Officer Julie Kelly comes into where Graham is working. Her light brown hair tied back, tallish, lean but with a taut figure and a pleasant, if focused, face.
Julie:Excuse me, I'm officer Kelly. Did you see the car accident outside?
Graham: I'm Graham. No, I was at my desk, but I heard it. It was loud.
Julie: Considering the situation, the impact was unusually fierce. Eye witnesses say the male driver vacating your company car park was travelling at high speed.
Graham: I'm Graham. No, I was at my desk, but I heard it. It was loud.
Julie: Considering the situation, the impact was unusually fierce. Eye witnesses say the male driver vacating your company car park was travelling at high speed.
Graham's boss Louie come down the stairs, his face slighty bruised: Can I help you officer? I'm Louie Cafiero, the owner here.
Julie: Your face Louis?
Louie: Oh, I bumped into the door. It was ajar, and I didn't notice.
Julie: I was asking Graham about the car accident outside.
Louie: That's Max Kaplan. He's a customer.
Julie: Why did he leave in a hurry?
Louie: I'm not sure.
Julie: Well, Mr Kaplan has been taken to hospital. He's not critical but I'll need statements from you all.
She turns to Graham. Can you tell me what you did see Graham?
Graham: Well, I saw Max Kaplan come in earlier, past the receptionist who called out to him. He ignored her and went upstairs.
Julie raises her eyebrows. And then what?
Louie: That's enough Graham.
Julie: Enough of what Mr Cafiero?
Louie: Nothing. Just the accounts are private.
Graham: I heard raised voices. Then scuffling.
Julie writing notes: And then?
Graham: Then Max came downstairs and left in a hurry. He seemed angry.
Julie: Thank you Graham. Mr Cafiero, I'd like to talk to you separately.
Louie sighs: Fine, but I don't see what this has to do with the accident.
Julie: Maybe nothing. Maybe everything.
Julie gets little from Louie and comes down the stairs from Louie’s office. She goes to walk out. Louie comes down moments later and when he thinks Julie is out of earshot, expresses his displeasure at Graham’s helpfullness.
Julie: Your face Louis?
Louie: Oh, I bumped into the door. It was ajar, and I didn't notice.
Julie: I was asking Graham about the car accident outside.
Louie: That's Max Kaplan. He's a customer.
Julie: Why did he leave in a hurry?
Louie: I'm not sure.
Julie: Well, Mr Kaplan has been taken to hospital. He's not critical but I'll need statements from you all.
She turns to Graham. Can you tell me what you did see Graham?
Graham: Well, I saw Max Kaplan come in earlier, past the receptionist who called out to him. He ignored her and went upstairs.
Julie raises her eyebrows. And then what?
Louie: That's enough Graham.
Julie: Enough of what Mr Cafiero?
Louie: Nothing. Just the accounts are private.
Graham: I heard raised voices. Then scuffling.
Julie writing notes: And then?
Graham: Then Max came downstairs and left in a hurry. He seemed angry.
Julie: Thank you Graham. Mr Cafiero, I'd like to talk to you separately.
Louie sighs: Fine, but I don't see what this has to do with the accident.
Julie: Maybe nothing. Maybe everything.
Julie gets little from Louie and comes down the stairs from Louie’s office. She goes to walk out. Louie comes down moments later and when he thinks Julie is out of earshot, expresses his displeasure at Graham’s helpfullness.
Louie: Graham, you were far too detailed in what you said. We don't want the police snooping all over here. If she comes back, you don't know anything more than what you already said. Understood?
Julie comes back from around a wall: Did you just threaten a witness Mr. Cafiero?
Louie: What? No. I was just...
Julie: You were just telling him to be less helpful to the police. That's obstructing justice.
Louie: Fine, I'm getting my lawyer.
Julie: You do that. Meanwhile, Graham, do you feel safe here?
Graham hesitates: Eh.. yeah.
Julie: Come with me. I'll take your statement at the station.
Louie: Don't let them put words in your mouth Graham!
Julie: That's twice now Mr. Cafiero. Keep digging. Graham, let's go.
At the station Julie takes Graham into a room. They sit opposite.
Julie: Okay Graham, let's start from the top. Tell me everything you saw and heard today—no holding back this time. Her pen hovers over the notepad, those sharp brown eyes watching him. Graham hesitates. Julie softens her tone. Look, I can tell you're a decent guy caught in something messy. That bruise on Louie's face? No way that came from a door. Help me understand what's really going on here.
Graham: Okay... The Max guy came in and stormed up the stairs. I heard shouting and a brief scuffle. Then Max came down hurriedly and out the same way and into his car. Then the car accident. Louie didn't come down until you saw him. He seemed to have washed his face.
Julie: What is your job there?
Graham: I do the accounts.
Julie: Is this Max Kaplan a customer?
Graham: We have done some work for him.
Julie: So has this happened before?
Graham: Max's visits used to be cordial but not so much lately. The last few times I've heard raised voices.
Louie: What? No. I was just...
Julie: You were just telling him to be less helpful to the police. That's obstructing justice.
Louie: Fine, I'm getting my lawyer.
Julie: You do that. Meanwhile, Graham, do you feel safe here?
Graham hesitates: Eh.. yeah.
Julie: Come with me. I'll take your statement at the station.
Louie: Don't let them put words in your mouth Graham!
Julie: That's twice now Mr. Cafiero. Keep digging. Graham, let's go.
At the station Julie takes Graham into a room. They sit opposite.
Julie: Okay Graham, let's start from the top. Tell me everything you saw and heard today—no holding back this time. Her pen hovers over the notepad, those sharp brown eyes watching him. Graham hesitates. Julie softens her tone. Look, I can tell you're a decent guy caught in something messy. That bruise on Louie's face? No way that came from a door. Help me understand what's really going on here.
Graham: Okay... The Max guy came in and stormed up the stairs. I heard shouting and a brief scuffle. Then Max came down hurriedly and out the same way and into his car. Then the car accident. Louie didn't come down until you saw him. He seemed to have washed his face.
Julie: What is your job there?
Graham: I do the accounts.
Julie: Is this Max Kaplan a customer?
Graham: We have done some work for him.
Julie: So has this happened before?
Graham: Max's visits used to be cordial but not so much lately. The last few times I've heard raised voices.
Julie: So what would be causing this? Graham hesitates. I'm not interested in petty financial irregularities. But if there's something more serious going on...
Graham: There are rumours, but are you interested in unsubstantiated rumours?
Julie: Oh Graham, rumours are often the most telling thing.
Graham pauses: Look, it seems that Louie runs a drug distribution network, not from our premises but one he has down by the river. He gets his product from Kaplan and sells it to users via couriers. We then do work for Kaplan's company that we don’t charge for. We no longer do work for him as he doesn't need anymore, so Louie has to pay in cash. Like I said, it's just rumours.
Julie: Rumours we can check out. So why the recent discord?
Graham: Louie has expensive tastes and likes to gamble at the local casino. He's been seen there splashing the cash. He may have got himself a cash flow problem and Kaplan is wanting payment for the drugs.
Julie: Interesting. Have you got any proof?
Graham: Not personally, but with no work to pay what's owed and Louie's gambling habit, it makes sense.
Julie: Well Graham, thank you for being so candid.
Graham: So what now?
Julie leans back: Now, I get a warrant for your company's accounts and financials. And we'll see what we find. You might want to think about your own position.
Graham: I'm just an accounts clerk. I'm not involved in any of this.
Julie: I believe you, Graham. But you might want to consider your future with that company. If Louie realises you've been talking...the drug business doesn't like those that grass.
Graham: Yeah, I'll tell him I didn't have anything to say but you interrogated me hard, hence the time I was away.
Julie: Good. I'll have uniform drop you back. I'll be in touch.
Back at the company Louie is nervous: You better not have blabbed.
Graham: Look, what do I know? That lady officer did give me the third degree but what could I tell her?
Louie: You'd better be telling me the truth. He looks menacingly at Graham in a way he’s not seen before.
Graham gets home and is feeling uneasy, when there's a knock at the door. He looks through the peep hole and it's Julie in uniform.
Graham: What a nice surprise. Come in. Can I make you a coffee?
Julie: That would be lovely.
She looks around: Nice place.
Graham: Thank you.
Julie: Listen Graham, I've been thinking. That was very brave of you today.
Graham: He was threatening when I got back, but I replied 'What do I know'?
Julie: Not good about the threatening side, but you've given us a new lead on drug dealing we've been looking into for months with little success. I've now been fully assigned to this case. The last officer in charge was mysteriously making no progress.
Graham: Glad I was of some help.
Julie: Well, we'll be putting surveillance on Louie and his premises. But Graham, you're potentially in danger if Louie suspects you've talked.
Graham: If I sense any risk, I'll call you. But in the meantime, there is something you could do for me.
Julie: What's that?
Graham: Well, I don't go to restaurants because I hate eating alone. Would you consider...
Julie: You're asking me out for dinner?
Graham: Unless that's against police policy.
Julie: No, it's not. But no talking shop.
Graham: Deal.
Julie: I'll pick you up at 8 tomorrow. Wear something nice. Now I must go.
Graham: Sure, see you tomorrow. Thanks for everything. You are an outstanding officer and thanks for checking on me.
Julie smiles. She was hoping Graham would ask her out.
Julie does an excellent job investigating and soon has both Louie Cafiero and Max Kaplan arrested. Louie’s business is sold and the Kaplan’s drug operation folds. Graham continues as an accountant with the new owners and is now steadily dating Julie. All because of a car crash.
Graham: There are rumours, but are you interested in unsubstantiated rumours?
Julie: Oh Graham, rumours are often the most telling thing.
Graham pauses: Look, it seems that Louie runs a drug distribution network, not from our premises but one he has down by the river. He gets his product from Kaplan and sells it to users via couriers. We then do work for Kaplan's company that we don’t charge for. We no longer do work for him as he doesn't need anymore, so Louie has to pay in cash. Like I said, it's just rumours.
Julie: Rumours we can check out. So why the recent discord?
Graham: Louie has expensive tastes and likes to gamble at the local casino. He's been seen there splashing the cash. He may have got himself a cash flow problem and Kaplan is wanting payment for the drugs.
Julie: Interesting. Have you got any proof?
Graham: Not personally, but with no work to pay what's owed and Louie's gambling habit, it makes sense.
Julie: Well Graham, thank you for being so candid.
Graham: So what now?
Julie leans back: Now, I get a warrant for your company's accounts and financials. And we'll see what we find. You might want to think about your own position.
Graham: I'm just an accounts clerk. I'm not involved in any of this.
Julie: I believe you, Graham. But you might want to consider your future with that company. If Louie realises you've been talking...the drug business doesn't like those that grass.
Graham: Yeah, I'll tell him I didn't have anything to say but you interrogated me hard, hence the time I was away.
Julie: Good. I'll have uniform drop you back. I'll be in touch.
Back at the company Louie is nervous: You better not have blabbed.
Graham: Look, what do I know? That lady officer did give me the third degree but what could I tell her?
Louie: You'd better be telling me the truth. He looks menacingly at Graham in a way he’s not seen before.
Graham gets home and is feeling uneasy, when there's a knock at the door. He looks through the peep hole and it's Julie in uniform.
Graham: What a nice surprise. Come in. Can I make you a coffee?
Julie: That would be lovely.
She looks around: Nice place.
Graham: Thank you.
Julie: Listen Graham, I've been thinking. That was very brave of you today.
Graham: He was threatening when I got back, but I replied 'What do I know'?
Julie: Not good about the threatening side, but you've given us a new lead on drug dealing we've been looking into for months with little success. I've now been fully assigned to this case. The last officer in charge was mysteriously making no progress.
Graham: Glad I was of some help.
Julie: Well, we'll be putting surveillance on Louie and his premises. But Graham, you're potentially in danger if Louie suspects you've talked.
Graham: If I sense any risk, I'll call you. But in the meantime, there is something you could do for me.
Julie: What's that?
Graham: Well, I don't go to restaurants because I hate eating alone. Would you consider...
Julie: You're asking me out for dinner?
Graham: Unless that's against police policy.
Julie: No, it's not. But no talking shop.
Graham: Deal.
Julie: I'll pick you up at 8 tomorrow. Wear something nice. Now I must go.
Graham: Sure, see you tomorrow. Thanks for everything. You are an outstanding officer and thanks for checking on me.
Julie smiles. She was hoping Graham would ask her out.
Julie does an excellent job investigating and soon has both Louie Cafiero and Max Kaplan arrested. Louie’s business is sold and the Kaplan’s drug operation folds. Graham continues as an accountant with the new owners and is now steadily dating Julie. All because of a car crash.


No comments:
Post a Comment