Monday, 3 August 2026

Seeking A Runaway

(Serious content). Brian Snow is a solo dad, his wife having died a few year's back. Brian is increasingly rowing with his daughter Justine, who feels he's too controlling. One day she doesn't come home from work. He is desperate but initially gets nowhere enquiring and the police just view Justine as another runaway that will soon return. 

But then from an enquiry a few days later, he hears a rumour as to where she might have gone to. It's the other side of the city. An old girlfriend of Brian's, Ashley from way back, lives there. Brian quickly arranges to meet her and heads off to her place.

Ashley hears a knock on the door:
Come in, stranger. Long time no see. You sounded concerned on the phone. Please, take a seat. So how can I help?
Brian: My daughter left home for work a few days ago and didn't come back that evening. I asked around and one of Justine's girlfriends said she was heading over to this side of the city, so that I wouldn't be able to find her.
Ashley: Oh, Brian, I'm sorry to hear that. But please don't panic. I'm sure she's just having some fun. Why don't we have some tea and talk about it?
Brian: Thank you Ashley, I appreciate it. I just want her back home. I've always tried to protect her, but lately it's like she sees me as a jailer instead of a father.
Ashley: You're a good man, Brian. And Justine is surely a wonderful girl, although I've never met her. She's sounds like she's just growing up. It's a difficult transition for both of you.
Brian: I know, I know. But the city is so big, and she's so young. I can't help but worry.
Ashley: I'm sure she's safe somewhere.
Brian: I know you have connections with all sorts of people in this area. Can you ask around? Here's a recent photo of her.

Ashley takes a good look at the photo:
Justine hasn't been here long enough to get noticed by many people, three days you say? Brian nods somberly. I can ask around, but for now I'd try not to let your imagination run wild. Tell me, does she have anyone she knows around here?
Brian: That's the thing, she doesn't. I have called the police and they're keeping a look out, but they aren't sounding too serious and are getting a little tired of my impatience.

Ashley: Well, I'm your friend, and friends help each other. I'll call a few people and see if they've spotted a young woman fitting her description. For now, let's just relax.
Ashley sends out some texts while Brian sits worried on the sofa. No positive replies, so Ashley insists Brian sleep on the couch as it's now very late.

The next day, someone replies to Ashley. They saw a young woman answering the description. She was standing outside the Downtown Hotel, a modest establishment in a less salubrious part of the city. He noticed her because she didn't seem to fit in with the area. She looked like she was waiting for someone.
Ashley: Brian, wake up. I think I have a lead. A friend of mine saw a girl who looked like Justine near the Downtown Hotel.
Brian bolts upright, eyes wide: The Downtown Hotel? Is it a nice place?
Ashley sighs, folding her arms: It's not too bad but the area less so. It's a start. Let's get moving before the lead goes cold.
Brian quickly grabbing his jacket: Thank you, Ashley. Truly, I don't know what I would've done without you.
Ashley giving him a warm pat on the shoulder: Glad to help. Now, let's go find your daughter Justine.

They arrive at the establishment and go to the front desk. Brian gives the clerk Justine's name and shows a photo but the clerk seems reluctant to look and says information on guests is confidential. 

Brian is visibly irritated when Ashley intervenes discreetly. She decides the clerk is probably not that well paid. Ashley slides a twenty dollar bill across the counter, where the security camera she's observed can't detect what she's done, due to promotional leaflets in a display case. He glances and then ignores it. Another twenty dollar bill follows and the confidentiality standard meets its match. 

The clerk's quickly slips them in his pocket and checks the register. He quietly mutters: Room 204. The name is different but the photo is of her. You didn't hear this from me...Oh and be careful.

They arrive at room 204 and Brian knocks on the door. A man's voice comes from inside. Who is it?
Ashley: It's a two minute safety check. The clerk would have told you.

The door opens and a man with sleazy eyes confronts them. I didn't get any notification.

Brian: Typical, the third time today already. Look just two minutes. The man slowly steps back and gestures a somewhat sarcastic wave of the hand inviting them in.

Brian sees two cups on the coffee table, one with a faint lipstick mark. Ashley goes into the bathroom and that distracts the man momentarily. Brian heads for a closed door for what must be the bedroom. He taps on the door and opens it quickly as the man yells out: Not in there.

Too late. Justine is laying on the bed, looking scared, with barely any clothes. She is huddled on the bed, shaking. The man runs out and down the corridor. Brian runs over to Justine and throws a blanket around her and hugs her for what seems a life time. Ashley comes in, gasps but then calls the police. Justine gets dressed and the police arrive. Ashley gives a description of the man while Brian comforts a distraught Justine.

Police woman: Well, we know who you have described. The man's scum. He prepares the women and hands them over to a low life establishment to work for them. He gets a fee for his preparatory work. If you are prepared to testify, we can pull him in and get him put away. Of course, he'll get replaced but at least it is justice for all the girls who he's mistreated.
Brian: Thank you, officer.

Brian takes Justine home and after a good, long night's sleep, they sit and have a late morning drink together: What were you thinking Justine?
Justine looks away, eyes filling with tears: I just wanted to be free, Dad. I felt like you were choking me. I thought the job offer was for a real job. I didn't know...
Brian sighs and reaches for her hand, voice softening: I know, honey. I know. I've been too hard on you. I just love you so much, I don't know how to let go. I'm sorry.
Justine tearfully replies: I'm sorry too. I should have told you. I just wanted to prove I could do it on my own.

They embrace in a long, silent hug, the tension of the past few weeks finally breaking as they both realise that protection and independence must find a middle ground.
Brian pulls back slightly: From now on, I will give you more freedom. You're a young woman now, not my little girl. But can’t you see the reason for my concern? There are bad people out there.
Justine: Fair enough dad. Actually, for now I don't want to go out anywhere. I need to get over this.
Brian: When you are feeling more like going out, just tell me and unless it's a bad idea, I'll be less protective. 
Justine smiles: Deal.
Brian: In the meantime, I'll enquire about some professional help for you to make sure that you are getting the help you need. 

The next few weeks pass and Justine's mood changes from frightened to recovering. She spends more time with her dad Brian and they start to have a better relationship. 

Brian takes Justine out for dinner and he decides it's time to invite Ashley as a thank you dinner.

Ashley arrives at the restaurant, looking elegant as always: You two look so happy. It's wonderful to see.

Brian smiles: I don't think I've seen Justine this relaxed in years. Ashley, we owe you a debt of gratitude.
Justine: Thank you, Ashley. You really saved me.
Ashley: Don't thank me, thank your father's stubbornness. He wouldn't have stopped until he found you.

They all laugh and continue with their meal together. Dad realises his precious daughter was now a woman. Justine grew up a lot, very quickly, and is less trusting of strangers. This near tragedy will hopefully be a hard lesson learned. 

As for Ashley, her meeting up with Brian again after a long absense has rekindled some feelings. She now wishes and hopes Brian will ask her out on a date. He may do soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment