Tuesday, 11 August 2026

Cabin Break


Mal Cook rents a log cabin in a remote area of a forest. His best mate Rob pulls out at the last minute but Mal decides to go anyway. He needs the break. 

Mal pulls up outside the remote cabin late afternoon. He grabs his gear and food from the back of the SUV and unlocks the door.  Inside, it is dark and cold, so he lights a candle and gets a fire started in the stove. He throws his clothes into the bedroom on the lower bunk and boils some water for a cup of tea, heating the water on the stove top. 

He cooks some noodles and eats and listens to the sound of the breeze in the trees. Mal feels uneasy about being so remote and alone as he's not used to it. He then heads to bed, but it takes a while to fall off to sleep.

The next morning, he wakes up and the sun is already shining. Mal makes a drink, has breakfast and gets his tramping boots on. He heads out along a trail to a lake, which takes an hour to reach. He sits by the lake, enjoying a snack and admiring the view. He then heads up a trail to a bluff with a panoramic view of the lake and mountains behind. After some photos, he goes back to the cabin, wanting to be there well before dusk.


Mal enters mid afternoon and decides to make a drink. Being fastidious, he notices the tea bag box is not quite where he left it. Mal quickly scans the room and notices a few faint, dusty footprints on the floor from a foot smaller than his and made with soft soled shoes, not his boots. Were they there before, but he had not noticed? He gets on with cooking and decides to have an early night.

The next day, Mal follows the same routine and heads out down the track. This time, he doesn't go far but circles back and takes a hidden position near the cabin. He gets out a book he wants to finish, reading and waiting. 

Eventually, his eye catches a movement and he looks up. A young woman cautiously approaches the cabin and carefully slips through a small window with dexterity. Mal puts the book away and stealthily approaches the cabin. He quietly unlocks the door and busts in. The young woman is going through Mal's provisions. She turns, her face aghast and tries to reach the window. Mal blocks her egress. Their eyes meet.

Mal: Do you want to explain yourself?
Hailey: What's to explain? You have food and I'm hungry.
Mal: You are stealing my things. You could have come earlier and asked me for food if you are hungry.
Hailey: And risk you being a creep? I don't think so.
Mal: I get that. A woman alone and a man you don't know. But what are you doing out here alone?
Hailey: That's none of your business.
Mal: I guess not, but I am concerned about your welfare. Also your breaking in here.
Hailey: You don't need to be concerned. Just let me go and I'll be out of your hair.
Mal: Can I first make you a drink and cook some food? 
Hailey’s eyes him suspiciously: Why would you do that?
Mal: I'm a caring guy. Have you not met many of them before? Plus I'd like the company and you look like you could do with a feed.
Hailey: Not many nice guys, no. And I do need a feed I guess. 
Mal: You can trust me. If you want to leave, off you go. If you want a hot dinner, take a seat on the couch.
Hailey pauses, considering: ...Alright. But I'm keeping my knife handy.
Mal laughs: Well I'll have one too as I prepare the dinner. Perhaps we can have a knife fight later.
Hailey: Maybe. So what are you doing out here alone?
Mal: I was supposed to have a mate come too but he pulled out. I had already paid the cabin fee ,and I need a break, so I came alone.
Hailey: I see. And you don't mind me being here?
Mal: No, just not keen on your entering through the window and taking things. Otherwise, I'm enjoying your being here.
Hailey: I appreciate you saying that. Then getting bolder: So what's for dinner?
Mal: Sausages and mashed potato. Then some cake afterwards. Sounds okay?
Hailey: Sounds great. I'll set the table.
Mal: Thanks. 

They eat with little spoken, then they both sit on the couch, the warm fire making the cabin feel cosy. A wind picks up suddenly and the patter of rain on the roof. It quickly gets heavier. Mal looks at Hailey to see if she is concerned.
Hailey: Looks like I'm not going anywhere tonight. You don't mind?
Mal: No. I only have one sleeping bag though. Do you mind curling up on the sofa here? There is a blanket in the bedroom I can fetch and you can cover yourself with that.
Hailey: That's fine. Thanks. You're not going to try anything?
Mal smiling: Do I seem like that sort of guy?
Hailey grins: Maybe not. But I have my knife.
Mal: Look, I'm respectful of women. What I do think is that you owe me is an explanation as to why you are in this area alone.
Hailey: Maybe tomorrow. Right now, I'm tired and full.
Mal: It's still early. I'm not ready to go to sleep. So please, give me some information about yourself.
Hailey sighs: Fine. I'm on the run from my foster family. I had enough of their rules and restrictions. I've been living rough for a few weeks.
Mal: This place is a long way from anywhere. How did you get here?
Hailey: I've been walking for days. I saw this cabin and have been hiding nearby, watching you come and go.
Mal: Your foster parents must be worried about you.
Hailey: They don't care. Trust me.
Mal: They won't inform the authorities you're missing?
Hailey: They might, but I'm old enough to make my own decisions.
Mal: Fair enough, but why didn't you just tell them you were leaving?
Hailey: Because they would have stopped me.
Mal: They must care something about you then?
Hailey: Maybe. But not enough.
Mal: Your distrust of me, is that because I'm a stranger or have you reason to distrust men?
Hailey: Both.
Mal: You now know you can trust me' but why the latter?
Hailey hesitates: Maybe I'll tell you later.
Mal: You are guarded. I just want to know so I can understand your situation better.
Hailey sighs: My foster father is a disciplinarian and I rebelled. Not a good combination. Okay? If I misbehaved, he'd hit me, and not lightly. That's why I'm cautious.
Mal: I'm sorry. Is that why you ran away?
Hailey: Mainly.
Mal: The authorities could have acted in your behalf, because that's illegal.
Hailey: I didn't think they'd believe me. He was respected in the community.
Mal: Thank you for opening up to me. Pauses. How long do you plan on staying out here? Winter will be arriving soon.
Hailey: I don't know. I'll figure it out.
Mal: Is there something I can do to help?
Hailey: You've already helped. A warm meal and shelter is more than I've had in weeks.
Mal: By the way, how old are you?
Hailey: Eighteen. You?
Mal: Twenty four. No, I don't currently have a girlfriend. We broke up three months ago. It was stressful and part of the reason why I'm here, to get away and reset.
Hailey: She wasn't right for you?
Mal: She was seeing someone else on the sly. I found out and confronted her. She said we weren't married, so she was free to play the field. I told her that we never agreed to that. After some sharp words, she packed her stuff and walked out.
Hailey: Sounds rough.

Mal:
 Not as rough as what you've been through. I really feel for you, Hailey, and I want to help. Staying out here isn't a solution. Come back to town with me. A female work colleague is looking for a boarder and if she agrees, you can live there, get a job and start your own life.
Hailey: I don't know you and you seem so keen to help. That's a reg flag to me. 
Mal: Well, the rain outside is keeping you in a cabin with me. If you can trust me that far, then a ride back to town is less risky.
Hailey: Maybe. I'll think on it.
Mal: Let's get some sleep. If you get cold, just stoke the fire. Don't try to get in my sleeping bag with me to get warm. Smiles.
Hailey chuckles: Don't worry, I won't.

The next day, Mal fixes breakfast and he turns to Hailey.
Mal: So what have you decided?
Hailey: I'll take you up on your offer. I'm sick of hiding out, sleeping rough and being hungry. .
Mal: That's the right answer. When we get into cellphone coverage down the road, I'll text my work colleague Phillipa, to see if you can take you in.
Hailey: Thanks, Mal. I appreciate it.
Phillipa is surprised and a bit reluctant to agree to taking in a stranger but is willing to meet Hailey.

They drive to Phillipa's place and he introduces Hailey to her. Hailey only has the cloths she is standing in. I fill Phillipa in on the background story and she is more receptive to the idea, feeling sorry for Hailey. 
Phillipa: Do you want to go to your foster parents' home to get some things?
Hailey: No, I don't want to see them again.
Phillipa: So we'll need to get you some things. We can go to the mall and get some cloths and toiletries?
Mal: As I have put you to this inposition, the least I can do is pay for the things. I'll take you there and pay for the items.
Phillipa: Are you sure?
Mal: No argument.
Hailey: Thanks a heap Mal and Phillipa for accepting me.  
After shopping, they get back to Phillipa's place. 
Hailey: Thanks again Mal, and hugs him.

The next day, Phillipa sits Hailey down: You'll need to find a job Hailey. Do you have any skills or experience that could help?
Hailey: I've done retail and worked in fast food.
Phillipa: There's a job going at the supermarket in town. I can put in a word for you.
Hailey: That would be great.

A few days later, Phillipa texts Mal that Hailey has got a supermarket job and starts next week. Phillipa also says Hailey is a lovely girl and seems to be settling in well. Mal’s pleased for Hailey and hopes this new start works out for her.
Mal texts back: That's great news. I assume her foster parents have been contacted.
Phillipa: Yes but Hailey told them she is eighteen and free to do what she wants. They didn't protest so I think they were glad she's moved on.
Mal: She's better off without them.
Phillipa: Agreed. 

After a few months, Hailey moves out of Phillipa's place and flats with a young lady she has befriended. On day Mal comes home from work and as he opens a door, there is an envelop on the floor, He opens it. A letter inside reads: Hello Mal. I just want to say thank you for the way you helped me. You were so kind. Please find enclosed a little thank you.  
Inside the envelope is also a supermarket voucher. Mal smiles. He didn't expect repayment but deeply appreciates Hailey's action. He always knew she was a good sort deep down.

No comments:

Post a Comment