Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Rugby League

Dave Lunt came over from NZ at 19 to try and crack professional rugby league in the North of England. The game in New Zealand was still amateur at the time, so he had to travel if he wanted to make it a profession. He stayed with an uncle in Cheshire until he got settled. He knew it wouldn't be easy.

Dave first tries to get a contract with the clubs west of the Pennines. Dave's slight build limits what positions he can play and the clubs in the area all seem to have such positions covered. One of the clubs knows that there is a club in Yorkshire looking to improve their depth in that area. A meeting is arranged and Dave takes the train over there to talk with them. The coach (Phil) and talent scout (Liam) sit down with him.

Phil: You're a slip of a lad aren't you Dave.
Dave: Yes, but my size is deceptive. I can handle the knocks well. I have a reference from the club I was playing for in Auckland. He hands it over. Phil and Liam peruse it and look at each other impressed.
Liam: We have a Kiwi player here now with the squad and there are several scattered around the clubs. They have a good reputation, as does the Auckland club scene.
Phil: We can take you on trial for a month. We only have two half backs and we need more depth there.
Dave: I know the club needs to fight to stay in the top flight and I am a competitive person.
Phil: We will pay expenses and accommodation is sorted as we have families that take young lads such as yourself new to the area. We find young men get into trouble if they all live together.
Dave: Thank you for the opportunity.
Phil: Training starts Tuesday night. Where are you staying now?
Dave: At my uncle's in Cheshire. I'll get my things and be over Sunday evening if that's okay?
Phil: No problem lad. Here's the names and address of your accommodation, and we will let the family know you're coming.

Dave informs his uncle of the opportunity. He and his wife drive Dave over to the home he’s going to stay at. Pleasantries are exchanged and he’s shown his room upstairs. Nothing flash but clean.

Dave comes down for dinner. Rita Barraclough is the typical Yorkshire housewife, straight talking, having a sense of humor, hospitable and always ready to put the kettle on. 

Her husband Bill is an ex coal miner and as hard as granite. Son, Billy is 12 and daughters Jenny and Sarah who are 10 and 8. 

Billy sleeps in a room created in the attic and the girls have share a bedroom. 

Dave is at first overwhelmed by the newness of it all but the jovial conversation starts to put him at ease. Billy wants to know about Dave’s playing in Auckland.

Billy: So, do they hit harder in Auckland than over here?
Dave: Different style really. It's physically tough but only amateur status, so players have full time jobs. I haven't played here yet but as they are full time professionals, I'm expecting them to be faster and fitter. More emphasis on skill.
Jenny: I wish girls could play.
Rita: Don't be daft Jenny, it's not a sport for women.
Dave: That may come one day.

Dave trains with both the first team and reserves together. He uses ankle and wrist strap weights to strengthen his arm and leg muscles and then they will feel liberated when playing in a game. The coach mocks the idea but doesn't stop Dave from doing it. 

Later in the week, the teams split into first and reserves for training and coaching. The reserve coach Alan isn't impressed with Dave’s slightness but soon realises looks are in this case deceptive. Dave’s team play their first game which is a friendly. The opposition is rough but not skillful and in the second half Dave’s side run away with it. Dave scores two late tries with deft footwork and lays on a couple more.
Alan: Eh up lad, you took the tough stuff and have some quick footwork. We'll see how you go against better opponents.

They have their first competitive game and it's another level. Dave misses a tackle early on and they score, and with another two tries, open up a useful lead. Annoyed but undeterred, Dave really gets into the zone and by the end of the game has scored a hat trick of tries and the team win narrowly.

A few more games are played and with two wins plus a loss, they are going quite well. Then injuries start hitting the first grade side and Dave’s called up to the seniors in the half back position. The team is one place off the bottom of the table and struggling. Coach Phil is a worried man and is concerned that Dave’s inexperience will only make matters worse.
Phil: Dave, we need you to watch their half back. He's in contention for a spot in the England touring party Down Under. He's fast and aggressive. He will try to put you off your game with skill and rough stuff.

The pace of the game is beyond what Dave is used to. He struggles initially but as it progresses, his intense competitive nature lifts him. 

His opposite half back consistently targets him with tackles designed to hurt and verbal insults after each one. Dave is taking them and getting fired up. His aggression blazes but he bides his time.

The opposition half then tries to dart through their defense but Dave is ready and lines him up. He hits him on the up about chest high and driving him backwards at an angle. The tackled half back comes off his feet and as he is going backwards, Dave drives him into the ground. The attacking player lands on a shoulder and Dave knows his opponent is in trouble. Play stops and the player is attended to, his shoulder damaged. Dave taps him on the forearm as he’s strtchered off.

Dave wonders if he will be a target of retribution but finishes the game unscathed. The team lose 24-10 but a good result for Dave’s team playing against a top side, whereas they are facing relegation. As they walk off, Dave glances into the stand and sees a pretty girl smiling back down at him. He gives her a wave and goes into the changing room with the other players. He feels upbeat in the sheds after the game but Phil isn't happy about Dave’s perceived cockiness. Phil takes him aside.
Phil: Well done lad. You got one over on your opposite, but be careful you stay within the rules. Get it wrong and you could have been sin-binned or worse. Keep your aggression in check and best let your football do the talking. And keep your feet on the ground. You've played one first grade game. I don't tolerate cocky.

Chastened, Dave showers and goes out to walk home to the Faircloughs, a few minutes walk away. There is the girl Dave saw in the stands, waiting and smiling at him. Dave walks over to her.
Dave: Hi, I'm Dave.
Gail: Hello, I'm Gail. You played really well today.
Dave: Thank you. Do you come often?
Gail: I come with my dad, Roger Whitfield. He's on the club board and is delayed with some matters. She looks enthrawled with him but he remembers what the coach said, don't get cocky.
Dave: It was my first grade debut. I have a lot to learn.

Just then Gail's dad Roger comes out of the stadium and heads toward his Jag. He sees them talking and comes over.


Roger: Well done lad. You've a grand future ahead if you stay grounded and work hard.
Dave: Thank you.
Roger: Taken a fancy to our Gail then?
Gail: Dad!
Roger: Well you don't normally wait for players coming out.

Gail: Just wanted to congratulate him on his debut.
Roger points to their car: Well hop in then Gail.
Gail: See you around Dave.
Dave: Bye.
Dave walks home, his heart still enraptured by pretty Gail. He didn't know who was more star struck, him or her. He thinks he just showed it less.

The season progresses and Dave flits between reserves and the top side as the first choice half back has a run of niggling injuries. By the end of the season, the club finishes mid table, a fine result.

At an end of season function, Dave’s standing alone with a beer in his hand when Gail approaches. Dave hasn't seen her since their first encounter.
Gail: You played well this season.
Dave: Thanks. By the way, you look lovely tonight.
Gail: Thank you. She hesitates. Um, would you like to come over to our place for dinner sometime?
Dave: Em... yes, I'd love to.
Gail: How about tomorrow night, 6pm? Our house is on the outskirts of town, but I can pick you up if you tell me your address. I noticed you don't have a car but walk home after the matches.
Dave: True, I'm saving up for something decent. But yes, I'd love to come.

Gail picks Dave up as planned. The Barracloughs look out the window, curious about Gail. Gail and Dave drive along and Gail advises Dave on what he should know.
Gail: My parents are very Yorkshire. Straight talkers and don't suffer fools easily, not that you're a fool. I said that badly, didn’t I?
Dave: I get it. My mum is from North England, so I'm used to her calling a spade a spade.

The Whitfield's welcome Dave into their manor home, in a large garden setting. Roger and Dave stand in the lounge drinking a whisky.

Roger: So you fancy our Gail do you?
Dave: She's lovely.
Roger: You're a polite lad. I like you, just keep it respectful between you and her.

Dinner is a roast with all the trimmings, Yorkshire pudding included. Gail's mum Trudy is all smiles and industriousness.

Roger: So, what do you plan to do when you finish playing rugby?
Dave: I'd like to coach, but I want to play as long as I can.
Dave: There's no money in coaching unless you get to the top level, and there aren't that many top coaching jobs to go round.

After dessert, Roger shows Dave around the house.
Roger: Gail is an only child. Trudy and I have done our best raising her.
Dave: She's a lovely girl. You've both done well.
Roger: She doesn't bring boys home often so I think she's taken a liking to you.
Dave: I'm smitten.
Roger: Well, she's finishing college soon and wants to be a nurse. Oh, and if you two want to go out, you have our blessing. Just don't hurt her.

Gail and Dave later go for a walk in the garden, a bit chilly but pleasant.
Gail: So, what did dad say?
Dave: He said I have your parents' blessing if we decide to go out.
Gail: Oh, and what do you think?
Dave: I'd love to.
Gail is excited to hear that: Let's go into town for a meal tomorrow night then. I'll pick you up.

Dave walks home to get some fresh air, happy and arrives back at the Barracloughs. Rita has a cup of tea and parkin waiting for him.
Rita: So, what's she like, this Gail lass?
Dave: Lovely. We're going out tomorrow.
Rita: Well, make sure you're home at a decent hour.

The next night, Dave gets dressed in his best shirt and trousers and Gail arrives promptly. They go to a nice Italian restaurant and talk for hours.
Gail: So, what's it like back in New Zealand?
Dave: Different. More laid back with fewer people. It's warmer and we live near beaches, so swimming in the sea is popular. I loved body surfing on the West Coast beaches such as Piha. So what do you do Gail in your spare time?
Gail: I love horse riding and have my own horse. Dad bought him for me when I turned 16. Do you ride?
Dave: No, I've never been on a horse.
Gail: Would you like to? We can go riding this weekend if you're free.
Dave: Sounds great.

One night during the week, a player in the reserve team Shaun, takes Dave to a local pub for a pint. As they drink, Dave notices a couple of lads watching them and sniggering. Dave points it out to Shaun but he says ignore them. They come toward Dave and Shaun, who are sitting on stools in front of the bar and one intentionally bumps Dave’s shoulder too hard to be an accident.

Lad 1: What did you do that for? Think you're tough because you play rugby?

The pub owner behind the bar immediately interjects: Take it outside lads. No trouble in here.
Dave stands up to face them: Look, we're just having a quiet drink. No need for the aggro.
Lad 2: Pretty boy rugby player thinks he's special. See you outside then.

They go ouside and Dave looks at Shaun.
Shaun: Don't be daft Dave. They're known trouble makers.
Dave: I don't want trouble. The club will stand us down from playing for a time if we end up brawling.
They finish their drinks and Dave looks out the window and can't see them. They slip out into the cold evening air and go home.

Dave continues seeing Gail and they strike up a fast friendship. But training for next season takes up much time and so does Gail's nursing studies and clinical placements. Their time together is limited.

Dave goes to a party with Shaun and some of the other players. Gail has to pull out due to studies. It soon becomes apparent that this is a party where youthful hormones are catered for. One young lady pulls Dave into a room and starts kissing him. He doesn't resist but when she tries to pull him onto a bed, he pulls back and says he can't. She is surprised but accepts his refusal. As they walk out of the room together, there is Gail. She decided to give herself a study break and surprise Dave. 

Her hurt face says it all and she turns and leaves the house.


Dave rushes out after her: It wasn't as it looked Gail.
Gail spins around with a hurt look: I saw you come out of that bedroom with her.
Dave: She pulled me in there and started kissing me. I stopped it when she wanted more.
Gail: So you kissed her?
Dave: Yes, but I didn't go any further.
Gail: Well, I don't share!
Dave: Believe me, please. Nothing happened.
Gail then calms down: Don't let this happen again, Dave. Maybe I should have come from the outset. Girls are always after guys that excel at sport. We can't tell my folks. They are very conservative.

The next season starts. The incumbent half back retires and Dave’s now the first pick. They recruit an experienced half back who comes on the market and be used as a stand by. He resents being Dave’s back up but Dave ignore his jibes.

The second game in the season and Dave get hit hard in the side of the the knee. He suffers an ACL injury, ending his season. He goes to hospital, operated upon and faces months on crutches. The Barraclough's home with narrow stairs to Dave’s bedroom is an issue. Roger Whitfield visits the hospital with Gail.
Roger: You can't go back there Dave. I've arranged for you to stay in a downstairs room while you recuperate.
Dave: That's very kind.
Roger: You'll need physio, and we can arrange that.

Dave moves into the Whitfield's downstairs bedroom, a converted study. Gail visits daily after her nursing shifts to help Dave. She makes him meals and helps him with recuperation. Dave’s not used to being inactive and struggles with frustration. Gail sees his mood and tries to cheer him up.
Gail: You'll get through this Dave. I'll help you.
Dave: Thank you.
Gail leaves as Roger comes in: Dave, Trudy and I have been talking. This rugby is a tough game and you only get one body in this life. If you are to be my son in law, then I want you to be able to walk, not hobble. I've got business interests and when you've recuperated, I want you to join one of my firms and give this rugby lark up.
Dave: My mum in NZ has been talking on the phone to me, saying the same thing. She worries about me in such a tough game.
Roger: Well, that's settled lad. I'll talk to the club and they will release you. Then I'll find a position somewhere in the company. Are you good with figures?
Dave: Yes I excelled at maths at school.
Roger: Good, I think I know where you can fit in. Oh, and if I hear that you've gone to a party without our Gail again, I won't be best pleased. The walls have ears around here. Luckily, you were only in that room for a few minutes, so I heard. And don't tell Gail I know. She thinks I'm an old prude but I was a young man too once. Winks. I just don't want Gail to get hurt.
Dave blushes and nods, embarrassed that he got into that situation at the party.

Dave gets a job and is soon moving up the ranks. Gail does a basic course and becomes a nurse in a year. In that time they get married. They stay at the Whitfield home. It is big enough to give them space to be themselves and Dave grows to love both Roger and Trudy, like second parents.

Roger builds on a self contained extension to the house when Gail falls pregnant so the couple can have more independence. Dave didn’t return to NZ until their child was old enough to travel. They visited Dave’s family and he shows Gail where he grew up. But Yorkshire is his home now, despite the grey, cold winters. He is with people he loves. He still pops along to watch a game with Gail, but he’s glad not to be playing anymore. As Roger said, we only get one body.

No comments:

Post a Comment