Saturday, 15 August 2026

A Blended Family

Dave and Meg Smith created a blended family ten years ago. Dave’s son is Ray and Meg’s daughter is Jane so their kids are not blood related.  Ray is 22 and Jane 20. They both still live at home. Ray is an accountant and Jane a waitress. Meg is very protective of Jane and gets upset if Dave so much as gives her advice, yet she is so quick to correct Ray.

Ray: Hi dad, your home early from work.
Dave: Yeah, I had a slow day at the shop. Where is Meg?
Ray: I don’t know, I just got in. Maybe Jane knows.
Jane overhears the conversation: Mom’s at the grocery store. She’ll be home soon.
Dave turns to Jane and says: Jane I noticed your car sounds like it needs some work.
Jane: Yeah, it’s been making some weird noises lately.
Ray: Dad being a mechanic is useful.
Jane: Yeah, it is. and smiles.

Meg walks in and hears Dave talking about Jane’s car: Dave, stop trying to tell Jane what to do.
Dave: I wasn’t telling her what to do. I was just trying to help.
Meg: Well, she doesn’t need your help. She can take care of herself.
Dave: I’m sorry.
Jane: It’s okay mom. He was just trying to help.
Meg: He needs to mind his own business. She turns to Ray: Ray, your room is a mess. Clean it up.
Ray: I was late for work, so rushed out, but I’ll get on to that.
Meg: You’re always late and always rushing. You need to be more responsible, mutters under her breath unlike some people.
Dave: Give him a break Meg. He’s not always late. Besides, he got to bed late because he was doing some accounts for my business.
Meg: Well, he should manage his time better.
Jane: Mom, leave him alone. He’s doing his best.
Meg: Fine. But I still expect his room to be clean by dinner.
Ray: Will do.
Jane: I’ll help you if you want, Ray.
Meg: Jane, you don’t need to help him. He can do it himself.
Jane: I know, but I want to.
Meg sighs: Fine. But don’t take too long. Dinner will be ready soon.
Ray: Thanks Jane. 

They get into Ray’s bedroom. They make the bed and put some things away.


Jane: So, what’s new at work?
Ray: There is a new girl that's started and I’ve been tasked with getting her up to speed. Anna’s her name.
Jane: Oh, what’s she like?
Ray: Pretty, but a bit slow picking things up
Jane feels a little jealous: Oh, I see. Well, I’m sure you’ll get her up to speed in no time.
Ray: Yeah, she talks too much. If she listened, she’d learn quicker. She’s the boss's niece, so she isn’t trying that hard.
Jane feeling relieved: That must be frustrating.
Ray: So how's your job going?
Jane: It’s okay. Same old same old. The tips have lately been good though.
Ray: That’s because you’re good at your job...Oh I hear Meg calling us for dinner.

They go down and sit at the table. Dave says grace.
Meg: So Ray, how’s the new girl at work?
Ray: Anna? You know about her?
Meg: Yes, I overheard you talking as I passed the bedroom.
Ray: The boss's niece, Anna, who isn’t trying that hard.
Meg: Well, you need to be patient with her. She’s new after all.
Ray: I am, but I hope they don’t think I’m a poor teacher.
Dave: I’m sure you’re doing fine, son.
Jane: Yeah, you’re a great teacher. You helped me with my maths when I was struggling.
Ray: It was a pleasure, Jane. You listen and learn quick.
Jane: Thanks. Smiles. Ray was saying Anna is pretty. Do you fancy her Ray?
Ray: I’m not sure.

Meg tests Ray out: Well, I’m sure you’ll find someone special soon, Ray. Anna has connections in the firm, which sounds promising. Just saying.
Dave: Yeah, son. You’re a good looking guy. You’ll find someone.
Jane looks a little disappointed and Ray notices Jane’s reaction.
Ray: Jane, is the chef at the diner still on your case?
Jane: Yeah, he keeps asking me out, but I’m not interested.

They finish dinner, Jane and Ray do the dishes together which gives them the chance to chat alone.


Jane: So, do you really like Anna?
Ray: Not really. Her attitude is entitled. I much prefer your type of personality.
Jane: Oh, really? Jane blushes.
Ray: I know you well and we get on. Even the way you helped me tidy my room…so thoughtful.
Jane: I just like spending time with you.

Meg has been listening and clears her throat: Well, you two are getting along well.
Jane: Mom! Were you eavesdropping?
Meg: No, I was just walking by. But I’m happy to hear you two getting on.
Ray smiles at Jane but says nothing.
Dad comes into the kitchen:  Ray, I need your help with the accounts for the shop.
Ray: Sure dad. The dishes are done. He smiles at Jane and heads off.

Dad and Ray sit in the study. He asks if there is anything going on between him and Jane. Ray assures his dad they just get on well. However, they do seem to be hitting it off more, Ray thinks.
Dave: Just be careful son. Meg has plans for Jane and they may not include you.
Ray: What sort of plans?
Dave: She wants Jane to go to college. She thinks you’ll hold her back.
Ray: I thought Meg was happy to see us getting on.
Dave: She is, but she also wants Jane to have more than this town can offer.
Ray: I realise a waitress job is a stop gap one.
Dave: Exactly son. So just be careful.

The next evening, the parents visit friends, leaving Ray and Jane alone.
Ray: Jane, do you have plans about education?
Jane: Mom keeps talking about college, but I don’t know what I want to do.
Ray: That would mean moving away.
Jane: Yeah, I guess so. Looks down. But I don’t know if I want to.
Ray: Anything holding you back.
Jane: Maybe someone. She looks up at Ray.
Ray: I don’t want you to go, but I don’t want to be selfish about it.
Jane: I don’t want to leave you either. I’d miss you too much.
They reach out and hold hands.
Ray: What should we do?
Jane: I don’t know, squeezing his hand, but I know I don’t want to lose what we have.
Ray: We are both still young. We can keep in touch.
Jane: Yeah, we can. But it won’t be the same.

Jane heads off to college. After a little while, Jane meets up with Zac and they start going out together. Jane decides it's only fair to let Ray know. She sends a text.
Jane: Ray, I’m seeing someone now. I thought you should know.
Ray replies: I wondered as the correspondence started to dry up from your end. Thanks for letting me know.

Ray’s disappointed, but he guessed something like this would happen. The family also find out.
Meg: You can’t blame Jane. She’s young and needs to experience life.
Dave: Yeah, son. You’ll find someone special, too.
Ray: Anna at work is maturing, and she’s still friendly.
Meg: Oh, Ray. I’m sure she’s lovely and just right for you.
Dave: Meg, leave him be. He’ll find his own way.
Ray: Meg, you haven’t met Anna.
Meg: I don’t need to. I know what’s best for you.

Ray does go out with Anna but Meg was wrong. They don’t continue their friendship. Ray’s been moving up the ranks and promoted to head of sales. Going out with the boss's niece for a short while may have helped. Jane finishes her education and moves back home, qualified as a teacher. But she seems subdued and a bit awkward around Ray. They are sitting down for their first dinner together.
Meg: So how is it going with Zac, Jane?
Jane becomes teary: We broke up. About a month ago. I found out he was chatting with someone online. I confronted him, and he admitted it. He told me he was moving to live with her once he finished college.
Meg: Oh, Jane. I’m so sorry.
Dave: Yeah, that’s tough. But you’re better off without him.
Jane: Yeah, I know. But it still hurts.
Ray: I’m sorry, Jane.
Jane: At least you still have Anna, Ray.
Ray: Eh, that is no longer. We stopped going out about six months ago.
Jane: Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know.

Later, Ray’s sitting in his room, doing some work on his laptop. Jane knocks, comes in and sits on his bed. He stops what he’s doing and turns to face her.
Jane: Ray, I’m sorry about how things ended with us. I found being apart very lonely and Zac was very attentive.
Ray: Nothing to apologise for. We have both done some growing up while we were apart. Maybe we both needed that and are more mature as a result.
Jane: Maybe. I just know I’m more sure of what I want and more importantly, what I need.
Ray: Me too. Do you think we can try and..you know get back to where we were?
Jane: I’d like that. I care about you so much.

Ray moves over to sit beside her and takes her hand in his.

Ray: I don’t want to be doing this apart. If you get a teaching job here in town, then we can be together in close proximity. Going away again is not how I want it to go. I hope I'm not being selfish in saying that. 
Jane: No, it isn't. It shows you care. Staying in town is what I want too. I’ve already sent an email to the local school, and hopefully they will be interested. Apparently, there is a shortage of teachers here, so I’m hopeful.
Ray: Can we seal this with a kiss?
Jane: I thought you’d never ask.

They lean in and share their first proper kiss. It feels right and they both know this is the start of something special. Meg pops her head around the door with a grin on her face. Well, look at you two.
Jane blushes: Mom!
Dave also arrives: Yeah, son. We’re happy for you both. Even Meg’s changed her tune.
Meg gives him a playful dig in the ribs.
Ray: Early days. Baby steps.
Jane: Yeah, but we’re excited.
Meg: Well, I’m glad you two finally figured it out.
Ray: Sometimes we need to lose what we have to realise how precious it was. Thankfully, we still have a chance to rekindle it.
Jane: Yeah, and I’m not going anywhere this time.
Dave: That’s the spirit. Now, let’s celebrate with something bubbly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment