The Harris’ are at the Davis’ home and after cards, the couples are joking and the wine flows.
Trish: Oh you guys, I love having you here. We get on so well.
Ruth: Yeah, we love it too. Ruth nudges Simon with her elbow. Right honey?
Simon: Yes, um, it's very nice, though maybe we should think about heading home soon?
Rob: Oh come on mate, it's only 10pm! Live a little! He pours Simon another drink.
Ruth: See? Even Rob thinks you need to loosen up. Leans in closer to Simon. One more round of cards?
Simon sighs but smiles: Alright, one more round. But then we really should....
Ruth: Perfect! Immediately starts shuffling the deck. Trish, be my partner this time!
Trish: Oh you're on! Prepare to lose, boys!
Rob with a mock gasp: Did you just challenge us, ladies? Simon, we can't let this stand!
The game finishes quickly. They all sit back and relax with their drinks.
Trish: Have you heard the neighbourhood gossip?
Ruth: Ooooh do tell! Leans forward eagerly. I love a good scandal.
Trish: The Coopers and the Jacksons across the road are close friends and the Coopers went into Jackson's house. Anyway, I looked out later and there was Mr. Cooper going back to his house arm in arm with Mrs. Jackson.
Ruth: No way! And Mr. Jackson was...?
Simon: Perhaps we shouldn't be discussing our neighbors like this...
Trish ignores Simon: He was still in the Jackson house with Mrs. Jackson!
Rob: Seems they've got themselves a nice little arrangement going.
Ruth grins mischievously: Simon, maybe we should invite the Davis’ over for dinner next week... She raises her eyebrows suggestively.
Simon chokes on his drink, face turning red: Ruth, I think it's definitely time to go home now.
Trish: Oh Simon, you're adorable when you're flustered! Pats his knee. Don't worry, we'll behave ourselves.
Ruth: Alright, alright, we'll go. Grabs Simon's hand. But this conversation isn't over, mister! Winks at Trish.
Rob: Same time next week? Your place?
Simon: Er, yes, that sounds...lovely.
Ruth: Absolutely! Kisses Rob on the cheek. Thanks for having us! And for the juicy gossip!
The next evening Ruth and Simon are watching TV after dinner but Ruth is still thinking about the swinging neighbours, the Coopers and Jacksons.
Ruth stares absently at the TV: Simon...do you think we're missing out?
Simon: Missing out? On what?
Ruth turns to face him: You know...on experiences. Like the Coopers and Jacksons.
Simon: I..that is...Ruth, we're not...
Ruth grins and crawls into his lap: Come on, don't tell me the idea hasn't crossed your mind...Traces her fingers down his chest. Just think about it. Then shapes to kiss Simon.
Simon melts into the kiss before pulling away slightly: Ruth...are you serious about this?
Ruth: Dead serious. Imagine seeing me with Rob...or you with Trish... Bites his earlobe playfully.
Simon groans: You're going to be the death of me.
Ruth grins victoriously: But what a way to go! Now...let's discuss this properly.
Simon: How do you know the Davis' would want that anyway?
Ruth: Oh please. Rolls her eyes. Did you see how Trish was looking at you? And Rob definitely checks me out when he thinks I'm not looking. We've invited them over for dinner next weekend and...test the waters.
Simon: I can't believe we're actually considering this.
Ruth: Trust me, you'll thank me later. Kisses him softly.
The next morning, Simon wakes first and makes tea. Ruth comes down and kisses him from behind.
Trish: Have you heard the neighbourhood gossip?
Ruth: Ooooh do tell! Leans forward eagerly. I love a good scandal.
Trish: The Coopers and the Jacksons across the road are close friends and the Coopers went into Jackson's house. Anyway, I looked out later and there was Mr. Cooper going back to his house arm in arm with Mrs. Jackson.
Ruth: No way! And Mr. Jackson was...?
Simon: Perhaps we shouldn't be discussing our neighbors like this...
Trish ignores Simon: He was still in the Jackson house with Mrs. Jackson!
Rob: Seems they've got themselves a nice little arrangement going.
Ruth grins mischievously: Simon, maybe we should invite the Davis’ over for dinner next week... She raises her eyebrows suggestively.
Simon chokes on his drink, face turning red: Ruth, I think it's definitely time to go home now.
Trish: Oh Simon, you're adorable when you're flustered! Pats his knee. Don't worry, we'll behave ourselves.
Ruth: Alright, alright, we'll go. Grabs Simon's hand. But this conversation isn't over, mister! Winks at Trish.
Rob: Same time next week? Your place?
Simon: Er, yes, that sounds...lovely.
Ruth: Absolutely! Kisses Rob on the cheek. Thanks for having us! And for the juicy gossip!
The next evening Ruth and Simon are watching TV after dinner but Ruth is still thinking about the swinging neighbours, the Coopers and Jacksons.
Ruth stares absently at the TV: Simon...do you think we're missing out?
Simon: Missing out? On what?
Ruth turns to face him: You know...on experiences. Like the Coopers and Jacksons.
Simon: I..that is...Ruth, we're not...
Ruth grins and crawls into his lap: Come on, don't tell me the idea hasn't crossed your mind...Traces her fingers down his chest. Just think about it. Then shapes to kiss Simon.
Simon melts into the kiss before pulling away slightly: Ruth...are you serious about this?
Ruth: Dead serious. Imagine seeing me with Rob...or you with Trish... Bites his earlobe playfully.
Simon groans: You're going to be the death of me.
Ruth grins victoriously: But what a way to go! Now...let's discuss this properly.
Simon: How do you know the Davis' would want that anyway?
Ruth: Oh please. Rolls her eyes. Did you see how Trish was looking at you? And Rob definitely checks me out when he thinks I'm not looking. We've invited them over for dinner next weekend and...test the waters.
Simon: I can't believe we're actually considering this.
Ruth: Trust me, you'll thank me later. Kisses him softly.
The next morning, Simon wakes first and makes tea. Ruth comes down and kisses him from behind.
Ruth: Morning handsome.
Simon: Morning trouble.
Ruth: So...still thinking about last night's conversation?
Simon: I haven't been able to think about anything else.
Ruth: Good. Because I already confirmed with Trish about dinner next Saturday.
Simon: Oh boy, let's not embarrass ourselves by suggesting something that goes down badly.
Ruth: Relax! I just said we'd love to have them over for dinner, nothing suspicious. Just trust me on this.
Simon: Alright, alright. But we take it slow, understand? No rushing into anything.
Ruth salutes: Yes sir! Now, about that shower we were going to take together.
Simon: Now that's an idea I can get behind. He stands up and scoops her into his arms.
Ruth squeals with laughter: Simon Haris! Since when did you get so bold? She wraps arms around his neck.
Next morning, the Harris' are sitting bleary eyed with a coffee and toast.
Ruth: So...worth it?
Simon: Yeah...yeah it was.
Ruth: Same! Kisses his cheek. Same time next week?
Simon chuckles: You're insatiable.
Ruth: And you love it! She snuggles into him. This is going to be so much fun.
Time passed and the weekly 'fun' becomes more mundane. Card playing had long gone from the dynamic and with the swapping not so fun, it peters out. The Davis' relationship deteriorates and Rob leaves for another woman. They sell their house.
The Harris’ are sitting in the lounge one night.
Ruth: So...still thinking about last night's conversation?
Simon: I haven't been able to think about anything else.
Ruth: Good. Because I already confirmed with Trish about dinner next Saturday.
Simon: Oh boy, let's not embarrass ourselves by suggesting something that goes down badly.
Ruth: Relax! I just said we'd love to have them over for dinner, nothing suspicious. Just trust me on this.
Simon: Alright, alright. But we take it slow, understand? No rushing into anything.
Ruth salutes: Yes sir! Now, about that shower we were going to take together.
Simon: Now that's an idea I can get behind. He stands up and scoops her into his arms.
Ruth squeals with laughter: Simon Haris! Since when did you get so bold? She wraps arms around his neck.
Next Saturday comes and they have dinner together. Simon is sitting opposite Trish and Ruth opposite Rob. Trish is smiling futively at Simon, gauging his demeanour. Simon does find Trish attractive, so smiles back but nervously. Ruth and Bob, meanwhile, are chatting happily.
Then after dinner drinks, followed by Simon getting the cards out.
Ruth: Oh not cards again. Pouts playfully. Can't we do something more...exciting?
Trish grins: Like what did you have in mind?
Ruth smirks: Oh I don't know...maybe...a game of dare? First dare, Simon, you have to kiss Trish!
Simon blushing: Ruth!
Trish bats her eyelashes: I wouldn't mind.
Rob: Come on mate, don't keep the lady waiting.
Simon takes a deep breath: Okay...Trish pulls Simon into a deep kiss.
Rob: Well...this is certainly more interesting than cards!
Ruth: Told you it would be fun.
Simon is dazed: I...can't believe we just did that...
Trish: Believe it, handsome. Strokes his bearded cheek. And there's plenty more where that came from.
Rob stands up: Shall we take this party to somewhere more...comfortable? My place Ruth?
Ruth: Lead the way! She grabs Rob's hand. Ready for the best night of your life, Simon?
Simon gulps: I...guess?
Trish Oh Simon, you're adorable! She links arms with him. Don't worry, lead me upstairs.
Ruth: Oh not cards again. Pouts playfully. Can't we do something more...exciting?
Trish grins: Like what did you have in mind?
Ruth smirks: Oh I don't know...maybe...a game of dare? First dare, Simon, you have to kiss Trish!
Simon blushing: Ruth!
Trish bats her eyelashes: I wouldn't mind.
Rob: Come on mate, don't keep the lady waiting.
Simon takes a deep breath: Okay...Trish pulls Simon into a deep kiss.
Rob: Well...this is certainly more interesting than cards!
Ruth: Told you it would be fun.
Simon is dazed: I...can't believe we just did that...
Trish: Believe it, handsome. Strokes his bearded cheek. And there's plenty more where that came from.
Rob stands up: Shall we take this party to somewhere more...comfortable? My place Ruth?
Ruth: Lead the way! She grabs Rob's hand. Ready for the best night of your life, Simon?
Simon gulps: I...guess?
Trish Oh Simon, you're adorable! She links arms with him. Don't worry, lead me upstairs.
As Rob and Ruth walk to Rob's house, Rob looks across to Ruth.
Rob: I thought Simon would be the fly in the ointment.
Ruth: Nah, I always win him around, even if it takes a little time.
Rob: You do realise we never saw the Coopers and Jacksons do anything like this.
Ruth: Yeah, Trish told me later you got the idea from a video you watched.
Rob: We just thought it was a good way to introduce the idea. Something others do, even in our neighbourhood.
Next morning, the Harris' are sitting bleary eyed with a coffee and toast.
Ruth: So...worth it?
Simon: Yeah...yeah it was.
Ruth: Same! Kisses his cheek. Same time next week?
Simon chuckles: You're insatiable.
Ruth: And you love it! She snuggles into him. This is going to be so much fun.
Time passed and the weekly 'fun' becomes more mundane. Card playing had long gone from the dynamic and with the swapping not so fun, it peters out. The Davis' relationship deteriorates and Rob leaves for another woman. They sell their house.
The Harris’ are sitting in the lounge one night.
Simon: We had such a good card playing arrangement. We spiced it up and now we sit in the evenings watching TV or doing media stuff online. But I think we learned something from all this.
Ruth: What's that?
Simon: That we don't need anyone else romantically. Just you and me is enough. But if we do form a social friendship, not to become a clique. Invite others. Keep a broader circle of friends.
Ruth: Yeah...true. I hope what happened didn't derail the Davis' relationship.
Simon: We'll never know, but I suspect it did. In hindsight, I wish we had kept it to cards and invited others from time to time. The truth is its a flawed idea that giving up what’s special between a couple is harmless. We’re lucky it didn’t derail our marriage. Sighs. All because of the Coopers and the Jacksons giving us the idea.
Ruth: Er..yes. All because of that.
Simon: That we don't need anyone else romantically. Just you and me is enough. But if we do form a social friendship, not to become a clique. Invite others. Keep a broader circle of friends.
Ruth: Yeah...true. I hope what happened didn't derail the Davis' relationship.
Simon: We'll never know, but I suspect it did. In hindsight, I wish we had kept it to cards and invited others from time to time. The truth is its a flawed idea that giving up what’s special between a couple is harmless. We’re lucky it didn’t derail our marriage. Sighs. All because of the Coopers and the Jacksons giving us the idea.
Ruth: Er..yes. All because of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment