Thursday, 6 August 2026

Loneliness, A Sad Affair

Helen Chapman's husband Arthur is a successful businessman and an influential man in town, who increasingly spends most of his life away from home. Helen wonders if he makes excuses to be away after seven years of marriage. Simon Wyatt split from his wife two years ago and is now divorced. He has taken a job transfer and arrives in town. He moves in across the road from the Chapmans.

Simon has a few days before he starts his new job. He goes outside the front door, looking around his new neighbourhood and sees Helen doing some gardening near the front edge of her property. 
He walks over: Hi, I'm Simon. I've just moved in across the road.
Helen stands up, brushing soil from her gardening gloves and offers a tentative smile: Hello, Simon. I'm Helen. Welcome to the neighborhood. It's... quiet around here, usually. I hope you'll find it peaceful.
Simon: Thank you. It is so quiet. I've just had a job transfer here.
Helen notes the genuine warmth in his eyes: A transfer? That's exciting. I don't think we've had someone new move into that house in nearly a decade. My husband, Arthur, is very... involved in the town's affairs. He'd probably know if anyone had been eyeing that property.
Simon: It's owned by my new boss who is often away or staying with his partner on the other side of town. He plans to sell it soon. Anyway, he says I can live here until I find my own place, probably an apartment closer to town.
Helen: Well, if you need anything, a recommendation for a good bakery or just someone to show you where the best coffee is, don't hesitate to ask. It can be a bit overwhelming trying to navigate the social circles here.
Simon: That's very kind of you. I'm living out of boxes at the moment and can't find anything I want.
Helen: Well, I was just about to head inside to make some iced tea and partake of some lemon cake. Would you like to join me?
Simon: I'd love to. You're a lifesaver, Helen.
Helen: Just a warning, the house is a bit... large for just one person. Arthur is away on business again, so it might feel a little echoing in there.

They sit and enjoy the tea and cake.
Simon: You sound a bit lonely if I may be so bold.
Helen pauses: Is it that obvious? I suppose the silence of a big house has a way of speaking for itself. Arthur is a wonderful man, truly, but his success requires him to be... elsewhere. Always elsewhere. It's a strange thing, being the pillar of a home that feels like a museum.
Simon: I know the feeling. My marriage broke up and I bought my ex-wife's share of the family home. Apart from the high mortgage repayments, it felt so empty. I decided to sell it and I applied for this transfer as I wanted a new start elsewhere. Too many memories and old friends, some taking sides on the split, although it wasn't acrimonious. The truth is, I'm very lonely since I divorced. Eating alone is tough, as is arriving home to an empty place. 
Helen: I know that feeling only too well.
Simon: Look, I'm cooking a simple meal tonight, pasta and some red wine. Would you care to join me. It's simple fare but I could do with the company.
Helen hesitates: The thought of another silent dinner is almost unbearable. Yes, I'll come. 
Simon: See you at 6pm then.

Helen arrives dead on time, wearing a light, lovely flowing dress.


Simon: Well, you do look fabulous. Come in please.
Helen steps inside, feeling excited at the thought of company: Thank you, Simon. She looks at the boxes.
Simon: No point in opening boxes that are soon to be moved again.

They eat dinner, and the conversation flows effortlessly, feeling more relaxed as the night goes on.

Helen looks at her watch and it's nearly 11pm: Is it that late? I must head back home to my empty castle.
Simon: We are both just enjoying the moment and the company. One more glass each to finish the bottle?
Helen looks at the bottle and then at him: Just one more. I don't want this evening to end.
They finish the bottle and for a moment, they just look at each other.
Simon reaches out and gently takes her hand: You're a wonderful woman, Helen.
Helen feels a spark of electricity and she doesn't pull away.
Simon: I feel bad, you heading back to an empty home, and it's so late now.
Helen smiles softly and leans in closer: Then perhaps I'll just stay a little longer.

The affair goes on and then Simon finds an apartment in town and moves away. Arthur arrives home at the same time on one of his rare visits. Simon meantime settles into his new job and it's going well. Simon and Helen are for the time being not in communication.

Then Simon's manager Ralph calls Simon into his office, looking perplexed: I have something delicate to discuss. The word around the business circles is that you and Arthur's wife Helen got on rather well for the short duration you lived at my home across the road from theirs.
Simon is stunned, then embarrassed: Erm, we got on well and spent some time together.
Ralph: I do a lot of business with one of Arthur's companies, not to mention all his friend's businesses. Do you realise the predicament this puts me in? In a smallish town, upsetting influential people is costly.
Simon: How did it become known?
Ralph: Arthur has a neighbour who is a business rival and he’s taken full advantage and spread it around. All a bit spiteful. Anyway, you're not denying it by the sound of things.
Simon: No. She was so lonely. Arthur is never there!
Ralph: Simon, what you did was wrong, end of. Now go back to work and I'll try to do some damage control.
Simon walks back to his desk feeling upset: I've got to tell Helen. Simon calls her on her mobile. Helen, my manager just called me into his office. He knows about us. There is a long silence.
Helen: What does he know?
Simon: Everything, that we were spending time together. My boss Ralph is a friend of Arthur's.
Helen’s voice becomes shaky: Oh no. Arthur... he's not a violent man, but he's a proud one. He'll be devastated, but he'll also be furious.
Simon: I'm sorry Helen. I didn't want this to happen.
Helen takes a deep breath: Don't be sorry. For the first time in seven years, I've felt alive. Now, where do we go from here?
Simon: I don't know. We need to think things through.

The next morning Helen is awake but lying in bed, when Arthur enters the room and sits on the bed.


Arthur’s voice is cold and precise: I trust you had a lovely time with the new neighbour, while I was away?
Helen freezes, wondering what to say: Arthur...
Arthur doesn't shout; he just stares with a look of profound disappointment: The town is talking. I find it fascinating how quickly it escalated into this. He wasn't there very long by all accounts.
Helen: I was lonely, Arthur! You're never here!
Arthur: My absences are for our benefit, for the luxuries you enjoy. Now, you will call this man, Simon, and you will tell him that it's over between you.
Helen: I won't call him. And I'm not going to pretend this was a mistake.
Arthur sighs: Very well. If you wish to play this game, we shall play it. But remember, Helen, everything you touch, everything you wear, is provided for you by me.
Helen: I appreciate that, but things don't make up for loneliness. You must get lonely too, on your trips. Don't tell me you're celibate.
Arthur pauses, a small, cynical smile appearing: I'm a businessman, Helen. I pay for it, there are no feelings involved, unlike your affair.
Helen: Does that make it okay? 
Arthur: I'm going to breakfast. I expect this to be settled by this evening. You have to end it.
Helen: We can't go on with the way things are. 
Arthur turns back to her: So what's the alternative? Your belongings are in the house I pay for. Your clothes are in the drawers I paid for. You have nothing.
Helen: You think material things are all that matter, plus the prestige that goes along with them. I don't feel loved by you, Arthur and money cannot make up for the emptiness I feel. 
Arthur: What's love got to do with it? He doesn't wait for an answer and leaves the room.

Helen immediately picks up the phone and calls Simon.
Simon: Helen? Everything okay?
Helen is crying but her voice is firm: He knows. He's told me to end it, but I can't. Can I come over to you?
Simon: Of course.
Helen packs a small suitcase with the few things and leaves the house. She takes her car and arrives at Simon's door, looking anxious but hopeful. They spend the night together and talk about their future.
Simon: I can't offer you a mansion, Helen. But I can offer you a home where you are my world, one that you are loved and not alone.
Helen leans her head on his chest: That's all I've ever wanted.

They wake up the next morning to a phone call on Helen's cellphone. It's Arthur.
Arthur sounds strangely calm: Helen, either you come home today, or we are finished.
Helen: I'm not coming back, Arthur. You made our love die by putting your business ahead of us. I appreciate what you have provided materially, but to starve me emotionally?
Arthur hangs up abruptly.
Simon: I have to go to work now. I'm already late. The place is yours. I'll see you tonight.

They kiss and he leaves. Ralph has had a call from Arthur and calls Simon into his office.
Ralph: Simon, Arthur is furious. He says you either give up his wife or there will be consequences. I can't afford to lose his business, Simon. Your job is on the line. Think long and hard.

Simon goes home that evening and tells Helen the situation he is in.
Helen looks at him, then stares out the window: You can't lose your job over me.
Simon: I don't care about the job. I care about you.
Helen: No, you can't be reckless. We have to be smart about this. Arthur is a businessman. He thinks everything is a transaction. If we want to get out of this with anything, we need to give him something he wants more than anything else. He wants his pride left intact.
Simon: Why don't we go around and see what he's prepared to concede?

They arrange to meet at Arthur's house. They ask what would be acceptable to him. He knows he's lost Helen's heart, so his business mind goes to work. He thinks for a few moments.
Arthur: Fine. I'll grant a quiet divorce. No scandal. I'll provide a settlement that ensures you live comfortably, but doesn't bankrupt me. In exchange, you both leave this town. You've caused enough disruption, enough embarrassment. You both leave the town and you leave your job Simon, and I will sign the papers and give Helen a generous sum.
Simon and Helen look at each other reassuringly and then back to Arthur. They both nod in agreement, relieved that a settlement has been reached. 
Arthur: I'll have the lawyers send the papers. You have 48 hours to pack and be gone from this town. I'll buy your apartment Simon, at market rates. It will come in handy for business purposes

They spend the next 48 hours packing and saying a few goodbyes. Simon resigns immediately from his job and they drive away from the town together.

Simon looks at the road ahead: So, where to?
Helen leans back in the seat, looking at the horizon: Anywhere that's quiet and peaceful. Let's just drive and see where the road takes us.
Simon: I can live with that.

They drive for hours and end up in a small coastal town where the air is salty and the pace is slow. They find a small cottage and Simon finds a new job as a regional manager for a logistics firm. 

Simon: I lost a marriage because I didn't invest enough time and love into it. Arthur even more so. Romantic feelings can be so strong but if not nurtured and strengthened, they can wither and die. I never want that to happen between us. I will never let that happen. 
Helen: Thank you for that reassurance. 

One evening, they both stand overlooking the sea.
Helen: I never knew the sound of the sea could be so peaceful.
Simon wraps his arms around her: It's a lot better than the sound of a silent mansion. Pauses. I know I'm not going anywhere. How about we get married once your situation is settled?
Helen turns to him and smiles: I'd love that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment