Rick: Hi mum, I'm home.
Linda: Finally, I've been waiting ages for you to get back from work. Dinner's getting cold.
She pats the dining chair seat beside her. Sit with me while we eat. I made your favorite. Rick sits next to her and enjoys the meal.
Rick: Sorry I'm late. Mandy at work needed a lift home and it was more out of my way that I expected.
Linda stiffens slightly at the mention of Mandy's name: Mandy? She forces a smile and retreats a little. That was nice of you, sweetheart. But you really shouldn't go out of your way for coworkers, they'll start taking advantage of you.
Rick: She invited me into her apartment for a drink but I said I had to get home.
Linda stiffens: Did you now? She takes a slow sip of wine. That was... thoughtful of you. Though I don't know why some girl would invite a man she barely knows into her apartment. Sounds rather... forward, don't you think? You're too sweet for your own good sometimes. People might... misinterpret your kindness.
Rick: We have the same lunch time break and she likes to come sit with me. She does know me quite well.
Linda: Does she? And tell me, darling, what exactly does this... Mandy know about you?
Rick: Well, I haven't told her everything there is to know, but she seems very keen to get to know me.
Linda stiffens: Did you now? She takes a slow sip of wine. That was... thoughtful of you. Though I don't know why some girl would invite a man she barely knows into her apartment. Sounds rather... forward, don't you think? You're too sweet for your own good sometimes. People might... misinterpret your kindness.
Rick: We have the same lunch time break and she likes to come sit with me. She does know me quite well.
Linda: Does she? And tell me, darling, what exactly does this... Mandy know about you?
Rick: Well, I haven't told her everything there is to know, but she seems very keen to get to know me.
He hesitates, then opens up about something that frustrates him. I haven't told you before about Mandy because you always seem unhappy if I mention a girl.
Linda: Unhappy? Don't be silly, darling. I just know what girls are like these days, always looking for a man to take advantage...I mean take care of them. She pats his knee. You're my special boy, Rick. I just don't want to see you get hurt by someone who doesn't appreciate you like I do.
Rick: I appreciate your love and care. I've told Mandy that you are the best mum. Linda smiles. Her father owns a nice restaurant in town, The Willows and she has invited me to join her for a meal. I said yes and it's tomorrow night after work....I hope you don't mind mum.
Linda maintains the perfect maternal smile: The Willows? How... lovely. Though I do hope this... this Mandy understands how important family time is. Some girls these days expect men to drop everything for them. But go, enjoy your little dinner. Just... be careful, sweetheart. Some young ladies often expect more than just pleasant company.
Rick: Her dad will be in the restaurant working, so nothing to worry about there.
Linda: Oh, well that's... reassuring. Just remember, darling, no matter how fancy the restaurant or how pretty the girl, beauty is only skin deep. Make sure you get to know her well before giving your heart away.
Rick pats his mother's hand: I will mum.
The following night Rick and Mandy are sitting together at the restaurant. Mandy's dad comes over and introduces himself. They order and her dad goes back to the kitchen.
Linda: Unhappy? Don't be silly, darling. I just know what girls are like these days, always looking for a man to take advantage...I mean take care of them. She pats his knee. You're my special boy, Rick. I just don't want to see you get hurt by someone who doesn't appreciate you like I do.
Rick: I appreciate your love and care. I've told Mandy that you are the best mum. Linda smiles. Her father owns a nice restaurant in town, The Willows and she has invited me to join her for a meal. I said yes and it's tomorrow night after work....I hope you don't mind mum.
Linda maintains the perfect maternal smile: The Willows? How... lovely. Though I do hope this... this Mandy understands how important family time is. Some girls these days expect men to drop everything for them. But go, enjoy your little dinner. Just... be careful, sweetheart. Some young ladies often expect more than just pleasant company.
Rick: Her dad will be in the restaurant working, so nothing to worry about there.
Linda: Oh, well that's... reassuring. Just remember, darling, no matter how fancy the restaurant or how pretty the girl, beauty is only skin deep. Make sure you get to know her well before giving your heart away.
Rick pats his mother's hand: I will mum.
The following night Rick and Mandy are sitting together at the restaurant. Mandy's dad comes over and introduces himself. They order and her dad goes back to the kitchen.
Mandy: I'm glad you agreed to come. Your mother didn't mind, did she?
Rick: No, she's fine about it. But not said by Rick with much conviction.
Mandy reaches across the table to squeeze Rick's hand, her grip warm and reassuring: You're a terrible liar, you know that?
Rick: No, she's fine about it. But not said by Rick with much conviction.
Mandy reaches across the table to squeeze Rick's hand, her grip warm and reassuring: You're a terrible liar, you know that?
Her laughter is soft as she leans in closer: Tell me about her, I want to understand what makes her tick. And to know why you are a bit nervous.
Rick: She's very caring but protective. It feels suffocating sometimes. But she means well...It's just she has trouble accepting I'm not her little boy anymore.
Mandy: Protective or possessive? Tell me, Rick, when was the last time you went somewhere without checking with her first?
Rick: I... don't. But she's had a hard life, you know? I'm all she's got.
Rick: She's very caring but protective. It feels suffocating sometimes. But she means well...It's just she has trouble accepting I'm not her little boy anymore.
Mandy: Protective or possessive? Tell me, Rick, when was the last time you went somewhere without checking with her first?
Rick: I... don't. But she's had a hard life, you know? I'm all she's got.
Mandy looks into Rick's eyes with surprising intensity: I understand her situation, but the way she treats you isn't helping you mature into an independent, self reliant man. She leans back with a sigh. Sorry, that was blunt. I just... I see so much more in you.
Rick: I want to meet someone nice and start my own life, but I know mum will struggle with that. That's why I usually avoid relationships. But with you, Mandy, you are so caring and nice. I want to be with you, even if mum struggles with that.
Mandy smiles radiantly: Then let's make some plans, shall we? Maybe next week we could go for coffee after work Wednesday? Just a little extra time together.
Rick: Eh, yes. I'd like that. He immediately starts to think about the repercussions back home.
Rick: I want to meet someone nice and start my own life, but I know mum will struggle with that. That's why I usually avoid relationships. But with you, Mandy, you are so caring and nice. I want to be with you, even if mum struggles with that.
Mandy smiles radiantly: Then let's make some plans, shall we? Maybe next week we could go for coffee after work Wednesday? Just a little extra time together.
Rick: Eh, yes. I'd like that. He immediately starts to think about the repercussions back home.
Then dinner arrives. Mandy notices the hesitation and places her hand over his again: Rick, look at me. When he meets her gaze, she speaks softly but firmly. You're allowed to be happy too, you know. Going out and enjoying yourself is an important part of that. She picks up her fork with a wink. Now eat before it gets cold, my dad would kill me if I let his cooking go to waste.
As they eat, Rick tentatively puts his hand on Mandy's.
Rick: Thank you, Mandy, for what you said earlier. I needed to hear that. I get so wrapped up in mum, I forget my own feelings.
Mandy: That's what I'm here for. Next time, maybe stay for that drink you turned down before. Her grin turns playful. Unless your mum will call out a search party?
Rick: No, I want that Mandy. With you, I feel alive and free.
As they eat, Rick tentatively puts his hand on Mandy's.
Rick: Thank you, Mandy, for what you said earlier. I needed to hear that. I get so wrapped up in mum, I forget my own feelings.
Mandy: That's what I'm here for. Next time, maybe stay for that drink you turned down before. Her grin turns playful. Unless your mum will call out a search party?
Rick: No, I want that Mandy. With you, I feel alive and free.
Mandy’s eyes sparkle under the soft restaurant lighting as she leans in closer: Good, she whispers, because I have every intention of making you feel that way more often. She glances at her watch and sighs. Though I suppose we should get you home before curfew. Her teasing grin takes the sting out of the words.
Next Wednesday comes and Rick forgets to tell his mum he is going for coffee after work. He texts her and lets her know, but she doesn't reply. He comes home with Mandy following in her car. It's time mum meets Mandy.
Next Wednesday comes and Rick forgets to tell his mum he is going for coffee after work. He texts her and lets her know, but she doesn't reply. He comes home with Mandy following in her car. It's time mum meets Mandy.
Rick: Hi mum, sorry I forgot to say I would be a little late. I've brought someone for you to meet.
Mandy steps forward confidently, extending her hand with a warm smile: Mrs. Taylor, it's lovely to finally meet you. Rick's told me so much about you.
Linda accepts the handshake with icy politeness: Has he now? Her gaze flicks between them before settling pointedly on Rick. Darling, you didn't mention bringing... company.
Rick: No, it was spontaneous. Mandy suggested it, and I thought it was a good idea. She'd like to get to know you.
Linda’s smile doesn't reach her eyes as she steps back to allow them inside: How... nice. Linda gestures toward the living room with exaggerated hospitality. Please, do come in. Though I'm afraid I wasn't expecting guests, so I haven't prepared anything special.
Mandy follows Linda inside, her posture relaxed but her eyes sharp: Oh, please don't trouble yourself Mrs. Taylor. I just wanted to meet the woman who raised such a wonderful man. She glances around the immaculate home with genuine appreciation. Your home is lovely.
Linda moves to stand beside Rick, her hand resting possessively on his shoulder: Isn't it? We've been very happy here, just the two of us. Though I suppose Rick's told you all about that.
Mandy meets Linda's gaze evenly, her smile never wavering: Actually, he speaks more about your kindness than anything else. Though I'm curious, what was Rick like as a boy? I bet he was adorable.
Mandy steps forward confidently, extending her hand with a warm smile: Mrs. Taylor, it's lovely to finally meet you. Rick's told me so much about you.
Linda accepts the handshake with icy politeness: Has he now? Her gaze flicks between them before settling pointedly on Rick. Darling, you didn't mention bringing... company.
Rick: No, it was spontaneous. Mandy suggested it, and I thought it was a good idea. She'd like to get to know you.
Linda’s smile doesn't reach her eyes as she steps back to allow them inside: How... nice. Linda gestures toward the living room with exaggerated hospitality. Please, do come in. Though I'm afraid I wasn't expecting guests, so I haven't prepared anything special.
Mandy follows Linda inside, her posture relaxed but her eyes sharp: Oh, please don't trouble yourself Mrs. Taylor. I just wanted to meet the woman who raised such a wonderful man. She glances around the immaculate home with genuine appreciation. Your home is lovely.
Linda moves to stand beside Rick, her hand resting possessively on his shoulder: Isn't it? We've been very happy here, just the two of us. Though I suppose Rick's told you all about that.
Mandy meets Linda's gaze evenly, her smile never wavering: Actually, he speaks more about your kindness than anything else. Though I'm curious, what was Rick like as a boy? I bet he was adorable.
They all take a seat in the lounge, Linda perches on the armrest beside Rick, her posture protective: Oh, he was the sweetest child, always needed his mother close by. Still does, really. Some bonds never fade, do they darling?
Rick: Mum! Since dad passed away, I was there for you and will always be. However, there will come a time when someone else will be in my life, a special woman that I will cherish.
Linda: Of course, darling. All mothers hope their children find... happiness. Her eyes flick to Mandy. Though I do hope this special woman would understand the closeness of a mother and her son.
Mandy meets Linda's challenging gaze with surprising gentleness: Mrs. Taylor, I'd never want to come between you and Rick. She leans forward slightly. But surely you want more for him than just being your son forever? Don't you want to see him happy in every way?
Linda's grip on Rick's shoulder tightens briefly before she stands abruptly and changes the subject: Well! Who wants tea? I'll put the kettle on. She strides toward the kitchen without waiting for an answer.
Rick winks at Mandy and gives her the thumbs up. The rest of the time goes politely and without incident.
Next week, Rick’s at Mandy's house spending an evening there. He notices Mandy's dad is very much devoted to Mandy's mum, who is a strong character. He muses how he was influenced by a strong mother figure and that Mandy grew up with a strong female influence.
Rick: Mum! Since dad passed away, I was there for you and will always be. However, there will come a time when someone else will be in my life, a special woman that I will cherish.
Linda: Of course, darling. All mothers hope their children find... happiness. Her eyes flick to Mandy. Though I do hope this special woman would understand the closeness of a mother and her son.
Mandy meets Linda's challenging gaze with surprising gentleness: Mrs. Taylor, I'd never want to come between you and Rick. She leans forward slightly. But surely you want more for him than just being your son forever? Don't you want to see him happy in every way?
Linda's grip on Rick's shoulder tightens briefly before she stands abruptly and changes the subject: Well! Who wants tea? I'll put the kettle on. She strides toward the kitchen without waiting for an answer.
Rick winks at Mandy and gives her the thumbs up. The rest of the time goes politely and without incident.
Next week, Rick’s at Mandy's house spending an evening there. He notices Mandy's dad is very much devoted to Mandy's mum, who is a strong character. He muses how he was influenced by a strong mother figure and that Mandy grew up with a strong female influence.
He gets deep into thought about what he could learn from it. He then looks at Mandy and thinks she is in that same mold. No wonder she was attracted to a man who was comfortable with a strong female character.
Rick leans over to Mandy and expresses his observation. Mandy thinks for a moment.
Mandy: Tell me, does that bother you? That I know exactly what I want?
Rick: I wouldn't want you any other way.
Mandy’s expression softens as she leans in closer: Good, because I wouldn't want you any other way either. Strong enough to stand beside me, soft enough to let me lead...sometimes. Perfect.
Rick: I can be strong. I can also yield when the situation requires it.
Mandy: Now tell me, how much yielding will it take to convince you to stay the night?
Rick: I'll have to run that past mum. Laughs cheekily.
Mandy: Tonight, Richard Taylor, you're running things past me. And I say you're staying.
Rick: I love it when you're so confident. I need that sometimes.
Mandy's parents walk in the room and see them interacting.
Mandy's dad: Making yourself at home, Richard?
Rick: You both have a wonderful daughter, and she insists I do just that.
Mandy's mum: Does she now? Well, I suppose you could stay for dinner at least.
Mandy: Though I was thinking more along the lines of breakfast.
Mandy's dad laughs: That's my girl!
Rick: I wouldn't want you any other way.
Mandy’s expression softens as she leans in closer: Good, because I wouldn't want you any other way either. Strong enough to stand beside me, soft enough to let me lead...sometimes. Perfect.
Rick: I can be strong. I can also yield when the situation requires it.
Mandy: Now tell me, how much yielding will it take to convince you to stay the night?
Rick: I'll have to run that past mum. Laughs cheekily.
Mandy: Tonight, Richard Taylor, you're running things past me. And I say you're staying.
Rick: I love it when you're so confident. I need that sometimes.
Mandy's parents walk in the room and see them interacting.
Mandy's dad: Making yourself at home, Richard?
Rick: You both have a wonderful daughter, and she insists I do just that.
Mandy's mum: Does she now? Well, I suppose you could stay for dinner at least.
Mandy: Though I was thinking more along the lines of breakfast.
Mandy's dad laughs: That's my girl!
Mandy's mum: The spare bed is made up and ready.
Rick: I feel so at home with you all. Thank you for accepting me. I will have to tell mum but as a decision, not a request.
Rick: I feel so at home with you all. Thank you for accepting me. I will have to tell mum but as a decision, not a request.
Mandy smiles. She feels for Rick and his mum, but realises he needs to find his feet and be more independent. She also wants to find someone who is sensitive and thoughtful. Rick fits the bill nicely. She leans over and squeezes his hand. She is now convinced this is going to work out rather well.




No comments:
Post a Comment