Friday, 21 August 2026

The Illustratus

The Illustratus or enlightened are a group with power and control of the world. They occasionally need replacements as they age. Finding suitable candidates, who will fulfill the brief and remain anonymous in their role is difficult. Bryn Spencer travels for an interview. 


Bryn Spencer makes his way from the plane. As he travelled in first class, he is escorted out of the plane first and then is met by a very professional woman. She directs him to a limousine.

Hostess: Good day Mr Spencer. I need to ask you to wear this blind fold.
Bryn: If it's deemed necessary.
The hostess smiles and nods in the affirmative.
Hostess: I will also need your phone. It will be returned later. Bryn hands it over with a sigh reflecting resignation.

The journey takes some time and the sounds indicate different road surfaces but in reality it tells Bryn nothing. He then senses they are now in a garage.
Hostess: I'll remove your blindfold Mr Spencer, which she does. Bryn blinks but the large, underground parking space is not brightly light. Please follow me.

They enter a lift and alight directly into a room with Chesterfield furniture and wood paneled walls.
Hostess: Please take a seat. Can I bring you some refreshments, Mr Spencer?
Bryn: A coffee please, and a cracker with cheese?
Hostess: No problem. She departs and Bryn then takes time to soak in the environment. She soon returns and places the refreshments on a side table. She smiles disarmingly. If you need anything else, please pull the cord by the wall.


Shortly after that, the hostess returns:
Your room is ready. Please come this way. After exiting the lift, she leads him to a large suite. Beautifully furnished and with French doors opening onto a balcony that overlooks a finely manicured, traditional garden. I will leave you to settle in Mr Spencer.

He looks in the bedroom. His suitcase is already sitting on a suitcase stand. The bed is a super king. Bryn then drifts into the ensuite, replete with everything you could possibly need. He returns to the bed, removes his shoes and lies down. He wonders what he is possibly getting himself into. He dozes off and awakes at hearing the suite door opening. His hostess invites him to dinner, they return to the lift and go down a floor to an intimate dining area.

Hostess: Your evening meal will be here soon. Here is the drinks list and menu. You may eat alone or invite me to join you.
Bryn: I would prefer company, on the condition that you allow me to use your name.
The hostess ponders momentarily: Jillian.


Jillian:
I will be delighted to join you. She signals to a waiter and she seats herself with an elegance worth the admission price alone. The waiter takes their orders, and everything arrives in due course. They engage in small talk, Bryn careful not to ask personal things. Jillian still manages to be the most charming of company, even being convinced to use 'Bryn', not Mr Spencer.

Afterward, Jillian escorts Bryn back to his room.
Jillian: Would you like a nightcap, Bryn?
Bryn: I would, if you would be so kind as to join me?
Jillain smiles charmingly: Just one glass then. They enjoy a small amount of cognac. It is the finest cognac Bryn has ever tasted.
Jillian: I am here to fulfill all your wishes Bryn. Is there anything else that would round out the evening for you.
Bryn hesitates: Er, that is all, thank you Jillian. You have been the perfect hostess. Thank you again.
Jillian departs and Bryn retires to the bedroom. It seems too beautiful to enjoy alone, he opines.

The next day, breakfast is brought to his room, this time by the waiter who served them at dinner. Afterwards, Jillian arrives and leads Bryn to the lift and to the same floor he was shown to on the first day. She arranges a drink for him.  Bryn settles himself in a Chesterfield chair, feeling the same as waiting for the assistant to invite him through to see the dentist.


Shortly after a man enters. He is neatly dressed but unassuming. He comes across, shakes Bryn's hand and sits nearby on another leather chair. After a long pause interspersed with curious glances, Bryn looks across at the man in earnest. The man, in turn, continues to scrutinise Bryn despite not actually looking his way. Finally, the silence is broken.


The Chairman: Welcome, Mr Spencer. You know why you are here.
Bryn: Please, call me Bryn. You have a proposal to put to me that is, as you say, potentially mutually beneficial.
The Chairman nods: Exactly, Mr Spencer. I mean Bryn. He deliberates before choosing his words carefully. Before I start, everything discussed here is strictly confidential. Are you prepared to accept that and comply with that requirement?
Bryn: You have my word.
The Chairman: I am a part of a small body that has power and influence. That is a heavy responsibility. It takes years of experience to know how best to use this wisely and effectively. We need younger people, with time on their side, to obtain the experience and develop the aptitude to carry out these responsibilities well. Any questions so far?
Bryn: No, I understand.
The Chairman: We influence governments, global finances and dynamics. He pauses and looks incisively toward Bryn.
Bryn: Is there a moral code you adhere to?
The Chairman: A good question, but yes, of course. However, morality is not an exact science, nor is it the same for all people. When one agrees to learn more, they are informed of the moral standards we abide by. You have already passed one moral test.
Bryn: Really?
The Chairman: Yes, the way you handled yourself yesterday...with Jillian you showed restraint, which is the first moral standard we go by. We cannot afford to be vulnerable to desires. You also ordered your meal with restraint. So well done.
Bryn: One thing I do wonder about is the world as it is. If you are influencing the world....how can I put this without sounding impolite....it really isn't in a good state in so many ways, is it?
The Chairman smiles: We don't have complete control and to be frank, we have lost some influence in recent times. That's why we need new blood, new ideas. The world is changing and we have not changed fast enough to keep pace with it. That is where you and a few other candidates come in.
Bryn: Why do you think I have the necessary skills?
The Chairman: You're not a genius in a scientific way, but you have proved in your field of work to be astute regarding human nature. There is still much for you to learn, even in that field, but the solid foundation is there. The will to succeed at whatever you embark on is also strong.
Bryn: Broadly speaking, what is it about human nature that I need to improve my knowledge in?
The Chairman: You have some way to go in fully understanding the evil part of a corrupted human. Something you shy away from and rightfully so. But to be part of the Illustratus, an essential part of your ability to effectively carry out your responsibilities.
Bryn: I see.

The Chairman: Stage one of your induction is complete. You may back out now if you wish, with no repercussions. From here on, if you decide to go further, then we expect you to become part of Illustratus. Backing out after this point would be, shall we say, problematic. 

He smiled with a look that was anything but cordial, but also not too threatening. It was a reminder that going forward from here wasn't to be taken lightly, nor the implications if one withdrew later, of knowing too much.
Bryn: I could ask to sleep on it. I could also feel that I need to know more to make an informed decision. However, it is not necessary in the first instance, nor wise in the second. I appreciate the offer and the trust you have shown in revealing what you have, but I cannot accept. What I have experienced will never be shared with anyone. You have my word.
The Chairman: A bold decision, Bryn. Most people wouldn't say no, especially given the nature of the offer. I'm impressed. The financial benefits, as he waves his hand around, are not even of interest to you, that I can tell. Are you sure I cannot convince you that the benefits far outweigh the negatives?
Bryn: I value my independence and even a certain simplicity in life that would be sacrificed with being part of the Illustratus.
The Chairman: I must reluctantly accept your decision. He touches something on his wrist and in comes Jillian. Would you please escort Bryn back to his room. He turns to Bryn. Your flight will be this evening. Please be ready at 3pm.

Jillian escorts Bryn back to his room. She stands as if she feels Bryn is now free to act on his impulses. He wonders if The Chairman wants to take advantage of a poor choice at this time to have a hold on him. Insurance, if you will.
Bryn: That is all, thank you, Jillan.
Jillian smiles knowingly: Lunch will be served soon, and then after a freshen up, we will depart.

Bryn is soon riding in the limousine to the airport, blindfold in place.
Jillian leans over and whispers: You did the right thing, on both counts.
Bryn replies: One was an easy decision, the other was difficult. He smiles and wonders if Jillan joined him in that smile.


Bryn is now at the airport, the blindfold removed and his phone is returned to him. He gets out of the car and momentarily stands next to Jillian. 

Bryn: Thanks for everything. You were the perfect hostess.
Jillian: You were a perfect guest.

Bryn boards the plane, sitting in first class. He looks out of the window as the plane takes off. He is glad to be leaving but as he closes his eyes, he can still see the wood panelled walls and the look on The Chairman's face. He thinks about the Illustratus. The influence. The power. He knows that he has probably just walked away from the most important opportunity of his life. But he is also certain that there was something amiss about the Illustratus. Then he thinks of Jillian and then closes his eyes. If only...

Bryn: Oh, I nearly forgot. You wanted to see the Chairman. Well, here is the chair he sat in. Empty, you say? You didn't really expect me to have a picture of him, now did you? More than my life's worth. I don't have a photograph anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment