Syd: Sure. They slip into a vacant side room.
Anna: I got a sniff that there is a gambling ring operating in an old building in Lark Lane. Officer Malloy offered me a bribe today, to ignore it.
Syd: What did you do Anna?
Anna: I didn't take it. But I was told that was a bad move and if I knew what was good for me, I'd change my mind. Now I'm really worried about any repercussions.
Syd: For that kind of threat, Malloy isn't acting alone. It's unlikely he would be so sure of some sort of reprisal if acting solo. If you report the illegal operation, I'd assume Malloy or someone else on the take would tip them off anyway.
Anna: So what do I do Syd? If corruption goes above Malloy, I could be in trouble. Should I have taken it?
Syd: I can't answer for you but I'm proud that you took that stand. Still, it sounds like you're in for a rough time. See what happens. Reporting won't get you anywhere if the corruption goes high enough?
Anna: I'm scared.
Syd: With good reason. I'll do something to help if I can. Let’s not be friendly in front of others in the precinct so I can operated without suspicion.
Anna: Thanks.
A few days pass and Syd hears that Anna is accused of using excessive force on a suspect. The criminal complains and Officer Malloy substantiates the claim. Anna is stood down, pending an investigation. Syd decides to put some heat on the gambling operation. He gets to know how and where they operate.
Syd gets assigned to work with Molloy and shortly after Syd goes to him and says he's had a tip off of something illegal, but that they need to move quickly and he'll tell him on the way. Molloy won’t tip off the gamblers this way. They enter Lark Lane and park, waiting and watching. Malloy is uneasy.
Anna: So what do I do Syd? If corruption goes above Malloy, I could be in trouble. Should I have taken it?
Syd: I can't answer for you but I'm proud that you took that stand. Still, it sounds like you're in for a rough time. See what happens. Reporting won't get you anywhere if the corruption goes high enough?
Anna: I'm scared.
Syd: With good reason. I'll do something to help if I can. Let’s not be friendly in front of others in the precinct so I can operated without suspicion.
Anna: Thanks.
A few days pass and Syd hears that Anna is accused of using excessive force on a suspect. The criminal complains and Officer Malloy substantiates the claim. Anna is stood down, pending an investigation. Syd decides to put some heat on the gambling operation. He gets to know how and where they operate.
Syd gets assigned to work with Molloy and shortly after Syd goes to him and says he's had a tip off of something illegal, but that they need to move quickly and he'll tell him on the way. Molloy won’t tip off the gamblers this way. They enter Lark Lane and park, waiting and watching. Malloy is uneasy.
Syd: My tip sounded credible, something about illegal gambling.
Molloy: Who told you?
Syd: I'd rather not say right now. I must say you don't look happy about it. Any reason for that?
Molloy: I'm just surprised, that's all. I know the area like the back of my hand. There's nothing here.
Syd: Right. Well, no harm in checking it out.
Syd leaves the car and walks towards the building. Malloy follows.
Molloy: Hey Syd, there is something but...we leave it alone. The guy running it has people in higher places than us on his side. I don't like it, but it is what it is. This is my patch and I know to do nothing. There is something in it for you if we leave it. Regular, untraceable and as you are now working with me, I need you to come on board. On our pay, the cash would come in useful.
Syd looks at Molloy and realises he has been worn down by a corrupt system to accept that he can’t beat it and he might as well look after himself. Take on the system and lose anyway.
Syd: So if we did bust this operation, what would be the outcome?
Molloy: Someone higher up would bury the report. You would be transferred to another station where you'd be punished with unpaid overtime and lousy shifts for being a trouble maker. Anna wouldn't take the money and where is she now? Suspended and doomed to be fired dishonourably. I'm not kidding Syd. Think about Anna, having her career ruined for being honest. It's realistic to accept it and just go with the flow.
Syd: I get it. But why did you join the police? To end up being bribed to let criminals operate freely?
Molloy: I wanted to help people but life isn't that simple.
Syd:: Hypothetically, what if you could beat them, would you turn your back on the bribe money and do it?
Molloy: If you could prove corruption isn’t that high up the pecking order, yes. But you can't. We just don’t know.
Syd: I can. The deputy chief assigned me to work with you because he is suspicious that there is corruption in this precinct. He said if we start clearing up some of the crime, he will personally make sure we get the backing.
Molloy: Are you kidding me? The deputy chief? But I've been on the take so I’ll be in trouble.
Syd: I'll put a word in for you about your cooperation and the pressure you were experiencing from above. I think he can smooth things over.
They get back up, do the raid and catch the gang. On Malloy's testimony, some of the corrupt police are charged but some can't be implicated. Still, they are on notice that they are being watched. Molloy is allowed to stay on but is put on probation, the pressure applied to him from above saving him. Anna is reinstated.
Anna and Syd go out for a dinner she insists on shouting him. They sit at a table, enjoying a wine while waiting for the food. Syd is nervously thinking about how to say what he is feeling while Anna talks excitedly.
Anna: Thanks Syd. I was really afraid there.
Syd: We were lucky that corruption didn't go too high. I took a punt on the deputy chief being clean. Had he not been, I would have joined you on the unemployed line. I'm glad to have such a fine officer as you Anna back on the beat.
Anna: Thank you. She smiles briefly, then looks serious. I don't think such a good outcome is the norm.
Syd: No, society is corrupt through and through. We get the petty criminals but the big boys know how to protect themselves.
Anna: So what keeps you going Syd?
Syd: The little victories Anna. Like tonight.
Anna: Tonight?
Syd: Dinner with you. Syd winks romantically at her.
Anna: Oh Syd, you charmer. She smiles back approvingly.
Syd: Hopefully, this isn't our last dinner together. Syd looks hopefully across to Anna.
Anna: Well, I'm not going to say no... She glances coyly across to Syd.
Syd is relieved: Well that settles it Anna. Let's see where it leads and if it goes well, then we have to report it. It should be okay as we are not in the same direct chain of command, so there is no conflict of interest.
Anna: Oh Syd, you do things by the book but we both know that is the only way to do it.
Syd finally smiles: In this precinct it is, now.
Syd: We were lucky that corruption didn't go too high. I took a punt on the deputy chief being clean. Had he not been, I would have joined you on the unemployed line. I'm glad to have such a fine officer as you Anna back on the beat.
Anna: Thank you. She smiles briefly, then looks serious. I don't think such a good outcome is the norm.
Syd: No, society is corrupt through and through. We get the petty criminals but the big boys know how to protect themselves.
Anna: So what keeps you going Syd?
Syd: The little victories Anna. Like tonight.
Anna: Tonight?
Syd: Dinner with you. Syd winks romantically at her.
Anna: Oh Syd, you charmer. She smiles back approvingly.
Syd: Hopefully, this isn't our last dinner together. Syd looks hopefully across to Anna.
Anna: Well, I'm not going to say no... She glances coyly across to Syd.
Syd is relieved: Well that settles it Anna. Let's see where it leads and if it goes well, then we have to report it. It should be okay as we are not in the same direct chain of command, so there is no conflict of interest.
Anna: Oh Syd, you do things by the book but we both know that is the only way to do it.
Syd finally smiles: In this precinct it is, now.


No comments:
Post a Comment