Herbie looks across at the silhouette in the shadowy, damp street. He then sees her face and realises it's a young lady female and wonders what she is doing out alone in the evening dusk in misty rain.
Herbie approaches: Are you okay?
Coco jumps in surprise, spinning around with a sharp, defensive look. Her eyes are wide and wild, scanning for an exit: Who the hell are you? Go away!
Herbie: Didn't mean to startle you. I just want to see if I can help you in any way.
Coco clutches her thin, oversized hoodie tighter around her chest, the fabric damp: Help? I don't need help from some stranger. Just keep walking and don't follow me, okay?
Herbie holds up his hands in a peaceful gesture, keeping a respectful distance to show he isn't a threat. He notices how she's shivering, her small frame trembling: I was just heading to the diner over there to get some food. I won't follow you but if you want something to eat, then follow me in and I'll make sure you get a feed. Something hot to warm you up. It's up to you.
Coco glares at him, her cheeks flushing with a mix of shame and hunger, though she refuses to look him in the eye. She pauses, her resolve wavering as the thought of hot food.
Herbie takes a seat and notices Coco standing outside, looking grim. He beckons her in and she responds, slumping defensively in the seat opposite him.
The waitress arrives: Are you two oderin' together or just sharing a table?
Herbie: We're together. I'll have the bacon and eggs with hash browns. And you?
Coco looks at the menu, her stomach letting out a loud rumble: I... I want the pancakes. With the berries.
The waitress: Do you want fries too?
Herbie: No thanks. He then looks at Coco, the first time he's really seen her face. It's a pretty one. I'm Herbie by the way and you are?
Coco: What's it to you? Don't get all creepy on me.
Herbie: It's a minimum politeness to share names.
Coco: I'm Coco.
They eat in silence, Coco devouring the pancakes with indecent haste. She looks at the menu boards above the serving area with a look of longing.
Herbie: Anything else you'd like?
Coco: You paying? He nods. Waffles then.
Herbie signals the waitress and the waffles soon arrive. Herbie finishes eating and looks at Coco devour her second course.
Herbie: Where are you going from here?
Coco: What's it to you?
Herbie: Just wondering if you had a place to stay. You can't just wander the streets in the rain. Besides, there are people who may take advantage of you.
Coco: Like you? I knew you had a reason for being kind to me.
Herbie: It's not like that. Look, I'm going now. You clearly don't trust my motives and to a point I understand that. Anyway, I'm going home.
Herbie pays at the counter and pulls his hood over his head as he walks out into the wet evening. He doesn't look back. Coco realises she is now alone and facing a cold night outside, so gets up from her seat and follows Herbie into the cold night air: Excuse me! Herbie turns around. You didn't even have the courtesy to say goodbye!
Herbie: You didn't have the courtesy to thank me for the food I bought you. You questioned my motives and made no attempt to engage with me.
Coco: Well, you didn't have to react like that. She pauses, looks at the ground and then looks up at him, her defensive wall finally cracking. She looks truly terrified. I do need somewhere to crash for tonight?
Herbie: With a creep?
Coco: Shut up! You're not a creep! She looks at him with a plea for help. Please, just for tonight.
Herbie: Okay then. Just for one night.
They walk home quietly and Herbie isn't impressed with Coco's personal hygiene.
Herbie: I've got some clothing and bedwear that my sister leaves here for when she visits. You can borrow those and sleep in the spare room. You need a hot shower first, so you will have to strip off in the bathroom and put your clothes in the basket I'll leave outside the door. I'll wash and dry your dirty clothes so you can have something to wear.
Herbie: Anything else you'd like?
Coco: You paying? He nods. Waffles then.
Herbie signals the waitress and the waffles soon arrive. Herbie finishes eating and looks at Coco devour her second course.
Herbie: Where are you going from here?
Coco: What's it to you?
Herbie: Just wondering if you had a place to stay. You can't just wander the streets in the rain. Besides, there are people who may take advantage of you.
Coco: Like you? I knew you had a reason for being kind to me.
Herbie: It's not like that. Look, I'm going now. You clearly don't trust my motives and to a point I understand that. Anyway, I'm going home.
Herbie pays at the counter and pulls his hood over his head as he walks out into the wet evening. He doesn't look back. Coco realises she is now alone and facing a cold night outside, so gets up from her seat and follows Herbie into the cold night air: Excuse me! Herbie turns around. You didn't even have the courtesy to say goodbye!
Herbie: You didn't have the courtesy to thank me for the food I bought you. You questioned my motives and made no attempt to engage with me.
Coco: Well, you didn't have to react like that. She pauses, looks at the ground and then looks up at him, her defensive wall finally cracking. She looks truly terrified. I do need somewhere to crash for tonight?
Herbie: With a creep?
Coco: Shut up! You're not a creep! She looks at him with a plea for help. Please, just for tonight.
Herbie: Okay then. Just for one night.
They walk home quietly and Herbie isn't impressed with Coco's personal hygiene.
Herbie: I've got some clothing and bedwear that my sister leaves here for when she visits. You can borrow those and sleep in the spare room. You need a hot shower first, so you will have to strip off in the bathroom and put your clothes in the basket I'll leave outside the door. I'll wash and dry your dirty clothes so you can have something to wear.
She nods slowly, takes the bedwear and enters the shower. She feels a sense of warmth that she hasn't felt in months. Herbie makes some tea and waits for her to come out of the shower. When she finally does, she looks small and vulnerable.
Herbie: Feel better?
Coco nods and then looks at the tea. She takes a sip and feels a warmth in her chest. She looks at Herbie and for the first time, she smiles but says nothing.
Herbie: I'm not wanting to pry but if there is anything you want to say about how you got into this predicament, then maybe I can give some advice or just be a listening ear if that helps.
Coco thinks about how she left home and the fight she had with her parents. She thinks about the loneliness. She looks at Herbie: I'm just not ready yet.
Herbie: Well drink your tea and we can retire for the night.
The next morning arrives and Herbie comes down to breakfast. Coco is staring out the window, down the damp street, but the rain has passed.
Herbie: Sleep well?
Coco: Yeah. I did thanks.
Herbie: So, what are your plans for today? Coco shrugs her shoulders apathetically. Look Coco, sit down and let's talk. I can't let you walk out of here with no idea where you are going. How did you get into this situation?
Herbie: Feel better?
Coco nods and then looks at the tea. She takes a sip and feels a warmth in her chest. She looks at Herbie and for the first time, she smiles but says nothing.
Herbie: I'm not wanting to pry but if there is anything you want to say about how you got into this predicament, then maybe I can give some advice or just be a listening ear if that helps.
Coco thinks about how she left home and the fight she had with her parents. She thinks about the loneliness. She looks at Herbie: I'm just not ready yet.
Herbie: Well drink your tea and we can retire for the night.
The next morning arrives and Herbie comes down to breakfast. Coco is staring out the window, down the damp street, but the rain has passed.
Herbie: Sleep well?
Coco: Yeah. I did thanks.
Herbie: So, what are your plans for today? Coco shrugs her shoulders apathetically. Look Coco, sit down and let's talk. I can't let you walk out of here with no idea where you are going. How did you get into this situation?
Coco: My parents were always on to me. They didn't understand. So one day I just... left.
Herbie: You're only young! Won't they be worried about you?
Coco: Probably. But at least they will have me out of their hair.
Herbie: You're only young! Won't they be worried about you?
Coco: Probably. But at least they will have me out of their hair.
Herbie looks at her and feels a wave of pity. He knows how it feels to be misunderstood. He looks at her and smiles: Well, maybe we can figure out a way to get you back home.
Coco face falls: No way.
Herbie: If you go out that door and something terrible happens to you, I will feel like I failed you. Why don't I get a youth worker to come around and have a chat?
Coco: No! Please, no.
Herbie: Okay, okay. We'll leave it for now.Coco looks at Herbie and feels a sense of gratitude she hasn't felt for anyone: Can I stay here a little longer?
Coco face falls: No way.
Herbie: If you go out that door and something terrible happens to you, I will feel like I failed you. Why don't I get a youth worker to come around and have a chat?
Coco: No! Please, no.
Herbie: Okay, okay. We'll leave it for now.Coco looks at Herbie and feels a sense of gratitude she hasn't felt for anyone: Can I stay here a little longer?
Herbie: Okay. It's the weekend so I'm home for two days. But this is only putting things off. In two days time if you leave, then what?
Coco: I don't know.
Herbie: You have two days to think about it.
The weekend passes quickly. They go for a walk in a reserve nearby one day and play card games the other. Then Sunday evening arrives.
Herbie: Well, tomorrow I'm back to work, so what are your plans Coco?
Coco: I'll be on my way I guess.
Herbie: Can I at least ring your parents and say you're safe? That's the least they deserve for raising you. They may even be prepared to soften their attitude toward you.
Coco: I guess so. Then, with a fearful tone: But don't tell them where I am. Herbie nods and gets the number.
Coco: I don't know.
Herbie: You have two days to think about it.
The weekend passes quickly. They go for a walk in a reserve nearby one day and play card games the other. Then Sunday evening arrives.
Herbie: Well, tomorrow I'm back to work, so what are your plans Coco?
Coco: I'll be on my way I guess.
Herbie: Can I at least ring your parents and say you're safe? That's the least they deserve for raising you. They may even be prepared to soften their attitude toward you.
Coco: I guess so. Then, with a fearful tone: But don't tell them where I am. Herbie nods and gets the number.
Herbie: Hello Mrs Greaves. I met up with Coco and wanted to let you know she is safe. She breaks down sobbing, unable to talk.
Mr. Greaves takes the line: Who is this?
Herbie: I'm Herbie and your daughter is safe and well.
Mr. Greaves takes the line: Who is this?
Herbie: I'm Herbie and your daughter is safe and well.
Mr. Greaves: Where is she? We'll come over and pick her up.
Herbie: She's not quite ready for that.
Mr. Greaves: Who the hell are you to decide that? Give her the phone! Herbie hands the phone over to Coco and she takes it reluctantly.
Coco: Hi.
Mr. Greaves: Where are you? We'll come get you now.
Coco: Not yet. Please. Let me stay a few more days. I need to think.
Mr. Greaves: Think about what? You just run away and say nothing? Your mother is sick with worry.
Coco: Please, just leave me alone for a bit. I need more time to think. You...you were suffocating me.
Mr. Greaves hesitates: We'll talk about that when you come home. We are prepared to sort this out, maybe some compromise is needed. His voice starts trembling. We just want you back.
Coco: Oh dad, if you let me have more freedom...then that's all I ask for.
The parents collect Coco and they go home together.
Herbie gets a call later from the parents, thanking him for helping. Coco sends a thank you card as well, with some money to show appreciation for his generosity, which she wanted to compensate him for. After that, it went quiet. Still, Herbie knows he was right in reaching out that evening. It could have saved her from all sorts of trouble and the happy ending was the icing on the cake.
Mr. Greaves: Where are you? We'll come get you now.
Coco: Not yet. Please. Let me stay a few more days. I need to think.
Mr. Greaves: Think about what? You just run away and say nothing? Your mother is sick with worry.
Coco: Please, just leave me alone for a bit. I need more time to think. You...you were suffocating me.
Mr. Greaves hesitates: We'll talk about that when you come home. We are prepared to sort this out, maybe some compromise is needed. His voice starts trembling. We just want you back.
Coco: Oh dad, if you let me have more freedom...then that's all I ask for.
The parents collect Coco and they go home together.
Herbie gets a call later from the parents, thanking him for helping. Coco sends a thank you card as well, with some money to show appreciation for his generosity, which she wanted to compensate him for. After that, it went quiet. Still, Herbie knows he was right in reaching out that evening. It could have saved her from all sorts of trouble and the happy ending was the icing on the cake.

No comments:
Post a Comment