Tuesday, 4 August 2026

The Visitor

Liam Harvey is 22 and lives at home. His dad left many years ago and left Liam's mum, Judy, in a difficult position. They got by and eventually moved to Riverton where they currently reside. A friend from many years ago, Joan, suddenly turns up and commandeers the spare bedroom. Seemingly much more as well.

Liam arrives home from work and is surprised to find a woman sitting in the lounge drinking a glass of wine. She swivels around to look at Liam.

Liam: Hi, I'm Liam. Do I know you?
Joan: Oh Liam, you don't recognize me? I used to babysit you when you were knee high to a grasshopper!
Liam: Obviously, I don't remember that. Nice to meet you. Mum didn't mention you would be here.

Just then, Judy comes home and is disappointed she didn't get home before Liam.
Judy: Oh Liam, I was going to tell you. This is Joan, my friend. She's just got into town and needs somewhere to stay for a while.
Liam: Sure. Nice to meet you Joan. I'll just go and have a shower.
Joan: Thanks Liam. It's great to meet you. Your mum speaks very highly of you.
Liam comes down later with Judy busily cooking dinner while Joan is still in the lounge, now watching TV. He walks into the kitchen and Judy glances over to her son Liam, looking anxious.
Liam: Is everything okay mum?
Judy: Of course, everything's fine. Joan's just come back into town and needs somewhere to stay for a while.
Liam: She looks comfortable and is certainly enjoying the wine.
Judy: She's been through a rough patch. I couldn't say no.
Liam: You always had a soft heart.
Then Joan calls out from the lounge, enquiring if there is another glass of wine. Judy looks at Liam sheepishly and he pours one and takes it to Joan, now laughing at a TV show.
Joan: Oh Liam, you are a darling.
Liam: No problem. He wonders why she acts like the lady of the manor. Then Judy says dinner is ready and they all sit at the table. As they eat, Judy is quiet.
Joan: So Liam, your mum tells me you're working at a garage.
Liam: That's right, as a mechanic.
Joan: Oh, you'll have to have a look at my car for me.
Liam: Is there something wrong with it?
Joan: No, just thought you might give it the once over.
Liam: I'll do that after dinner. Joan hands him the car keys. 

After dinner, Liam goes and turns the motor over. It sounds okay, so he turns it off and lifts the bonnet. The only things needing attention are some fluids which he tops up. Joan walks out to see how it's going and is a bit flirty after the wine she's consumed.

Joan: Thanks Liam. Your mum told me you were good with your hands.
Liam: No problem, as he steps around her and puts back some things in the garage. Joan's eyes have a friendly look.

Joan: So Liam, I've got to get used to the area. Maybe you could show me around tomorrow.
Liam: It's Saturday, so I'm free.
Joan: That's great. How about we go somewhere nice for lunch.
Liam: Okay, shall we mention it to mum, in case she wants to join us? Joan frowns.
Joan: Oh, she has plans already.
Liam: So do we as well now. He smiles at Joan but deep down wonders about her.
Joan: I'll look forward to it. She walks back inside.
Liam goes back inside to find Judy cleaning up after dinner and Joan goes back to watching TV again.
Liam: Can I help you mum?
Judy: No, it's okay love. I've got this.
Liam lowers his voice: Is there something wrong mum? You don't seem your usual self.
Judy: No, everything's fine. It's just been a long day.

He goes to his room, closes the door and checks his social media. After a while, Joan opens the door and leans on the door frame with a cheeky smile.
Joan: So Liam, I was wondering if you could fix the shower head in my bathroom. It's dripping.
Liam: Oh, okay, we haven't used it for a while. He checks, but it seems fine, with a few drips that indicate use sometime earlier. Have you used the shower this afternoon Joan?
Joan: Yes, just before you came home.
Liam: It's just some residual water in the shower head.
Joan: Are you sure? She leans closer.
Liam feels trapped in the shower: Yes I'm sure.

Joan is a fine looking woman and despite being much older, Liam finds her attractive. Yet she also makes him nervous. He tries to step past her.
Joan: Liam, you're a handsome young man.
Liam: Err thank you Joan. He manages to squeeze past and heads back toward his bedroom. Judy has been standing at the door and looks angry. Liam goes into his bedroom and closes the door. He hears his mum telling Joan that her son Liam is off limits.
Joan: Oh Judy, I was just having some fun.

Liam now realises he needs to find out what's the problem. He waits and then checks Joan's room. He hears her breathing heavily in her sleep. Liam then tip toes into his mum’s room and shuts the door. Judy sits up, her eyes red from crying and she hasn't been asleep. Liam sits on her bed and ask her what's up in a whisper.
Judy: Liam, I'm so sorry.
Liam: You need to talk, but it seems that won't be easy for you.
Judy: Joan's in town and she's trouble. When your dad left me back east, I was going to lose the house. I was desperate. Along came my school buddy Joan and she had money. She promised to help me. She offered me some cash but I said I couldn't repay. She said worry about that later, you need help now so I took it.
Liam: That was generous of her.
Judy: That's what I thought, too. Anyway, she kept helping me and was so kind about it. Then she wanted payment. I told her I couldn't. She said I needed to find it and she knew how I could. She was working for a night club owner and he paid well. The money Joan was giving me came from the club owner and he wanted payment.
Liam: I don't like where this is going. Judy looked down with shame.
Judy: It would mean servicing male clients. I was desperate and the club owner was not to be messed with. Joan even baby sat you until I got a baby sitter.
Liam: Oh, mum you are so brave to tell me. But what has that got to do with her being here now?
Judy: I paid off some of what I owed but they made sure I'd never be fully out of debt. Then I got a chance to leave and come over here. I slipped out of town and moved. I got a job, did well and got this place. I have always feared being found, but somehow I never was. Apparently, Joan had to pay off my debt as they held her accountable. Then Joan found out where I was. She's come and says I still owe her but if I allow her to stay rent free, I'll pay off what I owe her.
Liam: So that's why she acts like she's the queen, doing nothing.
Judy: I'm so sorry Liam. She also said if I allowed her to have some quality time with you Liam, that would pay it off sooner. I told her no way, but she is still pushing for that.
Liam: Mum, we need to get rid of her.
Judy: She says six months free board and she'll be on her way.
Liam: No mum, she'll just keep pushing, as we only have her word on that.
Judy: What can I do?
Liam: I'll think of something else. He kisses his mum on the forehead and slips back to his bedroom.

The next day, Liam has to take Joan on a tour of the town. She insists on her car but that Liam should drive. Liam acts cool, but deep down is angry.

Joan: So Liam, your mum told me a lot about you, how kind you are. You're very handsome too, by the way.
He wonders what to say, his cheeks going red. 
Joan: Oh, are you embarrassed? You don't need to be. She puts her hand on his thigh.
Liam: I'm fine. To the left is the town hall. It's new as the old one got burned down. Then to the right is the main shopping street.

Joan:
 Liam, we can skip the tour and just go somewhere nice.
Liam: Sure. As they sit at a table at a swanky cafe, Liam gets a text. Excuse me a moment Joan. Liam calls the person texting. That's very helpful, thank you. He returns and sits opposite Joan. Her pretty face cannot disguise his dislike of her personality, but he pretends he’s enjoying her company.
Joan: Liam, your mum was telling me you haven't got a girlfriend.
Liam: No, I did briefly, but it didn't work out.
Joan: Well, you're young and there's plenty of time, as she leans closer. Do you like older women?
Liam: Yes, I do. I find younger women too shallow. Someone like you has so much more quality.
Joan: Oh Liam, you are so sweet.
Liam smiles, knowing he’s winning the charm offensive. They finish up and he tells Joan he has to go home to do something.
Joan: Well, I'll come back with you.
Liam: Of course. He squeezes her hand as they get up and she gives him a warm, seductive smile.
Joan: Liam, I'm liking this town more and more.

They get back home and Judy seems relieved. Liam asks if they can all sit at the table.
Liam: I have a school friend who still lives back east, who I occasionally keep in touch with. Shall we say he now has contacts with the clubs scene. He turns to Joan. Apparently, you did pay mum's debt off but you still had a debt of your own that you were never going to get rid of with the club owner. He had you on the game and you would never be free of him.
Joan: How do you know that?
Liam: My contact, whom shall remain anonymous. Apparently, you came here to get away and the club owner is not pleased. He wants his 'goods' back earning. Let's say he finds out where you are? I would have thought you would be better served keeping on the move, Joan.
Joan: You wouldn't.
Liam: I won't be able to because I don't know where you are moving on to.
Joan: I see. She gets up, packs her things and quickly leaves.


Judy:
Liam, what have you done?
Liam: Got rid of a blackmailing ex-friend who was pressuring me constantly for favours.
Judy: But she could have made trouble for us.
Liam: Not with what I found out. She's a wanted person by a club owner. It's unwise for her to stay anywhere too long. I can't believe you're not relieved.
Judy: Oh Liam, I am relieved. It's just all too much.

He hugs his mum and reassures her it's all behind them now. Joan was never going to leave them alone and he acted to protect them both. Judy sits down exhausted and they sit quietly together.
Liam: Joan is a worldly wise woman and I found her attractive. She wouldn't relent and I have feelings. I don't have a girlfriend anymore. She sure knows how to play a male. Besides, she was sitting around like a queen, and you were her servant. We are well shot of her.
Judy: I suppose you're right.
Liam: Why don't I open a bottle of bubbly and get some nibbles so we can celebrate? I said I'd think of something.
Judy: You did, and I'm proud of you. Judy hugs her son.

No comments:

Post a Comment