Jo is admiring herself in front of the mirror: Oh come on Ed, where's your sense of adventure?
She continues to turn with various angles to make sure the look is right: This dress makes me feel alive! Besides, what's wrong with wanting to look good for my man?
Ed: Fair enough. I want you to feel good about yourself and you have fabulous legs. Just be aware that you will attract attention, looking like that.
Jo: You're sweet when you're possessive. But don't worry babe, you're the only one for me.
Ed: I'm not possessive. I just thing you need to be more discreet sometimes.
Jo laughs: Discreet? That's not really my style, darling. Life's too short to blend into the background! But... I'll save the real show for when we get home.
Ed: Fine, I'll keep you to that. So let's go.
They get to the dance and it's already underway. They get on the floor and are having a nice time together. Jo is being her usual exuberant self and she starts to get some glances but all tthe admirer's are getting is evil stares from their partners.
Jo: See how they're looking at me? Makes you want to stake your claim, doesn't it? But you know I love winding you up almost as much as I love you.
Ed: Behave. I don't need winding up although I must say dancing with you is fun.
Jo spins away then pulls back to Ed: That's because I'm amazing and you're lucky to have me.
Ed: Fair enough. I want you to feel good about yourself and you have fabulous legs. Just be aware that you will attract attention, looking like that.
Jo: You're sweet when you're possessive. But don't worry babe, you're the only one for me.
Ed: I'm not possessive. I just thing you need to be more discreet sometimes.
Jo laughs: Discreet? That's not really my style, darling. Life's too short to blend into the background! But... I'll save the real show for when we get home.
Ed: Fine, I'll keep you to that. So let's go.
They get to the dance and it's already underway. They get on the floor and are having a nice time together. Jo is being her usual exuberant self and she starts to get some glances but all tthe admirer's are getting is evil stares from their partners.
Jo: See how they're looking at me? Makes you want to stake your claim, doesn't it? But you know I love winding you up almost as much as I love you.
Ed: Behave. I don't need winding up although I must say dancing with you is fun.
Jo spins away then pulls back to Ed: That's because I'm amazing and you're lucky to have me.
Jo notices Ed's work colleague Toni watching from across the room. Oh look, your little admirer's here.
Ed: Wow. Toni from work. I didn't know she was coming. She seems to be with another girl I don't know. They seem happy to be dancing together.
Jo: You're awfully observant about Toni tonight. Maybe I should go say hi... introduce myself properly.
Ed: Let's go over and say hi.
Jo: Come on then, let's go be sociable. But if she touches you, I might have to accidentally spill my drink on her. Just saying.
Ed: Hi Toni. This is my partner Jo, who I've talked about at work. And I don't know your friend.
Toni: Hi. This is my sister Clara. Nice to meet you. Jo extends her hand. Ed's told us so much about you.
Jo shaking Toni's hand firmly: All good things, I hope! Oh, there's the MC calling everyone to the dancefloor for the last dance.
Jo watches Ed and Toni from across the dancefloor. Well well... looks like someone's enjoying themselves. She feels jealous. Maybe I should keep dancing with this handsome stranger a little longer.
Jo then dances very suggestively with this man, a reaction to Ed's dancing with Toni.
Ed: What happened?
Jo, avoiding eye contact: Turns out Mr. Wonderful has a temper, laughing bitterly.
Ed: Thug. Is he still there?
Jo shakes her head: No, he's gone. Finally, Jo looks up. I just came to say I'm sorry Ed. You deserved better.
Ed looks at the ground. Jo treated him badly but seeing her like this tugs on his heartstrings: At least he's out of your life Jo.
Jo: Yeah. Out of my life, out of my apartment...wipes her eyes.
Ed: I'm truly sorry
Jo takes a deep breath: Me too, as she glances toward Toni's car. So... how's Toni?
Ed: I'm staying with her until I find a place of my own. Separate beds too, so no hanky panky.
Jo smiling weakly: Of course not. Ed, the gentleman.
Ed: At least you still have your apartment.
Jo laughing hollowly: For now. Can't afford the rent alone, though. Shrugs her shoulders. Guess I'll have to move back in with my parents. Humiliating at my age.
Ed: Not really. It's the best thing to do.
Toni comes out of the office toward her car, sees them together and stops. She has a quizzical look on her face. Then walks on and gets into her car and drives off.
Ed: I'd better go after her and explain. All the best Jo. I just wondered why you came down to see me. To keep me up with events?
Jo swallows hard: I came because... I needed to see you one last time. She reaches out but then pulls back. Goodbye Ed. My parents live a long way away, as you know.
Ed reaches forward and hugs her tightly, her body trembles as she breaks down. They hug for what seems an eternity. Jo turns and walks to her car. Her mini skirt reminding Ed how beautiful a woman's legs can be. Was she hoping he'd come home with her?
Ed: Wow. Toni from work. I didn't know she was coming. She seems to be with another girl I don't know. They seem happy to be dancing together.
Jo: You're awfully observant about Toni tonight. Maybe I should go say hi... introduce myself properly.
Ed: Let's go over and say hi.
Jo: Come on then, let's go be sociable. But if she touches you, I might have to accidentally spill my drink on her. Just saying.
Ed: Hi Toni. This is my partner Jo, who I've talked about at work. And I don't know your friend.
Toni: Hi. This is my sister Clara. Nice to meet you. Jo extends her hand. Ed's told us so much about you.
Jo shaking Toni's hand firmly: All good things, I hope! Oh, there's the MC calling everyone to the dancefloor for the last dance.
Jo asks that she and Ed pick someone else to dance with just for a change.
Ed agrees and she immediately goes to a man standing alone and giving her the eye. Ed see Clara has found a guy to dance with and Toni is standing alone.
Ed: Toni, may I dance with you?
Toni blushes slightly: I'd love that Ed. Are you sure Jo won't mind?
Ed: Well, she suggested we find a different partner.
Toni: Well then...steps closer.. I'm glad it's me.
Ed agrees and she immediately goes to a man standing alone and giving her the eye. Ed see Clara has found a guy to dance with and Toni is standing alone.
Ed: Toni, may I dance with you?
Toni blushes slightly: I'd love that Ed. Are you sure Jo won't mind?
Ed: Well, she suggested we find a different partner.
Toni: Well then...steps closer.. I'm glad it's me.
Jo watches Ed and Toni from across the dancefloor. Well well... looks like someone's enjoying themselves. She feels jealous. Maybe I should keep dancing with this handsome stranger a little longer.
Jo then dances very suggestively with this man, a reaction to Ed's dancing with Toni.
She also discreetly exchanges phone numbers with the man.
Toni: You're a really good dancer Ed. Jo's lucky to have you.
Toni: You're a really good dancer Ed. Jo's lucky to have you.
Ed: Thank you for the compliment Toni, you're a nice dancer too. They keep things respectful.
Ed looks across at Jo and is disappointed with the way she is carrying on. The evening finishes and they walk to the car. Jo seems miffed.
Jo: So you and Toni looked cozy out there. Should I be worried?
Ed: You looked saucy with that guy. At least I was restrained.
Jo: Oh come on Ed, you know I only have eyes for you. I just like to... keep things interesting.
Ed: You shouldn't do things to make others jealous.
Jo sighs dramatically: Fine, be boring then. But tell me honestly...didn't it feel good to see other people wanting what's yours?
Ed: That guy was too close to you and I don't think that's appropriate. You went too far.
Jo is suddenly serious: Okay, point taken. But you seemed pretty into dancing with Toni too.
Ed: Toni was alone and you suggested we dance with others. I felt sorry for her.
Jo: Oh, so it was pity dancing? Poor Toni. She runs her fingers through Ed's hair. Tell you what, let's go home and I'll show you what real dancing looks like.
A week passes and Ed notices Jo is a little cooler than usual. She also starts being secretive with some texts. He asks if everything is okay?
Jo quickly locking her phone: Everything's fine! Just... girl stuff ,forces a smile. You know how women are.
That Friday at the end of work, Ed's about to leave work and he bumps into Toni, who he hasn't seen all week. She recounts the dance last Saturday and says Jo was was very flamboyant.
Ed: Jo was just being Jo.
Toni: You look worried Ed. Is everything okay?
Ed: Oh, fine, thanks, suddenly realising he was lost in thought.
Ed gets home and there's a car in the drive he doesn't recognise. Jo meets him at the door, two suitcases are sitting just inside, Ed's suitcases. Ed see the man Toni was dancing with standing in the background with a smile on his face.
Jo looking nervous but determined: Ed... I think it's time we both admitted something. I'm not happy, and you're not happy with me.
Ed: I'm happy with you. What's he doing here? And my suitcases?
Jo takes a deep breath: I've been texting him all week Ed. He makes me feel... alive. Like I used to feel. And I think you'd be happier with Toni...she clearly adores you.
Ed looks at the suitcases. He realises that he moved in with Jo and apart from his clothes, everything is hers. All his worldly possessions are right there. Did you pack my cell phone cable and toiletries?
Jo: What? Oh yes, they're in the side pocket.
Ed: So I guess it's good bye. He take the suitcases. It hurts, especially how you're handling it, but if it's what you want, then I respect your wishes. I always have.
He leaves and immediately phones Toni: Hi Toni, it's Ed.
Toni: Ed? Is everything okay? You sound... off.
Ed: I've been replaced. Can I crash for a few days? The spare room will be fine until I can sort something out. I hope it's not inconveniencing you. Say if it is.
Toni breathing faster: Oh Ed... of course! Come right over. I'll... I'll make up the spare room.
Ed: Thank you. I'll be there in 5 minutes. He arrives and Toni throws her arms around Ed’s neck. Ed sponaneously busts into tears, feeling totally embarrassed by his uncontrolled reaction.
Toni holds him tightly: Shhh... it's okay Ed. Let it out. Strokes his back. You're safe here.
Ed sobs: I'm sorry about my tears. It's just hitting me, how could Jo do that without talking about it first?
Ed: You looked saucy with that guy. At least I was restrained.
Jo: Oh come on Ed, you know I only have eyes for you. I just like to... keep things interesting.
Ed: You shouldn't do things to make others jealous.
Jo sighs dramatically: Fine, be boring then. But tell me honestly...didn't it feel good to see other people wanting what's yours?
Ed: That guy was too close to you and I don't think that's appropriate. You went too far.
Jo is suddenly serious: Okay, point taken. But you seemed pretty into dancing with Toni too.
Ed: Toni was alone and you suggested we dance with others. I felt sorry for her.
Jo: Oh, so it was pity dancing? Poor Toni. She runs her fingers through Ed's hair. Tell you what, let's go home and I'll show you what real dancing looks like.
A week passes and Ed notices Jo is a little cooler than usual. She also starts being secretive with some texts. He asks if everything is okay?
Jo quickly locking her phone: Everything's fine! Just... girl stuff ,forces a smile. You know how women are.
That Friday at the end of work, Ed's about to leave work and he bumps into Toni, who he hasn't seen all week. She recounts the dance last Saturday and says Jo was was very flamboyant.
Ed: Jo was just being Jo.
Toni: You look worried Ed. Is everything okay?
Ed: Oh, fine, thanks, suddenly realising he was lost in thought.
Ed gets home and there's a car in the drive he doesn't recognise. Jo meets him at the door, two suitcases are sitting just inside, Ed's suitcases. Ed see the man Toni was dancing with standing in the background with a smile on his face.
Jo looking nervous but determined: Ed... I think it's time we both admitted something. I'm not happy, and you're not happy with me.
Ed: I'm happy with you. What's he doing here? And my suitcases?
Jo takes a deep breath: I've been texting him all week Ed. He makes me feel... alive. Like I used to feel. And I think you'd be happier with Toni...she clearly adores you.
Ed looks at the suitcases. He realises that he moved in with Jo and apart from his clothes, everything is hers. All his worldly possessions are right there. Did you pack my cell phone cable and toiletries?
Jo: What? Oh yes, they're in the side pocket.
Ed: So I guess it's good bye. He take the suitcases. It hurts, especially how you're handling it, but if it's what you want, then I respect your wishes. I always have.
He leaves and immediately phones Toni: Hi Toni, it's Ed.
Toni: Ed? Is everything okay? You sound... off.
Ed: I've been replaced. Can I crash for a few days? The spare room will be fine until I can sort something out. I hope it's not inconveniencing you. Say if it is.
Toni breathing faster: Oh Ed... of course! Come right over. I'll... I'll make up the spare room.
Ed: Thank you. I'll be there in 5 minutes. He arrives and Toni throws her arms around Ed’s neck. Ed sponaneously busts into tears, feeling totally embarrassed by his uncontrolled reaction.
Toni holds him tightly: Shhh... it's okay Ed. Let it out. Strokes his back. You're safe here.
Ed sobs: I'm sorry about my tears. It's just hitting me, how could Jo do that without talking about it first?
Toni: Because she's an idiot who doesn't deserve you. Smiles gently. Come on, let's get you settled.
Ed sleeps in the spare room, waking periodically and disorientated as to where he is. Saturday morning arrives and he gets up. He walks into the kitchen and Toni has a coffee brewing and is cooking eggs and bacon.
Toni: Morning sleepyhead! Thought you could use a proper breakfast. Toni pours coffee. How'd you sleep?
Ed: Okay thanks.
Toni: So... what's the plan today? Need help finding a new place?
Ed: Yes. I need to start, as I don't want to intrude.
Toni: Nonsense! Stay as long as you need. She softens her voice. Really Ed... I'm happy to have you here.
Ed: Thank you Toni. You are a friend indeed. But I will move on as soon as practicable.
Toni: Understood. But in the meantime, eat up. Then we can go apartment hunting if you want.
Ed: As I was leaving, Jo said 'I think you'd be happier with Toni, she clearly adores you'. What a thing to say about us. We always behaved.
Ed sleeps in the spare room, waking periodically and disorientated as to where he is. Saturday morning arrives and he gets up. He walks into the kitchen and Toni has a coffee brewing and is cooking eggs and bacon.
Toni: Morning sleepyhead! Thought you could use a proper breakfast. Toni pours coffee. How'd you sleep?
Ed: Okay thanks.
Toni: So... what's the plan today? Need help finding a new place?
Ed: Yes. I need to start, as I don't want to intrude.
Toni: Nonsense! Stay as long as you need. She softens her voice. Really Ed... I'm happy to have you here.
Ed: Thank you Toni. You are a friend indeed. But I will move on as soon as practicable.
Toni: Understood. But in the meantime, eat up. Then we can go apartment hunting if you want.
Ed: As I was leaving, Jo said 'I think you'd be happier with Toni, she clearly adores you'. What a thing to say about us. We always behaved.
Toni spluttering slightly on her coffee: She said that? as she looks away quickly. Then suddenly becomes serious. Ed... about that. Would it be... terrible, if what Jo said was true? Not now obviously! But... someday?
Ed: Everything is so raw. I don't want us to make a rash decision.
Toni nods rapidly: Of course! No pressure at all as she smiles nervously. Just... putting it out there, you know? For future consideration.
Ed reaches out and puts his hand on Toni's: I'd like that. I made a mistake with Jo. It wouldn't be a mistake to be with you.
Toni turns her hand to clasp his: No mistakes this time Ed. Just... us figuring it out together, squeezing Ed’s hand. When we're both ready.
Next week passes and Ed still doesn't find an apartment. He’s starting to feel awkward, both of them having feelings for each other but realising the time isn't right to act on them.
Ed: Everything is so raw. I don't want us to make a rash decision.
Toni nods rapidly: Of course! No pressure at all as she smiles nervously. Just... putting it out there, you know? For future consideration.
Ed reaches out and puts his hand on Toni's: I'd like that. I made a mistake with Jo. It wouldn't be a mistake to be with you.
Toni turns her hand to clasp his: No mistakes this time Ed. Just... us figuring it out together, squeezing Ed’s hand. When we're both ready.
Next week passes and Ed still doesn't find an apartment. He’s starting to feel awkward, both of them having feelings for each other but realising the time isn't right to act on them.
Then as he walks out to his car on Friday evening, Jo is leaning up against it, looking down the road. She doesn't face him but he can see there is something on the other side of her face. He walks around and although Jo turns away further, he sees a black eye and red cheek.
Ed: What happened?
Jo, avoiding eye contact: Turns out Mr. Wonderful has a temper, laughing bitterly.
Ed: Thug. Is he still there?
Jo shakes her head: No, he's gone. Finally, Jo looks up. I just came to say I'm sorry Ed. You deserved better.
Ed looks at the ground. Jo treated him badly but seeing her like this tugs on his heartstrings: At least he's out of your life Jo.
Jo: Yeah. Out of my life, out of my apartment...wipes her eyes.
Ed: I'm truly sorry
Jo takes a deep breath: Me too, as she glances toward Toni's car. So... how's Toni?
Ed: I'm staying with her until I find a place of my own. Separate beds too, so no hanky panky.
Jo smiling weakly: Of course not. Ed, the gentleman.
Ed: At least you still have your apartment.
Jo laughing hollowly: For now. Can't afford the rent alone, though. Shrugs her shoulders. Guess I'll have to move back in with my parents. Humiliating at my age.
Ed: Not really. It's the best thing to do.
Toni comes out of the office toward her car, sees them together and stops. She has a quizzical look on her face. Then walks on and gets into her car and drives off.
Ed: I'd better go after her and explain. All the best Jo. I just wondered why you came down to see me. To keep me up with events?
Jo swallows hard: I came because... I needed to see you one last time. She reaches out but then pulls back. Goodbye Ed. My parents live a long way away, as you know.
Ed reaches forward and hugs her tightly, her body trembles as she breaks down. They hug for what seems an eternity. Jo turns and walks to her car. Her mini skirt reminding Ed how beautiful a woman's legs can be. Was she hoping he'd come home with her?
Ed gets back to Toni's and she’s in the kitchen, quiet and busy. She doesn't look up when Ed enters.
Ed: I need to explain Toni, about Jo and what you saw in the car park.
Toni doesn’t look up: You don't owe me explanations, Ed.....
Toni doesn’t look up: You don't owe me explanations, Ed.....
She continues to chop vegetables but Ed can tell she is in a serious mood and unsure what's going on.
Toni then continues: ...though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious.
Ed: Her new love turned out to be a thug and knocked her around. He's gone already, but for some reason she wanted to see me and explain.
Toni finally turns and meets Ed’s eyes: And... how do you feel about that?
Ed: It hurt to see her face like it was. She has to move back with her parents..can't afford the rent. I wished her well and left. It felt heartless, but I had to do it that way.
Toni nodding slowly: You're a good man, Ed. Too good for her. Are you hungry?
Ed walks over to Toni and takes both of her hands: Seeing Jo cleared my emotions. I feel I can move forward, Toni. I want to move forward with you, if you will let me.
Toni's eyes widening: Ed... are you sure? It's so soon...
Ed: My head keeps telling me that too, but my heart won't have a bar of it.
Toni blinking rapidly: Well... when you put it like that...grins suddenly. Who am I to argue with your heart?
Ed: It hurt to see her face like it was. She has to move back with her parents..can't afford the rent. I wished her well and left. It felt heartless, but I had to do it that way.
Toni nodding slowly: You're a good man, Ed. Too good for her. Are you hungry?
Ed walks over to Toni and takes both of her hands: Seeing Jo cleared my emotions. I feel I can move forward, Toni. I want to move forward with you, if you will let me.
Toni's eyes widening: Ed... are you sure? It's so soon...
Ed: My head keeps telling me that too, but my heart won't have a bar of it.
Toni blinking rapidly: Well... when you put it like that...grins suddenly. Who am I to argue with your heart?
Ed: May I kiss you? We've never done that before.
Toni feels almost breathless: Yes Ed. Please.
They kiss and then hug. Ed lifts Toni off her feet and swings her around.
Ed: Sometimes you know when something is right.
Toni laughing as she spins: And sometimes you just have to take a leap.
Toni feels almost breathless: Yes Ed. Please.
They kiss and then hug. Ed lifts Toni off her feet and swings her around.
Ed: Sometimes you know when something is right.
Toni laughing as she spins: And sometimes you just have to take a leap.
He puts her down and they both take a step back, realising how fast this is suddenly moving.
Toni: Maybe you need to move out so that we can be more objective. I want to do this without the physical side coming into play and taking over before we’ve decided if this can work.
Ed pauses, then nods: I agree. We need to keep the emotions in check for now. Then, if it works out and we commit, it will be based on a solid foundation.
They both smile and Ed gets on the phone to his parents and asks to stay for a bit. They're happy to have him back home. Hopefully not too long he muses.
Toni: Maybe you need to move out so that we can be more objective. I want to do this without the physical side coming into play and taking over before we’ve decided if this can work.
Ed pauses, then nods: I agree. We need to keep the emotions in check for now. Then, if it works out and we commit, it will be based on a solid foundation.
They both smile and Ed gets on the phone to his parents and asks to stay for a bit. They're happy to have him back home. Hopefully not too long he muses.



No comments:
Post a Comment