Darren is called into Tom Harding's office before departure.
Tom: A Brazilian company that we have dealt with before is interested in more of our product. The Palácio de Santa Clara hotel in São Paulo is ideal to wine and dine Luis Souza.
Darren: I know him well and we get on so I'm optimistic.
Tom: You will be there four days in total. You refuse to take holidays so once the contract is signed, you can relax a bit. I want you back refreshed.
Darren: Really Tom? I'm good.
Tom: It's not a request, but an order, so pack you bag and off you go.
Tom reaches the Palácio de Santa Clara and checks in. The business arrangement with Luis Souza is concluded within two days and Darren now has some time on his hands. He heads down to the hotel pool to relax as the boss ordered. While there, a woman approaches from across the pool.
Venus: Tudo bem?
Darren: Tudo ótimo. But I'm running out of Portuguese now.
Venus: No problem. I speak English but not good. I want to get better.
Darren: It sounds fine.
Venus: I see you are alone. I am Venus.
Darren: Darren.
Venus: Don't you like the water? Please join me.
Darren hesitiates then gets up off his lounger and slides into the water.
Darren: So are you having a vacation?
Venus: Yes, a few days. I live in the north, Belém do Pará. I have been doing a modelling shoot so want to relax before returning home. It's lovely, but I like company. Perhaps we can dine together tonight at the hotel restaurant? You like?
Darren hesitates: Of course, why not? He too, likes company, but with a model? One meal can't hurt he reasons. 7pm?
Venus: So early? Thinks for a moment. Okay. In Brazil we eat a little later than that, but that's fine. Then with a sense of fun: Race you across the pool. Off they set and before long they are really getting on very well.
Meanwhile, back home, Darren's love interest Cynthia Topliss is sitting at home, wondering how her Darren is doing. They have sent texts but she wants to hear his voice. She phones around 6.30pm (Brazilian time).
Cynthia: Hi Darren! How's São Paulo treating you? How was the meeting with Mr Souza?
Darren: Great Cynthia. Everything is signed and sealed. I'm just having a little relax now.
Cynthia: Oh, a little relax? That's good. I miss you. When exactly are you coming back again?
Darren: In two days. I've just been swimming. I might do some sightseeing tomorrow but the hotel is so nice..I'll see.
Cynthia then talks about what she is doing and the time is moving on. Darren decides not to mention Venus.
Darren: Look, I have a reservation at the hotel restaurant, so have to go, but I really enjoyed chatting. Love you.
Cynthia: Love you too darling. Have a lovely evening.
Cynthia: Hi Darren! How's São Paulo treating you? How was the meeting with Mr Souza?
Darren: Great Cynthia. Everything is signed and sealed. I'm just having a little relax now.
Cynthia: Oh, a little relax? That's good. I miss you. When exactly are you coming back again?
Darren: In two days. I've just been swimming. I might do some sightseeing tomorrow but the hotel is so nice..I'll see.
Cynthia then talks about what she is doing and the time is moving on. Darren decides not to mention Venus.
Darren: Look, I have a reservation at the hotel restaurant, so have to go, but I really enjoyed chatting. Love you.
Cynthia: Love you too darling. Have a lovely evening.
Darren hangs up and feels a pang of guilt but why worry Cynthia over nothing? He gets ready and goes to the dining room.
Soon Venus arrives, looking...er..very nice. They are seated and the atmosphere is quite romantic with soft music and lighting to match. Darren smiles at Venus and she returns the smile with interest.
Venus: You are on time. I like that.
Darren: A habit of mine.
Venus: Not a habit we have in Brazil but to me, it is respectful.
Venus: Not a habit we have in Brazil but to me, it is respectful.
They eat and chat and soon the time passes.
They get up from their seats and end up in the lobby. Darren insists on paying for the meal and chivalrously offers to escort Venus to her room.
Venus: Thank you. My room is 402. They enter the lift and are soon at her suite door. You've been a real gentleman, Darren. Thank you. I'm doing an excursion around São Paulo tomorrow. I'd love some company to enjoy it with.
Darren thinks: I'd like that. I usually never have the time to see the sights on a business trip.
Venus: Then it's agreed. Now, in Brazil, it is customary to kiss good night.
Darren leans forward and gives Venus a peck on the cheek.
Venus: Thank you. See you tomorrow at 9am in the lobby for our sightseeing tour. I thought you'd come, so I took liberty of getting you ticket too.
Darren is surprised at her assuming he would come: I'll fix you up for that.
Venus: No, it's my treat.
Darren thinks: I'd like that. I usually never have the time to see the sights on a business trip.
Venus: Then it's agreed. Now, in Brazil, it is customary to kiss good night.
Darren leans forward and gives Venus a peck on the cheek.
Venus: Thank you. See you tomorrow at 9am in the lobby for our sightseeing tour. I thought you'd come, so I took liberty of getting you ticket too.
Darren is surprised at her assuming he would come: I'll fix you up for that.
Venus: No, it's my treat.
The next day, Venus turns up looking a million dollars. The tour goes well, with Venus being very friendly and sitting very close between stops. When back at the hotel, they agree to meet and eat at 8pm this time. Darren heads to the pool and then back to his room, to have a shower and get dressed for dinner. At the meal, Darren decides to dig deeper.
Darren: So, you haven't told me about the romantic side of your life.
Venus pauses, then smiles: I am currently unattached. And you?
Darren: When I return home. I plan to ask my girlfriend, Cynthia to marry me. He opens his phone and shows Venus pictures of them together. Venus' expression is reflective and she is ill at ease.
Darren: Is there a problem? Venus avoids eye contact and looks distantly across the room. He puts his hand on Venus'. What is it?
Venus: Memories, not good ones. They continue the meal and then follow the same ritual but with a muted tone. They return to room 402 and they stand outside.
Darren: I'm sorry I made you upset. Do you want to talk?
Darren: So, you haven't told me about the romantic side of your life.
Venus pauses, then smiles: I am currently unattached. And you?
Darren: When I return home. I plan to ask my girlfriend, Cynthia to marry me. He opens his phone and shows Venus pictures of them together. Venus' expression is reflective and she is ill at ease.
Darren: Is there a problem? Venus avoids eye contact and looks distantly across the room. He puts his hand on Venus'. What is it?
Venus: Memories, not good ones. They continue the meal and then follow the same ritual but with a muted tone. They return to room 402 and they stand outside.
Darren: I'm sorry I made you upset. Do you want to talk?
Without speaking, Venus walks into the suite and the leaves the door open behind her. Darren pauses, then follows. Venus produces a glass of wine and they sit in silence for a few minutes.
Venus: I was engaged to a man and just before we were to be married, I found out he'd been cheating on me. It broke my heart. Seeing your photos of you and Cynthia brought it back to me. She then looks in Darren's eyes. You must be faithful to her.
Darren thinks for a moment: I'm sorry for your pain. I want to do what's right but as someone once famously said "The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak".
Venus: I don't want Cynthia to feel what I went through.
Darren: What makes you so sure that we would have...you know?
Venus suddenly stands: I can't say, but it's best you leave now.
Darren also stands: What's going on Venus?
Venus: Please, go.
Venus: I was engaged to a man and just before we were to be married, I found out he'd been cheating on me. It broke my heart. Seeing your photos of you and Cynthia brought it back to me. She then looks in Darren's eyes. You must be faithful to her.
Darren thinks for a moment: I'm sorry for your pain. I want to do what's right but as someone once famously said "The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak".
Venus: I don't want Cynthia to feel what I went through.
Darren: What makes you so sure that we would have...you know?
Venus suddenly stands: I can't say, but it's best you leave now.
Darren also stands: What's going on Venus?
Venus: Please, go.
Darren returns to his room and sits. His phone was turned off during the meal and when he turns it on he sees missed calls from Cynthia. He calls her back.
Darren: Hi honey. How are you?
Cynthia: Fine. Why is your phone turned off?
Darren: I was at..well my mistake sorry.
They chat and look forward to being reunited.
Darren packs the following morning but is thinking about Venus and the strange reaction. Understandable to a point, but also mysterious. He goes to check out and takes a taxi to the airport.
On arrival home, he reunites with Cynthia and then goes to see his boss Tom Harding.
Tom: Well done, Darren. How was the relax?
Darren:: Er...fine. Uneventful. Poolside and a city tour.
Tom: You didn't mind being alone? He asks with a look of suspicion.
Darren: Company certainly adds to any experience. Darren is now scrutinising Tom's face.
Tom is suddenly awkward: Glad you're back.
Darren: Can we come to your place tonight?
Tom: For dinner?
Darren: That would be nice.
Darren: Hi honey. How are you?
Cynthia: Fine. Why is your phone turned off?
Darren: I was at..well my mistake sorry.
They chat and look forward to being reunited.
Darren packs the following morning but is thinking about Venus and the strange reaction. Understandable to a point, but also mysterious. He goes to check out and takes a taxi to the airport.
On arrival home, he reunites with Cynthia and then goes to see his boss Tom Harding.
Tom: Well done, Darren. How was the relax?
Darren:: Er...fine. Uneventful. Poolside and a city tour.
Tom: You didn't mind being alone? He asks with a look of suspicion.
Darren: Company certainly adds to any experience. Darren is now scrutinising Tom's face.
Tom is suddenly awkward: Glad you're back.
Darren: Can we come to your place tonight?
Tom: For dinner?
Darren: That would be nice.
Darren and Cynthia arrive at 6pm and are ushered into the lounge. Drinks are offered and Tom stands by the fireplace, whisky in hand. Then Tom's wife Mabel joins them.
Darren: We have an announcement. Last night I proposed to Cynthia, and she accepted.
Mabel: Oh, how wonderful. She runs over and hugs them both. Tom comes over for a handshake and returns to the fireplace with a perplexed look on his face.
Mabel: Oh, how wonderful. She runs over and hugs them both. Tom comes over for a handshake and returns to the fireplace with a perplexed look on his face.
Tom: So what brought this on? I mean it seems out of the blue, just back from a trip and this?
Darren: On the business trip, I realised that I wanted Cynthia to be my partner in life.
Tom: I see. He looks out the window and across the garden.
Cynthia: I know dad that you have never been that keen on Darren as your son in law, but I love him.
Mabel: Of course, Cynthia. We are both happy for you. Your happines is what counts, isn't that right Tom?
Tom awkwardly: Absolutely.
Darren thinks for a moment, but realises the story with Venus he will never get to the bottom of. Was it a casual meeting up? He looks at Tom. He wouldn't have would he? Did he want me to fail? Nah. He turns to Cynthia and they smile, then a sweet kiss.
Mabel: Don't just stand there Tom, get out the bubbly.
Mabel: Don't just stand there Tom, get out the bubbly.
What do you think? Was the samba with Venus a coincidence or a set up? Let us know in the comments.


No comments:
Post a Comment