Luke: Rob, I take it.
Rob: Yes, please join me, Luke.
Rob: Yes, please join me, Luke.
They shake hands, sitting for a moment without talking and just sipping their drinks. Rob pulls out an envelope from an inner pocket in his jacket and slides it discreetly across the small table. Luke nonchalantly picks it up and puts it in his inner jacket pocket.
Rob talks without eye contact: All that I know is there. Times, dates, the lot.
Luke stares into the distance: If I need to clarify anything, how do I contact you?
Rob: My contact details are there also.
Rob finishes his beer, stands, shakes Luke's hand and leaves. Luke feels the meeting wasn't as natural looking as it should have been. He casually looks around, but no one seems to have been aware of the transaction.
Luke goes home and enters his study. He takes out the envelope and looks over its contents. There is a detailed list of conversations, dates and times, plus personal information about Rob's wife, Lesley. There is also information about a future event. Lesley is going on a Saturday girl's day out, a monthly activity that has got Rob suspicious. Phone calls and texts are always occurring just prior to these monthly outings.
With little else to go on, Luke decides to arrive at the street where the Ames' live at, early that Saturday morning. He turns up in his aging small, grey hatchback, which he uses for surveillance work. Sure enough, out comes Lesley, looking in a hurry and she drives off speedily in her SUV.
Luke puts his pedal to the metal and is soon trailing her at a safe distance. Lesley meets another woman along the way, then they drive to a hotel in the country. Luke pulls up at a safe distance, gets his camera to take some shots of the two ladies giggling as they alight and head toward the hotel reception.
Luke follows them into the lobby and watches them check in. They get separate keys. The unknown lady gets in a lift and Lesley goes through a side door. Luke briefly waits, worried he will lose Lesley. He asks a porter where the door leads to and he says stairs going up to the rooms.
Rob talks without eye contact: All that I know is there. Times, dates, the lot.
Luke stares into the distance: If I need to clarify anything, how do I contact you?
Rob: My contact details are there also.
Rob finishes his beer, stands, shakes Luke's hand and leaves. Luke feels the meeting wasn't as natural looking as it should have been. He casually looks around, but no one seems to have been aware of the transaction.
Luke goes home and enters his study. He takes out the envelope and looks over its contents. There is a detailed list of conversations, dates and times, plus personal information about Rob's wife, Lesley. There is also information about a future event. Lesley is going on a Saturday girl's day out, a monthly activity that has got Rob suspicious. Phone calls and texts are always occurring just prior to these monthly outings.
With little else to go on, Luke decides to arrive at the street where the Ames' live at, early that Saturday morning. He turns up in his aging small, grey hatchback, which he uses for surveillance work. Sure enough, out comes Lesley, looking in a hurry and she drives off speedily in her SUV.
Luke puts his pedal to the metal and is soon trailing her at a safe distance. Lesley meets another woman along the way, then they drive to a hotel in the country. Luke pulls up at a safe distance, gets his camera to take some shots of the two ladies giggling as they alight and head toward the hotel reception.
Luke follows them into the lobby and watches them check in. They get separate keys. The unknown lady gets in a lift and Lesley goes through a side door. Luke briefly waits, worried he will lose Lesley. He asks a porter where the door leads to and he says stairs going up to the rooms.
Luke decides to move fast and goes through the door. He goes to climb the stairs when his hand is grabbed and his arm twisted behind his back.
Lesley: Looking for someone, mister?
Luke: Just going to my room.
Lesley: Did you collect your room key? Show me.
Luke: I forgot. Can you let go of my arm? I'm not going to try anything.
Lesley lets go and Luke turns to face her, massaging his shoulder. She has a look of distrust in her eyes, along with a steely resolve: So what is your game? Who employed you to follow me?
Luke: Client confidentiality means I can't say.
Lesley: I think I know anyway. We need to talk. Coffee? Luke nods sheepishly.
They go to the restaurant and sit with their drinks.
Luke: Just going to my room.
Lesley: Did you collect your room key? Show me.
Luke: I forgot. Can you let go of my arm? I'm not going to try anything.
Lesley lets go and Luke turns to face her, massaging his shoulder. She has a look of distrust in her eyes, along with a steely resolve: So what is your game? Who employed you to follow me?
Luke: Client confidentiality means I can't say.
Lesley: I think I know anyway. We need to talk. Coffee? Luke nods sheepishly.
They go to the restaurant and sit with their drinks.
Lesley: I left home quickly to make sure I wasn't being followed and I saw your car speeding after me. My experience in the police comes in handy.
Luke: As does your self defense training, as he rubs his shoulder again.
Lesley: So are you going to tell me why my husband, Rob, is suspicious of me?
Luke: You probably have a fair idea.
Lesley pauses: Yes, I know. My behaviour of late has been suspicious. I should have been open with him.
Luke: So what am I going to tell Rob? That you clocked me and my cover was blown, so I know nothing? I won't get a bonus for that information, if even a payment.
Lesley sighs: It's a difficult one. I met Rob when I was a young lady. I was lost and sad. He was a bit older than me, seven years older. He was kind and he took me in. I soon realised he was very conservative and not that understanding of the mistakes others make. So I kept a secret from him. I'm telling you all this as you are a private investigator and such stories are common to you. Only my friend Sally, whom I picked up earlier, knows about this.
Lesley continues: When I was young, I had a baby, a girl, and my parents said I had to give 'it' up. It was better that way, rather than being a solo mum. I did and then met Rob shortly after that. He wouldn't have wanted me with a baby, I just know.
Luke: So how does this fit in with my being employed?
Lesley: One day I decided to trace my daughter and was having trouble finding anything out. I broke some rules as a police officer to track her down. I connected with my daughter, and we now meet in a clandestine manner, to accommodate my situation.
Luke: And your friend Sally, who accompanies you?
Lesley: She does have someone on the side. We both get what we want, but she gets what Rob thinks I'm getting.
Luke jokingly responds: I might have to speak to Sally's husband. I could do with some extra work. Then getting serious, so what do I tell Rob?
Lesley pauses: Tell him you have found the answer and that when I get home, I will explain everything.
Then a pretty young lady is suddenly standing beside them.
Luke: As does your self defense training, as he rubs his shoulder again.
Lesley: So are you going to tell me why my husband, Rob, is suspicious of me?
Luke: You probably have a fair idea.
Lesley pauses: Yes, I know. My behaviour of late has been suspicious. I should have been open with him.
Luke: So what am I going to tell Rob? That you clocked me and my cover was blown, so I know nothing? I won't get a bonus for that information, if even a payment.
Lesley sighs: It's a difficult one. I met Rob when I was a young lady. I was lost and sad. He was a bit older than me, seven years older. He was kind and he took me in. I soon realised he was very conservative and not that understanding of the mistakes others make. So I kept a secret from him. I'm telling you all this as you are a private investigator and such stories are common to you. Only my friend Sally, whom I picked up earlier, knows about this.
Lesley continues: When I was young, I had a baby, a girl, and my parents said I had to give 'it' up. It was better that way, rather than being a solo mum. I did and then met Rob shortly after that. He wouldn't have wanted me with a baby, I just know.
Luke: So how does this fit in with my being employed?
Lesley: One day I decided to trace my daughter and was having trouble finding anything out. I broke some rules as a police officer to track her down. I connected with my daughter, and we now meet in a clandestine manner, to accommodate my situation.
Luke: And your friend Sally, who accompanies you?
Lesley: She does have someone on the side. We both get what we want, but she gets what Rob thinks I'm getting.
Luke jokingly responds: I might have to speak to Sally's husband. I could do with some extra work. Then getting serious, so what do I tell Rob?
Lesley pauses: Tell him you have found the answer and that when I get home, I will explain everything.
Lesley: This is my daughter, Shona. This is our once a month weekend where we meet face to face. Otherwise, careful phone calls and texts, the ones that get Rob very suspicious about.
Lesley then goes introspective: I should have told him, as it's understandable that my actions are suspicious. His employing you means it's come to a head and it now needs to be in the open. Besides, Shona wants to meet Rob and hopefully get to know him. We never had children of our own. Rob couldn't.
Luke: Now he can have a daughter, one any man would be proud to have.
Shona blushes: Thank you.
Luke: Enjoy your weekend. I'll tell Rob to expect an explanation.
Lesley: Actually, I have an idea. Could you do me a favour Luke? Can we all go to our place now, the three of us. You tell Rob the basic story, and with you there, he may be a little less likely to react negatively. Luke nods in approval.
They arrive in two cars and go into the Ames' house. Luke outlines what he found out and then Lesley fills in the details. Rob is shocked, seeing a step-daughter he never knew about.
Rob: Why didn't you tell me, Lesley?
Lesley: I thought you wouldn't understand.
Luke: Now he can have a daughter, one any man would be proud to have.
Shona blushes: Thank you.
Luke: Enjoy your weekend. I'll tell Rob to expect an explanation.
Lesley: Actually, I have an idea. Could you do me a favour Luke? Can we all go to our place now, the three of us. You tell Rob the basic story, and with you there, he may be a little less likely to react negatively. Luke nods in approval.
They arrive in two cars and go into the Ames' house. Luke outlines what he found out and then Lesley fills in the details. Rob is shocked, seeing a step-daughter he never knew about.
Rob: Why didn't you tell me, Lesley?
Lesley: I thought you wouldn't understand.
With tears in his eyes, he goes over to Shona and hugs her. He then says how when they couldn't have children, it tore him up inside, that he felt a failure. Now that he has a daughter, he is over the moon.
Luke: I'll leave you all to make up for lost time.
Rob turns to Luke: Send me the invoice, and for once, I'll gladly pay a bill.
Luke: Sure thing. It won't be a biggie. I didn't spend much time on it.
As Luke gets in his old grey hatchback, he reflects. Often his job leads to a sad or, at times, dull ending. Few are happy, and for that reason, he can leave with a broad smile on his face, knowing it worked out well.

No comments:
Post a Comment