Saturday, 8 August 2026

Hiking Trip

Four hikers go for a long weekend expedition. Three men and a woman. Tina Roberts and her boyfriend Ralph Henderson, along with Dan Jones and a work colleague Gabriel Diaz.

They walk to the first hut on the trail and spend an uneventful night there. The next morning, they leave the first hut at 8am, and it is rainy and misty. Visibility is poor and it is cold. They have good gear and sufficient supplies. Tina and her boyfriend Ralph set the pace. Dan and Gabriel are close behind. 

Little is said as they keep their heads down, with the bad weather coming in sooner than they anticipated. It was supposed to come just after they finished the trek. They decide to still do the route, but not dilly-dally too much. 

After a couple of hours, it becomes apparent that they have deviated from the main track as it has become narrow and overgrown. They stop for refreshments and to decide what to do.
Gabriel: Which way do we go? Back to find the trail or press on?
Tina: We push on, of course. We are going in the right direction.
Ralph: Yeah, but how far? We're clearly not where we're supposed to be.
Dan: Going back is the safest thing to do, but that could take a lot of time, and the weather is getting colder.
Ralph: I say we push on.
Gabriel: Does anyone have a compass?
They look at each other. Because the hike was supposed to follow a clear track, and it was something not deemed necessary, no one had brought one.
Ralph: I know this area. We keep going.
Dan: Are you sure?
Ralph: Yes. We should reach the road in due course.

They press on despite there now being no track at all, pushing through undergrowth. They suddenly come to a river. 

It's not too big but still a challenge to negotiate safely. They decide to enter the river and walk a short way upstream to access a clear landing point on the other side.

Dan: We need to cross in pairs or as a foursome. Ralph, you're the tallest, so it's best if you are upstream. We can all link arms and shuffle slowly. Tina, you go to the downstream end.
Ralph: Okay, let's do it.
Gabriel: Be careful, everyone.
Tina: Stop being so cautious, we've got this.
The water is freezing and moving fast. As they swivel toward the other side, Tina, who is on the end of the line, is determined and pushes ahead, causing Dan, who is next to her, to lose his footing.
Dan: Whoa! Hold on!
Dan manages to regain his balance, but Tina slips and falls into the water. She is hauled back on her feet, wet and cold. They negotiate the river crossing successfully otherwise.

Gabriel: We need to create some cover, get a fire going if we can, and warm up.
Dan has a tarp and some rope, so they get a shelter of sorts. Tina gets a portable cooker going and they get a hot drink and a tiny bit of warmth, if they hold their hands close to it.
Gabriel: Now what? We're wet and lost.
Dan: We need to consider staying put until the weather improves. The forecast isn't for prolonged bad weather, although nothing is certain.
Ralph: No way! We keep moving.
Gabriel: Exactly. We keep moving. We can dry off as we walk.
Tina: I slightly twisted my ankle when I slipped. It just needs a bit of rest.
Ralph: That's what comes from pushing ahead, Tina. We were supposed to keep a straight line.
Tina: Don't start, Ralph. I just slipped on a rock.
Ralph: But we could have held you up had you stayed parallel. I'm not sitting around getting cold. We need to push on.
Gabriel: Agreed, our food supplies are not going to last more than a couple of days, even if we are careful.
Dan: We need to stick together.
Tina: I'm too sore to move right now.
Ralph: Well, how about Gabriel and I go ahead and get help?
Dan: But how will you know where we are? I'm sure Tina's injury will feel better in the morning.
Ralph: Are you a doctor, Dan?
Dan: No, but walking on could make the injury worse.
Tina: Fine, I'll rest here, and Dan can stay with me.
Gabriel: Okay, we'll go ahead and get help.
Ralph: We'll be back as soon as we can.

Ralph and Gabriel gather up what gear they can carry and set off. Tina looks back across the river ruefully. 

Dan manages to find some twigs and get a small fire started, and the flames warm the heart as much as anything.

Tina: Sorry Dan, I got us in this mess. Do you think Ralph and Gabriel will get help and find us?
Dan: I hope so.

The fire begins to die down as the last of the twigs burn away and the temperature drops noticeably. Tina's sleeping bag is soaked.
Tina: Darn, I should have asked Ralph for his sleeping bag. I'll freeze tonight.
Dan: Mine's dry. You can have that. I'll stay up and try to keep the fire burning.
Tina: I can't take yours.
Dan: Well, I'm not letting you freeze.
She smiles at Dan for the first time.
Tina: I guess we'll have to share it then. It's big enough.
Dan: If you're sure?
Tina: Yeah, it's fine.

Dan gets his sleeping bag out and some dry clothes for Tina. He looks away as she dries herself with a towel, afterwards slipping into Dan’s clothes, which fit not too badly. She gets into the sleeping bag and Dan follows the same ritual. Tina shuffles over and makes room for Dan. They lay there, lost in their thoughts.
Tina apologises again: I'm sorry, Dan. I should have listened to you earlier.
Dan: I've made mistakes in the wild. I take it you're not that experienced a hiker.
Tina: No, but I didn't want to admit it.
They lay silent for a while, listening to the sounds of the forest, unable to sleep.
Dan: You're shivering.
Tina: Yeah, I'm cold.
Dan: Turn your back to me. She does, and Dan wraps his arms around her and holds her tight to him.
Tina: Thanks.
The warmth of their bodies soon combine to lessen the cold. They stay like that for a while and eventually drift off to sleep.

In the morning, Dan gets a hot drink organised and they eat something.
Dan: How is the ankle feeling.
Tina gives it a careful rotation: Better, but still a tad sore.
Dan: Good that it’s improving. The problem now is with limited food and a gas cylinder running low, do we wait or try to find our way out? There is no guarantee we will be found staying put but moving also means our location will definitely be unknown.

They decide to pack up, but will wait for Ralph and Gabriel to return with help. After a while, Dan notices that Tina looks worried.
Tina: What if they don't come back? What if they get lost?
Dan: The sensible thing is to wait and be patient, as the chance of our being found is higher.
Tina: I'm not staying here, Dan. If they don't come back soon, we're moving.
Dan: Okay. How long should we give them? It could take a day to get out and then more time for rescuers to return to find us.
Tina: Let's wait until midday.

They wait anxiously, trying to keep warm and fed. It's hard to settle.
Tina: I hate this Dan. I feel so helpless.
Dan: Try to relax. You'll need your strength.

They continue to wait, listening for any sounds of approaching help, but hear nothing but the wind and the occasional bird. It's approaching noon.
Dan: Are you up to moving Tina? You could leave your backpack behind to save weight on your ankle. I can't see us getting to civilisation tonight, so it’s another night out here. We need to ration food from now on.

Dan gets a strong, small branch and fashions it with a knife as a walking stick for Tina. They set off slowly, Tina limping slightly but determined. 
Dan: Don't put any more strain on the ankle than you need to. Tell me if the speed is too much.
Tina nods. They push on through the trees, stopping when necessary to rest Tina's ankle. The terrain gets steeper and more difficult but they persevere. Eventually, they reach a ridge and look over the valley below, noticing a dirt road meandering along the valley floor.
Tina: We made it!
Dan: Now we just need to traverse this gradient down. Careful, this slope is steep.

The descent is slow as they pick their way down. Tina leans heavily on her stick and Dan’s shoulder at times, finally reaching the road, and they begin following it.
Dan: How's the ankle?
Tina: It hurts but I can manage.
Following the road for a while, they hope to see a farmhouse or something when they hear the sound of a vehicle approaching. They wave and signal for help. The vehicle stops and a farmer gets out.
Farmer: You folks lost?
Dan: Yes, we got separated from our group.
Farmer: Hop in, I'll take you to town. You look like you've had a rough time.

They gratefully get into the truck, exhausted but relieved, relaxing back into the seats, relieved to be safe. The farmer puts Dan's gear on the back to accommodate them in the front. As they drive along, he glances their way. 

Farmer: You two a couple? 
Dan: No, we’re not a couple. Just keeping warm. 
The farmer drops them off at the local pub, where they thank him and enter the premises. They order something hot and soon Ralph and Gabriel by chance appear.
Ralph: Wow, you're here. We got help and were heading back. We'll let the rescue team know you're safe.
Dan: Well, we got ourselves out as our supplies were low, and we weren't sure if you'd find us again. Thanks for your efforts.
Tina: Yeah, thanks.

They enjoy a meal and drinks, sharing experiences.
Tina leans in close to Dan: Thank you, Dan, for everything.
Dan: No problem.
Dan feels a bit awkward as Ralph is her boyfriend. Ralph notices Tina's closeness to Dan and raises an eyebrow.
Ralph: What's going on between you two?
Tina: Nothing.
Ralph: Doesn't look like nothing. He seems a bit concerned, but also has a bit of a smile.
Gabriel: Here's to unexpected friendships, and lifts his glass.

The evening passes pleasantly and the pub also provides basic accommodation. They all decide to turn in early. Tina squeezes Dan’s hand before heading off to her room. Dan smiles and heads to his own room, tired. As he drifts off to sleep, he wonders why Tina was so openly expressive of her appreciation.

Dan wakes early and his thoughts go back there: Ralph wasn't concerned leaving Tina behind. Perhaps Tina felt I showed more concern than he did. That wasn't my intention, he opines.

They all meet in the breakfast room and order a cooked breakfast. Ralph and Tina look like they didn't sleep well and are not talkative. Gabriel and Dan look at each other, feeling the atmosphere. Ralph goes to the toilet while Gabriel steps outside.

Dan leans over to Tina: Is everything okay?
Tina: We had a fight due to what Ralph saw last night between us.
Dan: What did he see?
Tina: Nothing. He was imagining things.
Dan: I don't want to cause trouble, Tina.
Tina: You didn't. Can I give you my cell phone number? I need to talk.
Dan: If you think that's wise.

She slips a piece of paper into Dan's hand, written on stationery from the front desk. Dan thinks Tina has thought ahead, so it must be important. Gabriel returns, and Ralph comes back looking more relaxed.
Gabriel: We picked up the cars yesterday and they are outside, ready to go. It was nice getting to know you both, Ralph and Tina. Come on Dan, my car is ready to take us home.

They all hug and say their goodbyes. Tina whispers in Dan’s ear as she hugs him: Text me.
Dan nods. Gabriel and Dan climb into Gabriel’s car and drive away.
Gabriel: That was an interesting weekend.
Dan: Yes. It could have ended a lot worse.
Gabriel: True. By the way, Tina likes you.
Dan: She's with Ralph.
Gabriel: She was looking at you all weekend.
Dan: She was just grateful.
Gabriel: If you say so. He smiles unconvincingly.

After getting home and showering, Dan sits on his bed, wondering if he should text Tina. He decides that he will, seeing as he promised to do so.

Dan: Hi Tina. Hope you got home okay & the ankle is feeling better. He then lays back anxiously. 

Nothing for twenty minutes. Then Tina rings back.
Tina: Sorry for the delay. Ralph was in the room. He's gone to bed. Thanks for everything.
Dan: No problem. Is everything okay with you and Ralph?
Tina: Our relationship has been cooling for some time. We got away to bond, but I felt hurt when he left me to get help. Why didn't he want to stay and help me?
Dan: I can't say why, but if you're unhappy, you need to tell him how that upset you.
Tina: If I do, it will end with harsh words. I've decided to leave him. I just need to pluck up the courage.
Dan: Make the reason clear.
Tina: I will. Can we meet for a coffee?
Dan: I think you need to sort out the relationship side first.
Tina: You're right. I'll call you when things are settled.
Dan: Okay. Good luck.

A few days pass. Then Tina phones again.
Tina: We had a frank discussion. Ralph was relieved and was happy that we will go our separate ways. He's moved out already and is flatting with Gabriel, would you believe. He even said he was comfortable if we get to know each other better.
Dan: That's fantastic. So about that coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment