Sunday, 2 August 2026

A Crush

Willis' sister Mel has a friend from work,Tara. Tara has an unhappy home life and spends a lot of time at their house. Tara secretly likes Willis but is unable to express her feelings romantically, so by being mean and unkind to him, is trying to get some attention and express her frustration at the same time. 

Tara comes through the door with Mel after a day at work together.

Mel: Hi Willis. How was your day?
Willis: Good thanks. Oh, hi Tara. Didn't see you for a moment.
Tara: Yeah, well, I'm not exactly thrilled to be here with you around.
Mel: Tara, don't be like that.
Willis: It's okay Mel. I'm used to Tara's insults.
Tara crosses her arms defensively: Like I care what you're used to.
Willis: Love you too Tara. Blows a kiss.
Tara’s face immediately flushes red: Shut up! you're such an idiot! She grabs a nearby cushion and hurls it at him.

Mel and Tara go to Mel's bedroom and shut the door. Willis goes outside the room to listen and hears them laughing.
Mel: I can tell that you really like Willis despite all the insults.
Tara’s eyes look down in embarrassment: Really? Is it that obvious? Do you think he knows?
Tara: He doesn’t know, or he would say something. Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me. Smiles and gives her a hug.
Willis is surprised to hear this and retreats to his bedroom. He contemplates what to do now and how to handle things with Tara.

Willis’ and Tara’s parents are away on an extended trip to Europe so they have to cater for themselves. Later, they all come down for dinner. They grab a pizza out of the fridge and heat it up. Willis decides to tease Tara to test her out.


Willis: Tara, You're 20 and pretty. You mush have a boyfriend.
Tara nearly chokes on her food, face turning scarlet: What kind of stupid statement is that? Not that it's any of your business!
Willis: Just teasing you Tara.
Mel: Willis, stop it. You're making her uncomfortable.
Willis: Sorry, Tara. I'm 22 and don't have a current girlfriend, so we are in the same boat. In fact, I assume Mel, you're currently on the look out for someone too?
Mel grins mischievously: Oh I am, but I think Tara's already found someone she likes. She nudges Tara with her elbow. Isn't that right?
Tara’s chair screeches as she stands abruptly I'm not hungry anymore! She stands up: And Mel? Shut up! She storms into the kitchen, shoulders hunched defensively.
Willis: You would be quite a catch Tara, but you know we're just teasing you. We love having you over here.
Tara replies from the kitchen doorway, voice softer than usual: Yeah...well...whatever. She hesitates: I like being here too...sometimes.
Mel whispers to Willis: We need to stop teasing her. He nods in agreement.

Willis:
So what do you two girls have planned for tonight?
Mel: Actually, we were going to watch that new horror movie in the basement. Tara swears she won't scream this time. She smirks toward the kitchen where Tara's aggressively washing dishes...Unless you wanna join Willis? We could use someone to hide behind when we get scared.
Willis: I can join, but I don't like gore.
Tara emerges from the kitchen, hands still damp from washing dishes: Oh please, like you'd know real horror if it bit you in the rear. Her insult dies halfway as she catches Willis' amused expression, cheeks flushing pink again. Whatever and goes back to finish the dishes.

They head into the basement tv room. There is a large three seater couch which Mel and Tara jump on. Willis tells Tara to move over so he can fit too.

Tara lets out an exaggerated sigh and moves over with dramatic reluctance:
Fine, but no weird stuff, got it?

Willis sees the two girls smiling at each other. They don't know he heard the conversation in Mel's bedroom where he found out Tara likes him. 

He sits next to Tara, now seeing her in a different light. Her unfriendliness is her way of coping with her hidden feelings. Tara jerks away slightly when her arm and Willis’ accidentally brush each other: Do you have to sit so close? There's like, an easy chair over there! 
Willis: I'm fine where I am. Mel, can you get the movie started?
Mel grinning knowingly: Sure thing, but don't blame me if you two end up closer than you planned when the scary bits hit. She presses play.
Willis: You mean Tara will be jumping onto my lap in the scary bits?
Tara’s face instantly burning crimson: IN YOUR DREAMS, MORON! She goes to hit him with a pillow, but with the first scary bit, she instinctively grabs his forearm. Then she pulls back quickly.
Willis glances across Tara at Mel. Mel has a surprised look on her face when she suddenly realises Willis is acting in a more friendly manner toward Tara. Has he worked out how Tara feels about him? She looks back at the TV with a slight smile on her face.
Mel: Real subtle, guys.
Willis looks at Tara and smiles, but she looks away awkwardly with a self conscious, guilty look.
Tara: Don't look at me like that...like you know something. She pulls her knees tighter to her chest.

The movie proves not too scary so Willis stays to the end. Then they all go upstairs for a drink. Mel discreetly excuses herself and goes to the bathroom for an extended stay, leaving Tara and Willis alone. They are both awkwardly quiet at first.
Willis then says: I'm sorry for teasing you earlier about not having a boyfriend.
Tara blurts out: Yeah well...maybe I don't want a boyfriend. Hesitates. Or maybe I already like someone, okay? She immediately clamps a hand over her mouth, horrified at her own confession.
Willis: Oh, so you like someone. I like someone too, but haven't told them yet.
Tara: Really? She stares down awkwardly, wondering if it is her or someone else. 
Willis: I actually like you Tara. If you ever decide you do want a boyfriend, would you consider me?
Tara is shocked at Willis' confession: You can't just... Her voice wavers between outrage and something painfully vulnerable. This isn't funny Willis! Stop playing games with me! But when she finally looks up, her eyes glisten with unshed tears, her usual sharp edges crumbling under the weight of exposed feelings.
Willis: I'm serious Tara. I wouldn't joke about such a thing. That would be hurtful.
Tara: You...you really mean that? Her voice is barely above a whisper, the usual sarcasm completely gone, replaced by something raw and hopeful that makes her sound years younger.
Willis: I mean it. It's over to you if you want to go out with me.
Tara looks down: I've been horrible to you. Why would you even... She cuts herself off, suddenly aware of Mel's approaching footsteps down the hallway.

They both stop talking as Mel walks in and she senses the sudden silence.
Mel feels the atmosphere: Are you two arguing again?
They both say nothing like two children caught being naughty.
Mel looks between them suspiciously:
Okay...weird. She walks past and grabs a soda from the fridge. So...movie night part two? What’s with the awkward silences?
Willis: Can Tara and I have a moment alone Mel?
Mel hesitates before sighing dramatically: Fine. She pauses at the doorway and looks back, wondering if this is what she thinks it is.

Willis: So what do you say Tara? We can take it slowly.
Tara: Slowly? Like...how slowly? Because I don't...I've never... This is embarrassing.
Willis: Never what?
Tara: Never told anyone I liked them before. And definitely never had someone...like you...say it back.
Willis: I want you to be my girlfriend, Tara. Please say yes.
Tara: You can't just say things like that out of nowhere! Her voice wavers between outrage and longing, her usual sharpness crumbling as she unconsciously inches closer...yes. Okay? Yes.

Willis gives Tara a big hug and Mel, who was hiding behind the door comes running in.
I KNEW IT!
Tara’s head is now leaning on Willis' shoulder.
Mel: Tara actually admitting feelings? Willis being smooth? Somebody pinch me! She smiles with satisfaction that her best friend is now going out with her brother.

Mel watches Tara place her head on Willis' shoulder again, embarrassed at Mel's being there. 

Look at you two, who would've thought my grumpy best friend would turn into such a mushy mess? Her grin softens slightly as she adds quietly. Seriously though...I'm happy for you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment