. They get out of the car and Andy is confused. The front door opens and a woman comes out.
Mrs Holt: Holly! They meet and hug. Andy stands back with his jaw just inches off the premium cobblestones.
Holly: This is my friend Andy.
Mrs Holt: Lovely to meet you. She shakes his hand warmly. Your dad is away on business, as you know, Holly. Anyway, come in.
Holly: This is my friend Andy.
Mrs Holt: Lovely to meet you. She shakes his hand warmly. Your dad is away on business, as you know, Holly. Anyway, come in.
They sit in one of the lounges and tea is served by a maid. Mrs Holt insists Andy call her Monique. Holly and Monique catch up while Andy takes it all in. He walks over to the window toward the back area, complete with a cascading swimming pool. He returns and sits quietly.
When Monique excuses herself to arrange some food for the maid to prepare, Andy leans over.
Andy: You've got some explaining to do.
Holly attempts a smile but it is barely visible on her lips. Later, she replies.
Holly attempts a smile but it is barely visible on her lips. Later, she replies.
After some food is served, Holly leans over to her mum and asks for a moment alone with Andy. She departs with a knowing nod.
Holly: This is the childhood I lived. I had friends, but were they real friends? Were they friends because of what my lifestyle was? It may be hard for you to understand Andy, but that doubt made it hard for me to trust others, and I didn't develop close relationships.
Andy: I hadn't thought about that. I just thought how lucky the children of wealthy parents were.
Holly: It's not what it seems. School friends treated me differently and some were just intimidated, especially boys. They must have felt they could never meet my expectations, or that of my parents.
Andy: At least you had a home life where you could feel at peace.
Holly: If only. My dad has high expectations for me that stressed me and I struggle with self confidence. That man at the restaurant? My older brother. He's in the family business and doing well.
Andy: So what about the life you are currently living?
Holly: I told my parents I needed to get out of the life I knew and live a simple one. A life where I could find people who accepted me for who I am, not what my family is. Dad was upset, but mum was sad yet sympathetic. My brother loves me but lets me know how annoyed he is, my not taking advantage of my blessed situation.
Andy: So, where does this leave us? I know we are just friends, but I have always accepted you for who you are.
Holly: Exactly, and that's why I did what I did. To find someone who liked me for being me.
Holly: This is the childhood I lived. I had friends, but were they real friends? Were they friends because of what my lifestyle was? It may be hard for you to understand Andy, but that doubt made it hard for me to trust others, and I didn't develop close relationships.
Andy: I hadn't thought about that. I just thought how lucky the children of wealthy parents were.
Holly: It's not what it seems. School friends treated me differently and some were just intimidated, especially boys. They must have felt they could never meet my expectations, or that of my parents.
Andy: At least you had a home life where you could feel at peace.
Holly: If only. My dad has high expectations for me that stressed me and I struggle with self confidence. That man at the restaurant? My older brother. He's in the family business and doing well.
Andy: So what about the life you are currently living?
Holly: I told my parents I needed to get out of the life I knew and live a simple one. A life where I could find people who accepted me for who I am, not what my family is. Dad was upset, but mum was sad yet sympathetic. My brother loves me but lets me know how annoyed he is, my not taking advantage of my blessed situation.
Andy: So, where does this leave us? I know we are just friends, but I have always accepted you for who you are.
Holly: Exactly, and that's why I did what I did. To find someone who liked me for being me.
Monique returns: Are you two staying the night?
Holly: No mum. I just wanted Andy to...understand my situation.
Monique: You never stay, but that's fine. And what do you do, Andy.
Andy: I'm an accountant.
Holly: Just promoted to a head accountant, as Holly tries to reassure her mum that Andy is capable and responsible.
Monique: That's nice Andy. And are you two...you know?
Holly: Mum, we are just friends and he's the best friend I've ever had.
Monique looks at Andy intently. Well, be kind to her Andy. She's a sensitive soul, is Holly.
Holly: No mum. I just wanted Andy to...understand my situation.
Monique: You never stay, but that's fine. And what do you do, Andy.
Andy: I'm an accountant.
Holly: Just promoted to a head accountant, as Holly tries to reassure her mum that Andy is capable and responsible.
Monique: That's nice Andy. And are you two...you know?
Holly: Mum, we are just friends and he's the best friend I've ever had.
Monique looks at Andy intently. Well, be kind to her Andy. She's a sensitive soul, is Holly.
Andy and Holly now draw closer, the air cleared between them. The family slowly warm to him and he is even offered a job in the Holt empire, which Andy politely declines for the time being. Holly, however, applies and is accepted by Andy's sister, Miranda, for the administrator job. And no, as he told Holly, he didn't pull any strings to get her the job.
Holly's brother, Mike and his wife Jenny even take the two on holiday with them. That usually involves enjoying a nice hotel and boat trips on the family launch. One evening, the night before returning home, Andy and Holly sit at a small restaurant by the harbour.
Andy: I do love all this luxury, but what I really treasure is time with you. I'm happy to go home to my small apartment and for us continuing our journey together.
Holly: Me too. I now fully trust you and your values. You know what really matters.
Andy: I think it's time we formalised our friendship. I'd like to court you Holly, with a view to marrying you. If the courtship does its job, then we have a future together.
Holly smiles: That's all I want. A future with someone who loves me for who I am.
Holly: Me too. I now fully trust you and your values. You know what really matters.
Andy: I think it's time we formalised our friendship. I'd like to court you Holly, with a view to marrying you. If the courtship does its job, then we have a future together.
Holly smiles: That's all I want. A future with someone who loves me for who I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment